Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Un-l337-Pork
Sep 9, 2001

Oooh yeah...

ninotoreS posted:

go into heathcare

gonna be a long time before people trust machines for healthcare, EMS, etc

Medical error is the #3 cause of death in the United States. When visiting my primary care provider, I'd much rather see a robot that possessed the knowledge of a doctor than whatever bullshit idiot I have to see now (Nurse Practitioner or, god forbid, a PA). When recovering from surgery in a hospital, I'd much rather have my medication delivered by a robot than by a nurse's aid who is pulling a double, forgot her glasses at home, and is more worried about Farmville than double-checking my prescription. Seriously, my entire family is in the medical field and the situation is completely hosed unless you are wealthy and can afford good care.

Surgeon... eh... yea it's gonna be awhile before robots replace surgeons just because there is significant variation from patient-to-patient and the robot will need to know how to deal with a myriad of circumstances. That being said, once a robot knows HOW to perform surgery, it will be more precise than any human could possibly be. I could see autonomous robots performing basic surgeries (laparoscopic appendectomy, etc) within a decade, though.

Un-l337-Pork fucked around with this message at 16:00 on May 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread