Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ninja Bob
Nov 20, 2002

Bleak Gremlin
Sorry to bump the thread, but I started watching the Happy Valley documentary on Netflix, and about 10 minutes in this is really hard to watch. The footage of Sandusky with the Second Mile kids, Jesus Christ. Those kids are so loving young.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Ninja Bob posted:

Sorry to bump the thread, but I started watching the Happy Valley documentary on Netflix, and about 10 minutes in this is really hard to watch. The footage of Sandusky with the Second Mile kids, Jesus Christ. Those kids are so loving young.

When the giant rear end in a top hat Penn State guy they interview in his dorm said "I don't care what happened, this is Penn State football" I flew into a frothing rage

That guy is the living avatar of why people hate Penn State fans

e: I also lost a lot of respect for Joe Posnanski who is a writer I otherwise enjoy a lot, but it's clear he still thinks Paterno didn't do anything wrong

fast cars loose anus fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Oct 5, 2016

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
I shouldn't have watched Happy Valley again I'm in a furious rage

e: OH MY loving GOD THIS GODDAMN DOUCHE

This loving Penn State student that they interview in his dorm room goes

"This 2012 season was really hard for me. I just was so disgusted with everything. To see those guys come out of the tunnel with those names on the back of their jerseys that just made me like, cringe. That's like messing with like some religious thing. That'd be like if the Catholic Church decided to take the cross and make it into a triangle or something like you can't do that. You can't put names on the back of Penn State's uniforms that takes away everything we stand for. That was just one thing in a long list of things that really angered me about the whole Penn State football experience after Joe Paterno. Happy Valley was always a place I came to to be happy, but it became such a sad place for me. I was just like I gotta get out of here."

YOU loving SHITHEAD MOTHERFUCKER YOU ARE THE REASON I HATE PENN STATE

yeah the real loving problem here is that they have names on their jerseys you shithead child rape apologizing motherfucker

fast cars loose anus fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Oct 7, 2016

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
Saddy Valley

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
I figured happy valley was just the pet name Sandusky had for a young boys butt crack

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

fast cars loose anus posted:

I shouldn't have watched Happy Valley again I'm in a furious rage

e: OH MY loving GOD THIS GODDAMN DOUCHE

This loving Penn State student that they interview in his dorm room goes

"This 2012 season was really hard for me. I just was so disgusted with everything. To see those guys come out of the tunnel with those names on the back of their jerseys that just made me like, cringe. That's like messing with like some religious thing. That'd be like if the Catholic Church decided to take the cross and make it into a triangle or something like you can't do that. You can't put names on the back of Penn State's uniforms that takes away everything we stand for. That was just one thing in a long list of things that really angered me about the whole Penn State football experience after Joe Paterno. Happy Valley was always a place I came to to be happy, but it became such a sad place for me. I was just like I gotta get out of here."

YOU loving SHITHEAD MOTHERFUCKER YOU ARE THE REASON I HATE PENN STATE

yeah the real loving problem here is that they have names on their jerseys you shithead child rape apologizing motherfucker

You couldn't be more wrong. That person wasn't being an apologist in that statement at all. They were being an outright denier. fiimotspmbf

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

ESPN posted:

BELLEFONTE, Pa. -- Former Penn State President Graham Spanier testified Thursday that he issued a statement the day two of his top lieutenants were charged in the Jerry Sandusky child sexual abuse scandal, calling the allegations against them groundless, because he had developed deep trust in them.

Spanier took the witness stand in former assistant coach Mike McQueary's lawsuit against the university. McQueary's lawsuit alleges the former president's statement made it appear McQueary was a liar.

Spanier said he came to trust vice president Gary Schultz and athletic director Tim Curley after working closely with them for years.

"This was an unbelievable injustice, that these two guys, who are like Boy Scouts, would be charged with a crime," Spanier said. "And that's what was in my head as I was giving this opinion."

Spanier began drafting the statement about a week earlier. He said that's when the university's then-general counsel got a tip through the attorney general's office that Sandusky, Curley and Schultz would be charged.

At issue was how Curley and Schultz responded after McQueary described to them in 2001 that he saw Sandusky sexually abuse a boy in a team shower.

Spanier told jurors he directed the lawyer to share a draft with Curley's lawyer as a courtesy before it was published.

"Two of the people holding among the most important leadership positions in the university were going to be charged," Spanier said. "And with my belief that after working daily with these individuals for about 16 years, and knowing their honesty, their integrity, believing that they never withheld information from me, and recollecting rather clearly that meeting from 2001 ... and what they described to me at the time, that it merited my unconditional support."

Spanier was forced out by the board of trustees a few days later, and the next year he also was charged over his handling of the Sandusky matter. A state appeals court this year threw out several of the charges against all three administrators, but they remain accused of failure to properly report suspected abuse and endangering the welfare of children. They await trial in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania.

Spanier, who remains a Penn State faculty member, testified he had no knowledge of a 1998 police investigation into Sandusky showering with another boy on campus and had limited recollection of responding with Curley and Schultz to the 2001 incident McQueary said he witnessed.

When the first set of charges was announced in November 2011, Spanier said he took the draft statement that day to about 30 of the university's senior executives. He said he told them that if they were falsely accused of a crime, he would issue the same type of statement on their behalf.

"Everybody in the room worked with them for years and had exactly the same sentiment I had," Spanier testified.

He said he wasn't thinking about McQueary when drafting the statement and didn't realize McQueary was a key figure in the investigation and an unnamed assistant described in the grand jury presentment used to help charge Sandusky.

"I was not casting aspersions on anybody else, because when that statement was drafted, I hadn't read the grand jury presentment," Spanier testified. "My entire knowledge base was from a short conversation a decade earlier, and my focus was on these two individuals who I knew and worked with."

McQueary's defamation, whistleblower and misrepresentation lawsuit is seeking more than $4 million in lost wages. The trial is expected to continue into next week.

Sandusky was convicted of dozens of counts of child sexual abuse in 2012 and is serving a lengthy prison sentence but maintains he's innocent.

ZOOM, ENHANCE

quote:

Spanier, who remains a Penn State faculty member

I am loving shocked.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
Also nice that they got tipped off by the AD's office a week in advance

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

DJExile posted:

I am loving shocked.

Some sort of hypertenure? I thought they'd put him on an ice floe to die.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Sash! posted:

Some sort of hypertenure? I thought they'd put him on an ice floe to die.

Similar thing with Ken Starr at Baylor, they nixed him as president but he was still tenured faculty at the law school, i believe.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

He's been on "administrative leave" since his presidency got canned; I doubt he'll ever teach or get grad students again. You can still run into him at Wegman's though!

http://onwardstate.com/2016/10/27/mike-mcqueary-awarded-7-3-million-in-damages-by-penn-state/

McQueary got 7.3 million in damages with a further whistleblower verdict coming soon.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

the dept of education has fined Penn State $2.4 million under the Cleary Act, the largest fine ever under the act.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Wow

That's pretty low

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
So all in all seems like Paterno made a pretty solid cost/benefit analysis.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

The Cleary act hasn't really been used very often. They fined Virginia Tech $55k for the shootings for failing to adequately warn students at the time of the attack, but it was overturned on appeal.

Plus these are civil penalties, not criminal. It's basically there to make schools report campus crime statistics, but it seems fairly toothless.

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
so all we're gonna get out of this is sandusky in jail huh

Dance McPants
Mar 11, 2006

The Clery act was also used to fine Eastern Michigan $350,000 after they covered up a murder until the guy was arrested, which happened on the day students could no longer transfer with a full refund.

Dance McPants fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Nov 4, 2016

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

DJExile posted:

Similar thing with Ken Starr at Baylor, they nixed him as president but he was still tenured faculty at the law school, i believe.

Yeah, its likely some contractual thing where unless he ends up guilty of the crime they can't revoke his tenure. This why people are usually placed on a type of leave while everything gets sorted out.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Scionix posted:

so all we're gonna get out of this is sandusky in jail huh

I Invested Emotionally in a Child Rape Scandal and All I Got Was This Stupid T-Shirt

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

General Dog posted:

I Invested Emotionally in a Child Rape Scandal and All I Got Was This Stupid T-Shirt

At least at Baylor they were adults, right?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

At least at Baylor they were adults, right?

Technically, but most 18 or 19 year olds aren't really emotionally mature as older adults.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

General Dog posted:

Not you though, you're cool and above it all and not at all a grown toddler

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

v2vian man posted:

Not you though, you're cool and above it all and not at all a grown toddler

I like how he somehow made a post were he basically said he doesn't give a poo poo about child rape a brag tho.

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD

CharlestheHammer posted:

I like how he somehow made a post were he basically said he doesn't give a poo poo about child rape a brag tho.

jokes on me at least he got laid out of the deal at baylor

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

pillsburysoldier posted:

Wow

That's pretty low

I believe the previous largest fine was the 335K Eastern Michigan thing

Clery Act ain't much

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Penn State has paid $93M to 33 Sandusky victims, new audit says

Penn State University has paid settlements totaling $93 million to 33 people who claimed that they were sexually assaulted by Jerry Sandusky, according to a 2016 fiscal year audit released by the school.

That's one more victim than the university listed a year ago.

Penn State officials said they also have paid close to $20 million in legal fees and for internal investigations related to the Sandusky scandal in the last two years.

According to the audit, Penn State's insurance companies have paid $29.9 million in scandal-related costs.

The new audit doesn't include the $2.4 million fine recently assessed against Penn State by the U.S. Department of Education for violations of the Clery Act.

http://valleycentral.com/news/nation-world/penn-state-has-paid-93m-to-33-sandusky-victims-new-audit-says

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

https://twitter.com/cmonarrez/status/799266477450924036

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Came here to post that. I like Levy even more now

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

This is the first time I've actually liked Levy instead of viewing him as overhyped hipster-bait.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:
https://twitter.com/LeviDamien/status/799350296531075072?lang=en

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Will the crimes of JoePa never stop?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Just what we needed, a new Chris Kluwe

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Levy is actually good though. Also that's a good opinion to have. Also destroying Joe Paterno is better than anything Chris Kluwe has ever done in his life. Also he has a good beard and not a trash stache. Also he puts his thoughts into good coherent sentences without resorting to sounding like a angry Warcraft 3 player. Also Joe Paterno is a piece of trash who enabled the systematic rape of children and a very large part of the Penn State alum and fan base see nothing wrong with that.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
Excited to visit my parents for Thanksgiving and to see if the PATERNO 409 LITE BEER is still available for sale at Wegman's

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

Grittybeard posted:

Will the crimes of JoePa never stop?

Haha, never. Also, I'm a dum

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

General Dog posted:

Just what we needed, a new Chris Kluwe

Just what we needed, another General Dog post.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

My new favorite player.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

I was at this game. The student section changed "Shoot him like a horse!"

It was a great day.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

tadashi posted:

My new favorite player.

Not the first time DeAndre has been awesome.

http://www.mensjournal.com/sports/articles/deandre-levy-the-most-interesting-man-in-the-nfl-w448992

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2016/10/04/deandre-levy-social-awareness/91586212/

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2016/10/15/deandre-levy-detroit-food-academy/92145888/

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2016/11/05/deandre-levy-wisconsin/93372042/

DeAndre Levy is what Chris Kluwe could be, if he were an actual activist, as opposed to a jackass on the internet.

quote:

Thorson, who two years ago revealed to Levy that he was gay, recalls how his friend supported him, even asking how he could help combat some of the homophobic views in the Lions' locker room.

AsInHowe fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Nov 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

At least we can all agree that Chris Kluwe sucks.

• Locked thread