Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RobattoJesus
Aug 13, 2002

Can't we just cut out the middle men and get our brains transplanted into robot bodies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RobattoJesus
Aug 13, 2002

Toadvine posted:

I work in a creative capacity so I'll be legit impressed when my job gets automated.

unless its like a 1984 situation where we go full tilt dystopian and eliminate aesthetic

Well when all the jobs have been automated the only people with money to spend on the arts will be robots so they won't want to buy your aesthetic human garbage.

RobattoJesus
Aug 13, 2002

TheReverend posted:

maybe everyone can only own one robot and you can rent out your robot to other people do that way you still get paid and the robot does all the work?

i think I solved this

Assuming all robots are equal how do you decide whose robot gets to be CEO of a multinational corporation and whose gets to suck-off homeless people for change under an underpass?

RobattoJesus
Aug 13, 2002

Mange Mite posted:

Ask anyone who actually works on it and they'll tell you automatic driving is still a loong way away, let alone surgery.

I'd think robot surgery was easier than automatic driving because the robot surgeon doesn't have to try to swerve to avoid 6 drunken human surgeons operating on the same patient at the same time.

RobattoJesus
Aug 13, 2002

Mange Mite posted:

anyone thinking you will have automated surgery anytime soon has no idea what they're talking about

Unmanned robot surgery works in pig trial

RobattoJesus
Aug 13, 2002

"All humans make errors. We have emotions and we get tired, whereas robots are objective."

This will come in handy when they exterminate us.

RobattoJesus
Aug 13, 2002

Mange Mite posted:

That's a sewing machine, not a surgeon. And even then it required direct input and supervision for 40% of the time (i.e. the times where it was doing something)

The checkout machine at my local supermarket requires supervision 40% of the time, it didn't stop them sacking 10 cashiers and replacing them with 10 robots and a fat old lady with a swipe card who presses buttons when the machines gently caress up (which is all the goddamn time)

RobattoJesus
Aug 13, 2002

Germstore posted:

Wouldn't you want an automated judge?

This is a far more interesting question than the surgeon and driver stuff (which is only a matter of time). But a robot judge would be almost impossible because how the gently caress do you codify morality and fairness into a set of logical rules that a robot can follow?

RobattoJesus
Aug 13, 2002

Mange Mite posted:

Apparently it's as hard as being a grocery store cashier

This kind of wilful idiocy is going to be hard for robots to replicate.

RobattoJesus
Aug 13, 2002

Hrist posted:

That's why it scares me so much. I figured even just with every human being different sizes, that stuff is dangerous enough. But I see articles online periodically about 'Robots can do this invasive surgery now and use tubes to tunnel and remove such and such more steadily than any human hand ever could' It just makes me think people are really interested in it and expect it to be some perfectionist, because "No human error." But even if we lived hundreds of years from now when it was the norm, it would still terrify me.

Don't worry, the newly announced nVidia 1080 graphics card is "the largest chip project endeavor in the history of humanity" so we've got our priorities straight. The world's R&D money is dedicated to allowing us to pwn noobs in 4k instead of doing lame poo poo like life-saving robot surgeons.

RobattoJesus
Aug 13, 2002

Minimalist Program posted:

Goon fundamentally misunderstands thing by only looking at it from a video game perspective.

To be fair I don't even own a PC and just saw some nerds at work jizzing over the 1080, and when the nVidia guy was all "lol we spent enough money to go to mars lol" I started running around the office shouting JESUS gently caress, what the hell are we even doing as a species.

RobattoJesus
Aug 13, 2002

Mange Mite posted:

Mars is as worthless as video games dude

You're really good at this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RobattoJesus
Aug 13, 2002

runupon cracker posted:

except it has been done, you just claim the larger scale is impossible

for reasons