Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
I'd vary the Canadians so there's at least one purely antagonistic faction - insurgents who want revenge and will kill Americans on sight, bikers who want to live the Mad Max lifestyle, or theocratic survivalists who want everyone to convert or die.

There's also First World nations -they can be neutral at first but perhaps they can become allies as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moto42
Jul 14, 2006

:dukedog:
I think they'd all be pretty 'gently caress Murica, eh.'
With the range going from 'Kill all the USA people', to 'Looks like the screwed you over too'.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Thanks, I plan to run a variety of attitudes like you've mentioned. I'm thinking there might be a few people who are roaming raiders who are intent on blaming the US and others that are semi supportive and refugees. The border has essentially been erased.

I made a Market Forces tracking sheet for your large fights. It has 10 part time, 3 full time and one management hit box.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/189zi2GZKezanCjSBiIZ3g_7tNdsDf-5i/view?usp=drivesdk

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Kommando posted:

Thanks, I plan to run a variety of attitudes like you've mentioned. I'm thinking there might be a few people who are roaming raiders who are intent on blaming the US and others that are semi supportive and refugees. The border has essentially been erased.

I made a Market Forces tracking sheet for your large fights. It has 10 part time, 3 full time and one management hit box.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/189zi2GZKezanCjSBiIZ3g_7tNdsDf-5i/view?usp=drivesdk

Nice sheet! I will probably be using it next time I run RM. I will also get Caleb to save it on the RM site with the other downloads.

ThreeStep
Nov 5, 2009

Moto42 posted:

I think they'd all be pretty 'gently caress Murica, eh.'
With the range going from 'Kill all the USA people', to 'Looks like the screwed you over too'.

A "hey we would have done the same to you if we could, no hard feelings" group would be interesting. Probably dangerous one way or another too.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

clockworkjoe posted:

Nice sheet! I will probably be using it next time I run RM. I will also get Caleb to save it on the RM site with the other downloads.

Thanks for making it CC so I can do that. I'm working on a v4 of the form fillable character sheet, but two stage buttons for stun/kill damage is a puzzle.

ThreeStep posted:

A "hey we would have done the same to you if we could, no hard feelings" group would be interesting. Probably dangerous one way or another too.

Yeah. That's a good arc for the ones who frequent the Enclave.

Unfortunately the Takers didnt pick up the Ranger job in the first game, they went with the 'go get some morphine from the hippy commune for the Latent Doctor'.
I had them bump into a casualty gas trap in a Canola field.
They find a casualty zip tied to a cross made of zinc plumbing pipe attached to a gas bottle in a thin drainage ditch, it wakes from its torpor and shakes the cross. the gas starts hissing, and Engine aims his shotgun at the casualty. Family Man practically dives on him to stop and Slipstream smashes its head with a brick. A mob approaches from 3 shambles away and they decide to run. Several of them fall in the ditch failing their athletics checks, Slipstream falls on the crucified casualty.
They get up as the zombies close to frenzy and then Fams shoots the gas. The canola is flammable and the field starts burning. Slipstream is unhurt but his whole front is covered in mud or blight, they all keep it together and decide not to shoot him. Yet.
they dont go back to search for bounty, they just leave a burning field, and no idea who set up an ineffective trap.

Negative Entropy fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Apr 7, 2018

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Red Markets now has a Quickstart Guide!

It's a 45 page document that has:
* a summary of the setting
* a summary of the rules
* a guide/rules section for the Market
* a small equipment section
* a sample Enclave
* pregen characters
* a sample Job
* a combat summary cheat sheet
* a blank character sheet

Get it from drivethrurpg below as a Pay What You Want purchase, and the proceeds go to Laura Briskin-Limehouse, Adam Briskin-Limehouse, and Tom Abella, who made the Guide

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/239850/Red-Markets-Quickstart-Guide

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Noice.

I think i'll run a game for GammaCon.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Caleb's fictional book set in Red Markets "Performance" dropped for backers not too long ago. Here is a beginning snippet.

quote:

[T]he border between his survival and starvation was filament thin.

He dangled like a worm hooked by the debit card in his back pocket, and a thick, invisible line drew taut and shot up into the sky where it was held by God or the economy or yet another thing the Boomers had hosed up before they finally died. The line suspended him in the salvation of a convenient indifference above a pit looking to impersonally swallow him. The lifeline was no more than spider-silk. It could shift with a breeze or incautious breath. It was true now, even in the rarefied air of shift manager, that the line twitched like its masters were trying to lure something up from below to bite at him.

He kept his head down and did the work of three people for the pay of half of one.

Caleb is real good at writing!

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.
I'm about a third of the way through it and definitely agree. The first two chapters were suitably harrowing and it's not really letting up.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Caleb is doing an AMA on /rpg/ on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/rpg/comments/8i9x78/ama_with_caleb_stokes_creator_of_red_markets_may/

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
In his AMA Caleb was talking about setting hacks to the Red Market's Profit System.

quote:

I'd like to do other settings for RM, and I'll be mentioning a lot of the ones I think would work best when I do the Hacking the System Guide. I think XCOM could work, the Witcher would be great, and Stalker/Roadside Picnic would be perfect. But as for publishing something with the Profit System, I'm going to need to wait for an idea that says something unique, that I own the IP to, and that Profit is the best for conveying. I don't have that yet, so I'll work on something new instead.

Re: Witcher

quote:

Yeah. World's with magic don't work well with ideas of scarcity, especially exploited scarcity. However, in the Witcher video games at least magic was extremely limited in power in scope (at least by Witchers). Most of their powers come from exotic potions with rare ingredients, and Profit System can definitely do that.

The main thing I think would be cool about it is that it's essentially RM in a feudal setting. Witchers are hated, loathed, feared, and absolutely necessary. They are essentially classless outcasts that have to profit as much as possible when feudal society needs them because they will be exiled again the second they have preformed their function, and none of them chose that life for themselves. It would fit so well.

Anyone have setting hacks they are working on?

Moto42
Jul 14, 2006

I know I joked about it earlier, but I think the Profit system would work perfectly for the Oregon Trail RPG.

You get to pack a certain amount of resources at the start of the game and spend them carefully to navigate the dangers that pop up along the trail.
Conflicting spots create inter-family friction along the way.
How many ration charges are you spending for this leg of the journey? Ok, now roll to see if you avoid injury or illness.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

I've got an idea for a job from a LALA, but I don't think this character would actually have any money.
Good takers could push a job to 50+ bounty in negotiations.
Is it too much to have a client who can't pay on delivery, provided that info is available by discovering a Tough spot or pre-work action?

The job is seeking out a Numbers station, and load it up with conspiracy nuttery.

ThreeStep
Nov 5, 2009
If you wanted to, you could make the contract's complication that some of the the bounty is tied up in something other than cryptocurrency or ID cards and the crew has to take extra steps to cash it in. Like that one Fallen Flag contract with the eggs. Otherwise I'd just handwave it and the client has the bounty to needed to pay the Takers. If a crew finds out a client can't pay for the job, why go anywhere near the negotiating table?

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

If certain clients are sitting on mountains a bounty to go hand out to takers why don't they just get robbed?

Why wouldn't your scam action be to break into the clients house and take their stuff.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
Why not make it a LALA who has a lot of cryptocurrency instead of bounty? Many crypto bros are LALAs already. Or some other non-tangible/non-liquid assets that the takers want. IIRC crypto isn’t as valuable in the loss, but is in the recession so you could have the payment be 1:1 if they put it towards retirement and halve it if they need the bounty.

I once paid my takers in “online classes” and gave them a heap of bounty they could only spend on character advancements. They had to cover their overhead themselves, but they were fairly happy with it. There’s a lot you can do with barter.

Also if they are a LALA, they have some ultra-fortified nest with a shitload of guns and traps, that’s usually how they operate.

E: the LALA is sitting on this and nobody knows:

https://realdaily.com/7-of-cryptos-or-10b-worth-are-hoarded-in-vaults-by-the-wealthy/

Fellis fucked around with this message at 23:27 on May 21, 2018

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

You could also have an escrow system set up as a complication - but in the Loss that means traveling to a different enclave and negotiating with Warlord Bob that he should turn over that bounty to you.

In other Caleb Stokes news, he has a new game out on Kickstarter. Party Fowl is a fun board game with art by KC Green. It's obviously very different than Red Markets, but it's a good game and worth getting. Check it out here https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/159466030/party-fowl-the-game-of-drunk-ducks/

Moto42
Jul 14, 2006

Countdown to Red Markets/Party Fowl crossover expansion begins now.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

So vignettes...
Slipstream, you're sitting around a table with the football team come fencemen playing Party Fowl, the game of Drunk Ducks and lamenting all the keg parties you used to have at the frat. Self Control check.

SalmanBashi
Apr 4, 2007

Hello! Quick rules query: I've had a few reads of the relevant sections on damage but I can't find anything concrete on applying kill damage to a location that has both stun damage and some boxes free of damage. Would I be right in saying that the player can choose to, for example, put 3 kill damage over 3 existing boxes of stun damage (turning them into 3 boxes of kill damage) whilst having 7 boxes free of damage? But they could also take it as kill and have 3 boxes of stun and 3 boxes of kill though I'm not sure in what situations they'd want to do that.

I'm constructing a ruleset for Fantasy Grounds for my group to play since we're all spoiled by automation, and just need to check if I need to account for this choice in my current damage handling.

Aside from the usual skill checks/damage handling, is there anything in Red Markets that would benefit from automation? Not played the system yet so suggestions welcome.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

I know automating upkeep costs and profit would be very useful.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

I would say for the purposes of a fantasy grounds game, once all boxes in a location are filled up kill damage starts over writing stun damage.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

I've got a job idea where the enclave radio dispatcher is hiring takers for a vanity job to triangulate and investigate a numbers station in East Montana.
He's a conspiracy theorist and wants photos, live video and the truth.

What sort of truth is out there things could I have the takers find in E31 Seven.
Still broadcasting after five years in the loss.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Kommando posted:

I've got a job idea where the enclave radio dispatcher is hiring takers for a vanity job to triangulate and investigate a numbers station in East Montana.

What sort of truth is out there things could I have the takers find in E31 Seven.

Piss Tape, leading to some blackmail payments
True cause of outbreak
secret bunker enclave co-ordinates
foreign spies sussing out America for an opportunistic takeover
broken AI

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Wrestlepig posted:

Piss Tape, leading to some blackmail payments
True cause of outbreak
secret bunker enclave co-ordinates
foreign spies sussing out America for an opportunistic takeover
broken AI
I like the AI one, sorta thinking something like the first Brutalists game with the mind upload, but thats some especially Stokesian hosed up.

Foreign spies.. how about a bunch of dead Chinese commandos.

or worse... a bunch of live chinese commandos.

Also, on the leg home. Bigfoot.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
Government secrets stored on Laserdisc/Betamax/HD DVD

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Kommando posted:

Also, on the leg home. Bigfoot.

Aberrants that originate from a shag carpeting factory/warehouse.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

I used the -Rep spot "Fake news" against them in negotiation so the Takers have agreed to livestream the entire job (burn those batteries).

So they screw about walking all over doing triangulation. Chatting with conspiracy youtube commenters watching it live. Talk about chemtrails and the illuminati running the recession, theories about flouride in the water depressing immune systems leading to the blight taking over. that sort of poo poo.

As they approach the job site they come across four survivors, puffy jackets and beanies picking over some dead PRC commandos. The survivors are spooked and not a threat/challenge.
Their DHQS handler gives one of the takers a call. Do you take a DHQS phone call live on video?
The handler is watching their little camping trip and tells them they must collect info from these PRC guys. Those savangers, turn out their pockets, boss needs to know why theyre there and which unit theyre from. Shoot them if you have to. Do you do this live on video? Theres ten bounty in it for you.

they get to the job site, a brick box building with two 50m radio antennas and trees all around the fence. In the trees are casualties hung upside down, and buried in the ground, covered in frost, the air is very crisp.
there is a tinkling sound and peoples hair pricks and the fence itself shouts numbers, the transmitter is so strong its turned the fence into an antenna/speaker. the casualties all wake up and start thrashing and gnashing.
if they make it through the casualty perimeter they get to the box building and find signs of habitation.
Inside are four children, cold, hungry and scared. they tell a sad story about being left by their parents a while ago but the eldest has been successfully scavanging for them. They've got a bunch of bites on them, old.
It soon becomes obvious the four kids are immune.
Do you say this live on video?
What do you do? Live on video?
you know the DHQS are watching.

On the leg home I have them do an interlude, they see bigfoot on the trail. bigfoot gets away no matter what.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Kommando posted:

A different conspiracy theorist running that numbers station. The two think they're communicating in code but badly misunderstand each other, and have drastically opposed ideologies.

The numbers station lady will pay you with guns and ammo, having finally realized that she really does have too many. But you can't have any of her Bakker buckets.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Red Markets has been nominated for BEST GAME in the ENnie Awards so don't forget to vote!

http://www.ennie-awards.com/vote/2018/

Voting is live and runs until 11 PM EST on July 21st.

Moto42
Jul 14, 2006

I want Red Markets to win, but it's up against Delta Green.
I think this is a race for second.

Moto42 fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jul 23, 2018

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

What would you do if a Taker tries to shoot the client in a negotiation or scam?

An enclave NPC agitator offered a job.
The taker made a promise to their dependent to off this client.
they want to follow through with it.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kommando posted:

What would you do if a Taker tries to shoot the client in a negotiation or scam?

An enclave NPC agitator offered a job.
The taker made a promise to their dependent to off this client.
they want to follow through with it.

They gotta make drat sure they aren’t spotted or found out, otherwise the crew will have to choose between their jobs and livelihoods, and being accomplices to their murderer friend.

But really, as with all things, its up the to Crew to handle it, not the Market. As the Market, you just have to behave in a reasonable manner to the Crew’s actions. If they kill the person, the job is gone unless they have subordinates that also have the resources and will to continue. If it’s a near miss, the person will be suspicious of new people/beefed up security and negotiations will be harder. Maybe he just disappears and lays low for awhile. The crew should probably get a spot or three as rumors spread about them harboring a client-murderer that affects their pay for the next few jobs.

But the person who did the thing should be rewarded, that dependent should be satisfied for a good while, should get some compensation for the hit, get some contacts out of it, etc. The crew will have to determine what value they get from the taker or if they just turn him in.

Its very dependant on how in-character you group is on the “anything to get ahead, my own needs before others, capitialism bitches” themes. If they are more mercenary group it’ll go one way, if they are close knit, it’ll go another.

Fellis fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Jul 31, 2018

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

The player decided the Taker was making idle threats.

Now i have a job concept that takes place entirely within the home enclave.
A client has lost their ID, it was pickpocketed/stolen/accidentally used to pay for something and they want it back.

Its a classic mcguffin chase for a number one dime.

I've got two ways of running it, one is a parkour chase after a pickpocket through the enclave, giving a whirlwind tour of strange alleys and would work like an extended Engage vignette where you tie all the npcs and neighbourhoods together.
the other way is a gumshoe follow the money path where the takers question a myriad of npcs and vips to track a single bounty through the economic system, with shady dealings and awful exchanges.
the humanity damage is mostly detachment and financial stress damage as the takers learn more than they'd want to know about their neighbours and the idea that their true identity is also just as likely to be lost in the economic system. Theres also an element of sonder as all the faces on their bounty were people with lives and hopes and dreams, and worse, might still be real people.

The complication could be that the client was lying that their pocket was picked and theyre embarrassed that they spent their own ID on something shameful and theyre 'reversing the charges'.
It could also be a honeypot where the trail leads to a scammer, or loan shark the client is exacting financial revenge upon by having some takers 'audit' their books.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
This may have come up before and I just forgotten, but while I as at work today I started thinking about how twitter beefs must play out in the Loss since people can have access to their very own band of morally agnostic mercenaries after at worst a short walk down the block and some haggling.

Then that got me to thinking about a face character or possibly an entire taker crew that's basically the apocalyptic version of a twitch streamer to supplement their income. What would the Loss equivalent of getting swatted be? Also, stream sniping would take on some decidedly more dire connotations.

Mostly, I was just thinking about what affects the internet would have on the real world out in the loss, considering the kind of stuff that already happens today. How much more extreme would those things be when the internet is a for real life or death thing, and there's little in the way to temper peoples reactions to the things that happen online.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

girth brooks part 2 posted:

This may have come up before and I just forgotten, but while I as at work today I started thinking about how twitter beefs must play out in the Loss since people can have access to their very own band of morally agnostic mercenaries after at worst a short walk down the block and some haggling.

Then that got me to thinking about a face character or possibly an entire taker crew that's basically the apocalyptic version of a twitch streamer to supplement their income. What would the Loss equivalent of getting swatted be? Also, stream sniping would take on some decidedly more dire connotations.

Mostly, I was just thinking about what affects the internet would have on the real world out in the loss, considering the kind of stuff that already happens today. How much more extreme would those things be when the internet is a for real life or death thing, and there's little in the way to temper peoples reactions to the things that happen online.

I was literally in an RPPR patreon game that sorta dealt with that. We were hired by the livestreaming taker to deal with the people "swatting" her. Cue sniper battle

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
If anyone is looking for a Red Markets game or want to try out the system, I'm running a campaign on Discord/Roll20 and need a couple more players. We play at 1:00PM every Sunday but will be off this week.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

What time zone / how long are the sessions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
EST and we play for about 4 hours. The current campaign is set on the coast of Oregon and the takers have only done 1 job so far.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Sep 25, 2018

• Locked thread