Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer
i have had some bad experiences with teachers and i was a terrible student but gene splicer has been cool to me and posts in my threads and stuff so he is okay by me. happy teacher day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

Nation posted:

my teachers were terrible

have you tried ECT

I hear it's a wonderful teacher

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Perhaps the Ludovico technique chum?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Mr.Tophat posted:

have you tried ECT

I prefer the school of hard knocks *cracks knuckles*

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Teaching is the worst possible faux white collar job to have to do.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Mange Mite posted:

I prefer the school of hard knocks *cracks knuckles*

No no, the joke goes knock knock

Thunder Moose
Mar 7, 2015

S.J.C.

criscodisco posted:

I want to know where teachers all buy their weird, depressing clothes.

Kohl's, mostly.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

dang it dropped a plate

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps
I had 3-4 teachers that I thought were really good and excited me about learning and whatever. I had 3 that were just terrible for quite a few reasons (one of them made a girl cry in the middle of class because her grading scheme made 0 sense at all).

The rest were fine for the most part.

We should pay teachers more and make it harder to become one. That way we can attract successful motivated people to the field instead of pretending like the only good teacher is one that genuinely wants to teach (and will get paid a pittance to do it).

It's a sad commentary on our society that 'if you can't do, teach!' is a common joke. Well if our teachers are so bad then how do we expect anything else to function right?

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
maybe because school is a daycare (and public school is child abuse). You learn actual things outside of school

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I guess that's why all the kids who's parents don't make them go to school are so successful after graduation? :confused:

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

Mr.Tophat posted:

have you tried ECT

early childhood trauma??? yes i have

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Professor Shark posted:

I guess that's why all the kids who's parents don't make them go to school are so successful after graduation? :confused:

yeah man the kids who dropped out to work at burger king and smoke cigarettes in the walmart parking lot were all incredible geniuses and have life all figured out

I hate yankees
Apr 29, 2008
95% of the people who teach in the public education system are worthless trash and they chose that career path because they wanted an easy job they could be absolute poo poo at and never be fired from

all the people i know who got masters degrees or higher teach at private schools and make close to 6 figures, don't deal with worthless or nonexistent parents, and can actually discipline and teach kids poo poo

public education in the us is a loving joke and should not be applauded at all

genesplicer is cool tho

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
teachers are good, I have a very good friend who teaches middle school english and he always has tons of stories about how retarded 12 year olds are and the stupid stuff they say in class which is funny

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
I think we could fix schools by making public schools not have to take in kids whose parents don't pay property tax.

Like Geroge Washington and Emperor Trump envisioned

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

hahaha i forgot i used to sell weed and coke to my english teacher

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

Booblord Zagats posted:

I think we could fix schools by making public schools not have to take in kids whose parents don't pay property tax.

Like Geroge Washington and Emperor Trump envisioned

I too want to turn big parts of the south into Somalia

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

the same english teacher once threw a massive tantrum in the middle of the street because she got so drunk she convinced herself that i was going to take her home for sex and was really upset when i took an attractive girl instead

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

i should write a book

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Nation posted:

i should write a book
"my life as that one van halen song"

Fix Your Tie
Aug 25, 2005

Worlds #1 Dad
im a special education teacher for severely autistic teenagers

i got bit by one and the blind one slaps me whenever i have to take her to the bathroom

i make 12 dollars an hour but i get to swim with them in the pool on mondays!

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Fix Your Tie posted:

i got bit by one and the blind one slaps me whenever i have to take her to the bathroom
how does she know where to slap

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

symbolic posted:

You never saw daredevil?

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Mange Mite posted:

You never saw daredevil?
no, i never cared for superheroes

Fix Your Tie
Aug 25, 2005

Worlds #1 Dad

symbolic posted:

she misses a lot but you have to stand pretty close to someone when you're wiping their rear end

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Fix Your Tie posted:

she misses a lot but you have to stand pretty close to someone when you're wiping their rear end
i suppose that's a fair point

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

SurfaceDetail posted:

Teachers pay isn't poo poo at all for the amount of work and education level I don't know why this myth from the 60s still is perpetuated. I mean I understand why the Teacher's Union says it but not why anyone else buys it.

FTFY

Maybe because many places you start at poverty level wages and can have 10+ years experience and just barely break $40k. That is unless you live in a state like either Wisconsin or Minnesota where starting teachers make something like $75-80k.

Kirk Vikernes fucked around with this message at 23:42 on May 3, 2016

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

SurfaceDetail posted:

Teachers pay isn't poo poo at all for the amount of work and education level I don't know why this myth from the 60s still is perpetuated. I mean I understand why the Teacher's Union says it but not why anyone else buys it.

Yeah bro 30k out of college for five ten hour days and maybe an eight on the weekend these bums are skating

With a PhD and 30 years in they might even break 90k

Nurse Fanny
Aug 14, 2007

i appreciate the person who has rectal fissures and spends his days babysitting my stupid idiot rear end

Acres of Quakers
May 6, 2006

Sheep-Goats posted:

Yeah bro 30k out of college for five ten hour days and maybe an eight on the weekend these bums are skating

With a PhD and 30 years in they might even break 90k

I have two master's degrees, 10 years experience, and was a finalist for state teacher of the year two years ago. I make 57k over 10 months.

I love the job though, except for the two month unpaid furlough each year.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Dirty Sanchez posted:

I have two master's degrees, 10 years experience, and was a finalist for state teacher of the year two years ago. I make 57k over 10 months.

I love the job though, except for the two month unpaid furlough each year.

Jesus that's depressing

Acres of Quakers
May 6, 2006

Mange Mite posted:

Jesus that's depressing

Bennys are good tho.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Surface detail trolling with exaggerated right wing talking points whoah better effort post in reply

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Dirty Sanchez posted:

Bennys are good tho.

The pension is the only thing that makes teaching for more than a few years possible but considering the amount of education and hours that teachers put in they would all be 30-40% better off as pipefitters with an index fund.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Profondo Rosso posted:

Surface detail trolling with exaggerated right wing talking points whoah better effort post in reply

Is that a two sentence post I see?? Better do the old callout!

proctorbot
Jan 27, 2005
BUT CAN IT FEEL??!?!

Dirk Squarejaw posted:

FTFY

Maybe because many places you start at poverty level wages and can have 10+ years experience and just barely break $40k. That is unless you live in a state like either Wisconsin or Minnesota where starting teachers make something like $75-80k.

I am a teacher in Minnesota. Starting salary in my district this year is just below 40k. Where did you hear this ridiculous 75-80k number? That is what you make if you have a Master's +30 additional credits and have 20 years seniority.

Secks Cauldron
Aug 26, 2006

I thought they closed that place down!
Happy Teacher Day, genesplicer. :cheers:

A lot of my friends are teachers and you all have to deal with way too much poo poo.

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
I always hear each generation is dumber/ruder. For all the teachers out there, has there been a significant change in student behavior /attention/intelligence ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Death By Yogurt
Apr 3, 2007

I'm a high school English teacher and most of my day is spent pretending I don't get whatever Internet meme the kids are spouting at me.

• Locked thread