Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

Man am I ever fuckin' smart. I guess Rods are pretty busted in this game, then, if they have their own categorizing

I should go read an LP or something before the thing starts so I have half a clue going in

Rods give you 185 base damage spells at a point where you otherwise only have 50 (or 75 with the other use of rods). So instead of hitting some nerd for a few hundred you hit him for like 3k of his 2k hp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Chaotic Neutral posted:

That's why it'd be a hidden command, because chaos demonstrated that people will lemming into anything that sounds interesting.

Hard to keep hidden though, so if it's that (and I think it is) I expect a lot of them to be started and unfinished.

Chaos is the best, though. People play chaos because it's good and fun.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Chaotic Neutral posted:

Yeah, but I mean more the fact that people were 100% all in with Chaos before we even knew what it did.

Like, we had guesses, but nothing concrete.

And the main guess was right, minus a detail.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

We have Y-burns, and we have Butz.

I need Adamngolem.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Genocyber posted:

Want to do a normal run in preparation for the fiesta, anyone got recs for a good GBA emulator?

VBA-M or Bizhawk.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Christ, do you want this to be his last fiesta?

One berserker is seldom a bad thing. It's only when they start piling up that you have problems. Or when you get monk/thief for wind and a late fire job :v:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

A single berserker is a solid addition to most teams, though there are a couple fights where you'll want to kill them off because of counter attacks. 2 isn't that bad, either. It's when you get 3 or 4 that things get ugly, so maybe don't do chaos risk for your first run but otherwise go hog wild.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

LemonAIDS posted:

How would you do omniscience with 4 berserkers

Everything in world 3 after the pyramid is optional.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Poque posted:

It took my registration but didn't put a little wand next to my name, so hopefully it is aware of the 750 modifier and isn't just gonna poo poo infinite berserkers into my body.

rand/chaos 750s don't show on the player pages yet but are recorded properly.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

MrAristocrates posted:

I want complete bullshit though

maybe you'll get a winning run like the Dragoon/Berserker/Berserker/Beastmaster that carbybot gave me.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

Methinks since I've never actually played FFV I'm just gonna register normally because I'm a giant sissy and berserker risk sounds scary :ohdear:

normal + berserker risk isn't bad at all. Berserkers only become a problem when you have to deal with several of them.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

You could also try keeping it in your pants for a week so you don't burn out before it counts.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Dr Tootz! reporting for duty.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Dr Pepper posted:

The Sealed Temple bosses are pretty fun in my opinion due to them figuring that anybody doing them knows all the tricks and designed them accordingly.

In a standard fiesta run the best party you could pull is Thief/Summoner/Beastmaster/Chemist but even then you'll probably regret not being able to negate Neo Shinryu's Almagest with a shield. Archeodemon is the first big bullshit point because you need to either get reflect on him or have a black mage or summoner to even have a chance. And reflect results in him killing one of your guys every time you attack.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Jun 6, 2016

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Time Mage would be better for Hastega and Quick, and for pummeling Archeodemon with Meteor.

Chemists can mix up immunity to instant death, and specifically make allies Heavy. One mix does inflict Reflect but it also has protect, shell, and regen on it. I don't know if Shadow Flare would trigger his Death reaction, since I've never bothered.

Omega Mk. II is a problem but IIRC you don't actually need to beat him to get to Enuo.

Doesn't meteor run the risk of his other counter script wiping you every time you try it?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

code:
Counter(Var00=00 & HP Damage){
     {Curse,???,Nothing}
     }
As much as anything else, really.

Yeah, but 4 times in a row rather than giving you time to mitigate that between casts.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Chaosno750risk with the all the burnouts

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

KataraniSword posted:

It's a fantastic concept marred by two things: One, every FF5 romhack ever is based on the Japanese Super Famicom version, which means that almost all of them are in moonrunes and thus incomprehensible if you don't have a FAQ like, right there.

Two, the FF5 Ancient Cave isn't nearly as flexible as the original Lufia 2 one. It turns out that there's very definitely a specific winning "kit" that you need to have, or else you just fail miserably.

Ancient Cave has a translation, at least. Still has zero replay value once you figure out how to win, though.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

the Orb of Zot posted:

He was manipulating levels to use Goblin Punch as his main form of offense against Neo Exdeath.

I don't think there is a emoticon out there that could adequately explain the sheer stupidity of his route.

:allbuttons: tries but just doesn't get there

The multiple solo grinds and vanishingly unlikely to work on any given attempt strategy for getting aqua breath are just :dawkins101:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Asiina posted:

Okay next year's run needs to be jobs that don't require any grinding to get right. No chemist, blue mage, beast master, summoner.

Just give him a team he can hit A with and win.

This team requires no grinding (other than maybe some minimal turtle shell/dragon fang grind) and he still hosed it all to hell.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

the Orb of Zot posted:

Yeah he'll plot around doing as few A presses as possible or something.

Go Quadzerker, start the fiesta proper once they all reach NED because if we actually had to wait in real time for them to beat him with 4zerk...

Mercy kill it at sandworm or they'll have to skip the fiesta that year.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

He's definitely not allowed mystic knight ever again because it's always the basis of the worst loving ideas.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Hymirvetr posted:

I have no way of disabling the chicken knife proc tho? Why shouldn't I take Brave Blade and simply not flee? Or am I missing something?

"simply not flee" makes a lot of areas loving awful and the chicken knife still does half again as much damage as the brave blade when you factor in turns lost to the proc.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

As for legendary weapons, I'd go Assassin's Dagger, Rune Axe, Flame Lash and call it a day. If you really want come back for Excalibur and Magus Rod but they're not that important. I guess since you have a Berserker you can bump excalibur up in place of Assassin's Dagger now that I think about it

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Jun 12, 2016

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Pennfalath posted:

So, does #blameeverhate ensure you get quadzerkers?

Try it and give us a trip report.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Alxprit posted:

Guess who got Berserker despite not risking! (It's me)

Question. Is it worth it to have Berserkers equip Barehanded and go as such for the time being? Since that's about all I got, and I imagine Daggers wouldn't be that much of an upgrade. I don't know if you still get that One Free Purchase at Karnak in the GBA version. Just trying to plan ahead...

Berserkers with knives are great til world 3 when there just aren't enough good knives to go around.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Oyster posted:

I went ahead and got Shiva. Makes Nakk grinding WAY easier.

What's a good number of rods to have for World 2? Granted, I have a chemist, though am woefully inexperienced with its brokenness. I'm sure that and the summoner can carry my 2 zerks easily enough, anyway.

Titan is better than rods, drastically so once you get gaia gear 5 minutes into world 2. Maybe bring a handful in case you need them for something earth doesn't work on but don't stress it, especially with Chemist in tow. Instead get 99 turtle shells and buy out the Lix item shop.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I need 6 good weapons for berserkers with dualwield and I'm drawing a blank since I really don't want to have to do any of the world 3 dungeons

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Bruceski posted:

Lessee... Earth Hammer (Pyramid), Dancing Dagger (Moogle Forest), Thor Hammer (void castle I think), maybe Chicken Knife, Rune Axe (better than nothing)...

Earth hammer is worse than the air knives it would be replacing in most cases, same with dancing. Thor Hammer is a rare steal form an enemy with a common steal at the complete rear end end of the void. So far I think it's gonna be rune axe + air knife, assassin dagger + air knife, and thief knife + air knife. Maybe replacing the thief knife with the one guaranteed thor hammer. Chicken knife is welded to my ninja's hands but might not work out with elixir duties.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Trasson posted:

The real interesting decision is what to use on your Ninja.

I ended up doing something insane and I'll post my team when rugwizard runs out of gas and I can finish the job.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Did a couple goes one full berserk but it just wasn't happening so item bot and almagest/grand cross slayer. Lenna kept her knife to make good on that second part, the zerkers had plenty of offense anyway. I have a plan for Shinryu but I'm pretty sure I need to grind into the 70s to implement it and I don't feel like it right now. Might be a while before I do another chaosno750.

Needed something close to 200 loving reflect knight kills to get my rings :argh:

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Jun 13, 2016

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Golden Goat posted:

Decided to just hop ahead and check my full team.

Beastmaster/Berserker/Berserker/Berserker.

Yay :suicide:

Whipzerkers are good

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Run is finally over. Omega's impossible and I'm not gonna try but Shinryu can be brute forced with any tin can class and a ridiculous amount of grinding.

That's the setup. That's the first time shields have been in use since shortly after Karnak, when I ground out elixirs and abp in the ship graveyard world map room. I ended up grinding out a third ice shield and some more bone mail because this run went full retard. You only have to worry about evil eye, physicals and maelstrom + lightning. Team is level 67 so the berserkers could eat a physical and live. Could probably have gone fuller retard with thor hammers in the back row but I was hating myself enough as it is.

Mah deeps. She has berserk set since she's often the first to drop. Lennaninja was a great help in Ronka and early world 2 making GBS threads out scrolls and stayed in her spot on pure inertia.

Kitty!

Probably not doing another chaos no750 any time soon. Also probably not doing anything so stupid as to get Twintania's Titan Axe with a solo character who couldn't survive Gigaflare again.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Bufuman posted:

The last (and honestly, only) Zerks-Only wall of World 2 is down.

This was an interesting battle on account of a crapton of missing on both sides. The Berserker's infamous accuracy issues meant that everyone was whiffing for about half their attacks. But they also made generous use of their shields and blocked more than half of Exdeath's own physical blows. Particularly notable was Lenna, who only took one hit the entire goddamn battle and blocked absolutely everything else that came her way. Including the Reverse Polarity that switched everyone else to the front row after I started them in the back and the Firaga that would've healed her back to full. Good work on that, Aegis Shield! :argh:

Shame that both Bartz and Krile made it nearly to the end only to bite the dust shortly before the sisters brought him down.

Additional note: I love that the gargoyles guarding the pyramid aren't heavy. Death Sickles are still the best even two worlds later. :allears:

I gave my zerks orichalcum dirks and air knives in world 2. Too much stuff that trolls death sickles and no real reason to drop accuracy for venom axes.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Gortarius posted:

I did this last year but I'm still not sure about all the rules and regulations.

Can I do a run just playing completely normal? As in, use whatever class whenever? Just in case I want a completely casual experience.

Do I have to use one job from each crystal for every type of run? I can't for example use 3x Earth + 1x Wind or 4x Fire etc.?

What about having duplicates? Three Geomancers for example, or two W.Mages and two Summoners?

I know there is all this lol berserker stuff where you could have four of them but I'm interested in other scenarios too.

The completely casual experience is 750 (you only get powerful wizards except for not very powerful geomancer and dancer) but you might get stuck with white mage start. White mage start is basically impossible to kill but has gently caress all for damage. This is a Final Fantasy game, it's piss easy if you have even half a clue.

If you do random or chaos you'll be assigned jobs that can be more than one from the same crystal. Only chaos can generate long term duplicates. In the early game you'll have duplicates because you stop using freelancers as soon as you can have a job to use.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Edward_Tohr posted:

Disappointing observation: Gaia Hammer's Quake procs still trigger Omniscient's react:physical.

It's by command, not anything to do with the actual result. Plus I think the only way the player can get quake otherwise is hippy non-magic, anyway.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Gortarius posted:

Is there a single benefit for having a Berserker? They are slower than anyone else and miss most of their attacks.

The fastest possible character only gets about 25% more actions than a berserker, but berserkers get better than 50% more damage. Knives work great on them when you aren't using death sickles or the rune axe, though there's a pretty drastic shortage of them later in the game. Accuracy is on the weapon and knives are both 100% accurate and ignore half the target's evasion. Between berserk's 50% attack bonus and axes ignoring 3/4 of enemy defense, they smash right through armored enemies.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

KataraniSword posted:

That's just his pet bird, well-known for its heartiness. (No, seriously, those fuckers have like boss level HP for no good reason.)

And a pitiful but not nonexistent run chance so you can't run but keep trying anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Gortarius posted:

Hmm. I don't know if it's the jobs I have but this is just so... boring.

Is the Animal command really this useless? There are ones that don't seem to work at all, the flying squirrel doesn't do anything as far as I can tell and the damage ones are very weak. Nightingale is good at least but good luck trying to get that.

!animals is level based and really good from like 15-25 and then again at super overkill levels where a full heal pops up increasingly more often. Most of the effects are also magic based which rangers don't really have much of. The reason everyone likes ranger is that you get the best physical skill in the game when you master them. !Rapid Fire ignores evasion and defense while doing double damage split into 4 hits vs randomly selected targets. It also lets you avoid the flee chance on the chicken knife but still procs blind and death from the dark and killer bows.

• Locked thread