Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I honestly can't think of a single legitimate reason anyone would go to India and white people who go "for the culture" certainly don't count.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-36417789

Real quality doctoring over there

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
You're on his radar Haier because he's a mod and they are loving lame.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

oldpainless posted:

I honestly can't think of a single legitimate reason anyone would go to India and white people who go "for the culture" certainly don't count.

Beauties? Cool nature stuff?

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

oldpainless posted:

I own a studio apartment in a very clean little river town (cost like $2k) and riding trains is fun and squatting to take a dump is awesome. Beat that, hotshot!

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Captain Yossarian posted:

Beauties? Cool nature stuff?

There are beautiful people in most countries

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Haier posted:

I'm confused why oldman splicer thought this post was TRANSPHOBIC and probated me for it. Was it my "improper" use of pronouns?

The story was:

I was on a full train bound for Kolkata and we had stopped briefly in a station at about 5-something AM. I was sitting in the back of a chair car (as opposed to a sleeper, which suck to be on generally), and a hijra (Indian trans person) climbed on and started doing a cultural thing that they do best: demanding money for "blessings" and getting really nasty when people don't give in. A lot of thieves, beggars, and con-artist men put on saris and some make up to "beg" for money this way, and in no way are they part of the actual transsexual crowd in India (though they have their own set of issues).
The hijra started getting really pushy and raising his voice and the tired families were not willing to put up with this poo poo so early, so they were just tossing rupee notes and coins at him to make him go away. The "blessing" was him putting his hand on peoples heads and walking by saying "Om Sai" or something.

The hijra arrives at me and I pretend to be sleeping. He shakes me, and I open my eyes and say "paise nai" (no money), because I didn't want to donate to this extortion and my money was all zipped up in my bag at my feet anyway. He pushes me and asks again. I repeat my phrase, so he brought his left hand up to my cheek and tried to dig in with nails. I pulled away at the moment he was trying to rip and break skin. I said "Get the gently caress away from me," and he moved on.

He didn't break skin, but it scared the poo poo out of me for a minute. I got my blood tested some time later, which is a good idea after a long time in India, and I did not get any hepatitis or anything.

TRANSPHOBIC?

Edit: The term hijra isn't a slur, and if anyone thinks it is, you're wrong.

ban for boring long rear end post

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

oldpainless posted:

lol if you do anything ever for any reason

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

boom boom boom posted:

There are beautiful people in most countries

Hmm boy you've got me there I guess nature is the same everywhere you go too so why travel anywhere for anything!! :prepop:

Edit: also, did the original question asker somehow not think of traveling for business?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Hmm boy you've got me there I guess nature is the same everywhere you go too so why travel anywhere for anything!! :prepop:

Edit: also, did the original question asker somehow not think of traveling for business?

I'm just saying, you can go see the Grand Canyon, scope some AZ babes, and never once see a human corpse floating in a river

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat

oldpainless posted:

When I worked in cust serv (that's short fkr customer service) Indians were the most cheap deal-wanting people around. They ask a question, get the price and immediately they're all "my friend come on" "you gotta help me out my friend"

It's like motherfucker I don't know you. I don't make commission or set prices. Buy it or not or better yet send your daughter over here

"i can have cheaper?"

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

boom boom boom posted:

I'm just saying, you can go see the Grand Canyon, scope some AZ babes, and never once see a human corpse floating in a river

I've been to the grand canyon already? I mean, I know what you mean and all but there are plenty of reasons to go to India

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Like getting permanent gut damage and making GBS threads like you're in India even when you aren't!

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
lol why are americans so scared of India?

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

RideTheSpiral posted:

because its not just cops leaving bodies in the streets

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

RideTheSpiral posted:

The plague?

Syllables
Jul 2, 2011

XOF XOF XOF

:fag:

oldpainless posted:

To see their culture before they become a superpower by 2020 :v:

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
It's where rich blond white girls go to feel spiritual.

Worldshatter
May 7, 2015

:kazooieass:PEPSI for TV-GAME:kazooieass:

I mean it's probably nice to visit once or twice but I wouldn't want to live there

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Why didn't you kill that Motherfucker where he stood

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I did some research and found that Rackspace outsourced a bunch of their cust serv (that's short for customer service) to India to save costs but they did such a poo poo job and made customers angry so that instead of the initial projected savings of 6 million dollars Rackspace ended up losing 9 million dollars. So good on India for taking a bunch of rich tech nerds for a couple million bucks.

Those aren't the exact numbers but they are there to just make a point because that really did happen

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

RideTheSpiral posted:

I've never seen a dead human body not in a casket and I don't aim to start now

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

Wicker Man posted:

It's where rich blond white girls go to feel spiritual.

India is the Burning Man festival?

a turnip
Jul 22, 2015

by Shine
i made an account on shaadi dot com but it was full of peoples mums asking me to marry their daughter

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

oldpainless posted:

I did some research and found that Rackspace outsourced a bunch of their cust serv (that's short for customer service) to India to save costs but they did such a poo poo job and made customers angry so that instead of the initial projected savings of 6 million dollars Rackspace ended up losing 9 million dollars. So good on India for taking a bunch of rich tech nerds for a couple million bucks.

Those aren't the exact numbers but they are there to just make a point because that really did happen

Bell Canada was using Indian call centres for their customer service and there was such a massive backlash that they had to go back to In-Canada customer service. Before that, when I was still a Bell customer I spend 6 months trying to get back a $100 late scam fee for my DSL router. For hours on end I was on hold while the various customer service guys in India would pretend to transfer me to a manager, and then still say there was nothing they could do.

I finally got frustrated enough to just call a random Bell office in Toronto that was in charge of telling service trucks were to go. I asked to speak to the manager, told him the situation, and three days later my refund cheque was in my mailbox.

Customer service sucks when it's really hard to understand them due to poor English abilities. Customer service loving BLOWS when they literally have no power to actually help you out with your situation because they are told to "stick to the script until the customer hangs up".

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
People rounding/stealing up cattle, usually owned by farmers, to sell to the beef industry are not popular people. There are many watch-groups across India looking or illegal traders or thieves and these guys get caught every day and get their asses kicked.

It's the middle of the hottest part of the year in India and these illegal trucks were trying to transport stolen cows to sell for slaughterhouses. No water, cramped as hell; many died in the heat. Hindus were having none of it.

The driver, apprehended. NSFW
http://imgur.com/Dg1pGSs

His truck after unloading the cows.

Jaya Hind.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine
India seems like a really awful and dirty place.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Huh. For some reason it's never occurred to me that cattle thievery was still a thing in this day and age. :laffo: I'm not sure why they set the truck on fire. They aren't able to seize it? Though I guess those people aren't actually the police and it'd be considered stealing.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Wedemeyer posted:

Huh. For some reason it's never occurred to me that cattle thievery was still a thing in this day and age. :laffo: I'm not sure why they set the truck on fire. They aren't able to seize it? Though I guess those people aren't actually the police and it'd be considered stealing.

This ensures that the driver doesn't just give the cops an affordable bribe and go about his business the next day. If they burn his truck, he or his boss are going to take an actual financial hit.

The Whoreax
Sep 7, 2008
I speak for the wood.

Wedemeyer posted:

I think you're thinking of cattle herds as organized in a central area in a ranch etc. India is nothing like that. This is a case of people stealing cows from rural individual subsistence farmers who have a couple at most for dairy, and for all practical purposes have them roaming free during the day.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWMTj-rejvc&t=36s

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

Wedemeyer posted:

The guys in khaki outfits in the truck burning photo are the police. Bribery is a common way to get anything done in India, but not all the police are bad (usually just the guys in charge). Yes, a lot of these guys in the trucks bribe police but it's usually at the borders. The most common thing is that they truck a ton of cows out of the state into a bordering state or one past that and then sell them.

There's a lot of cow protection groups that pay attention to this and when the trucks get seized they take the cows and put them into different cow farms (goshala) where they are taken care of and allowed to chill for the rest of their lives.

NotDeadYet posted:

I think you're thinking of cattle herds as organized in a central area in a ranch etc. India is nothing like that. This is a case of people stealing cows from rural individual subsistence farmers who have a couple at most for dairy, and for all practical purposes have them roaming free during the day.

One of my best friends there had about 20+ cows but they had to be locked in a small area next to his house because they were about 3km away from a muslim area. If he let his cows roam free in the fields near the house, one or two might disappear at some point because the muslims would come up in trucks and force one onto it so they could go kill it for whatever reason. He was a dairy farmer and could make enough to live decently off of the milk each cow could produce. Though he went to university, he got tired of the office and financial world in India and quit with a good house in his name and started collecting calves and raised them to be his dairy cows. They were like family members and when he'd walk into the barn they would all bow to him, which was amazing to see.

So yeah, losing his livelihood and esteemed pets would definitely suck for him, what to speak of poor guys who relied on the cows to plow and for selling milk and cheese.

Haier fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jun 1, 2016

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Wedemeyer posted:

Cows are like $1000/head and can be relatively easy to steal. It's a big deal still in states like Montana, Texas, etc which is why they have such favorable home defense laws -- for cattle rustlers

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

A big "Fuck You!" from the Keyhole nebula

Lipstick Apathy

oldpainless posted:

Let me tell you about the time that the Royal Bank of Scotland outsourced their IT to India to save a few £ and ended up costing over £100 million in fines after someone fat-fingered a software upgrade

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/06/28/rbs_job_cuts_and_offshoring_software_glitch/
http://www.bbc.com/news/business-30125728

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Cattle theft is still very common and still occurs frequently in the US, fwiw

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
You can't even kill your own cow in most of India, which is great if you're a Hindu, and not so great if you're anything else. (Or just enjoy a good burg.)

http://indianexpress.com/article/explained/explained-no-beef-nation/

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Is it true that their universitys are just diploma mills

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Cattle theft is still very common and still occurs frequently in the US, fwiw

Is claim jumping still a thing? Seems like that'd be a lot more lucrative.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
My brother has a factory in Gujarat, India due to cheap labour costs, and he tells me that it's very hard to operate a business without paying bribes. Want to get your containers of material off the wharf? Better cough up some rupees so it isn't "lost" in the system. Want your tax return actually processed? Stump up some more "black money". He says he's been to government offices that had desks with stacks of cash on them that had to be split up between the different officials in order to get stuff done. He tries not to get involved in these processes (as per his home government recommendations), but it's very hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CHEF!!!
Feb 22, 2001

Gromit posted:

My brother has a factory in Gujarat, India due to cheap labour costs, and he tells me that it's very hard to operate a business without paying bribes. Want to get your containers of material off the wharf? Better cough up some rupees so it isn't "lost" in the system. Want your tax return actually processed? Stump up some more "black money". He says he's been to government offices that had desks with stacks of cash on them that had to be split up between the different officials in order to get stuff done. He tries not to get involved in these processes (as per his home government recommendations), but it's very hard.

Between this, their horrid education system, and the fact that "Half of India’s population, or at least 620 million people, defecate outdoors," I roll my eyes whenever people say India is going to be a superpower anytime soon. I certainly hope to visit there sometime in the next few years but ye gods it makes the problems afflicting us here in the US seem like nothing.

• Locked thread