Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Amberlyn
Jan 5, 2010
A bird made a nest in the fern hanging from my back porch....actually it looks like two different birds' eggs.

First time I checked there were just two eggs.

Went back a couple days later and there were three.

Mama bird?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freakbox
Dec 22, 2009

"And Tomorrow I can get Scared Another Day..."
I'm not an ornithilogist and I'm on a tiny phone, but iirc that's what we okies call a "Cowbird", and they're little shitheels. The small eggs probably belong in that nest if there's more than one of them. The jerkbird lays its egg in another mommy's nest and then dicks off, leaving stranger mom to raise it under the impression that she just happens to have one fat, weird baby.

Since it's usually bigger than the native eggies it often monopolies food and the original baby birds starve to death right under mom bird's beak :ohdear:

Freakbox fucked around with this message at 14:01 on May 16, 2016

Amberlyn
Jan 5, 2010
Well, poo poo.

What do I do?

pandaid
Feb 9, 2004

RAWR
Let nature take its course and post pictures of tiny cute bird babies. For science.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
Would also be willing to bet that the bigger mottled egg is a cowbird egg, and the smaller speckled eggs (and mama) are house finches or something similar.

Amberlyn
Jan 5, 2010

pandaid posted:

Let nature take its course and post pictures of tiny cute bird babies. For science.

Well, here you go.....for science. I can't believe how fast they hatched!!

Hard to tell how many are in there....I guess that's the cowbird one because it seems bigger than the other one (or maybe two) that are snuggled up behind it.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

Freakbox posted:

I'm not an ornithilogist and I'm on a tiny phone, but iirc that's what we okies call a "Cowbird", and they're little shitheels. The small eggs probably belong in that nest if there's more than one of them. The jerkbird lays its egg in another mommy's nest and then dicks off, leaving stranger mom to raise it under the impression that she just happens to have one fat, weird baby.

Since it's usually bigger than the native eggies it often monopolies food and the original baby birds starve to death right under mom bird's beak :ohdear:

This post is hysterical.

Please keep posting and discreetly feed the other babies if they get muscles out by baby jerkbird.

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

Supposedly the chick will also eject the unhatched eggs at some instance to get the most amount of attention and food.

Also if the cowbird's egg was manually removed, the female cowbird might actually come back and destroy the whole nest to increase the chance of them having a new nest with their youngs being raised.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

What assholes.

Anyway you cut it there is a cute baby bird there...needing to have pictures taken of it.

And if you are inclined there is a forum full of people who will help you feed some birds if they get nest ejected. Just saying. :)

Amberlyn
Jan 5, 2010
Man, I really pissed this baby bird off by aiming my camera at it. As soon as I got close, it started squawking and opening its beak....thinks I have food for it maybe? I also have a short video...you can really hear its pissed off noises. Need to figure out how to post it.

Amberlyn
Jan 5, 2010
Figured out the video. One unhappy bird baby..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZhxE2bsCAw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

Aahaaahaaa, yeah that's one hangry baby! What a cutie. Keep posting updates!!

• Locked thread