Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Welcome friends or rather, failte, to the Republic of Ireland thread for Euro 2016.

The Republic of Ireland is not to be confused with the similar but unrelated UEFA Conference franchise, Northern Ireland.

Some facts:

Population: 4.6m, most of which claims to have tickets to the games so apologies in advance, France.
Football Association: FAI http://www.fai.ie/ireland
Number of domestic players expected in Euro 2016 squad: None, ZERO
How we qualified: 3rd place playoff! :smug:
Odds of winning the tournament: 100-150/1 depending on who you ask

Our Euro 2016 Anthem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2zKFftSjOc

Fixtures

Jerseys:
Home:

Away:

Current Provisional Squad + insanely bad gis results for each

Goalkeepers:

Shay Given (:stoke: ) 40 Years Old, 133 Caps - Still kicking around, unlikely to be first choice but still one of Ireland's better options

Darren Randolph (West Ham ) 29 Years old, 8 Caps - Played 15 times this season for West Ham which makes him one the Irish players playing at the highest level right now. Lol

Keiren Westwood (Sheffield Wednesday ) 31 yeas old, 18 Caps - Two very good seasons with Sheffield Wednesday but still only 3rd or 4th choice which is a pity.

Defenders:

Seamus Coleman (Everton ) 27 Years Old, 32 Caps - Despite Everton's poo poo defensive perfomances, Coleman's reputation has remained largely intact. Could be first name on the team sheet.

Cyrus Christie (Derby ) 23 Years Old, 4 Caps - An alright full back who I don't see very often

Ciaran Clark (Aston Villa ) 26 Years Old, 15 Caps - As an Aston Villa player he shouldn't even be on the 35 man squad but here he is.

Richard Keogh (Derby ) 29 Years Old, 11 Caps - Good leadership and has been one of the Championships big players for a few seasons

John O'Shea (Sunderland ) 35 Years Old, 111 Caps - Has played with the best and against the best. Old as gently caress obviously now but still a big part of the team

Shane Duffy (Blackburn ) 24 Years Old, 2 Caps - Former Everton youth product who looked promising but seems to be finding his level in the middle of the Championship. Probably won't make the cut

Stephen Ward (Burnley ): 30 Years Old, 32 Caps - Good enough all-round defender. Should make the squad after an alright season with Burnley

Midfielders:

Aiden McGeady (Sheffield Wednesday ): 30 Years Old, 81 Caps - Useless tricky winger who never beats his man and loves to do stepovers

James McClean (West Brom ) 27 Years Old, 36 Caps - Good winger on his day. Prone to saying stupid stuff or get into discussions that footballers should stay away from

Glenn Whelan (:stoke: ) 32 Years Old, 69 Caps - Despite the fancy dans Stoke have playing for them now, Glenn is still a big deal and is an important player for Ireland

James McCarthy (Everton ) 25 Years Old, 33 Caps - Heralded as a future great but now runs around aimlessly in Everton's midfield. Will most likely make the cut

Jeff Hendrick (Derby ) 24 Years Old, 18 Caps - Handy player who had a good enough season as Derby made the Championship playoffs

David Meyler (Hull ) 26 Years Old , 14 Caps - Not first choice but a decent enough option in the middle.

Stephen Quinn (Reading ) 30 Years Old, 12 Caps - Occasional appearances for Ireland but unlikely to make the squad this time

Wes Hoolahan (Norwich ) 34 Years Old, 26 Caps - Really great player during the latter stages of the qualifiers, incredible work rate.

Robbie Brady (Norwich ) 24 Years Old, 20 Caps - Good winger who can cross really well which is a shame as none of Ireland's forwards are very tall

Jonathan Walters (:stoke: ) 32 Years Old, 38 Caps - Incredible performances for Ireland in the last few years. Body is starting to creak this season but seems to be approaching fitness.

Forwards:

Robbie Keane (LA Galaxy ) - 35 Years Old, 143 Caps - Ireland's record goal scorer and has the most caps. Not the player he was, his presence in and around the squad is still valuable.

Shane Long (Southampton ) - 29 Years Old, 61 Caps - Ireland's best striker probably. A decent season at Southampton and that goal against Germany. Not convincing but the best we've got

Daryl Murphy (Ipswich ) - 33 Years Old, 20 Caps - Scores on the reg for Ipswich which makes him one of Ireland's top strikers. No goals at international level, god bless him

Manager: Martin O'Neill - 24 Games Managed, 41% Wins - Aston Villa's last good manager (lol) has done a good job since taking over in 2013. The football is hardly scintilating but there seems to be both a Plan A and a Plan B which is incredible when you consider Ireland teams of old.

Assistant Manager: Roy Keane - Mentioned here as he gets almost as much screen time and column inches as O'Neill and seems to have channelled his quite incredible rage constructively in his role as Assistant Manager. Genuinely scares a lot of the squad and prone to some excellent outbursts or rows with journos.

Sneaks McDevious fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jun 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)
code:
        Long
Brady Hoolahan Walters
  some other cunts
ftw imo.

Its utterly criminal that Hoolahan has had to wait this long to be an Ireland regular, gently caress Trapattoni the daft oval office

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Blue Star Error posted:

code:
        Long
Brady Hoolahan Walters
  some other cunts
ftw imo.

Its utterly criminal that Hoolahan has had to wait this long to be an Ireland regular, gently caress Trapattoni the daft oval office

Agreed, OP on pretty much all you said and thanks for posting in this thread. My thread.

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015
I just came here to see if Robbie Keane is still going,
and he is

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

UnlimitedSpessmans posted:

I just came here to see if Robbie Keane is still going,
and he is

And making serious money

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup
This is a good op

I want Ireland to do well cause me mam is irish. Luckily I have ingerland to fall back on if it goes tits up

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

David Forde hasn't been Millwall's starting keeper for about a year lol if he plays at the Euros just lol

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Chris de Sperg posted:

David Forde hasn't been Millwall's starting keeper for about a year lol if he plays at the Euros just lol

There is a player from Oxford United on the squad so the bar isn't exactly high, see also the amount of Championship tags

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)
You've included Bumley in the Champ but Norwich/Villa also in the Champ are we in some sort of limbo where teams have been relegated but not yet promoted its like that week after christmas but before new year

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Blue Star Error posted:

You've included Bumley in the Champ but Norwich/Villa also in the Champ are we in some sort of limbo where teams have been relegated but not yet promoted its like that week after christmas but before new year

Thanks BSE, I have corrected this error and will also take into account the outcome of the playoff final for consistency

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

julian assflange posted:

Thanks BSE, I have corrected this error and will also take into account the outcome of the playoff final for consistency

Are you hoping Hull win so you only have to make one change?

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Blue Star Error posted:

Are you hoping Hull win so you only have to make one change?

Sheffield Wednesday ftw!

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
That song isn't as bad as the Wales one imo. Congrats, Ireland.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
Christ, McGeady's only 30 and he's in the Championship(ish)? He really was just a one trick pony.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Eau de MacGowan posted:

Christ, McGeady's only 30 and he's in the Championship(ish)? He really was just a one trick pony.

He's poo poo OP and I hate watching him for Ireland

Visual Sneeze
Mar 4, 2008

Rose City 'til I die!
I knew gently caress all about the team aside from Keane before checking in on this thread. But I've thrown in with the Irish because the Dutch couldn't be bothered to qualify, and well, gently caress it.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Visual Sneeze posted:

I knew gently caress all about the team aside from Keane before checking in on this thread. But I've thrown in with the Irish because the Dutch couldn't be bothered to qualify, and well, gently caress it.

Welcome, friend. Place a bet at our current odds of 150/1 and enjoy the wealth Ireland will bring you.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Eau de MacGowan posted:

If you had asked me his age and what he was doing these days I would have said 38 and retired.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
He's a bit like Andy Reid who from 23 onwards just looked poo poo and old

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
Andy Reid never had a loving devastating FIFA move named after him though.

Carrier
May 12, 2009

Andy Reid was a loving legend

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I know all the posters are waiting for the final squad but we must wait until Tuesday as for some reason our friendlies are late.

O'Neill will have 90 minutes, from the end of the Belarus game, to confirm his squad. Great stuff!

Visual Sneeze
Mar 4, 2008

Rose City 'til I die!
I watched the friendly today and Ireland was a lot stronger than I expected (against the reserves of a bad Dutch squad). Willems was Holland's best player on the day for my money and managed a nice assist to tie it up but I thought Ireland looked the better team. Are people expecting the Irish lineup to change much for the tournament?

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Visual Sneeze posted:

Are people expecting the Irish lineup to change much for the tournament?

I don't think so. Given my analysis of the squad has been fairly wrong for some players, I was pleasantly surprised by a few players...Duffy in particular. I don't believe he will be the first choice though.
Arter impressed everyone as well but I'm not sure if he will start over Hoolahan.

All in all that was a decent performance though there was a feeling, to me at least, that they took their foot off the gas around 60 minutes. Can't be doing that.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

It seems the Ireland squad is old and poo poo. Who is the great future hope of the emerald isle?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

sebzilla posted:

It seems the Ireland squad is old and poo poo. Who is the great future hope of the emerald isle?

It's definitely Jack Byrne, who Pep will make great use of after his loan last season.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

I'm an Rapids fan, so has Kevin Doyle been called up for the Euros and if so how long is he gonna be gone?

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

LionYeti posted:

I'm an Rapids fan, so has Kevin Doyle been called up for the Euros and if so how long is he gonna be gone?

I think he will make the cut so, assuming Ireland don't make it out of their group, he will be gone until the 24th of June. Squad is announced on Monday or Tuesday

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
Apparently Robbie Keane hurt his calf and won't be playing against Belarus tonight, and is possibly out of the euros. Everything's coming up Sweden...

cadfael
Nov 7, 2010

Thanks OP. FYI I didnt watch all that much of Ireland's qualification, but Ive pursued their recent results over the last 3-4 years and, just looking at them on paper...well they just look comically bad even by their usual tournament standards. Will they get more or less bummed every game and huff and puff to a 0 point exit? Will they somehow qualify out of a group with a half decent looking Belgium, Italy and Sweden in? I can't quite put my finger on it precisely, but im sure these lads will provide a great deal of entertainment. Ones to watch imo.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

cadfael posted:

Thanks OP. FYI I didnt watch all that much of Ireland's qualification, but Ive pursued their recent results over the last 3-4 years and, just looking at them on paper...well they just look comically bad even by their usual tournament standards. Will they get more or less bummed every game and huff and puff to a 0 point exit? Will they somehow qualify out of a group with a half decent looking Belgium, Italy and Sweden in? I can't quite put my finger on it precisely, but im sure these lads will provide a great deal of entertainment. Ones to watch imo.

Expectations are low however the team is always well organised and from aside, from the defence, can be considered 'okay' pretty much everywhere else. I don't forsee Ireland getting thrashed however some sadface 1-0s are most likely or maybe a point against Belgium or Sweden.

Pat Mustard
Mar 9, 2013
I'm feeling strangely optimistic. Italy are shite and Sweden are shite bar Ibrahimovic.

The only question is are they shite enough to be less shite than Ireland?

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
where can I catch the Ireland Belarus game

Pat Mustard
Mar 9, 2013
It's on Setanta Ireland and possibly Premier Sports. Which are actual TV channels as far as I know. Hleb's playing for Belarus, I was sure he'd have retired by now.

Edit: 1-0 to Belarus lol

Pat Mustard fucked around with this message at 20:06 on May 31, 2016

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I hate Turners Cross so much

e: lol, this is pub soccer

Pat Mustard
Mar 9, 2013
I'm just glad there aren't any teams in our group as good as the mighty Belarus.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
This is a dumb thing to say but Ireland lost that game the moment they decided to play it in Turners Cross

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

Pat Mustard posted:

I'm just glad there aren't any teams in our group as good as the mighty Belarus.

Is Alex Hleb still around? He was a good lad.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
:3::3::3::3::3::3::3::3::3::3::3::3::3::3::3:

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soc...n-34749100.html

e: OP trimmed after 23 man team was confirmed last night.

Roy Keane had some kind words for the team after the defeat to Belerus:

"We wanted to kill some of them last night,They should be counting their blessing that they've managed to get on the flight."

"A reality check for one or two players who thought they were good players"

"They need to push themselves that doesn't come from the coaches. It comes from good players, good pros. We trained this morning... the Glenn Whelans, the Jon Walters, the Seamus Colemans... I didn't have to push any of them this morning. Strange isn't it."

"If you want my reaction to Aiden's [McGeady] performance last night, he can do a lot better but maybe that's the story of his career."

"I don't think whatever Gibbo did last night, unless he got a hat trick, could have changed the managers mind," he added.

Sneaks McDevious fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jun 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Scotland didn't make it so I'm gonna be making GBS threads up this thread instead.

• Locked thread