Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
I could totally see Clinton accidentally losing to her own false flag candidate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Basically every major president ever has made major pivots on foreign policy. Woodrow Wilson ran on the promise to keep America out of the First World War. Franklin Delano Roosevelt campaigned on the promise to keep America out of the Second World War. Johnson ran against Goldwater in 1964 by presenting him as a dangerous war mongering extremist but as soon as Johnson had won he began to escalate America's military involvement in Vietnam. Nixon pivoted on China, Reagan reversed his early stance about the USSR and ended up negotiating several arms treaties, George W. Bush specifically condemned "nation building" efforts during the 2000 campaign but then attempted his own nation building experiments in the Middle East.

Of course there are domestic policy examples as well. Obama campaigned against Hilary Clinton's healthcare plan but ended up implementing a plan that was very similar, including specific provisions he'd opposed such as the mandate to buy insurance. He also he would renegotiate NAFTA and not only did he not do that but his administration has been pushing for the TPP, which is basically NAFTA on steroids, etc.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Fulchrum posted:

Well done, you've managed to spend two paragraphs without even reading the drat question.

I said pivoting between the primary and the general, not the primary and the presidency. All of those stances you laid out, each of those men ran on those same positions when they were representing the party.

Actually most of the examples I cited occurred before the modern primary system was implemented. I don't know why you'd make such a sweeping and confident statement about a subject you don't seem particularly knowledgeable on. But either way, to answer your original question, Romney switched positions on immigration following the primary. Party insiders are very candid about the fact that candidates shift positions between the primary and the general election. Some of that is just a matter of emphasis but in some cases it also means changing specific policy positions. I guess you could debate whether this "worked" for Romney since he still lost but I'm sure if you were asked your question to the Academy of Political Science rather than The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Debate & Discussion: You Are Racist > Molten Salt Reactor > then you'd get plenty of other examples, especially on dumb local issues that aren't memorable enough for somebody to recall 10 years later.

Helsing has issued a correction as of 06:19 on May 11, 2016

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Fulchrum posted:

How are you all so very very bad at this?

People who pivot between the primary and the general always lose, because the only people who can ever have their minds changed are the most brain dead idiots possible. So basically butt hurt Bernie Babies and Cruz's losers.

This is why I kept asking for instances where the pivot worked, or where it didn't screw them over and deny them the presidency.

Now, for the third time, can you provide any counterarguments to pivoting being a proven loser no experienced capable politician would try?

:lol:

This has got to be the most prototypically goony reply ever.

The modern primary system hasn't been around long enough to give us a meaningful sample size and it's impossible to isolate and test for whether a flip flop caused a politician to lose. Your defining the question in a way that makes literally no sense and then getting really huffy and upset that other people aren't answering in the highly specific and narrow way that you want.

Usually politicians "pivot" by changing the issues they emphasize rather than literally changing the wording of their position (though this happens as well and you've been given examples of it). The fact you have an autistic understanding of politics is really your problem, not anyone else's.

• Locked thread