Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

DeTosh posted:

Is there anywhere I can get a pdf of this system? I've been curious about it for a while, and this game looks awesome.

...but I'd rather not spring for a physical copy that won't be out until recruitment is long past.

In the same boat, really. The story looks cool, and PBTA games are neat, but I'd really want to read the mechanics a bit before committing to an idea to make sure they work how I think they do. I know this Kickstarted, but is there anywhere to get a legit PDF?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

KittyEmpress posted:

The PDFs are only officially available to those who backed - all that has been released thus far is a small section on GMing, the basic moves, and the ten playbooks.

Sokay, I found the beta versions on DriveThruRPG. Are those still accurate enough to use?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Backstory:

[[ Interview 032 - Nakamura, M | Property Of Jupiter 315 LLC | DO NOT DISTRIBUTE ]]

"Okay, Phoenix, this interview is just for our records, the Board just wants to know a bit more about the background of someone we are sponsoring."

The teenage girl seated on a reinforced chair in the blandly neutral corporate interview room nods, turning glowing red eyes directly at the camera before turning back to her interviewer. "That is understandable," Maya says softly, leaning back in the chair and trying to ignore the slight creak it makes under her weight. "Please proceed."

"Great. For the record, please tell us about yourself."

"I am the Silver Phoenix. I am just beginning my career as a hero, and seeking sponsorship seems the responsible way to go about it. I believe that our society needs heroes, and it is a role I can play well."

Her voice is quiet and nearly monotone, and the face in the camera is almost expressionless and doll-like. She raises one hand, clenching and unclenching robotic fingers with a slight whine of servos. "This body will prove adequate to the task."

"Right. I suppose I should have clarified. Who are you when you aren't in costume?"

"I am unsure what you mean. This is what I am now." She stares unblinking at the interviewer for a slightly too long moment. "Ah, I see. I was Maya Nakamura, a freshman at Central Polytechnic High School, until two years ago."

"You were part of the Central Incident."

"Yes. One of the survivors of the rare attack of an actual supervillian. There are things I am not allowed to speak of, but I can say Basilisk's attempt to create a higher form of technological life did not go as planned. Many of my classmates were trapped by him as well, for the two days it took for several heroes to converge and strike down his guardians." The chair creaks again as Silver shifts, looking down at her hands in her lap, but she continues to speak without any great emotion. "Most of them were fine once released from his machines, not even remembering the simulation he had plunged them into. A few had been 'modified', as I have been."

"So the casualties...."

"Yes. Their bodies could not adapt."

"Yours could, though?"

SIlver looks up, a wince the first real expression she's shown in the interview, the glow of her robotic irises seeming to brighten for a moment. "It seems I had a previously unrevealed Gift. Technopathy, they call it. My mind, unlike those others, was able to integrate with the machinery as if it were my own body. They perished, and I survived as what I had become."

"Well, we are glad you did. What happened next?"

"Therapy. A lot of it. It took me almost a year to be able to talk about it, and to learn to use this body and my power properly took even longer. Doctor Sarah Owens has been working with me since I woke back up, and I owe her a great deal for helping me see that I could do something good with what I am now, rather than just hiding from the world."

"That can't have been easy."

"It wasn't." The cold monotone is back, and Silver looks away again. "It took a lot to accept that I'm just not human anymore." She gestures with one hand, the metal plating serving as its skin glinting in the fluorescent lights. "My parents never managed it. They're still mourning the daughter they lost, and find my presence painful."

"Ah, my apologies. I did not mean to hit tender subject."

The young cyborg sighs, then grins a bit wryly. "Not your fault. I've told this story so many times that it doesn't sting that badly anymore. I am sure you can understand now why I was so eager for this chance to put this body to use."

"Indeed. One last question, though. Why this team?"

"They take me seriously, and see a fellow heroine, not a cripple or a monster. I may not be the girl I once was, but I can definitely see a future in the heroics business. Besides, it's not like I can go back to high school. They figure a girl with a built in cell phone who can Google with her mind has an unfair advantage on standardized tests!"

[[ - END TAPE - ]]

quote:

1. What corporation in the Corporate Alliance approached you? What do they make/do/research? (Remember, these are smaller companies, not worldspanning organizations!)

I was approached by Jupiter 315, a medical rehabilitation company who was interested in seeing my heroics as an encouragement to people using their prosthetics to live a fuller life. They knew of me as they were part of the rehabilitation for others from my school. I was happy to work with them because I think they could do a lot of good in the world.

quote:

2. What hero do you look up to, and from what Generation do they hail? Are they still alive? Still active?

Alastra has long been a heroine of mine, since before I knew I was anything but a normal little girl. She was a Second Generation heroine, who discovered her sidekick turned to living stone by an arcane experiment gone tragically wrong. What I admire most is that she did not give up, or hold the transformation against herself. She chose to work by his side instead, until they both vanished near the end of the Great War.

quote:

3. What is your opinion on the Heroic Sponsorship program?

I’m not sure it will work for everyone, but it seems a fair way to let those of us with superhuman abilities earn a living with them while still providing for the public trust.

quote:

4. (Optional) Thread title suggestions, give them to me!

Masks : Reasonably Priced Heroics

quote:

Hero Name: Silver Phoenix
Playbook: The Transformed
Look: Female, Asian, Metallic Flesh, No Costume, Upsetting Eyes
Abilities: Inhuman Might, Technopathy – SP’s body is roughly 70% cybernetic replacements, most of which are obvious and unsubtle. In particular people seem to recoil from her eyes, as they are clearly inhuman, and her limbs are obviously cybernetic, with brushed chrome skin and visible mechanical details.

Labels:
Freak +3
Danger + 1
Savior 0
Superior -1
Mundane -1

Moves:

Not Human Enough: When you directly engage a threat in a terrifying fashion, mark a condition to choose an additional option, even on a miss.

Unstoppable: When you smash your way through scenery to get to or away from something, roll + Danger. On a hit, the world breaks before you, and you get what you want. On a 7-9, choose one: mark a condition; leave something behind; take something with you.

Be The Monster: When you frighten, intimidate, or cow others with your monstrous form, roll + Freak. On a hit, they are thrown off and make themselves vulnerable to you, or they flee. On a 10+, choose
1. On a 7-9, choose
2. - You frighten others you had not intended to scare. - You hurt someone or break something you shouldn't have. - You feel like more of a monster afterward; mark a condition (GM's choice).
On a miss, they react with violence, hatred, and paranoia, and you suffer the brunt of it

Team Moves:

When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, clear 1 condition if they treat you like a person, and mark potential if they treat you like a team mate.

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, ask them if they think you're losing or gaining humanity. If they say losing, mark a condition and mark potential. If they say gaining clear a condition and shift Mundane up and any other Label down.

Moment of Truth:

It's so easy to forget that you're not your body, and you're not the voice in your head---you're both. Be the monster, and save them anyway. Smash down walls, and speak softly. Because when you embrace it, you can do anything. Of course, putting on a display like this is sure to get unwanted attention...

quote:

Still to be answered:
When our team first came together… We drew attention and ire from plenty during the fight. One important person in particular now hates and fears us. Who is it?
Relationships:
___________________ comforted you when you were at your lowest.
___________________ knew you before you changed.
Influence:
You try not to care what other people think, even if it isn't going too well. Give Influence to one teammate.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

KittyEmpress posted:

ROUND ONE QUESTIONS
Silver Phoenix, the Transformed - What is the hardest part of who you are now?

The hardest part of what I am now? Trying to get... close to people. I notice, you know? People avoid me. Parents take their kids to the other side of the street when I pass. I really hope that making a name for myself as a heroine will make them see, or at least help me find some friends.

KittyEmpress posted:

Do your limbs heal automatically, or do they have to be 'repaired'?

My limbs do heal automatically, as it happens, but definitely not quickly. Repair is much faster. Apparently some kind of nanomachinery that Basilisk used in the creation of them has self-repair functions. It doesn't feel like I remember healing to feel like, from my perspective, but then I don't feel much at all from them. My technopathy gives me touch, but I feel a sense of damage more than pain.

KittyEmpress posted:

Do you still live with the family that mourns 'you', or did you have to leave?

No, I... it was better that I not. I was in an in-patient rehabilitation clinic for much of my recovery, and the Corporate Alliance has been kind enough to provide me with living space suited to the needs of this body since I began working with them as part of my pay. I used to write sometimes, but they haven't ever written back. It is probably better this way.

• Locked thread