Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
i got a 5 on the standardized grit exam because a lifetime of taking inane tests has made me very proficient in choosing answers someone else obviously wants to hear.

do i get an office job with benefits that will pay me for the rest of life and only ask me to work like 20-30 years?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Buca di Bepis posted:

I guarantee you not a single person has actually been telling people to get liberal arts degrees for the last 10 years but millenials still whine about $200k college debts with no job prospects

my buddy has $80k debt from a semester and a half getting is masters in engineering from UT

i was like, how was it that expensive? he has to pay $960/month for the next 10 years! how is he expected to be a contributor to the economy? his payments are so high he won't be able to save, have a family, or get a mortgage until all that poo poo's paid off. basically he's a lazy shlub

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Buca di Bepis posted:

no way is he actually telling you the truth, grad school tuition at UT Austin is $5k/semester and if you don't get a grant as an engineer you're loving up

he was out of state? plus the loan cover living expenses? i'm not defending him, i'm just marveling a the level of debt

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Buca di Bepis posted:

$9k/semester max if he's out of state. $66k in living expenses for 9 months is pretty lol

maybe he fell for a few dozen IRS phone scams

i assume he thought he'd be there for 2 years so that's $36k and my grad school grad girlfriend says you basically double that to cover living expenses so maybe it was only $72k plus interest?

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Buca di Bepis posted:

what does it matter if he thought he'd be paying for 2 years of tuition if he only paid for 1

i literally don't know. i don't have debt and he just told us this at a party this weekend. i have no reason to assume he's lying. like, sure lol and stuff; that's insane levels of debt, but in the words of our future president "what difference does it make?" these are the circumstances people in my generation are dealing with and these are people with graduate degrees in STEM which is supposed to be the silver bullet to millennial woes

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Buca di Bepis posted:

i can easily imagine a 20-something inflating their debt to compete in a hosed up 2016 dick waving contest

yeah except it wasn't at all. we were talking about rent and how he and his girlfriend are saving a ton of money by living in a house with 2 other roommates to which he said he wouldn't be able to live in denver if it wasn't for his particular living circumstances. then he came forth with a description of his debt, completely unsolicited.

so i wouldn't call it a "dick waving competition" so much as a candid description of his finical situation

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

satanic splash-back posted:

I'm so loving glad someone finally took those bastards who got shot for their country's sake down a notch. Thanks.

lol if you think everyone in the military is a "hero"

even the ones who got shot

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

satanic splash-back posted:

You're right, your sacrifice of 5 dollars for a sanders avatar was a much bigger sacrifice.

is this one of those "you're a goon, you aren't good like our soldiers?"

cuz i was a soldier

but fortunately not anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

mdm posted:

what is "it"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZG_k5CSYKhg