Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

There is a good left-wing argument to leave the EU. Unfortunately it's being made by none of the half dozen campaigns that seem to exist so I'm pretty sure I'll just end up voting to Remain without any real passion or optimism that the EU won't continue to be an awful force for neo-liberalism with poo poo like TTIP. Marginally better than the alternative. I do wonder if the lack of passion from a lot of people who would probably lean Remain won't end up with Leave winning, if people just can't be hosed turning up on the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Baron Corbyn posted:

Is there another ideology called Strasserism I haven't heard of or are you a literal Nazi?

I thought we had an unwritten, unstated agreement to just not respond to this idiot's obvious trolling, every post he'd made had got not response until now & I felt very impressed with UKMT's unusual restraint.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 10:03 on May 2, 2016

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Steve2911 posted:

If you're going to put something on chips, it had better either be cheese or BBQ sauce. Unless they're loaded chips covered in various meats and fats.
I'm going to assume that you regard as vinegar as integral a part of chips as the potatoes which is why it doesn't need to be said. But yes, chips & cheese is great & I blame my time in Glasgow for introducing me to that particular artery clogging delicacy.

Anyway. TTIP is pretty hosed up, isn't it? The EU is pretty bad you guys.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

Presumably the same reason that the outline around the HP sauce includes the shadow and NI has more plate than chips. :cryingtayto:

They are. I'm not convinced that Brexit would lead to Britain taking a principled stand against it though, the current lot would just take TTIP without all that silly Workers'/Humans' Rights stuff. Although the ensuing chaos around a Leave vote would definitely oust Cameron and the neolib side of the Tories, which might let some of the more protectionist oldschool Tories stall it until someone less poo poo takes the reigns.

That's literally the only thing making me lean towards voting to Remain, that any trade deal the UK on its own signs with the US would be even loving worse than TTIP. And not just the Tories but the idiot wing of the Labour Party too. But it really is a case of having to pick the lesser of two particularly lovely evils.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

nopantsjack posted:

In Scotland they seem to be obsessed with "chippy sauce" and insist it is not the same thing as brown sauce. In my southron view its just runnier brown sauce possibly with more vinegar in it.

NB: by obssessed with I mean its available in all chippys

Salt & sauce is really more of an east coast thing. And yeah, it's watered down brown sauce. That's it.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Cerv posted:

They've given up already. And amusingly their American home town has poverty to rival Glasgow

http://www.scotsman.com/news/american-teens-who-vowed-to-save-glasgow-stop-after-abuse-1-4116568

It's a shame, because repeated governments, Westminster & Holyrood both, have failed to address the serious consequences of poverty in parts of Glasgow, especially relating to lowered life expectancy. If it takes patronising charity efforts from well-meaning Yanks to do something, I can't get offended by it. Obviously there are places that probably need that charity more urgently but people getting offended by it is a bit daft. But that's Weegies for you, a tad sensitive about their town.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Angepain posted:

John Harris continues his Anywhere but Westminster series by looking at independents taking over the council in Frome (and trying to do so in Winchester). I'm sure people in this thread will have things to say about people claiming to make decisions free of ideology, but making councils work in a way that doesn't suck does seem to be a laudable goal.

I haven't watched it yet because going all the way over to my computer to plug in my headphones seems like a lot of effort at this minute, but it's worth mentioning that until very recently independent run councils were pretty much the norm in lots of parts of Scotland. And by & large they're no less shite than councils lead by councils. If the councillor is an incompetent shithead in it for the expense allowance then it doesn't really matter if they are independent or Tory or SNP or Liberal.

But maybe things are different in Frome, I know Harris has talked about what they are trying down there before (probably in the last ABW series?) & he seemed a bit of a fan, but we'll see.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

LemonDrizzle posted:

It's quite something when the PM manages to turn PMQs, which is supposed to be an opportunity for the opposition to hold the government to account, into an opportunity to browbeat the leader of the opposition and force him to explain that actually his party is not riddled with racists and he does not regard proscribed organisations as his friends.

The PM answers with a question an awful lot, this is hardly a new thing.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

mehall posted:

Say this going round FB and thought of you, thread:

Twiglets are the best. I could eat Twiglets forever until I explode in a Mr Creosote manner

OldMemes posted:

I'd like to hear a more detailed manifesto from him, see what he has to offer.

I hope "jailing sub-Pissflaps trolls" is part of his manifesto. It's really an issue politicians need to take more seriously in TYOOL 2016

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 21:05 on May 4, 2016

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

The New Day seemed to be a really lovely newspaper. Did the world really need a daily version of Take a Break magazine? It did not warrant sharing a name with The New Day

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

JFairfax posted:

If you don't like the UK, move to Portugal, it's cheap, sunny - rough around the edges but they actually have legit communists.

My Portuguese isn't very good & also I don't have the capital to swan off to a foreign land & just hope I pick up a job there. Sort of stuck in this burning trash heap of a country unfortunately.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Fans posted:

Enjoy a Tory twisting in the wind as he tries to explain how he knows nothing, has never known anything and isn't even sure what knowledge is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkBtUJ__kmM

Michael Green is such a shifty fucker.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Hoops posted:

Did you guys already talk about Corbyn's brother today? Here are some things that the brother of the leader of the party that is currently embroiled in accusations of antisemitism said, to actual journalists:

He also apparently said there was too much "sensitivity" about antisemitism in the Labour Party.

Piers Corbyn is...Man. He's got a whole host of weird & wrong opinions. Obviously Jeremy isn't going to disown him because he's not that sort of politician but it would be nice if Piers didn't think his brothers job was a great opportunity for Piers to spout his views to a wider audience.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Paxman posted:

The inconvenient fact is that a major part of the leader's job is leading the Parliamentary party, ie the MPs. If you get a leader who the MPs oppose then it's not going to work very well, even if he was elected in a free and fair election (by other people who are not the MPs).

It's not really because they are evil Blairites. If the MPs were all Communists and the members gave them a right-wing leader you'd get problems too.

Corbyn's not a leader. I think that was clear when we (which is to say, Labour Party members) elected him. I think that was part of why Labour members voted for him in fact. Also the fact that none of the other contenders had a better chance of winning in 2020 so better to try something new & hopefully move the dialogue in the country to the left a bit after almost 4 decades of solid neo liberalism getting free reign. It'd be nice if he was also a stronger leader but it's just not in his character, he was a rebel a lot of the time as an MP. It'd be nice if he had better, smarter people advising him but at least part of the problem is a lack of experience on the left because of how the Labour right has had a stranglehold on the party mechanisms since Kinnock.

If there was someone on the Labour benches with a chance of winning the 2020 election I'd be a little sympathetic to the Blairite rebels, but they've got gently caress all, they've not even come up with any new ideas yet bar one half interesting Tristram Hunt speech that I seem to remember thinking "oh, maybe they are going back to the drawing board, that's healthy". But ultimately they have nothing new to contribute, no glaringly obvious candidates to challenge for the leadership, & are relying upon their weight of numbers in the PLP to try & ensure that on a future leadership ballot, Corbyn & any left-wing name is excluded. But there's even arguments about whether or not the leader would automatically go on the ballot if he so wishes. And if his name is there, the polling shows that Labour Party members & registered supporters would keep Corbyn in the job. It's pointless & doing at least as much damage as Ken Livingstone's fat gob.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 22:43 on May 4, 2016

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Paxman posted:

There seemed to be a load of competing "back to the drawing board" groups from Labour MPs at one stage, promising fresh ideas. They don't seem to have done much.

The honest truth is that it'll take them time. It's one year since they got battered badly, it'd be unrealistic to expect them to have new ideas already. The problem I have with the Labour right is that they seem to think it's better to waste everyone's time by showing how badly divided the PLP is rather than actually working on bringing something substantial to the table rather than having John Mann look like as big a pillock as Ken Livingston while yelling about antisemitism & history lessons & worrying about finding a stalking horse to test the waters on a leadership contest. It's stupid & it's harmful. Right now they are basically Pissflaps: "Corbyn bad, someone else should be leader but don't ask me who" & frankly if you're going to waste everyone's time with a leadership contest less than a year after the last one finished you need to do better than that.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

It seems a reasonable question ask why people fall into his trap every loving time.

Anyway, I got done voting in the Scottish election. In the Regional List I went for the Scottish Greens, in the Constituency vote I voted for Labour & David Stewart. If the SNP in Inverness had put up a half-way decent candidate he'd have got my vote because I have no love of Stewart, but Fergus Ewing is one of the absolute worst people at Holyrood. He's also guaranteed to retain the seat so it doesn't matter.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

nopantsjack posted:

BOTH VOTES (scottish) LABOUR!

Never thought I'd be indirectly voting for Kezia but thanks for making it easy by trying to outflank the SNP from the left xoxo

Do you think they really did that? Seemed like a squabble for the safe centre to me.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

StoicFnord posted:

Well that's poo poo. I thought HS2 was an attempt to get more money moving up north. Until it got shanked and up north became Birmingham.

I dunno about the English Greens. Their Scottish cousins are pretty good. If there's policies that really bother you, like the usual nuclear thing from Green Parties the best thing to do is join them & try to change them from the inside. Because our need to get off fossil fuels grows ever more urgent & the only technology able to fill the gap is fission, so really the choice is "no nuclear & keeping coal & gas or nuclear & weaning off coal & gas". Or something.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

V. Illych L. posted:

yes, i know, but that's not what i asked

Also not what you asked but this is something that can be looked at as maybe vaguely hopeful
https://twitter.com/liamyoung/status/728360371619303424

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

tekz posted:

Looking forward to this thread trying to rationalize why the general public isn't enamored of far-left politics.

It's because of false conciousness, thanks for asking.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Pissflaps posted:

Sorry everybody I didn't notice the date on that tweet.

Right you are 'Flaps

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

J_RBG posted:

Currently it's not going too badly, but this is going to go on for ages, so who knows what'll happen, but Labour have increased their national vote share by 3% compared to Tories' 3% loss. So far. Hope is a bad thing though and it will go tits up and Full Fascism will be implemented by Sunday

Don't worry, we've already had one former Scottish MP who was standing as a MSP blame ScotLab's poor result on their promise to increase income tax by 1p & also on Corbyn. It was pretty dumb & infuriating & absolutely predictable. Labour right are like a broken record & totally unwilling to actually reflect on why they've done increasingly bad, instead just going for a knee-jerk reaction.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Raeg posted:

Tory gains in votes are not what I would be expecting to see in a Scottish election result.

It's bad, but Eastwood was Tory for years. Places like Newton Mearns are some of the wealthiest in Scotland. And rubbish.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Badger of Basra posted:

Are the Greens the only other party that would consider supporting an SNP government?

Ruth Davidson would support them on an awful lot of issues. Not indyref 2 though

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Greens are predicted to finish with more MSPs than the Lib Dems. Which along with the snp not having a majority is about the only positive from this.

I really am mad at the whole #BothVotesSNP fuckup

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Firos posted:

What fuckup exactly is this?

https://twitter.com/unsavourycabal/status/728471880324153344

But basically because they did so well in the constituency (as expected in most places) it meant that votes for the SNP was a total waste. They got over 100,000 votes & no MSPs from it. If those votes had gone to other pro-indy parties we could have another Green MSP instead of another Tory. It exploited a poor understanding of AMS as an electoral system & ultimately means we could have up to 31 Tory MSPs. Cracking stuff.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

pointsofdata posted:

well yes if you ignore the places labour did badly then they did pretty well! I thought corbyn was meant to win back left wing Scotland from the nationalists

Nobody who pays even the slightest attention to Scottish politics thought that Labour were going to do even half-decent so soon after the 2015 wipe-out, Corbyn or no.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Semprini posted:

It's a sad day when a party saying "Vote for us" is considered a fuckup.

The fuckup was not killing all the Tories. (Hi Police, this is a joke)

It's stupid to pretend that AMS can be done along the same lines as FPTP. It can't. This is a good thing because FPTP is a terrible system.

The campaign of the SNP has ultimately lead to more Tory MSPs being elected. Perhaps it isn't a fuckup but was by intention, but either way, from my perspective it was a lovely campaign.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

pointsofdata posted:

labour is not even recovering though, vote share is down 6% according to the BBC!

I'm not going to argue that it's a bad night for Labour, it's just that it'd take a lot more than UKLab electing a good leader 8 months ago to turn around a ship which has been floundering since 2007, was battered post referendum & now has apparently lost the support of a lot of staunch unionists for whatever reason. I think you're massively under-stating the rot in ScotLab.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Chucat posted:

Did that guy who did the video about all the animals voting do one for AMS because this is the most confusing thing.

Why would voting for SNP who are doing really well be a bad thing? Use really small words.

So you get 2 votes, a constituency vote where you vote for a MSP & a regional list vote where you vote for a party. Take Glasgow. The SNP won every constituency in Glasgow, & also got the most votes on the list. But with the impenetrable formula used, the SNP got 0 MSPs on the regional list. So 110,000 SNP voters wasted their vote basically.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

LemonDrizzle posted:

Gained a few seats in England, gained heavily in Scotland to become the official opposition, no change in Wales. A pretty good night for them overall.

There is no official opposition in Holyrood. They are the largest opposition party.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Gonzo McFee posted:

It's not the disaster that was projected and still pretty good considering all the Labour infighting. Hopefully the Blairites will get in line after this and we can focus on the Tories given they're ripe for a kicking over Europe.

They won't

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Raeg posted:

What's Euan up to these days anyway?

Being a landlord

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

peanut- posted:

Pretty much everything he's had to deal with has been his own fault.

Except the collapse of Scottish Labour. And the rise of UKIP, eating into Labour's vote in England. And the small cabal of Labour MP's more interested in internecine squabbles than trying to get back in power.

Except those things, yeah, I broadly agree. Corbyn hasn't been perfect. He's made rookie mistakes, taken bad advice, hired bad advisers, been a bit too weak at times, & has dilly-dallied on decisions for a bit too long on a few occasions (Not just the suspensions of Shah & Livingstone, the cabinet reshuffle sticks out as something that dragged out longer than it needed to).

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Regarde Aduck posted:

Haha Scotland is poo poo.

How many UKIP AMs are there now? Every where is poo poo, lets be fair.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Taear posted:

The cabinet reshuffle was pretty much a non-story that the newspapers went with for ages. One person getting fired isn't a "reshuffle" and he shouldn't have to suddenly move because they say he should.
The fact that the press ran with it for ages means by it's definition it's not a non-story. It's a story that shouldn't matter, but image does matter I'm afraid.

But I had this argument at the time of the reshuffle & people got mad that I had the audacity to acknowledge that Corbyn is far from flawless so lets not do that over again

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Pissflaps posted:

In what way was the bar set 'as high as it could be set' by Milliband?

I thought Corbyn was supposed to engage with the great unvoting masses with his new politics. What happened to that?

Jesus Christ could come back to earth to lead the Labour Party & turnout at local elections would still be really low because most people don't care about them unfortunately.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

It's almost as if there is a whole lot of making up a narrative to fit the result people wanted rather than what happened. The pro-Corbynites are focusing on the raw numbers, which compare favourably to Tony Blair's first local elections & the Corbyn hate mob (& the pedant contrarians with no sincere beliefs) are are focusing on the percentage lost to paint it as a disaster. Perhaps it is in fact not really great for either perspective. Perhaps it is just treading water. Which isn't a terrible result compared to how the media has treated Corbyn since day one & also isn't a marvellous result for Jezza because normally new leaders win council seats rather than lose them.

I know, I know, nuance in UKMT isn't welcome, I apologise. But I'm sticking to my line that Corbyn is important primarily to force left-wing ideas into the public discourse for the first time since the fall of the USSR. This decision is made easier by the fact that literally none of the other people who stood against him for leadership have a better chance of winning the 2020 general election, for a host of reasons.

That said, people who try to claim that Jeremy Corbyn is an effective political operator are pretty good at denying reality.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

Looks like The Express is backing a controversial pro-immigration campaign.

:staredog:

The Express basically published a press release from the Russian government in order to go "nobody likes David Cameron or Jeremy Corbyn, haha". That's...impressive I guess is the only word I can think of.

I'll be honest, with my rather feeble opportunities in the UK I'd seriously consider applying, except that I imagine I'd be absolutely loving horrendous at running a farm or being a lumberjack. Also, I can't even drive which seems like it'd be a bit of a problem as far as living on a homestead in the Russian Far East. And then you look at the climate in somewhere like the capital of Amur Oblast, -25 in winter seems a bit colder than I can cope with. Never mind trying to farm as far north as Magadan, which just screams of madness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

There's a few hundred places and it might be possible to get the plots of land adjacent. Who's up for the Worst Goon Project?

It's such a bad idea, it'd be perfect!

• Locked thread