Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

LemonDrizzle posted:

Judging by her Marr appearance, Diane Abbott has been taking media handling lessons from Ken Livingstone.

Hello fire, why dont you have some petrol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Firos posted:

Zac Goldsmith is getting bulldozed on Sunday Politics :stare:

Its a right shoeing.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Firos posted:

Not on iplayer yet, and Zac Goldsmith isn't on it any more.

Its on live tv, and you can rewind to it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/live/bbcone

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Goldsmirth squirming when put under pressure was lovely.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Namtab posted:

I do not believe for a nanosecond that pissflaps is working class

Don't project onto others.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Do you all not see the irony in you all derailing a thread for 2 pages by complaining about a poster derailing a thread?

NO gently caress YOU DAD posted:

You didn't mention the worst part - they're not just banning them being shown on Saturday nights, they're banning them ever being scheduled against commercial rivals.

I forsee a nice job on ITV's board for John Whittingdale once he's done giving the hand of the free market a little help.

Also this is about as blatant it can be that they want the BBC to fail.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Dead Goon posted:

Universal Jobmatch is loving useless at monitoring online job hunting activity.

Is that the one that only works on the job center website which is garbage useless since almost all jobs are listed on agency websites now?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Jose posted:

surely you can take them to court for that

Not a chance. Marketing budget not staff budget etc etc.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Jose posted:

gently caress, i had no idea redundancies could be made that easily

Oh yeah, its ridiculously easy to make people redundant from even a profit making company. See British Gas letting go of a bunch of call center workers a few years ago.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

The Libearian posted:

Was trying to work out what had shook the house it felt like something massive had fallen on roof.

That was the entire country celebrating.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

thehustler posted:

Straight out to sea below Scotland, then. Draw a line from Yorkshire to Newcastle and out in to sea and there's your estimate of where it's going.

Towards Norway. Russian Bear then.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Oberleutnant posted:

Try living in the south. we dont get overflown by supersonic raf jets because all the tory mps living round here would throw a loving fit in parliament about reckless boy racer pilots.

It happened the other month for a non responsive small plane. I remember hearing the bang and the local papers were up in arms at the cost to the tax payer because some arsehole didnt maintain his radio and it broke.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

LemonDrizzle posted:

Via the Sun; no link because the Sun:

This is literally the Spinners and Losers episode of Thick of It.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Turns out the majority of politicians are retarded.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Seaside Loafer posted:

I just want to know whats going on, it sounds a bit like the bastards have either told people not to come in to punish them for daring to strike or the conductors have done a stealth strike.

They're saying its a crew shortage problem, that could possibly go on all week. Sounds like work to rule to me.

https://twitter.com/SouthernRailUK/status/727871558346280961

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Gonzo McFee posted:

But he was a soldier!

We joke but thats probably enough.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
What time will Goldsmith start crying tonight?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Pesmerga posted:

We're only voting for police crime commissioners in my area. Polls have been open a while and I'm the only person to have voted. Good chance of swinging an election for a change! :getin:

I voted at 8 and I was the 2nd person. The people there didn't hold out much hope for a high turnout as mine is just the PCC only too.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
The exit polls will be out after 10 right?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

IceAgeComing posted:

No exit polls; the broadcasters don't bother to commission them for elections that aren't the General Election

This is disappointing.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

TheHoodedClaw posted:

London Mayoral count doesn't start until 8am on Friday.

This is disappointing

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Tesseraction posted:

London Mayoral result expected some time around 5 onwards tomorrow.

If Zac Goldsmith somehow pulls a win out of his arse I'll probably not be replying in here for a few days as I go on a bender weekend.

I think there would be riots.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Namtab posted:

I'm watching some show called news night and this BBC political editor doesn't seem very impartial

Not watching but im going to take a wild stab at Laura 'Engineered a shadow cabinet ministers resignation live on air' Kuenessberg?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

a pipe smoking dog posted:

So I'm right in thinking that the reason that labour did so poorly in Scotland is because the most important split is nationalist V unionist, and whereas the Tories are firmly unionist, labour didn't really make there position clear so as to avoid upsetting anyone?

They did poorly because Scotland has a lot of farmland and thats traditionally massively right wing. The general election made use of the momentum from the referendum but the underlying tory always comes back. Labour did poorly because there is no left in Scotland anymore.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Trickjaw posted:

He persuaded enough of the public to come from obscurity to the leadership.

The reports of terrible turnout make me think this is yet another fad culture moment and some of the people who paid 3 quid to vote him in have gotten bored.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Fans posted:

I'm glad the explanation satisfies even you.

Mods shouldn't be editing posts they disagree with imo

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
So Morgan has had to U-Turn on her forced academy plan, and now Hunt has had to climb down from his high horse and go back to the negotiating table with the BMA. Glorious.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

blowfish posted:

I don't even understand how academisation is supposed to produce any benefits (besides being easily abused as a handout to rich people).

On the surface its a great idea for schools in areas with a huge education population and budgetary issues. These are schools that have very little money and as such the education quality for the children suffers for it. The idea is you take poorly performing schools with no money and bring in outside investment to give them all the advantages top schools have. This then frees up that schools budget for the LEA to disperse among the left over schools. Everyone benefits.

Unfortunately what this ends up being is a funnel for money straight to the pockets of the directors at best, sex segregated religious schools at worst and then the LEA have to pick up the pieces when it goes tits up.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
A Labour MP has hosed up and sent an e-mail to a journalist instead of John Mann

https://twitter.com/Redlabour2016/status/729242211070644225

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

thespaceinvader posted:

"Accidentally"

Well yes that did cross my mind too.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Don't Lol me posted:

Doesn't really help much as there is no context of how many seats were held before. If you're implying that local elections were some kind of yardstick to measure performance for the next general, perhaps look at how things went for Michael Foot and Ed Milliband.

I'm gonna pull this up since its the epitome of whats doing my nut in about this thread at the moment. There seems to be some sort of disease that means genuine criticism of Corbyn has to be ignored with any amount of hoop jumping possible. Here you have irrefutable proof that the man has done worse in their first set of council elections than anyone else in recent memory, and the response? 'Well it doesn't count.' In fact I see that sort of response a lot. Heads stuck in sand and everything else blamed.

Council elections have been, and always will be a yardstick for political parties. To try and hand wave that away because its now looking bad for dear leader is just silly. Miliband and Foot had tremendous amounts of good will gained with the public when they were first elected. That they failed to convert that into becoming Prime Minister has a lot of reasons but they at least had a solid base to try and start from. The current Tory government are experiencing one of the great political meltdowns and this has actually worked out better for them. There needs to be a serious, honest look at why Corbyn is where he is and what he needs, and indeed if he can, change.

Don't Lol me posted:

Yes, you totally got me there - I mean, look at how well Hague and IDS did, romping victories for all leaders who gain a few hundred seats.

You even doubled down on it in the time it took me to write that post.

Ask yourself this, if the people you named did not become Prime Minister after they gained a few hundred seats, what does that say about someone who didn't gain any?

serious gaylord fucked around with this message at 08:27 on May 9, 2016

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...s-a7020471.html

This will do absolutely nothing and go no-where but its still fun to imagine.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Phoon posted:

this is amazing, the entire weekend death thing is being called into question on the news at ten

A study came out at the start of the week that I think decided that there was no real evidence that more people died at weekends, and in fact it was probably the opposite as there were no elective surgeries on vulnerable old patients.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Jose posted:

being a drone pilot must surely cause some sort of new mental illness as you play a computer game for hours at a time murdering real people

edit: Paul the Apostle pleads his case and testifies of Christianity before King Agrippa II of the Herodians, who responds "You almost persuade me to be a Christian.

I havent read any proper studies on it so if someone could link any that would be great, but I thought one of the big positives of using drones means it doesn't feel 'real' to the people using them?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
So we've got the tories committing electoral fraud and dismantling the BBC along with the massive u turns by Hunt and Morgan. Should be a good PMQ's.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
If anyone thought it was a bit weird that Cameron made a comment about Laura Kuenssberg getting sexist abuse at PMQ's it seems to have stemmed from this petition on 38 degrees that had well over 35,000 signatures asking for her to be sacked. This whipped up a bit of a storm from her mates at other papers and all of a sudden its been removed for 'appalling sexist comments by its signatories' without them putting said comments up as evidence. Its now starting to get the same 'The left (Corbyn) is sexist' treatment that the anti-semitism thing did. Look forward to this blowing up the next time the tories need to hide something terrible.

Someone at 38 degrees however leaked all of the signatures and no-ones found anything close to 'appalling' which makes it even weirder.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
The question was asked by Lucy Allan too, the fake death threat MP.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

ronya posted:

where's the signature leak, there's nothing on google

https://www.craigmurray.org.uk/arch...nssberg-affair/

It was a link to 38 degrees backup cache which has now been removed.

quote:

The store of all the comments on the 38 Degrees petition to which I linked below, has now been taken down. It appeared to be 38 Degrees own back-up cache on the Amazon server and the link was sent to us we suspect by someone within the organisation. Not being stupid, we had made several back-up copies in different places and I will have the link working again as soon as technically possible. (Translated without bullshit – once my people wake up).

However, what does it say that having consistently been fed lies about these comments by David Cameron, Jess Phillips, 38 Degrees and the entire media, once the evidence is linked online it gets pulled at 4am in the morning?

Phoon posted:

here's some more detail, think it may have a link to the comments - he says he already combed through them for a previous article and found one comment he considered sexist - the 38 degrees people then said it was all on twitter which is weird

The entire thing is absurd. They've just given legitimacy to anyone who wants something removed to just troll the poo poo out of it. The phone conversation he had with Babb who refused to say they had more than two things that were 'evidence' is also really odd. Then like you said the narrative switched to 'people were using this to make sexist comments on twitter'.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Incase anyone missed this little ditty in the new white paper, anyone owning a mobile phone that has access to the apple/google play store will have to in practice have a tv licence just to stop the goons from turning up at your door every other day as proving you havent got the iplayer app will be impossible remotely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...s-a7027446.html

Tories have been caught not declaring mass mail out letters on local expenses too.

• Locked thread