Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
Is it alright to post a link to an incremental game of my own, for feedback, or is it against the thread/General SA rules?

#Shilling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
Welll, I might do an IAP thing when/if it hits Kong or Steam but that's a big if and wayyyy down the road. For now I just wanna see if some goons think its worth a drat.

(Was about to link the file but then power went out due to a storm. May be a while for the link.)

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
Alright, here goes:

https://ufile.io/wea1i

(This link should work for like 30 days?)

Just unzip the contents into some folder of your choice.

A couple things to mention to cover my rear end:

1) Super early build, so expect to see actual duct tape holding it together
2) I was told people like their idle games to have story, so I just pushed out some cringy piss-take to the idle genre. I actively encourage you to make fun of the writing!

That's about it. The game plays very similarly to Idling to Rule the Gods and Anti Idle mushed into some FrankenIdle game.

edit: If you got any questions about what the gently caress to do, I can answer as best I can.

something fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Aug 12, 2017

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug

Sindai posted:

The save and load buttons seem to do nothing.

Right, they're more meant for the (future) WebGL versions, where they open a file dialog to save/load. For standalone, it goes off your system clipboard. Quicksave and quickload will do you just fine for this.

Devor posted:

Some initial thoughts - you don't have to respond to these:

Energy as a concept replacing the shadow clones is a little unintuitive, the word energy generally implies something you spend and lose. I don't know what would be better, Focus maybe?

Can the energy bar stop once I'm capped at 200 (or more after rebirths I guess)? Maybe this gets used for a mechanic later.

It would be nice to have a 'default' home screen that I can X-out back to, after looking at Spend XP or whatever. I keep wanting to close windows after I open them up, and my cursor shoots up to close the entire program out of habit.

1)Nothing is really set in stone, so any idea for better names for stuff, I'm open to hearing.

2)Even after capped, the energy it would generate is counting to your new cap. So it's already a mechanic I guess.

3) So like a back button within the "Spend EXP" menu to head off to one of the features? Definitely doable.

4) Welp :v: I just lowered the amount of stats you got from training cause I had reports that it was too fast. Think I'll revert that change if it's no good.

something fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Aug 12, 2017

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug

Poultron posted:

So it's an Idling to Rule the Gods clone with a slightly more comprehensible UI?

I think one thing you could do is improve the new user experience, although admittedly almost every idle game I've played falls flat on its face in this regard. You're halfway there with a tutorial and locking most of the features, but you kind of just throw a lot of very-obvious information at the player and then leave out the actual not-obvious mechanics like how training attack and stuff works. Try using missions/quests or a forced walkthrough to explain this because honestly I played ItRtG for a while and I still have trouble understanding this kind of thing sometimes.

So, explain more about how to assign energy using the buttons and such? Would you say the actual boss fight mechanics needs any explicit instruction?

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
Well, as for the "nothing to do right away" issue: The first feature unlocks at the fourth boss. Perhaps I could bring it down to after the first boss or, just right away? That's the sort-of Battle Arena equivalent, and intending to be a huge pillar of the gameplay.

I think I've been spending too much time in the ITRTG chat, and getting a sort of insular set of opinions on how the game plays from people who are fans of this genre. Really needed a netural perspective on where my game falls flat vs :jerkbag:

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
I played Anti idle for a good year and change many years ago, so I do remember, it had a fantastic way to guide you through what would have been utter chaos without the tutorial.

I'm going to add a section in the tutorial to explain exactly what the +, -, and Cap buttons do, as well as have it switch automatically to the boss tab, and break down each button from there. The adventure feature (that first feature you currently unlock after boss 4) as I said, is basically a battle arena lite, where you can have a semi real-time fight with random enemies, with about 12 moves to use, and a loot system. Would that be the kind of content to give right away to have *something* to do?

This input is really useful. Can't stress that enough.

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug

Poultron posted:

I'll say that the thought of literally just watching bars go up for 4 bosses in a row, even if it was a lot faster, sounds really awful and boring. One boss is more than enough.

I actually really like Anti-Idle's design (for the most part) so I'll use it as an example again. Anti-Idle has so many different systems, but what's awesome is that they all feed into each other. Everything seems to fill the Progress Bar or give you some coins or some experience or whatever whatever. So it's a good idea to have the Bosses be kind of the "main goal" of the game and have all the features in pursuit of beating the next boss. Breath of the Wild is a little bit like this; even though there's all this cool stuff to do, it's mostly all in pursuit of making yourself stronger to beat Ganon, right? So your game can be similar to that. Make the initial boss MUCH, MUCH faster to beat, maybe 5 minutes tops. Make it a little mission. Here's how you increase attack; great, now here's how you increase defense; great work, looks like you're ready to defeat that mouse. Now that you've done that, why not try out this mini-RPG while you passively get stronger?

Sounds great! I also do give a one-time bonus of 20 EXP upon the very first boss kill, in the hopes that it sparks some enjoyment in spending stuff in the EXP shop. It's enough to buy a couple stat points for adventure, or some small gains to the energy bar fill speed.

I'll also explain the mechanic for EXP gain in total, for critique. 20 exp for first ever boss kill. Floor( boss #/10) exp one time only for the first 20 bosses. Then Floor (boss # - 20 /10) EXP, every rebirth. for bosses 20 and on.

So bosses 2-10 would be 1 EXP one time only, bosses 11-20 2 exp one time only. 21-30 1 exp repeatable, boss 31-40 2 exp repeatable, etc. It should make for a vaguely quadratic function of exp versus how high of a boss you take down.

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
Right. I think i'll just in general head back to my workshop and rethink basically everything. Thanks for the feedback.

Are you guys open to retrying after I unfuck the game balance?

something fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Aug 12, 2017

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
Great :)

It IS a shame it isnt working out from the start because i do have a fair bit of content i have/will have. But if people x out the game from boredom before getting to see it it's pretty much failed completely.

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
This is my first time trying anything this ambitious, no clue how long these kind of games take to get to an enjoyable experience. What you see is about 1.5 months of work.

Also, how is the actual UI, looks-wise? Not an artist at all so i went with a sort a minimalist approach.

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
Definitely can move the boss stats on to the menu itself. I've already changed the tutorial to explain the cap button but basically: the game internally runs at 50 ticks/s. Max speed is 1 bar fill per tick. Cap attempts to set the energy to hit that speed. Failing that it tries the equivalent of 1 bar fill per 2 ticks. Then 1/3 ticks etc. So 192 energy gets you some fraction like that. Adding 200 would have that 8 energy not actually helping you get more bar fills/s.

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug

Elswyyr posted:

In NGU, are there any other things you can unlock after adventure/inventory, or are those buttons placeholders? I'm at the 10th boss and I'd love to see more.

They're all actual (though probably buggy as all hell) things.

Anyways based on the Feedback here's what I'm thinking of doing:

1: Rework the tutorial and get into more detail on the mechanics like the cap button, what happens exactly when you click fight on the boss menu, etc. Likely will also add that same tutorial thingy the moment you kill a boss or similar, to explain spending exp, and unlocking Adventure.

2. Look into adding 4 bosses that maybe do nothing to your boss multiplier but at least give you things to immediately kill (could fit into the 1,2,3,4 exp idea).

3. Undo the nerf I had made to the first training. That was clearly a Bad Move.

4. Unlock Adventure after the mouse dies, and make a new first zone with very weak enemies and a weak boss you can handily kill with your starting stats. This will award that initial cloth armor. I can keep what is now zone 1 as the 2nd zone, and let it still unlock at boss 4, so there's another bit of content unlocked as you keep going.

5. Show boss Stats on the actual menu, not hidden in the tooltip.

Any thoughts on these ideas are appreciated.

something fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Aug 12, 2017

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug

Elswyyr posted:

Got to Augmentation in NGU, seems to be a pretty close analog to buildings in ITRTG. I can tell I'll need a lot more enhancers from Adventure to get enough gold for the good stuff though. I like this system, though I wish that my "main" progress could help me in Adventure. Adventure gives those player stat boosts and lots of gold, but I haven't seen anything going the other way yet. Is that a future unlock?

EDIT: I'd also suggest being able to make enhancers, probably from gold. Right now I'm getting nothing but special enhancers, and nothing I can use to advance in Adventure.

Well, exp can be spent to increase your Adventure stats, does that count? Also, when you get far enough you unlock a feature that becomes the base of all gold-making ( and is probably imbalanced as heck).

something fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Aug 12, 2017

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug

GrossMurpel posted:

Is it even possible to beat the slime boss without spending EXP on upgrades? Maybe once I unlock the third tier of skills?

From others who I've had play, it's very doable with the 3rd set of skills. and tough ( but possible) with the 2nd set. As part of my changes I'm going to add a starter weapon to add a few points of attack.. That should make it a bit easier to kill the slime.

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
No, I can absolutely explain it in a tooltip. More information never really hurts, unless it's thrown obnoxiously in your face.

Basically, much like ITRTG, there's time checkpoints that start from an hour down to 1 minute, where the rebirth time factor does a /2 divider. It's to prevent being able to (when you get far enough) spam rebirths, and climb up a huge number of bosses, rebirth, repeat, and make orders of magnitude more exp per unit time than just normally playing and advancing. It's why i made the exp curve quadratic wrt boss killed, so longer rebirths will yield more exp from getting to a higher boss.

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
Yes there is, at around boss 20. I explained the exp payouts in a earlier post.

And having played a LOT of ITRTG, the time curve is necessary to have, at least to some extent. It's a future consideration, when players have built up a good pool of exp stats, but then the game can become very easily broken with the exp you can get by spamming rebirth. I can play around with it, because the intent is for it to not even be a real factor in the early game, just a way to reign in later-game players. And clearly you are all noticing and being frustrated by it, which is not what i want. Perhaps no penalty from 15 minutes on, and then start the gradual dividing of the time factor from that point. I'll try for a better solution.

(For some point of reference, ITRTG used to only have a time in seconds/3600 divider for the time multi in that game. And within a couple months people were able to do rebirths under 2 minutes that would net them about 23 God kills ( roughly equal to 46 in NGU). Normal play would make only a 1/10 of what these speedruns would yield. People nowadays in that game have easily 10x the stats as people then had, so you can imagine how absurd it would be without a time divider).

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
Would seperating it and actually labelling it a "penalty" be a good decision, or would see that word penalty make you feel all kinds of sad?

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug

GrossMurpel posted:

Just lost like 2 hours of progress by accidentally clicking the quickload button :negative:

I don't think telling the player there's a penalty is a good idea. Just don't show the time factor at all IMO.

Riiight, I've been putting off autosaving for ever. Let's uh... add it in...:v:

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
https://ufile.io/znx5l

+Raised the base stats of first training
+Expanded tutorial
+Added a training zone to Adventure, and Adventure unlocks when you beat the small mouse
- The boss in that zone there guaranteed drops *some* piece of gear (the cloth armour set, or a stick weapon for 2 attack)
+ Added 3 bosses that give one time bonuses of 2, 3,and 4, exp. They appear before the mouse.
-Mouse now gives only 10 Exp on its first kill. When you beat the mouse
+Added 3 one-time offers of 0.2 energy speed for 1 exp, 0.3 energy speed for 2 exp, and 0.4 Energy speed for 3 EXP.
-Spend Exp button only shows when you kill the first boss
-Rebirth only appears after the small mouse is defeated
-Rebirthing will set you to the mouse boss.

I hope this improves the start of the game.

Edit: also an quick and dirty autosave every 5 minutes.

Edit: Fixed a few bugs. New link up top.

something fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Aug 12, 2017

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug

Elswyyr posted:

There's a bug with the one-time bonuses. All 3 buttons offer you the option to buy 0.2 energy speed, only the first button disappears when used, and the button disappearing persists through reloads.

Ah crud. so much for testing it. Sorry!

And I removed the discount stuff cause you guys mentioned it just encouraged hoarding and was also frustrating.

GrossMurpel posted:

Completely unrelated to any of that: Why do bosses always have far more attack than defense? That's something I also always wondered about ITRTG. Would it fundamentally change the balance of the game to have those stats be equal?

I just did that cause when the numbers are the exact same, it's basically goes instantly from doing no damage and dying to taking no damage and killing the moment you pass that threshold.

VVV And I'm going to guess that is because I had to add the 3 bosses on to the start, so the numbers are all shifted up 3 now and old saves are just gonna be a little wonky until rebirth.

something fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Aug 12, 2017

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug

GrossMurpel posted:

That's a good point about the attack, I've definitely had bosses in ITRTG where I juuust barely had enough HP and regen to outlast them and that does make it more exciting than just passing a static barrier.
I personally like the hoarding stuff, at some point a single EXP spent in energy speed will barely matter anyway so it's neat that building up more gives you an overall discount. DIdn't realize people dislike that.

Yeah I always enjoyed that too. I mean, there's still mathematically that same point where you'll win vs lose, but visually you're more unsure, so it *feels* more buttclenching.

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
Should be just a little weird behaviour from the boss changes. next rebirth should get it fully into the new state of things. It's cause the first 3 bosses count a *2 to boss multi. but when you rebirth post mouse, you'll start at the mouse and not get that anymore. Maybe I'll remove those *2's, or just leave it as is.

^^^ I know.

Edit: Man, you conga the bosses up 3 spaces and the game completely breaks. Will fix!

double edit: Also probably from the bosses moving up. the next feature is going automatically 3 bosses too soon, is my guess.

something fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Aug 12, 2017

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
https://ufile.io/2dgko

Adjusted the augments cause of the boss shuffle, ditto for future features.

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
I... have never seen that issue before. The game is the size it is so that it'll work for a WebGL release. A *ton* of people play on like 1024*600 or 1366*768 and such. and having it bigger makes it really awkward for those kind of users to play.

Edit: I know why it's doing it now. Fixing it will take some work, but if i get it working, I can lift the resolution restriction, I think. and let you just resize the game window.

something fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Aug 12, 2017

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug

GrossMurpel posted:

An attack/s and defense/s label in the relevant menu might be neat. I just realized that completely filling the first training tier gives way more gains than putting as much as you can in the second tier.

Each of the training's caps can be lowered to just 1 energy eventually, needless to say when that happens, each tier is a big jump in power/s then.

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
I might be introducing those boosts too soon, I guess. But anyways, Equipment drops can have up to three special effects on them, and special boosts boost these bonuses. You only see a couple items with special effects in the sewers or forest, but caves and on have plenty.

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
I'm about to upload a version that i *think* will have multiple resolution choices that all work. As for that bug, it's been fixed.

I'll put the link to the multiple resolution version here when I'm done.

Edit: nvm doesn't work

something fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Aug 13, 2017

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
Should be the one after that starts it off. Also, a few people have mentioned that, I'll look into what causes it at some point. Restarting should get it back to normal CPU usage for a temp solution.

https://ufile.io/rut4c

something fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Aug 13, 2017

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
You sure it's specifically that situation? I'll check my code for that logic. Thanks for the tip!

Edit: Wow, you were dead on. I had some old code to calculate the time left to complete an augment that i forgot to replace with a much more efficient version. only the augment, upgrades were fine.

something fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Aug 13, 2017

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
I did and now it won't compile. :negative:

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug

DACK FAYDEN posted:

something, can you separate out the "tooltip" options more than just "on/off"? I want to keep the ones that show equipment stats, those are kind of way more important :v:

e: oh also I hate mouse dragging, can I right-click to trash item and double-click to equip or something

The options is super rpugh and just barely in. Itll get more sophisticsted with time. And ctrl click auto trashes.

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug

GrossMurpel posted:

Just got to the broken time machine, can't wait to rake in all the dosh!
Is there any point in the adventuring segment now, though?

Time machine's base gold is based off the best gold drop you've gotten from adventure.

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
I've been meaning to get around to that yeah. you're not the first to do it. Still fiddling with the numbers for magic and figuring out how to fit it into the game.

Speaking of - what do you think of either giving magic a initial speed higher than 1, when you unlock it? Or alternatively, a special offer for Magic speed, like Energy.

something fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Aug 14, 2017

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

My magic speed is at 0.1 after the real unlock because I bought a regen upgrade. Would it have normally started at 1?

No it starts at 0 because the figure in the exp menu is what speed you've bought. internally, the speed is 1 + that number.

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug

Kraven Moorhed posted:

ItRtG chat: I just got a pet token from a free draw. I take it this is one of the more rare drops -- which pet should I unlock?

I hope i'm not too late but THE ROBOT. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD GET THE ROBOT

1) can only be gotten via pet token
2) one of the highest starting growths of alll pets
3) (the biggest reason) its special ability is +100% to growth campaign bonus. This means your big guy ALSO adds dpuble growth to your little guys making them big guys even faster.

If you already have the robot then i suggest the eagle for similar reasons but its bonus is the item campaign. More rare item drops is real good.

Also i'll take the time to plug itrtg.wikia.com - it's a bit buried in the faq in-game but its basically the "official" wiki. I also had a hand in writing up a good amount of it :D

something fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Aug 23, 2017

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
It might be referring to the crystal feature. Complete a UBC (Ultimate Baal Challenge) to unlock it.

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug

Ignoranus posted:

Let me take the time to say thanks, then - I've finally returned to ItRtG (you can sync Kong with Android through the "Connect" option on the "Info" button) and I've been using the info on the Wikia pretty heavily. The "Speedrunning" page made me finally realize that it's OK for me to rebirth with lower multipliers and that it's even worthwhile to stockpile some God Power. Now I'm trying to build some of that up so I can actually progress.

If you head to room 1 on Kong, you'll find me dispensing speedrunning tips, if you're really into that sort of thing.

I kinda really like speedrunning in general.

Klungar posted:

I kinda feel that I'm trapped in this at the moment. I just started playing this a couple of days ago, and left the game running overnight, and came back to some significant creation achievement related bonuses, but now my subsequent runs are requiring a significant amount of time investment to regain those achievements to keep moving forward. Should I keep doing this to keep getting stronger to kill more gods (I just killed Diana this run)? I'm not at the point where gods continually give GP, so maybe it is too early to worry about it.

Speedrunning is generally started when you're on the cusp of beating baal, or post baal. The first run up the gods is a bit of a slog no matter how you do it. But when you get close to baal/beat him for the first time, you could start doing 1 hour rebirths and mostly staying in the coatlicue-baal range, and farming some early GP. Also, a tip for you at the diana stage - gently caress creation achievement bonuses. Gett just a couple low-hanging ones, then make clones all day, every day, hit the soft 99,999 cap ASAP. That'll help you gain momentum.

something fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Aug 23, 2017

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
So, I have a question for anyone who tried my NGU game a while ago - I've continued working on bits of it here and there, and I had an idea to hopefully make the adventure/loot system more engaging. Right now it feels a bit bland to me cause it's just "Get gear from one zone,boost it to max, wait a long time til you reach the next zone unlock, rinse and repeat."

Do you think it'd be better if any given loot, and any given stat on it, had a variance on its capped stats of 10-20%? So what I mean is, say an item right now has the following caps for its stat bonuses:

20/100 attack
4/20 def
Special: Energy Power 5/10

Right now, every drop of that item is gonna be just that. With the system i'd maybe like to do, the drop could be something like:

23/87 attack,
5/22 def
Special: Energy Power: 6/11

or on another drop:

16/106 attack,
3/17 def
Special: Energy Power: 4/13

The idea being, getting any drop from a new zone is gonna be a nice improvement, then for the next while you're going through drops and occasionally ditching an old drop for a new one which rolled better stats.

Would that be "fun"? Or just an RNG slog?

something fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Aug 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug

Elswyyr posted:

I'm not a fan. In fact, I'd say that drops should be much less random. I'd suggest a way to break down excess gear drops instead, using it to craft enhancers/other gear pieces?

That's an interesting idea So, you'd be able to convert one piece of gear to another? What first came to mind was a tf2-esque style. Insert piece of gear you don't want, output is some sort of resource akin to "metal". that + gold = item of your choice, within that tier.

something fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Aug 23, 2017