Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Fulchrum posted:

Well done, you've managed to spend two paragraphs without even reading the drat question.

I said pivoting between the primary and the general, not the primary and the presidency. All of those stances you laid out, each of those men ran on those same positions when they were representing the party.

Actually most of the examples I cited occurred before the modern primary system was implemented. I don't know why you'd make such a sweeping and confident statement about a subject you don't seem particularly knowledgeable on. But either way, to answer your original question, Romney switched positions on immigration following the primary. Party insiders are very candid about the fact that candidates shift positions between the primary and the general election. Some of that is just a matter of emphasis but in some cases it also means changing specific policy positions. I guess you could debate whether this "worked" for Romney since he still lost but I'm sure if you were asked your question to the Academy of Political Science rather than The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Debate & Discussion: You Are Racist > Molten Salt Reactor > then you'd get plenty of other examples, especially on dumb local issues that aren't memorable enough for somebody to recall 10 years later.

Helsing has issued a correction as of 06:19 on May 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Vox Nihili posted:

Every candidate in every election.

Except :mitt:

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!

Fulchrum posted:

I said pivoting between the primary and the general, not the primary and the presidency.

Trump pivoted his stance on minimum wage and taxes literally just yesterday

lol you're an unbelievable moron

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3764180

funny way to spell
Nov 4, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QBl-BuEIV8&t=89s

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Homestar Runner posted:

Trump pivoted his stance on minimum wage and taxes literally just yesterday

lol you're an unbelievable moron

How are you all so very very bad at this?

People who pivot between the primary and the general always lose, because the only people who can ever have their minds changed are the most brain dead idiots possible. So basically butt hurt Bernie Babies and Cruz's losers.

This is why I kept asking for instances where the pivot worked, or where it didn't screw them over and deny them the presidency.

Now, for the third time, can you provide any counterarguments to pivoting being a proven loser no experienced capable politician would try?

Fulchrum has issued a correction as of 10:10 on May 11, 2016

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!
Just off the top of my head I recall during the 2008 primary Obama repeatedly pledged to campaign on public financing and then immediately opted out after securing the nom and labeled it a broken-rear end system that the Repubs would exploit to smear him and lo and behold he proceeded to destroy the living daylights out of McCain anyway :iiam:

Looking forward to your goalpost-shifting response :allears:

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Oh yeah, that was totally a major core plank of Obamas campaign that he betrayed to appeal to a different group. Thereby being anywhere close to what I asked for.

Lemme guess, you're going to say he "pivotted" on the number of states, next.

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy
Far as I can tell, an authoritarian candidate doesn't pivot, it's just what he really meant all along, but something something PC establishment

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe

Fulchrum posted:

When you have to ask this it may be time to realize everyone else isn't the problem.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Fulchrum posted:

People who pivot between the primary and the general always lose, because the only people who can ever have their minds changed are the most brain dead idiots possible. So basically butt hurt Bernie Babies and Cruz's losers.

This is why I kept asking for instances where the pivot worked, or where it didn't screw them over and deny them the presidency.

Now, for the third time, can you provide any counterarguments to pivoting being a proven loser no experienced capable politician would try?

:lol:

This has got to be the most prototypically goony reply ever.

The modern primary system hasn't been around long enough to give us a meaningful sample size and it's impossible to isolate and test for whether a flip flop caused a politician to lose. Your defining the question in a way that makes literally no sense and then getting really huffy and upset that other people aren't answering in the highly specific and narrow way that you want.

Usually politicians "pivot" by changing the issues they emphasize rather than literally changing the wording of their position (though this happens as well and you've been given examples of it). The fact you have an autistic understanding of politics is really your problem, not anyone else's.

Fiddler on the Reef
Apr 29, 2011

Ivanka 2024

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Flubby posted:

When you have to ask this it may be time to realize everyone else isn't the problem.

--Hillary 2016

EmperorFritoBandito
Aug 7, 2010

by exmarx
All the goons who think Hill's not going to be the prez have posted about 10k times in the past month and really need to get out more.

Dr Dracula
Oct 30, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Grimey Drawer

Fulchrum posted:

Oh yeah, that was totally a major core plank of Obamas campaign that he betrayed to appeal to a different group. Thereby being anywhere close to what I asked for.

Talk about a candidate pivoting only exists because political junkies need to justify the unreasonable amount of attention they give to the electoral process, hence why most of the responses you've gotten are just goons white knighting for their precious, precious conventional wisdom.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

EmperorFritoBandito posted:

All the goons who think Hill's not going to be the prez have posted about 10k times in the past month and really need to get out more.

It's brave of you to stay here and read all of their posts and let them know. :unsmith:

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Homestar Runner posted:

Just off the top of my head I recall during the 2008 primary Obama repeatedly pledged to campaign on public financing and then immediately opted out after securing the nom and labeled it a broken-rear end system that the Repubs would exploit to smear him and lo and behold he proceeded to destroy the living daylights out of McCain anyway :iiam:

Looking forward to your goalpost-shifting response :allears:

Fulchrum posted:

and off they go

EmperorFritoBandito
Aug 7, 2010

by exmarx

Quiet Feet posted:

It's brave of you to stay here and read all of their posts and let them know. :unsmith:

Weak.

Go outside.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

hillary's trump's inside job

:tinfoil:

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.

Condiv posted:

hillary's trump's inside job

:tinfoil:

This is all the end domino result of a 50 year old KGB plot to cripple the US with cultural Marxism and celebrity culture

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

EmperorFritoBandito posted:

Weak.

Go outside.

What your dad said to your mom when he first saw you?

Quiet Feet has issued a correction as of 00:50 on May 16, 2016

EmperorFritoBandito
Aug 7, 2010

by exmarx

Quiet Feet posted:

What your dad said to your mom when he first saw you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAryFIuRxmQ

Revenants Return
Mar 28, 2016

by Shine
Hillary is finished. Can't wait for the next polls!

A Stupid Baby
Dec 31, 2002

lip up fatty

Mike the TV posted:

Hillary will fall harder than Jeb!.

They are essentially equivalent when it comes to direct confrontation so yes

If Hildawg wants to win she needs to just refuse to debate him at all

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Trump is an inside job. In the future there will be a majority ruling party that will host the various courts of lobbyists and campaign donors, and a rump opposition party of loud-mouth Archie Bunkers who ensure the political narrative always benefits the bottom line of multinationals. Eventually the federal government will start a fire sale on its assets (since raising taxes is a non starter), and the USA will be more or less defunct. Dow, Google, Exxon, Raytheon, Microsoft- these are the nations of the world today.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

McDowell posted:

Trump is an inside job. In the future there will be a majority ruling party that will host the various courts of lobbyists and campaign donors, and a rump opposition party of loud-mouth Archie Bunkers who ensure the political narrative always benefits the bottom line of multinationals. Eventually the federal government will start a fire sale on its assets (since raising taxes is a non starter), and the USA will be more or less defunct. Dow, Google, Exxon, Raytheon, Microsoft- these are the nations of the world today.

This actually sounds better then what we have good idea.

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.

McDowell posted:

No clue about the rest of that, but yes, Trump is a Hillary plant, and Hillary Clinton will be prezzy.

Now, it's not necessarily true that Trump KNOWS he's a Hillary plant. It's entirely possible that they Revan'd him like the Old Republic did in KOTOR, wiped his personality and replaced it with a new one.

It's also possible that Bill Clinton snuck into his bedroom one night and Inceptioned him with the idea to run for president, and to do so really racistly.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

McDowell posted:

Do I get to pick my corporate state or do they bid on bulk lots of citizens?

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

smg77 posted:

It will depend on what industry is predominant where you live.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

smg77 posted:

Whichever option is most profitable for them, peasant.

• Locked thread