Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Lord Binky posted:

I'm really happy and love life, having a good time, etc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgzGwKwLmgM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michael Bayleaf
Jun 4, 2006

Tortured By Flan

aw hell yeah

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Man Whore posted:

not even the same league loser. Pink floyd is garbage music for garbage losers.

I'm sorry u have no friends, I'm not judging you for this, since I believe that you have valid opinions,

no u are a goddamn idiot shitfucker actually

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

fat old sun is a good song ha ha

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Man Whore posted:

Everyone I know who has been an actual fan of pink floyd has been a stoner rear end in a top hat or a sadbrained loser.
option 3: teenage girl who "just discovered" classic rock and is trying to impress her friends by blaring The Doors and Floyd all day

symbolic fucked around with this message at 03:57 on May 6, 2016

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

symbolic posted:

option 3: teenage girl who "just discovered" classic rock and is trying to impress her friends by blaring to The Doors and Floyd all day

those teenage girls have good taste

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
The Wall is, in fact, really good with a pretty solid narrative than one would think in first listen. The first half is better but the second isn't bad either.

Wish You Were Here is actually their best album though. Animals is really good but WYWH is better hands down. DSOTM is good too.

Everything else is worse but to varying degrees. Meddle is good but Echoes really carries the rest of the songs. Atom Heart Mother isn't terrible but also reeks of a band that just doesn't really have any direction or really knows what it's doing (seriously, the title track is really a hunk of garbage; the three radio friendly tracks are pretty good, and Alan's psychadelic breakfast, while fun, is like a joke), obscured by clouds is trash and everything else besides Piper is trash. Piper is pretty good as a pure psychadelic pop album and is actually one of their best but definitely the black sheep of the discography given the circumstances.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
The final cut is apparently very hit and miss. By that point the band is getting into that 80s rock sound that Floyd could just never do that well and it's too much of a Water solo project for me to really consider part of their discography. It's not trash but doesn't measure up the rest of their classic albums. The Gilmour led stuff is all hot garbage, although learning to fly is catchy.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

animals is the best album

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

facebook jihad posted:

Wish You Were Here is actually their best album though. Animals is really good but WYWH is better hands down. DSOTM is good too.

This is true. Wish You Were Here is the album where they really hit the perfect balance musically and lyrically, with DSOTM being a relatively close second.

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

facebook jihad posted:

obscured by clouds is trash
Aww, but it has this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFAsAVj7bKc

I guess Meddle is my favorite. Other albums might be better but they're overplayed.

Macnult
Jul 7, 2013

The Wall is good but I have to admit that I like it less and less every time I listen through it. Sorry.

DSOTM is great but everyone knows that already.

Animals is great but a lot of people overhype it because of how burned out they are on other Pink Floyd albums.

Wish You Were Here is great but it's overplayed IMO.

Meddle is really good. I think it's my favorite Pink Floyd album, but I wouldn't argue it being their best.

A Saucerful of Secrets is meh. The track Remember A Day is good but if you want psychedelic poo poo you should just listen to The Piper At the Gates of Dawn.

Atom Heart Mother is forgettable.

Don't really care about the rest of their stuff.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTQbiNvZqaY

Bad Titty Puker
Nov 3, 2007
Soiled Meat
"classic rock" is archaic dogshit and pink floyd were good at the time but listening to them is like finding candy that people enjoyed 40 loving years ago

if you're a 15 year old stoner idiot or you drive a prius then bon appetit

they got more and more indulgent of roger waters' hysteria starting with the vastly overrated album "the wall"

if you think that the beatles and the floyds were the pinnacle of music there's no hope for you and you'll probably still be listening to that poo poo 60 years from now in the old folk's home

these opinions were relayed to me by my opinionated cousin albert, who secretly gets drunk and listens to "wish you were here" on his headphones in his stolen custom van

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RP64j589WPk

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Old Grendel posted:

My acid flashbacks all involve the old canon as soundtrack: Piper at the Gates of Dawn, Meddle, A Saucerful of Secrets, Atom Heart Mother, Ummagumma, Obscured by Clouds. I love DSotM and the rest of the bombastic, dick-waving operas post-1970, but the Syd Barrett discs should get more attention.

Barrett was a loving tool and the earliest albums are only "liked" by hipsters.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
used to be dad rock. now its grandpa rock :smith:

vug
Jan 23, 2015

by Cowcaster
"the floyd"

vug
Jan 23, 2015

by Cowcaster
i actually like atom heart mother

but generally i tend to think of pink floyd as being more of a band you like for their album covers

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Cartouche posted:

Barrett was a loving tool and the earliest albums are only "liked" by hipsters.

I was going to say something like this actually. Floyd is very much an anti-hipster band. The stuff you hear day in and day out on FM radio is more or less their best stuff. They don't have that many hidden gems in their discography that are much better than that, with the exception of Animals (which imo is overrated by people bc it's not played on the radio) and Echoes (just not radio friendly, though I've heard it once or twice in an abridged version).

As for Piper. It really is just a different band at that point and it's hard to compare their sound with any of their other work. Personally it's really good if you really like psych pop (I do) but other than that it really shows it's age.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
Man, it's the same bullshit they tried to pull in my day. If it ain't that piece of paper, there's some other choice they're gonna try and make for you.

You gotta do what Randall Pink Floyd wants to do man. Let me tell you this, the older you do get the more rules they're gonna try to get you to follow. You just gotta keep livin' man, L-I-V-I-N.

Mariana Horchata fucked around with this message at 14:20 on May 6, 2016

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

one of the best experiences of my life was being high on shrooms and watching dark side of the moon concert dvd like 3 times

I completely got them, I knew that they felt the same way I did, it owned

vug
Jan 23, 2015

by Cowcaster
Im pretty gay for them in the live at pompeii dvd.. BUT i think ummagumma has a better performance of sauceerful of secrets than on the dvd

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

The Pompeii concert is so badass haha

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I would totally blow david Gilmour in that video for free

Uziduke
Jul 2, 2015

A storm over Europe unleashed
Dawn of war a trail of destruction
The power of Rome won't prevail
See the Catholics shiver and shake
A Momentary Lapse of Reason > All

Gilmour > Waters.

thehoj
Jan 29, 2003

Bip Roberts posted:

Meddle is good though. Even San Tropez.

I thought I was the only one that liked Meddle, including San Tropez.
Best album IMO.

Though this is one of my favorite songs: https://youtu.be/6SJWRDqOHB8

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams
I haven't listened to them in ages but I went through my days of tripping on LSD/Shrooms and enjoying Pink Floyd, they really are the greatest band for tripping.

My favorite album is Relics because it's a nice mix of old and new Floyd.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Uziduke posted:

A Momentary Lapse of Reason > All

Gilmour > Waters.

This is just...what

They did their best work as a team though. Richard Wright was a better musician than most give him credit for

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
It's good for when you're high as balls but is that really an endorsement? Something to think about.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

notZaar posted:

It's good for when you're high as balls but is that really an endorsement? Something to think about.

yes, it is.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

its garbage music for stoner burnouts
peace

Kill u r self u piece of poo poo

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

jackyl posted:

just realized I forgot how good one of my turns is

it is a very good song

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

XMNN posted:

Kill u r self u piece of poo poo

i'll kick your rear end

Tommah
Mar 29, 2003

one of these days im going to cut you into little pieces

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

jackyl posted:

let's just all agree that the wall goddamn owns

nobody cares, grandpa

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Robo Reagan posted:

nobody cares, grandpa

actually both your grandpa and your dad

sorry for ur genes

PureEvil6_13
Jun 1, 2004

I LIKE PETA AND THINK THAT SCIENCE IS EVIL
My daughter (8) was wanting a CD to take to school yesterday as it was 'Bring a CD to School' day or some poo poo for her class. Since no one in this house has bought a CD in years we didn't really have anything for her to take. . .but then I told her she could take my "Obscured by Clouds" CD to school and maybe culture some of those assholes.

The teacher told her that the songs weren't appropriate for kids her age and wouldn't play it. I wonder how much Miley Cyrus got played though?

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

PureEvil6_13 posted:

My daughter (8) was wanting a CD to take to school yesterday as it was 'Bring a CD to School' day or some poo poo for her class. Since no one in this house has bought a CD in years we didn't really have anything for her to take. . .but then I told her she could take my "Obscured by Clouds" CD to school and maybe culture some of those assholes.

The teacher told her that the songs weren't appropriate for kids her age and wouldn't play it. I wonder how much Miley Cyrus got played though?

should have bought here a cannibal corpse album to take

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

That teacher was right. No-one but annoying 17 year old stoners should be subjected to PF.

• Locked thread