Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Progress Quest is from the 56k days, it was a parody of RPGs. I feel it saw where RPGs were going and was ahead of it's time.

Also swarm sim should be in the OP, while no longer updated it's a really good game with an actual end. It feels complete overall. Last achievement is kind of a grind and feels left to give people something to grind while new content was coming that never came.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Cinara posted:

Thread has a distinct lack of mentioning Trimps. It's not to the level of Realm Grinder, but it is one of the best incremental games that gets regular updates.

This game is great, much quicker to get into now too with heirlooms and achievements. Used to take months to get to the real meat of the game breaking planets.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Eldercain posted:

What am I supposed to be spending this helium on? None of these things seem especially spectacular.

Carpentry which gives you more Trimps per building is awesome when you unlock it. Looting gives more helium in addition, making it a nice dump Toughness and power really really help. Without perks getting to even zone 20 takes forever. I'm at 4.3e6 total helium (progressive zones give exponentially more helium) and it takes me around 6 hours to get to zone 80. Not sure how useful this will be since you wont have even half of the stuff unlocked but I'm currently running this

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Aurora posted:

It's linear

Well breaking the planet (zone 60) causes the amount to skyrocket at least. As do the helium challenges.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Carados posted:

Does meditation do anything? Seems dead to me most of the time. I reset before it adds a significantly amount.

It's cheap just over 1k to max, it helps if you are playing and doing other things and have the storage for it. If you forget about the game and stall out at Zone 55 or something it's nice to have the extra stuff to get back on task.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

If anyone is looking for a mobile idle game Nonstop Knight is pretty good for Android / iOS It has a hack and slash setting where your character runs through dungeons killing things going floor to floor even when the game is closed. He stops at bosses so you need to "play" there by taking on the boss after upgrading your gear and you can mash some skills if you want and go back to idling. It has a pretty standard ascension feature, you get currency based on how far you got and use it to buy 50% stacking upgrades to armor attack and so on.

I'm liking it a lot so far. The "premium" currency seems to not really have a use you can use it to buy gold to upgrade your gear that goes away when you ascend (you play idle games so you know anything that is 1 ascension only is useless). You can also use it to buy a revive which lets you power through a boss, but you are better off just ascending and killing that boss next go through the dungeon or idling for a few hours for the gold to upgrade and beat him and then ascend. You can also watch an ad in the shop for a "free" item when stock refreshes, sometimes its a revive pot you might want to pick them up if you have a 45 seconds to waste.

It plays great as free and has really pretty graphics. Art style looks like the action RPG Fate which I always loved the art style there. Bosses are rather frequent for a true idle feel probably needs about as much attention as trimps, early game is going to be massing attack boss until you get to where you were before and need to grind for a bit to get to the next area.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Meskhenet posted:

are void maps newish in trimps?

I just got my died 50 times to the same mob.... god these are tough

They give heirlooms they are intended to be done right before you portal out. They've been around for a few months now. They are 400% harder mobs + other bonus to them. You ideally want to figure out where you can do them and either keep pushing after that or far more likely just portal out because everything else is going to just be slow.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Meskhenet posted:

In Trimps, if i get the gigastation upgrade (which changes the warpstation) do i still get the achieve for building a warpstation (and the 2.5% damage increase) or not?
I havent built either yet but ive got a few minutes before ive got the gems lol.

Achievements are permanently unlocked when you meet the conditions. Gigastation is just a way to reset the cost of warpstations and cram in even more. Warp stations don't upgrade, they reset. So if you build 80 Lv1 warpstations you keep all the trimps when you use gigastation I to make Warpstation II. You make that to level 80, upgrade to gigastation II for warpstation III get 80 of that and so on.

80 is a number I pulled out of my rear end, upgrade when the going gets tough because you'll get a ton of the upgrades early on and you can likely only afford to build 2-3 warpstations in a run. The cost stays relatively flat so you end up building around the same at each level usually heading slightly downward. You lose nothing by upgrading other than the opportunity to build more lower level ones, which give less trimps per building, but it all adds up.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Meskhenet posted:

I'll be resetting way before i end up buying more than 2 or 3 of these things. Its just that it cost the same as the warpstation and for a first time purchase you get the bonus.

Now that I think about it the first few portals I had warpstations I was trying to figure out how to min/max the cost of them. After a few runs you'll actually be trying to get the most trimps out of it because you would be waiting for the next upgrade constantly to try and min/max gem cost. Don't forget Motivation increases gems from tribute also more trimps in general let you have more guys working and more coordination levels letting you push further. Which really more warpstations are just letting you get more coordination and metal for upgrades, but at some point raw population will be the bottle neck.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Dev has been out of content for a long time and just adding insane long grinds to try and keep people around until he has an idea to milk them for more money (or to get them to buy more Kong stuff). Move past RG, it's been adding filler for longer than it's been adding solid content.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Naylenas posted:

Anyone playing Slurpy Derpy? It's very similar to that ant game where you breed up kings and queens to get better stats and then send workers to produce goods, fight, and research upgrades. I've evolved once and have some stuff automated right now.

Well there goes all my free time this is amazing.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

dis astranagant posted:

If I was worried about that I'd never try a new idle game until it was too late to talk about it.

Getting in too early in an idle game gives you a save that is always at end game where you breeze through content. Getting in the day an idle game is released is almost always a sure way to get way ahead of the curve and have balance changes making what you did impossible and without content for 9 months while the dev makes content for everything he just neutered while you keep idleing at or close to max intiger value.

Not that you can't just hard reset most games!

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

Death Squad 2 updated and I no longer hate it; equipment automatically upgrades itself after runs so you don't have to futz with that anymore, and the balls now only require three clicks which is much easier to activate at will (also whatever was causing lag on my end isn't as bad anymore for whatever reason). However the author recently had a kid and so there's not going to be any more updates for a while.

Infiroad is still way more fun. :colbert:

If his wife was expecting, why did he release a new idle game? They need so much tweaking early on that all momentum is going to be lost by the players. He should have not released until after he could code again unless it really is just a cash grab to get stuff for the kid.

Idle games tend to have hilarious bugs and exploits and sometimes they are complete but rarely so soon out the gate.

I like Infiroad but its' a bit short. It feels pretty complete, but you are left wanting more. In Swarm Simulator at the very end I had my fill and just wanted to get the last few achievements (which were pretty lovely long grinds likely intended to not be reached until after another content update that never came).

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Evil Mastermind posted:

The arrows adjust the enemy level, the shield means you'll fight only when you wouldn't suffer a loss, and the plus means you'll automatically fight the largest enemy.

Really I've just been clicking the swords when the timer hits 0 and using the arrows manually because yeah, it's poorly explained.

If you hover over something at the very top is a tooltip box! It does tell you what things do. It doesn't tell you that you can click the right side of buildings to toggle them off, or for the trading post that it toggles buying and selling different things.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Sage Grimm posted:

Yeah, you want all their titled stuff. 4 or 5 for the new race is about right.

Comments from the dev indicate that he is aware achievements that aren't decrease the timer need a buff as they are garbage in comparison in the mid and late game. I think they are nice, but not against min maxing.

Dev seems active, its really light on content I'd call it more of a teaser or sample of what the realm grinder killer will be.

It's not like it's hard to add a month worth of content to an idle game if you need to keep players add some long grind perks that will be easier to get as you add more early game content or races.

In theory the game could have dozens of races and minor achievements where they all interact being key but adding a new race seems like the most time intensive thing he could do. Easier would be achievement fluff where no graphic assets are needed it gets tiered.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Aurora posted:

And boy, here I am on my year-plus-long save with still no Overkill. :v:

Same, actually current run is unlocking it for me. Finally going to catch up to endgame

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Ineptitude posted:

Lazy Kings is interesting and i hope it gets fleshed out more, but it is a bit rough around the edges.

For battles while playing elves, the only thing that matters is your Archer quantity. A battle will only be "won" once the enemy number is lower than your archer number (since each archer kills 1 enemy), so buildings such as ents who kills enemies in battle effectively do nothing.
Same with orcs, your orcs lost per battle is [enemy number] - [your champion number], not taking into account towers.

You are missing ents druids and Phoenix for elves they matter a ton for getting things done. Orcs, dragons and trolls are nice, but ogres and Hydra are the real power house

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

New update for Lazy Kings. Tons of new achievement points and ways to spend them. Still sorta figuring out the new deal.

Updated again, few new things to spend achievement points on and highscore list of achievement points by race. I'm 4th in every race but human, I'm 9th there. I just don't think I "get" the progression system for them.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Ghostlight posted:

The green swords means you will attack as soon as the timer hits 0 and you fulfill the requirements.

If you hover over the enemy force it will give you a tooltip of how many losses your attack will incur - for humans its in peasants - and you need that many before the attack can happen. If you've toggled the shield green then you won't attack until your military units are strong enough for the expected losses to be 0.

Humans are in soldiers actually unless you have the achievement which he likely does not.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

CubicalSucrose posted:

In Lazy Kings, where is "Apocalypse" (referenced in the achievement points screen)? I've got buildings up to pyramids for undead but none of them seem to have any options for it.

Conclave, it's the one that throws books at the enemies

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Indecisive posted:

Anyone know a good autoclicker / macro maker type thing that can do both keyboard and mouse inputs? There's so many trashy looking ones I dont want to search through them all

Auto Hotkey and AutoIT are the 2 big ones

I use this one for everything, F7 presses 123456 really fast you can just hold it down, F8 clicks really fast with a 5ms delay and f9 clicks really fast no delay in a small area for games that don't like you clicking the same pixel.

This one is in Auto Hotkey, I call is Clicky.ahk
code:
CoordMode, Mouse

F7::
    While GetKeyState("F7", "P"){
        Send {3}
		Send {4}
		Send {5}
		Send {6}
		Send {2}
		Send {1}
        Sleep 5 ;  milliseconds
    }
return
F8::
    While GetKeyState("F8", "P"){
        Click
        Sleep 5 ;  milliseconds
    }
return

F9::
    While GetKeyState("F9", "P"){
		MouseGetPos, OutputVarX, OutputVarY
        Click
		Click, OutputVarX+10,OutputVarY+10
		Click, OutputVarX-10,OutputVarY+10
		Click, OutputVarX+10,OutputVarY-10
		Click, OutputVarX-10,OutputVarY-10
    }
return

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Daerc posted:

You need to go to the menu and start a new game to spend them, it's not really intuitive.

Lot's of stuff isn't that intuitive in that game. and I find that half the fun. Figuring out what everything does. I'm sure once the game has a bigger end game a better tutorial will be important. I can see how deep the game could get with more races and more interactivity between them. It's early game, this could end up shallow or amazing. Right now I'm hopelessly addicted around 25-29 achievement points per race which is the endgame right now.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Phssthpok posted:

It helps to open two windows of Lazy Kings at once so you can read the descriptions of multi-level rewards in one window while you spend them in another. Also so you can close one of the windows if you click "continue" too soon in it.

Not like you lose achievements you could just press new game again

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

TTBF posted:

Slurpy Derpy updated and my remaining research time went from 5 hours to 27 years. Jesus, the research curve was already my least favorite thing about this game and now I'm probably gonna quit it.

I just can't get into Lazy Kings or Idle Kings or whatever it's called. It looks terrible and doesn't seem to have anything that separates it from an early cookie clicker clone.

After you get past humans and unlock the other races it opens up a ton. That's basically the current end game you can reset to spend your achievement points on perks that will cause the races to interact which is really cool. But there really isn't anything after that it's just more of the same.

I love the game, but it's still clearly in early development. It could really use humans getting a bit faster, usually takes a good 6 hours for someone to unlock Orcs, if you know what you are doing it only takes about an hour or two but even that is a bit long to get to the interesting bit. At least once you unlock a race you always start with it on New Game!

Oh slurpy derpy, I loved that game early on, but the dev made a post on reddit that he later deleted when he nerfed achievements giving so many slurpies (they used to grow exponentially indefinitely not just cap at 5 or whatever). His response wasn't about game balance but that he had seen very little income and how many hours he had put into the game and how the players owed him money for all the development time so far. It's not a cash grab if you are trying to earn your regular paycheck!

I'd much rather play a game someone is making for fun and the money is a secondary goal. Expect more bullshit and paywalls to creep up if you stick with that one.

pixaal fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Sep 23, 2016

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Lazy Kings just added a new race! Much like when undead was added there aren't any achievement perks from it or that impact it. Expect new cool stuff in the coming days to spend the points you earn now.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

As with most races there are 8 things to fight with the bottom right being empty forever. I like undead a lot they really take off once you spend achievement points.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Eldercain posted:

So what's the mix with them? I feel like they stall out real hard maybe until you get fight timers down with other races. Maybe I'm past the endgame part now, but things like mummies and abominations just don't feel that good, and lich growth is suuuuuuuuper slow compared to other races. I'm getting ghosts from orcs and that's great earlygame but is there some mix I should shoot for? I find they're most useful for providing apoc to the other races.

e: Apoc doesn't seem to affect southerners yet, I assume that'll be changed. It would affect my growth with them a lot since they don't seem to have a lot in the way of sustainable enemy depletion.

The game end game is early yeah. But it's get ghosts from other places, and have every other race give proc all your timers. Let tons of your guys die and just refill with necromancers. Aboms are really powerful if you do the +2arms /second while you AFK and when you are around do the damage. You end up with a bunch of arms that do 15+ damage since each building causes an additional damage per arm.

Ghosts from Elfs and Orcs never stop being good, a ghost is the same as a lich. 1 Ghost per second created is the same as 1 lich that is made on attack that kills 1 per second. Ghosts are actually really important and mires + mansions is really powerful.

And yes, I assume the global "all races" will get added to southerners he did the same with undead when he added them. It's so that if there is a balance issue it doesn't mess with every race and he can reset just that one race. He already reset Southerns once.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Eldercain posted:

I haven't really done much with coffins/necros since I assumed they weren't as good as just having decent other sources of skeletons and then focusing acolytes on apoc. I'll turn my necros on and see how it goes. I'm guess I'll switch to frolic, although I don't use it much early since having that many elves never seemed good early/mid due to wood being restrictive. It'll almost double my ghost production which doesn't seem like it'll change *that* much and I guess I'll try and get enough coffins to overcome the deficit to corpses. Maybe I just need to fully embrace it and see how it goes.

I have elves on full time book duty to support monks/apoc and I can't really see there being a better thing to loot with them? I have enough eggs to have a deep enough pool for replenishing.

It's an interesting game mechanically but like most idle games it's pretty easy to blast past the point where you're progressing.

The game is clearly in early development you're trying to get more out of it when you are at the end game waiting for new content. The leader board is the end game.

Also you don't need corpses for skeletons outside the necropolis. A necro is also the same as a ghost, since it lets you lose 1 more skeleton per battle. The goal with UD is to balance all your sources that are basically equal to each other.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Cowman posted:

How the gently caress do you spend achievement points in Lazy Kings?

Edit: Start a new game, of course. I wish the game had a better UI and tutorial.

It's so quick to get to end game right now half the fun is figuring out the little quirks that open up faster progression.

The new game to spend points would be nice though, maybe call it new game++ at the very least. Markets could use a better selection of course but overall the DOS feel of it is fine. QoL changes not a full overhaul is all that is needed.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Phssthpok posted:

Wishlist for Southerners achievement rewards:

- Water Wheels effect Plantations.
- Morale effects Banks.
- Coliseums produce blood and ghosts.
- Elves' Frolic increases Barn production.
- Other races' losses to Southerners create slaves (and replace Rogues with Southerners).

If we keep getting races more need to "solve" like the elves. You can safely leave elves on getting books for everyone else 90% of the time sometimes switching frolic to cultivate to get more buildings. Increase what is being fought, and get a few more Phoenix to burst down when you are active. Having to switch things around often can be tedious early into a reset when you are trying to basically juggle 5 idle games that you just reset.

I like that it's basically 5 games that kind of interact (but only after going into newgame++) The interactions just need to get powerful enough and more mid / late game that you can lets some races do their thing without having to go okay I need wood and stone and oh god some more food would be nice too!

Perks hidden behind a challenge run would be interesting and solve much of the problem with adding a powerful perk would be. You could just wait get a few achievement points go into newgame++ and get a massive jump start. Undead is interesting in that so many buildings can produce when other races attack so they get better with overall achievement points decreasing timers.

At some point it might make sense to take points out and just solely focus on timer since each point in timer is worth more and more. going from 60 to 59 and 2 to 1 sure it's 1 second saved, but going from 2 to 1 doubles your income from battle and 60 to 59 only increases it by 1.77...% Basically that last point is worth the same as the other 58 combined.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Dragongem posted:

so I just got into Trimps

how deep is this rabbit hole

The game is a slow burn of constantly changing how you play back and forth for slightly optimal you can just power through and not change things up of course. You will have content for over a year most likely with more being added. You can go much quicker by scripting but that steals all the fun.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

GrossMurpel posted:

Do the resets ever require less babysitting? I think I got 1 or 2 resets in and then just quit because every time you have to make sure to get new buildings and upgrades every 2 minutes.

If you want to min/max being active will help bring the run time down. At zone 180 you get "watch" which auto grabs all the research so you jut need to build things if that's what you want. Though at that point running a map at zone 20 40 60 80 and every 10-20 after that is usually enough. When you run a map you just upgrade and buy housing at that point. I think every few hours 5-6 times a day will get your runs to the around 24 hours and a good gain of He. Some people do much longer runs that are 1week+ because they check in so rarely and that's fine if that's how you want to play.

Other people do many 4-6 hours runs a day.

Also at 180+ you start getting Dark energy which will let you auto grab housing in any type of challenge run.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Sage Grimm posted:

The automation options to start are auto-upgrade (zone 60) and auto-prestige (completing a certain challenge that explicitly states its benefit). Automation of storage is hidden behind a game mechanic that you would likely not stumble on without spoiling (Beat a Void map at zone 150+). And there's one last automation technique for a trimp job that is also hidden but I managed to hit it (Beat Bionic Wonderland IV).

I'd suggest playing Trimps without help until you're starting into the helium challenges and then decide if getting the java-script aid AutoTrimps is worth your while.

You'd hit both of them at some point, you can just get them early and they are really nice if you push an extra few hours like if you know you aren't going to be active over a long weekend you can plan to unlock it by forcing it checking in once or twice a day.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Lazy Kings just updated. A few achievements added per race and southerners now have a full set! Also you get achievement points from more things now.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Klungar posted:

The early game of Trimps is just so loving slow. I had to cheat myself some bones just to get through it. I've never experienced an early incremental game as rough as that.

It used to be even slower, though there wasn't as much mid game and late game content. Getting past Zone 60 used to be 4 months.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

The game changes drastically after 60 and again around 200. It's not designed for this early of a game. You should also be resetting for He and not just when you unlock a challenge. When things get slow reset. Auto Trimps also robs what makes the game interesting, all the slowly shifting of what you need. Also with 4.0 storage stops being an issue once you hit zone 75 since it will auto buy. Right now auto storage is at 150. It's really the only lovely part of the game.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Meskhenet posted:

trimps is an idler, not a clicker. Bringing auto storage to lvl 40 will be a huge game changer. i cant wait for that.

It's 75, which is shortly after the "tutorial" is over at 60

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

In Trimps I just got Foremany I Mastery, this makes early game even easier since you don't have to switch to building since everything is building at max speed with 5000 foreman. The little things in this game make it great. I'm barely able to scratch the spire but I'm catching up to the content!

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

McDragon posted:

Trimps is definitely one of the idlers I feel benefits immensely from an auto thingy, but only after a point because I quite like the progression up to there. Like reaching the Spire maybe? Constant portalling gets to be a huge pain at some point but I can't remember where other than somewhere around there.

At this point unless anything really new turns up I'm probably just going to go ahead and just watch the numbers get bigger. And that's okay.

Trimps 4.0 is currently in beta, it has new post spire content. Something about magma and it looks pretty cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Aurora posted:

Also that achievement for 100 of each housing building.

Its not a huge damage increase and it costs a good bit of He, you also have to factor in a bunch of warpstations. You should not go for that until you are going for 100+ warp stations for your first set consistently. That is also the only 100 wormholes I bought I ignored them entirely but I feel I could have spend up my early game by making use of them.