Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.
I don't understand why they didn't just punch the fire all gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

:canada:

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Airborne Viking posted:

I'd like to give the benefit of the doubt and say that due to the state of emergency they're either used up or turned to ash. The fire has engulfed hospitals, fire halls (ironically), and other facilities/job sites. Not only has much of that PPE likely been destroyed, but they've also been at this for over two days. I'm not sure if any filter cartridges would last that long.

Pfft. The gently caress is a fire hall? You dumb Canucks surely must realize that trying to isolate a fire inside a building will probably just lead to it burning down the hall around it.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Truly Canada's 9/11

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

Sharzak posted:

Rise over run

I like you.

Fiend
Dec 2, 2001

Smash it Smash hit posted:

this is why you dont build cities next to fires

Good point

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer

Tiny cities made of ashes

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Someone stole fort macs shoes

Probably a meth addict

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Reverse Centaur posted:

Asians in Vancouver don't work, their dad/husband is a "successful business man" back in China and sends them suitcases full of cash.

What is this thread about again

Dashcam vids of a world engulfed in fire

ghost host
Apr 17, 2010

ain't got no cash
ain't go no style

I will work call centres or suck dicks before ever going to political editorial cartoons for cash.

Also I'm the single firewoman

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.

BANME.sh posted:

Tiny cities made of ashes

So long to this cold cold part of the world

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

diabeetz posted:

I will work call centres or suck dicks before ever going to political editorial cartoons for cash.

Also I'm the single firewoman

This is the same guy who did the popular cartoon of the memorial soldiers helping tge guard that was shot on Parliament Hill. In an interview he admitted hus wife gives him mostnof his ideas, especially the ones that peopke actually like, so his art is all he has going for him lol

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I guess Albertans will be demanding even more money from other provinces now.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I didn't say smart, or fiscally responsible, I said tough as nails.

The kind of people that have such sad lives that all they know is work and beer

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
This article says the fire created its own lightening. Wtf is that hyperbole?
Fort McMurray: Fire could double in size, Canadian official says
http://www.cnn.com/2016/05/07/americas/fort-mcmurray-fire-canada-duplicate-2/index.html

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Darth123123 posted:

Fort McMurray: Fire could double in size, Canadian official says
http://www.cnn.com/2016/05/07/americas/fort-mcmurray-fire-canada-duplicate-2/index.html

I for one welcome our new flame overlords

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Stop loving up people's weekend Canada.

Smoke in eastern Iowa, rain chances move in: May 7, 2016
http://www.kcrg.com/content/news/WWCF-Smoke-in-eastern-Iowa-rain-chances-move-in-May-7-2016-378506385.html

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

jonathan posted:

I didn't say smart, or fiscally responsible, I said tough as nails.

The kind of people that have such sad lives that all they know is work and beer

lol stupid loving roughnecks think work = toughness

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
well, technically being beaten into submission by society with no hope of ever improving your life would make you tough. like scar tissue, inflexible and ugly.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

Darth123123 posted:

Let me introduce you to PYROCUMULUS CLOUDS

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyrocumulus_cloud

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

so what you are saying is that god hates this town

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

Serious Frolicking posted:

so what you are saying is that god hates this town

its where companies send people to punish them

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
The news also said it jumped a 1 km wide river which is- quite a thing.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

loving badass tyvm

. The detonation of a nuclear weapon in the atmosphere will also produce a pyrocumulus, i

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Hot Karl Marx posted:

its where companies send people to punish them

corporations are god? as an american, that sounds about right.

Revenants Return
Mar 28, 2016

by Shine

holy poo poo

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Airborne Viking posted:

It's amazing that any telecom is still working there. Congrats on the kitten barbeque livefeed.

https://www.facebook.com/lindsay.reid/videos/10154895454488357/?permPage=1

Even more amazing is that the headend is in Beacon Hill, the neighbourhood where 80% of the homes burned down. You can see it at about a minute in; the building is still completely intact compared to all the wreckage before and after.

Revenants Return
Mar 28, 2016

by Shine

holy gently caress

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Shocked the air is breathable.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

Germstore posted:

The news also said it jumped a 1 km wide river which is- quite a thing.

I take it back, this fire deserves a name so I can name my boat after it. Right now Pyrocumulus is a strong contender though.

Harrower posted:

I'd attribute the lack of fatalities to the fact that the authorities didn't really waffle on declaring a state of emergency and just went with evacuating the whole drat town when things started to look real bad, rather than waiting till things were actually real bad.
I really hope that most of them understand this.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

tenspott posted:

In the USA, Vancouver would be considered a 3rd tier city on par with Orlando or Sacramento.

without question, but that is more because it's just a lovely city in general, regardless of population.

Harrower posted:

Not everyone in Ft. Mac is going to have any sort of safety training. For every rig pig with a dozen safety tickets there are a dozen people working in camp kitchens, at home depot, doing data entry in an office, or whatever with maybe first aid and some gas detection if they work in a warehouse that has some nitrogen tanks. That said its probably fair to say that Ft. Mac has a much higher incidence of people with a dozen safety tickets, and a career of working in dangerous and stressful situations that a city like Los Angeles probably doesn't. At least on a per capita basis. I'm sure Manhattan alone has 90000 people with a first aid certificate just because there is 10 million people and 10% with some sort of ticket doesn't seem unreasonable. I'd attribute the lack of fatalities to the fact that the authorities didn't really waffle on declaring a state of emergency and just went with evacuating the whole drat town when things started to look real bad, rather than waiting till things were actually real bad.

if my hometown of minot ND is any indication, the tar sands attract the absolute dregs of society who have difficulty finding work back home. minot was a lovely small town to begin with, but now it is even worse

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

vancouver is really pretty ok

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTlGFsP4JeQ

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

I'm the smoke alarm.

The Hman
Jan 6, 2015
can't wait for another one of trudeau's trademark limp wristed speeches.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Didn't even occur to me that there would be speech over it. Aside from nobody having any homes, things appear to be moving pretty smoothly (I haven't heard otherwise but I haven't been really looking). Though I suppose it's hard to loot and riot in a fire.

On that note, I wanna hit up the jewelry store and pawn shops with a shovel. There's gotta be treasure in there.

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx
lol you think Trudeau's going to miss out on an Instagram opportunity

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Darth123123 posted:

I'm the smoke alarm.

I'm the fish in the saltwater aquarium.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

The Hman posted:

can't wait for another one of trudeau's trademark limp wristed speeches.

'we have nothing to fear but fear itself!

oh, right... fire too, i guess'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

• Locked thread