Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

jonathan posted:

I didn't say smart, or fiscally responsible, I said tough as nails.

The kind of people that have such sad lives that all they know is work and beer

If you want tough working class guys, look no further than fisherman, dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Germstore posted:

The news also said it jumped a 1 km wide river which is- quite a thing.

Apparently people's yards were being lit while the main body was still a few km's away. Embers were being sent ahead of the fire and landing on dry grass, so fire-fighters would be trying to establish a line, then turning around and seeing a new fire that was in the process of encircling them or cutting off a road. Alberta has been having drought-like summer conditions for over a month, and everything is a stray cigarette butt from being a new wildfire.

There were some people who were saying, "Just get a few dozen bulldozers and made a swath of dirt a few lanes wide and this fire will be licked. When you have a fire that can catapult itself multiple kilometres ahead of itself, you can see how laughable ideas like that are. The video Keg posted of the guy running past a plate sized fire in his back yard and "making a hasty exit" is a good example of how impossible something like this is to fight.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
Can't we just dynamite it like an oil well on fire?

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

Toadvine posted:

Can't we just dynamite it like an oil well on fire?

a ~10 megaton atomic bomb would certainly put out the fire. the downside is the radiation and the MUCH larger fire it would cause further out.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Dude had days to prepare and that's how you gtfo?

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Jesus Canadians drive slow. Like, come on. Haul rear end out of there.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Hogge Wild posted:

im really sorry that i sent them my mixtape :(

Should've just closed the thread at this

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Blacktoll posted:

that would be rude

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Blacktoll posted:

I bet when you're walking away and you hear an explosion behind you, you turn around and look at it.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Professor Shark posted:

If you want tough working class guys, look no further than fisherman, dude

Yeah a lot of them are pretty tough too.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Blacktoll posted:

One old person and a convoy of 80,000 is going 40 in a 60 zone.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
Someone explain the mixtape joke

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Blistex posted:

There were some people who were saying, "Just get a few dozen bulldozers and made a swath of dirt a few lanes wide and this fire will be licked. When you have a fire that can catapult itself multiple kilometres ahead of itself, you can see how laughable ideas like that are. The video Keg posted of the guy running past a plate sized fire in his back yard and "making a hasty exit" is a good example of how impossible something like this is to fight.

It's also dry as gently caress here right now with strong winds so embers are going to carry across that mile-wide bulldozed path that goons seem triumphant over thinking about.

Justin Godscock fucked around with this message at 00:36 on May 9, 2016

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Yeah, Canada generally goes from wet-winter to tinder-dry conditions in the forests overnight these days. Campfire bans generally start in march now and go straight through to october.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Rain forecasted for Grande Prairie

gently caress you got mine

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Hot Karl Marx posted:

lol stupid loving roughnecks think work = toughness

uhh, yeah rednecky jobs like construction and working in oil fields is actually pretty tough work

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Kevyn posted:

fire = the mix tape is good

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/HunterAtHome/status/729058417386528768

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

More videos please

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

Civilization VI minimap looking good.

drowningidiot
Sep 27, 2014

Darth123123 posted:

I'm the smoke alarm.

I really expected that thing to go off a bit sooner.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

katlington posted:

More videos please

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eemin7DNvYg

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

*More good videos with fire please

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.

Kevyn posted:

If your mixtape is hot that means good. The hotter the better.

This was still a fresh joke a year ago

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lol

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So even if most of the city is structurally intact how bad is smoke damage going to gently caress over fort mac?

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

The police are arresting all the non-uniformed folks still in the city including people claiming to be breaking into houses to let cats go free. Its hard to tell their motives, apparently.

Puts a whole new meaning to CAT BURGLARS, amirite?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

crowoutofcontext posted:

The police are arresting all the non-uniformed folks still in the city including people claiming to be breaking into houses to let cats go free. Its hard to tell their motives, apparently.

Puts a whole new meaning to CAT BURGLARS, amirite?

They only caught the dumb ones. This time next year, Alberta's gonna have a whole new crop of black market pet dealing millionaires.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

good. loving canada

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

Russia is offering to "save us" with their super water bombers.

Canada's defense plan against existential threats has for the past century and a half (sadly) been to suck up to America so they have fiscal and moral obligation to save our burning rear end.

But is it really time to abandon Obama's avuncular lap and run to the paternal grasp of Putin?

https://news.vice.com/article/russia-has-made-a-questionably-sincere-offer-to-help-put-out-canadas-forest-fires

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
Russia has regularly been crossing over into Canada's ADIZ to see how NORAD reacts, and some rather blatant attempts have even made the news, particularly when Vladmir Putin is in power.

This offer is a wolf bear in sheep's cloathing.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.

That's an Elemental Invasion if I ever saw one. This is totally an ARG viral marketing campaign for World of Warcraft: Legion.

Rick Rickshaw fucked around with this message at 15:05 on May 9, 2016

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

Airborne Viking posted:

Russia has regularly been crossing over into Canada's ADIZ to see how NORAD reacts, and some rather blatant attempts have even made the news, particularly when Vladmir Putin is in power.

This offer is a wolf bear in sheep's cloathing.

The North Pole Wars is the most passive aggressive war.

Maybe if we find more frozen corpses of British Explorers from the Victorian Era we can claim their untimely graves as Historically important Canadian Territory and the Russians will go away because of... politeness.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Professor Shark posted:

On CBC this morning they were talking to a guy who was pulling out of his subdivision and saw his neighbor loading his stupid loving barbecue onto his truck lol

lol

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Fort McMurry survived, only 10% of the buildings got destroyed in the wildfire:
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-36253444

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

crowoutofcontext posted:

Russia is offering to "save us" with their super water bombers.

Canada's defense plan against existential threats has for the past century and a half (sadly) been to suck up to America so they have fiscal and moral obligation to save our burning rear end.

But is it really time to abandon Obama's avuncular lap and run to the paternal grasp of Putin?

https://news.vice.com/article/russia-has-made-a-questionably-sincere-offer-to-help-put-out-canadas-forest-fires

When you're dealing with a forest fire of this scale and speed, even a water bomber 10x larger than what they're currently using is just spitting into an inferno and hardly going to make a difference. Some of the water bombers already working there have said that the fires have either burned through, or hopped over their fire-retardant strips like they weren't even there.

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Is Canada made out of literal newspaper, deadwood and matchsticks? Does Alberta go straight from snow to inferno?

The gently caress is wrong with your country?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Cartouche posted:

Is Canada made out of literal newspaper, deadwood and matchsticks? Does Alberta go straight from snow to inferno?

The gently caress is wrong with your country?

Alberta had a drought due to El Nino, so the whole province was basically a big tinderbox.

http://www.calgarysun.com/2016/04/23/alberta-farmers-pray-for-rain-as-dry-conditions-stoke-drought-fears

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

etalian posted:

Fort McMurry survived, only 10% of the buildings got destroyed in the wildfire:
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-36253444

So 90% of the buildings survived? gently caress donating money to these whiners. :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Airborne Viking posted:

So 90% of the buildings survived? gently caress donating money to these whiners. :smug:

I'm sure they have massive amounts of smoke damage.

• Locked thread