Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I've been thinking about this on and off for the past few because I'm pretty drat sure Puerto Ricans DID vote to become a state last election. If I remember after the vote the ball was in congress's court to get the process rolling (or something). So what happened? Is it really just a matter of congressfolks just not giving enough of a gently caress to put together the legislation before everyone forgot about the whole thing? Or am I just grossly misinformed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Ferroque posted:

On December 11, 2012, the Legislative Assembly of Puerto Rico enacted a concurrent resolution to request the President and the Congress of the United States to respond diligently and effectively, and to act on the demand of the people of Puerto Rico, as freely and democratically expressed in the referendum held on November 6, 2012, to end its current status as a territory and to begin the process to admit Puerto Rico to the Union as a state.[1]

In 2014, resolutions were introduced in both houses of the United States Congress (H.R. 2000; S. 2020) to hold a yes-or-no referendum among Puerto Rican residents on statehood, with a "yes" majority compelling the President to submit legislation enacting Puerto Rican statehood.[2][3] Both resolutions died in committee.[4]

Argh.

"Hmm. Puerto Rico voted for statehood. Think we should make them a state?"

"Do we HAVE to? I have an appointment with my chiropractor in an hour."

"Well, how about we propose another referendum to them asking 'Are you SURE you want to be a state?'"

"I like that idea. You want to draw up the papers?"

"Are you kidding? My day is packed, I have nearly a dozen lobbyists in line to suck my dick and that's just this afternoon."

"Well, drat. Ain't nobody got time for this Puerto Rican poo poo. Let's just ignore it and if anybody asks we'll just keep saying 'we're working on it' until nobody remembers."

"Now that's a plan. It's a lot cooler having exactly 50 states anyhow."

• Locked thread