Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
ok so neural networks right?? animators make simple 3 models like an older PC game right

imagine grass. simple triangles

and then some selective thing and a person helps a neural network, and feeds it images of real grass and "applies" it to the grass..

imagine the result: this will be a weird real like but nothing like traditional 3D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

you working on it in unreal?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
mate actually producing this is way beyond me

but if you made the images simple enough so someone or the computer could differentiate the grass from like dirt and so only grass got applied to grass I don't think it's actually that far away from current tech at all

putting CG through neural networks and applying natural based poo poo is gonna a weird result

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
what if you made a movie while smoking a fatty blunt

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot
echi this is already kind of being done, where assets are being generated procedurally based on criteria. speedtree's one example

and then you can look at more crazy poo poo like terragen

like the foliage and small rocks in that scene aren't made by hand at all. they're just generated by the software

Space-Pope fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Apr 29, 2016

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
that is really neat and good but that is just the same poo poo we've been doing but on a higher level.

the idea isn't to get it to look realistic.. the idea is to paint a fake world with realistic assets, to create some new kind of form of animation

in a way it wouldnt be completely unlike that scanner darkly poo poo, you know, applying a global effect over a video, but in this case, the original content is basic 3d poo poo and then the filter is a neural network "painting" realistic looking assets on it

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

machine learning is a way to turn stoner thoughts into reality

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Space-Pope posted:

echi this is already kind of being done, where assets are being generated procedurally based on criteria. speedtree's one example

and then you can look at more crazy poo poo like terragen

like the foliage and small rocks in that scene aren't made by hand at all. they're just generated by the software

I played around with procedural poo poo with UE4, nothing like that but making procedureal assets was awesome.

IMO if it's used to make a game what should be done is a combination because games with randomly generated worlds are boring becasue everyone experiences a different game and there is no common world for people to talk about. so for example in the game I was making I laid down the level myself but a lot of the side parts that weren't particular relevant, or even the colours of the blocks etc, changed every time

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

power botton posted:

machine learning is a way to turn stoner thoughts into reality

yeah so true

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Silver Alicorn posted:

what if you made a movie while smoking a fatty blunt

taking drugs to make movies to take drugs to

Adbot