Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
moonshine is......
Feb 21, 2007

It's fine? idgi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
didnt ask for it, doesnt do anything for me, qed

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

they've been burned before?

quickbooks forces an expensive update on them when they upgrade OSes

idunno most people are retarded op

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

it literally doesn't work on my computer, a 2009 macbook, because the boot camp drivers have not been updated. yet every time i boot into win7 to gently caress with visual studio or whatever I must live in fear of The Upgrade

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

and on my touchscreen tablet, the new interface is poo poo and windows 8.1 is real good. I've upgraded and reverted both

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

GameCube posted:

it literally doesn't work on my computer, a 2009 macbook, because the boot camp drivers have not been updated. yet every time i boot into win7 to gently caress with visual studio or whatever I must live in fear of The Upgrade

that's a pretty old computer to still be using

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
windows 10 is epic

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Smythe posted:

windows 10 is epic

like all 10 series operating systems.
windows and mac

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

didnt ask for it, doesnt do anything for me, qed
yep

burning swine
May 26, 2004

doesn't add any value over win7, has features that the :spergin:ier among us find repulsive (cortana, app store, forced updates)

all of this would be fine if it we could be left alone to yell at clouds and grumble in our basements, but noooooo, you've gotta upgrade!!

burning swine
May 26, 2004

also it's ugly as balls i mean seriously aero looks so much better, christ

moonshine is......
Feb 21, 2007

i'm never leaving 3.1 because everything after is garbage trash for idiots. -windows desktop users

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

also it's ugly as balls i mean seriously aero looks so much better, christ

lol no

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET
home users have ipads

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Triglav posted:

home users have ipads

the computer shop i worked at shut down 6 months after i left b/c ipad 2 came out and everybody stopped buying their grandmothers those loving terrible emachines dell pieces of poo poo

burning swine
May 26, 2004

the only thing I really don't understand is win8 users who refuse to upgrade to win10

win7, different story

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
the core architecture and SSD/flash memory loving tagteam murdered the home computer and i love it

burning swine
May 26, 2004

yeah they have, but the result is that when you need to really knuckle down and get some real computering done, the influence of these crappy portable/touch OSes has made the experience infinitely shittier :(

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

akadajet posted:

that's a pretty old computer to still be using

works fine as long as you decline the annoying attempts to force you onto an operating system that doesn't work on it

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

the only thing I really don't understand is win8 users who refuse to upgrade to win10

win7, different story

the touchscreen interface in windows 8.1 was actually good. then microsoft took direction from Internet Commenters and ripped it all out, so instead of smooth, usable Edge Gestures we have tiny loving buttons that are smaller than the fingertip with which they are purportedly meant to be pressed.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
theres a tablet mode to bring the 8.1 stuff back.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

windowsfag: "apple is for non-technical women and children. i'm a power user, i use windows. hurrrrrrrr"

microsoft: *replaces the brightness slider with a button that switches between five distinct Brightness Levels*

windowsfag: "My Computer Company has abandoned me. One Apple iPad Pro, please. And please responsibly dispose of this Surface 4; it is no longer of use to anybody."

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Shaggar posted:

theres a tablet mode to bring the 8.1 stuff back.

it brings none of it back; it just full-screens everything. prove me wrong, you bitch.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

i was wrong, actually - it's four Brightness Levels. lomarf.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

GameCube posted:

it brings none of it back; it just full-screens everything. prove me wrong, you bitch.

that's what windows 8 did.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Shaggar posted:

that's what windows 8 did.

charms. app-switching with edge gestures. The Brightness Slider. i can do this all day, bitch.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the brightness control still has sliders, but the power icon in the tray provides quick settings at predefined levels. (25%/50%/75%/100%)

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

i was hanging at my neighbor's place the other day and his mom called screaming about windows 10 being installed without her permission and that he has to fix it. it sounded like her world was ending.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

remember when windows 10 first came out and they said it was free for a limited time? still waiting for the deadline announcement on that. lomarf!

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Shaggar posted:

the brightness control still has sliders, but the power icon in the tray provides quick settings at predefined levels. (25%/50%/75%/100%)

hate to break it to you, but that's dumb as hell.

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

GameCube posted:

remember when windows 10 first came out and they said it was free for a limited time? still waiting for the deadline announcement on that. lomarf!

believe its in a month or two

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Triglav posted:

believe its in a month or two

cool so that's when they'll stop trying to make me upgrade to an operating system that doesn't work on my machine? glad to hear it

moonshine is......
Feb 21, 2007

GameCube posted:

windowsfag: "apple is for non-technical women and children. i'm a power user, i use windows. hurrrrrrrr"

microsoft: *replaces the brightness slider with a button that switches between five distinct Brightness Levels*

windowsfag: "My Computer Company has abandoned me. One Apple iPad Pro, please. And please responsibly dispose of this Surface 4; it is no longer of use to anybody."

why yes i am a power user did you see that i have a mod to use a gradient brightness slider. also a bunch of other theme poo poo, my cursor is a bee!

fake edit:
my brightness adjusts from 0% to 100% but i'm pissed because it's missing .5% increments. get your poo poo together microsoft this is a weak desktop os.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

the windows 8 Charms Bar: big, touchable buttons that provide what you need, when you need it - and stay out of your way when you don't.

the windows 10 Tablet Mode: buttons tinier than system tray icons, that stay on-screen constantly, wasting precious Screen Real Estate on my One Hundred Dollar Tablet.

any questions? yeah. didn't think so. idiot

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

two things i like about windows 10 over 7 are the rightclick start menu (from win8) and the setting to enable mousewheel scrolling of out of focus windows

everything else is meh to ugh

the unix stuff i heard theyre adding might be ok?

GameCube posted:

cool so that's when they'll stop trying to make me upgrade to an operating system that doesn't work on my machine? glad to hear it

no theyll still do it but tell u you have 30 days to pay

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

GameCube posted:

charms. app-switching with edge gestures. The Brightness Slider. i can do this all day, bitch.

charms were replaced with the action center which has settings u might want to change quickly and then the login/power stuff was moved back to the start menu where it belongs. 2 app switch swipe in from the left. for brightness just tap the button until it suits ur needs or change it in the more advanced power options.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

the windowsfag in denial: "an on-screen 'back' button that nobody will ever press because its behavior is completely unpredictable... yes. this is a good operating system."
woke windows 8.1 tablet power user: "yeah, gently caress off, microsoft. i'm good. t:cool:"

moonshine is......
Feb 21, 2007

ubuntu and microsoft, the best of the best joining forces to create an integrated cygwin is definitely going to be well, something.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I like windows 10 on all my computers especially my xps15 w/ 4k touch screen. turns out steve jobs was wrong about that but he died before he could correct his mistakes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moonshine is......
Feb 21, 2007

Empowering the gnu generation.

• Locked thread