Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
I didn't do BERSERKERRISK last year, but will this time. If I'm unlucky enough to roll three zerks, what would hypothetically be the best and worst jobs to have as my one non-berserker?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Thief wouldn't be so bad, because at least you could put Artful Dodger on the berserkers.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Barfz

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Any of the normal jobs you get from the four crystals. It doesn't include Freelancer, Mime, or any of the extra GBA jobs. While you can purchase Mime or Freelancer through the job fair, there doesn't seem to be a way to get any of the GBA jobs.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

The Fiesta mod unlocks all jobs from the start, so its main use is for Chaos runs. That way if you roll all Earth crystal jobs you don't spend a full third of the game as Freelancers.
The mod also alters the final boss' sprite to something silly, so it may not be a good idea to use for your first ever playthrough.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the Fiesta mod also improve the quality of the GBA version's music? Or is that a separate mod/patch?

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

That's a pretty good party, actually. White Magic on the Berserker makes Rune Axe viable, and the Geomancer works well as a secondary healer or chemical mixer. Of course any party with a Chemist become either three chumps acting as meatshields while the Chemist does all the real work, or four people with !Mix.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Berserker risk means you can get multiple zerks regardless of the type of run. I think Chaos might be the only way to get four Berserkers, though.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

But Chaos was new last year, right? Did no one ever get multiple berserkers before then?

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

I actually like Classic and did 3 runs of it last year.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Aw geez, I don't really remember, and last year's info isn't up on the fiesta website anymore. I'm pretty sure my last party was Thief/Thief/White Mage/Black Mage. I distinctly remember the second Thief had nothing much better to do in the final battle other than throwing elixirs at the mages to keep them going.

EDIT: Actually I can just check my #victory tweets. Looks like I remembered wrong and only did two Classic runs. The first was Knight/Monk/Red Mage/Red Mage. Red Mages are definitely lame in Natural, and are the only thing that make me hesitate to do another Classic run this year.

Mountaineer fucked around with this message at 06:24 on May 30, 2016

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Oh boy, I'd just been thinking "if only I could combine Chaos with 750 or no750" and it turns out you can do that now.

quote:

@FF5ForFutures #regChaosNo750 #BERSERKERRISK

:getin:

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

neongrey posted:

Went for a 750 chaos risk, watch me get zerk/zerk/geo/geo :smithicide:

Let's be honest, that would at least be better than four geomancers.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Aw geez, there's gonna be so many berserkers this year. If I get quadzerkers, I'm allowed to job fair one or two of them away right?

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Nothing like going through the Fire Ship with a team of Geomancers. I realize you're not supposed to have Geomancers yet at that point, but it feels like that dungeon and Liquid Flame were designed to completely screw over Geomancers.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Asiina posted:

Does everyone else remember their very first fiesta team?

Mine was Monk/Summoner/Bard/Dragoon. It was a really good team if not a little boring on the physical side of things. I still have a soft spot for Summoner and Bard and secretly wish for them every year.

White Mage/Berserker/Beastmaster/Samurai from a standard fiesta run. I was annoyed at getting a zerk despite not signing up for the risk, but he ended up being pretty good with Equip Whips. Somewhere in World 2 I learned to love that party when I realized they were actually a pretty solid team despite my early misgivings. I'm still ashamed I didn't get the Triple Crown, but I didn't know the strategies yet.

On the subject of the Doctor Tot naming scheme, will alternative spellings like "Dr.Tot" or "DocTot" be accepted?

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Because his attack would be delayed by !Focus, not the knife.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Dr Pepper posted:

Speaking of Brave Blade...

:siren: I will donate 5 dollars, up to 25, for each person who gets Knight and beats the game with a fully powered Brave Blade.:siren:

Post a screenshot of the Brave Blade equipped in the thread when you beat Exdeath.

If I get a Knight and neither a Thief or Ninja in my ChaosNo750, I will totally do this.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Flame Rings can be useful for the crystal guardians in Moore forest, depending on your party composition. You might be thinking of Reflect Rings, though, which you can grind for in the Barrier Tower. I usually obtain a full set for the Exdeath battle.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

InfernoBlade posted:

I decided to pledge an extra $500 for each of the runners that kills Omega + Shinryu in their runs. Hopefully they make me pay ^^

You mean for The Run? I got confused for a moment and thought you meant literally every player in the fiesta (you'd easily be pledging well over $100,000 in that case :shittypop:)

With a team of Blue/Mystic/Bard/Chemist it would be shameful if they didn't get the triple crown.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Twelve by Pies posted:

poo poo, I just realized I have work tomorrow right during when The Run will be. :(

I guess I'll just have to read about the craziness from this thread then.

Yeah, I'm working too. On the upside they'll probably be done or nearly so by the time I get home, so I'll have the Fiesta proper to look forward to all day.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Dragonatrix posted:

Oh, okay. I decided to see the rest of my loadout and... Dragoon/Berserker/Berserker/Berserker, huh? Well at least Dragoons are a sturdy itembot.

My team, too! Lances for everyone, I guess. I'm already stuck on Byblos...

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Dr. Tot lives!

Team was Dragoon/Berserker/Berserker/Berserker. It was...an experience, for sure. Using the Thief Knife to steal some Dragon Lances from Jura Aevis was well worth the effort.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

KataraniSword posted:

That was for The Run at the start of the Fiesta. No making someone literally bankrupt for charity, sorry. :shobon:

I'm sure there will be SOME people making donation clauses for every player triple-crown, though.

I saw someone pledge 1 cent for every single. NED, Omega, and Shinryu kill.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Dr Pepper posted:

:patriot: Keep it up guys.

I haven't quite finished the run yet, but here's my full powered Brave Blade:

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Classic run complete!

Also :siren:Brave Blade:siren: run complete!

Shinryu fell, but I did not need his sword for I had a better one.

NED forced me to use many phoenix downs. I really wish Red Mage could cast Shell.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Edward_Tohr posted:

Took a little while to figure out how to get the active character indicator thing into the gif properly.

... and then had to re-do it because the blasted thing was a pixel too high.

I totally want this. Anyone got a suggestion for the custom text?

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Dylanthulhu posted:

So I'm doing my first run of FFV as a FJF. First class was Knight. Second one was Berserker. Anything I need to be careful about in the immediate future?

Yes, murder your berserker before fighting the boss in the fire-powered ship. In the timed escape sequence after that, be sure to explore and open chests instead of just escaping immediately.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Asiina posted:

Well now that I'm out I guess I'll grind up some more. I may still get a crystelle, but honestly, I feel like my dudes are going to die too much for it to remain on them for multiple almagests. I should probably just get some releases that do a lot of damage instead and try to fight my way through NED.

Don't forget that the Beast Killer whip does extra damage to the part that casts Almagest, and the Dragon's Whisker does extra to the Grand Cross part.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Bruceski posted:

Any tricks? I've had a few goes at him and nothing really got anywhere. Currently using reflect rings to dodge spells, and was using mirage vests but that burns off quickly so I'll probably switch to heavier armor (though maybe not bone mail since I have someone to throw out elixirs like candy). Main things I'm considering:
--thief knif-ing up two more aegis shields.
--knif-ing up a dragon lance or two for the increased damage. Berserker with the holy lance is already second on damage behind the chicken knifer.
--Alternately, knif-ing up some more Thor's Hammers so people can sit in the back row. I'm not sure how the math on that offensive/defensive tradeoff plays out.

Other than that I'm not sure what to throw at it other than more levels.

I had this exact party, and beat NED at a lower level than you. I stole three Dragon Lances to put on the Berserkers even though it was tedious. The damage was worth it. Wear Hermes Sandals, use the Dragoon to heal with elixirs.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Has anyone gotten both freelancer and mime in a pure chaos run?

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

AlphaKretin posted:

Does the Enhancer consume MP to crit like some FF6 weapons? Gunch would bypass that. Only conjecture though, I'm phone posting so I can't check anything concrete.

That's the Rune Blade, not Enhancer.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

I put off this run for a long time, and I think it'll be my last. A triple crown was probably possible with this team with some effort, but I was ready to just get it done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

I did one upgrade run and did not really enjoy it.

Poque posted:

What were everybody's most-fun and least-fun runs this year?

Most fun: Run #3, a regular Chaos run with Dragoon / Bard / Mystic Knight / Red Mage
Bards are fun, also this was my first time with a Mystic Knight so that was cool. Red Mage ended up being half-decent for once since in the endgame I could slap !Spellblade and an Enhancer on them. This was one of my only two triple crown parties as well.

Least fun: Run #2, a Chaos 750 run with Geomancer / Geomancer / Red Mage/ Time Mage
gently caress Geomancer, gently caress Red Mage. Only the Time Mage made this run bearable and at least I got a free triple crown out of it, but there was no joy in it. All the quickleaking did at least inspire me to get my current avatar, so there's that.

Honorable Mention: Run #1 Chaos no750 with Dragoon / Berserker / Berserker / Berserker
My first time doing BERSERKERRISK, and it was a doozy. It probably looks like a miserable party, and it kind of was, but I enjoyed being really challenged by it. Stealing a few Dragon Lances let me really tear up the endgame, though.

• Locked thread