Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.

Lawrence Gilchrist posted:

AI BUNDY is ONLINE

EH, NO DAVE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009

Un-l337-Pork posted:

Medical error is the #3 cause of death in the United States. When visiting my primary care provider, I'd much rather see a robot that possessed the knowledge of a doctor than whatever bullshit idiot I have to see now (Nurse Practitioner or, god forbid, a PA). When recovering from surgery in a hospital, I'd much rather have my medication delivered by a robot than by a nurse's aid who is pulling a double, forgot her glasses at home, and is more worried about Farmville than double-checking my prescription. Seriously, my entire family is in the medical field and the situation is completely hosed unless you are wealthy and can afford good care.

Surgeon... eh... yea it's gonna be awhile before robots replace surgeons just because there is significant variation from patient-to-patient and the robot will need to know how to deal with a myriad of circumstances. That being said, once a robot knows HOW to perform surgery, it will be more precise than any human could possibly be. I could see autonomous robots performing basic surgeries (laparoscopic appendectomy, etc) within a decade, though.

HMMM http://biomed.brown.edu/Courses/BI108/BI108_2008_Groups/group12/Roboticsurgery.html

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009

Germstore posted:

That dude in the green is actually doing the surgery though, so it isn't really an AI issue.

its quickly becoming one, especially for routine procedures. Like the OPs truckdriver example soon enough surgeons will be filling an advisory role, delineating where to cut, where to suture, where to sponge, while the robot actually does the deed

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009

RobattoJesus posted:

Can't we just cut out the middle men and get our brains transplanted into robot bodies.

sorry kiddo, us humans are the middle men

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
I work in a creative capacity so I'll be legit impressed when my job gets automated.

unless its like a 1984 situation where we go full tilt dystopian and eliminate aesthetic

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009

Rutibex posted:

1984 had art, it was computer generated for the proles. i have some bad news for you!

http://www.abundant-music.com/
http://thinkzone.wlonk.com/PoemGen/PoemGen.htm

poetry & chiptunes oh boy!

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009

I think this poem generator is becoming self aware

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009

Mange Mite posted:

Machines are the worst at complex visual tasks and constantly shifting environments with limited information so yeah anyone thinking you will have automated surgery anytime soon has no idea what they're talking about

I have several family members working in transplant management and I've discussed this with them on several occasions. Routine procedures (like organ/tissue removal) require a human to identify the parts that stay and the parts that go, otherwise the bus basically drives itself.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009

Mange Mite posted:

Apparently it's as hard as being a grocery store cashier

what do you do for a living

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009

citybeatnik posted:

It's not just the service industry, it's hitting the legal industry as well. My current project involves training an algorithm what to look for in automatically redacting legal documents. I am literally putting myself out of a loving job.

Yea you're obligated to sabotage the effort to replace you.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009

citybeatnik posted:

The end goal is to use the success of the project as a stepping stone up the ladder in to management, there-by securing my own future at the expense of everyone that follows.

Bad news: your boss has already
internalized this mindset, hence why you're programming your replacement and not his. Maybe you don't have what it takes to climb the legal ladder after all...

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009

Mange Mite posted:

Proving a thing that hasn't been done is possible

ha what? the nerve.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
none of this is going to mean a thing when a particularly large coronal mass ejection shuts off the power and it doesn't come back on.

:weed: but in reverse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009

Aralan posted:

can't wait till trials are all robolawyers arguing in front of robojudges and it's just five minutes of that noise dial up modems make then a verdict

Mom hang up the goddamn phone!!

• Locked thread