Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
davey4283
Aug 14, 2006
Fallen Rib
Problem description: My mic will not recognize sound. A week or two ago, Skype was working just fine. Tonight I tried to use it and the mic wouldn't work.

Attempted fixes: I tried checking the device manager to make sure it's enabled. I tried checking for driver updates using windows update. I tried using the windows voice recorder to make sure it wasn't just a skype software issue. I checked the 'recording devices' when you right click the volume icon on the task bar and the array mic is set as default, instead of the headset which is correct. Not sure how to pursue this further.

I also found this page on google: https://www.microsoft.com/surface/en-us/support/hardware-and-drivers/troubleshoot-surface-audio?os=windows-10

I ran the crappy ms troubleshooting program for my recording hardware. It gave me an error saying that the "Audio format was not set to default - not fixed - (red X) . Not sure what that means since the mic is set to default in the sound properties. Also did the 2 button shutdown. Neither worked.

Recent changes: None that I am aware of.

--

Operating system: Windows 10 Pro - 64bit

System specs: MS Surface Pro 4, i7-6655U core, 2.2ghz; 8gb RAM; 256 SSD. 2 month old unit. Got it in April. Comes with Realtek Mic Array installed.

Location: Abu Dhabi, UAE however this unit was purchased off of a US seller through Amazon. It's a US product.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davey4283
Aug 14, 2006
Fallen Rib
Well I kept screwing with it and got it to work 5 mins after my OP.

I rolled back the driver and voila, poo poo worked.

Why would a driver update screw up my hardware like that on a brand new unit? :iiam:

• Locked thread