Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baba Ganoush
Oct 12, 2014
Dinosaur Gum
Computers have very few necessities so hopefully they pay for our lavish NEET lifestyles with their excess income

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.

RobattoJesus posted:

Can't we just cut out the middle men and get our brains transplanted into robot bodies.

sorry kiddo, us humans are the middle men

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

initializing differential diagnosis.exe

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

ninotoreS posted:

that's beside the point. humans are still employed in heaps (pharmacy is actually a growth employment industry, in fact), in part for exactly the reason i just stated.

it's not about the work behind the scenes, it's about the ignorant patient's perspective and illusions

its a death by a thousand cuts. people might like to have a human face to hand their pills to them, but you can be drat sure the company signing that pharmacists cheques is looking at ways to replace him. its not going to be a matter of one day replacing the pharmacy with a fancy vending machine, first it will just be reductions of staff and hiring of less skilled (cheaper) workers to fill what human roles exist.

a friend of mine teaches at a community college, and they are going through this very process. they have invented this concept of "hybrid courses", where a normal 3-class per week course is replaced by a 2-class a week course with "supplemental" online content. they haven't fired any teachers, but what they have done is allow the same number of teacher to take on more classes at once (meaning they don't have to hire anyone to increase their student rolls). the classes are shittier, but not quite lovely enough that people stop coming. Once they are used to this i have no doubt the "hybrid" classes will reduce in-class time further.

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer

Ehud posted:

Artificial intelligence isn't actually possible

he said, completely ignoring the fact that several jobs had already been automated out of existence.

Also lol at people who think that the rampant unemployment is caused by politicians from the other "team"

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
No. People care just enough about there Autistic children to not lock them in the basement any more but not enough to actually spend any real time or money on them. So I'll be looking after them and doing, actually made of paper, paperwork for the foreseeable future. At least until automation becomes something you can pick up at Walmart for $19.95

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
I work in a creative capacity so I'll be legit impressed when my job gets automated.

unless its like a 1984 situation where we go full tilt dystopian and eliminate aesthetic

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

ninotoreS posted:

go into heathcare

gonna be a long time before people trust machines for healthcare, EMS, etc

The people don't have to trust them. The healthcare providers just have to decide that it is more cost effective.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Toadvine posted:

I work in a creative capacity so I'll be legit impressed when my job gets automated.

unless its like a 1984 situation where we go full tilt dystopian and eliminate aesthetic

1984 had art, it was computer generated for the proles. i have some bad news for you!

http://www.abundant-music.com/
http://thinkzone.wlonk.com/PoemGen/PoemGen.htm

RobattoJesus
Aug 13, 2002

Toadvine posted:

Well when all the jobs have been automated the only people with money to spend on the arts will be robots so they won't want to buy your aesthetic human garbage.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

maybe everyone can only own one robot and you can rent out your robot to other people so that way you still get paid and the robot does all the work?

i think I solved this

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Ask anyone who actually works on it and they'll tell you automatic driving is still a loong way away, let alone surgery. Airlines are cheap pieces of poo poo but they stikl can't replace pilots yet even for cargo flights

Anyone with a big opinion otherwise is almost certainly not in a technical field

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Brutalism is a pretty cool aesthetic imo, I hope the robots go with that one

RobattoJesus
Aug 13, 2002

TheReverend posted:

maybe everyone can only own one robot and you can rent out your robot to other people do that way you still get paid and the robot does all the work?

i think I solved this

Assuming all robots are equal how do you decide whose robot gets to be CEO of a multinational corporation and whose gets to suck-off homeless people for change under an underpass?

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009

Rutibex posted:

1984 had art, it was computer generated for the proles. i have some bad news for you!

http://www.abundant-music.com/
http://thinkzone.wlonk.com/PoemGen/PoemGen.htm

poetry & chiptunes oh boy!

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I'd honestly be pretty excited to see where AIs and stuff end up. Machines doing surgeries and things like that on their own terrifies me But less serious stuff would be pretty cool to see. I can't really think of any actual important tasks if stuff like precision surgery is out, but yeah.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

RobattoJesus posted:

Assuming all robots are equal how do you decide whose robot gets to be CEO of a multinational corporation and whose gets to suck-off homeless people for change under an underpass?

It will be based on serial Number

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
All I do is waste space and play video games. I'd like to see an AI do that!

RobattoJesus
Aug 13, 2002

Mange Mite posted:

Ask anyone who actually works on it and they'll tell you automatic driving is still a loong way away, let alone surgery.

I'd think robot surgery was easier than automatic driving because the robot surgeon doesn't have to try to swerve to avoid 6 drunken human surgeons operating on the same patient at the same time.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

RobattoJesus posted:

I'd think robot surgery was easier than automatic driving because the robot surgeon doesn't have to try to swerve to avoid 6 drunken human surgeons operating on the same patient at the same time.

when you replace all the cars with AIs though you dont have 6 drunken human surgeons.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Hrist posted:

I'd honestly be pretty excited to see where AIs and stuff end up. Machines doing surgeries and things like that on their own terrifies me But less serious stuff would be pretty cool to see. I can't really think of any actual important tasks if stuff like precision surgery is out, but yeah.

Machines are the worst at complex visual tasks and constantly shifting environments with limited information so yeah anyone thinking you will have automated surgery anytime soon has no idea what they're talking about

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009

I think this poem generator is becoming self aware

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Mange Mite posted:

Ask anyone who actually works on it and they'll tell you automatic driving is still a loong way away

i have! an automated car researcher is literally my housemate. according to him the autos are already better than humans as far as safety records, the only barrier to implementation is legal

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is
I don't think so, Tim

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Doctor J Off posted:

I don't think so, Tim

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009

Mange Mite posted:

Machines are the worst at complex visual tasks and constantly shifting environments with limited information so yeah anyone thinking you will have automated surgery anytime soon has no idea what they're talking about

I have several family members working in transplant management and I've discussed this with them on several occasions. Routine procedures (like organ/tissue removal) require a human to identify the parts that stay and the parts that go, otherwise the bus basically drives itself.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Lawrence Gilchrist posted:

initializing differential diagnosis.exe

would

RobattoJesus
Aug 13, 2002

Mange Mite posted:

anyone thinking you will have automated surgery anytime soon has no idea what they're talking about

Unmanned robot surgery works in pig trial

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Mange Mite posted:

Ask anyone who actually works on it and they'll tell you automatic driving is still a loong way away, let alone surgery. Airlines are cheap pieces of poo poo but they stikl can't replace pilots yet even for cargo flights

Anyone with a big opinion otherwise is almost certainly not in a technical field

Either that , or paying attention to the actual news and aware that there are already prototypes on the roads right this minute. Hell, you can buy a car, today, that will change lanes for you. The rest isn't as far away as you'd like it to be.

RobattoJesus
Aug 13, 2002

"All humans make errors. We have emotions and we get tired, whereas robots are objective."

This will come in handy when they exterminate us.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

runupon cracker posted:

Either that , or paying attention to the actual news and aware that there are already prototypes on the roads right this minute. Hell, you can buy a car, today, that will change lanes for you. The rest isn't as far away as you'd like it to be.

I own one of those cars, the system really doesn't work that well. For instance it likes to mistake off ramps for the road and swerves back and forth when it figures thid out.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Rutibex posted:

i have! an automated car researcher is literally my housemate. according to him the autos are already better than humans as far as safety records, the only barrier to implementation is legal

Lol no googles cars have a super high accident rate. They claim this is ok because their internal process decides that they're never at fault but this isn't what youd call a good thing considering they are still afraid to take the car somewhere with hills or weather, and they only run the car in areas where theyve done massive intensive 3d mapping

The regulatory side is even worse because neural networks are an utter nightmsre to certify and can be extremely unpredictable once you start getting out of the situations youve trsined them on

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.
This robot shows competence on par with someone who has just been startled awake.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dD_NdnYrDzY
Meet your replacement, gbs! :smugbert:

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Toadvine posted:

I have several family members working in transplant management and I've discussed this with them on several occasions. Routine procedures (like organ/tissue removal) require a human to identify the parts that stay and the parts that go, otherwise the bus basically drives itself.

Lol no

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

That's a sewing machine, not a surgeon. And even then it required direct input and supervision for 40% of the time (i.e. the times where it was doing something)

You can't equate simple tasks done with supervision to being able to plan and make decisions. This is what i mean by people not knowing what they're talking about

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Toadvine posted:

I think this poem generator is becoming self aware

its actually quite good:

quote:

The forum posts like a dead forum.
Forums post!
Threads post like moist threads.
Threads post like old threads.
God, gently caress!

quote:

Why does the OP post?
Where is the dead thread?
Why does the forum post?
Post roughly like a old forum.

quote:

Noisy, smelly forums roughly sell a smelly, faceless thread.
Never sell a forum.

quote:

Dry, dark OPs roughly desire a moist, big OP.
Post loudly like a noisy OP.

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Mange Mite posted:

only run the car in areas where theyve done massive intensive 3d mapping

sounds like the solution is to do that everywhere

which they will

RobattoJesus
Aug 13, 2002

Mange Mite posted:

That's a sewing machine, not a surgeon. And even then it required direct input and supervision for 40% of the time (i.e. the times where it was doing something)

The checkout machine at my local supermarket requires supervision 40% of the time, it didn't stop them sacking 10 cashiers and replacing them with 10 robots and a fat old lady with a swipe card who presses buttons when the machines gently caress up (which is all the goddamn time)

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

runupon cracker posted:

sounds like the solution is to do that everywhere

which they will

No you really can't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Why would you want an automated surgeon for a pig trial? Wouldn't you want an automated judge?

• Locked thread