Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Lime Tonics posted:

Why is it always elite no-scope 360 snipers, never seen a fake bomb disposal tech, or such it's always snipers. If you say you are a sniper in the military I automatically assume you're full of poo poo.

I have a friend who was infact, a scout sniper. He said for every day he got to shoot stuff he'd spend 2 years polishing floors, sitting through safety briefings and riding in the back of a cramped HMMV or LAV with no or nonfunctional climate control in the middle of the desert or learning how to call in air support.

Hell, dude says 9 times out of 10 they'd have him not shoot at anything and just keep an eye on it until air support obliterated it

Leave it to the military to find a way to make killing poo poo boring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

King of Bees posted:

Ugh. I'll never speak of this again.

People really don't get that JSOC is the definition of untouchable as far as the UCMJ and a whole lot of other poo poo is concerned

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Gray Matter posted:

Literally nobody in the history of the Navy has ever referred to the E4-E9 ranks as an NCO.

You're a liar.

Dude, I heard NCO/Chief used interchangeably all the time by sailors when I was on an LHD avoiding work like a proper Air Winger

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Captain Yossarian posted:

Wow cool Gip chat u guys should gently caress

Thats an unlawful order, Captain

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Roylicious posted:

Realtalk if you got an order to fire on US civilians would you do it?

I'm out now. So I guess it depends on how much they're paying me to do it.

But real answer: No, most people in any Westernized military don't have any desire to shoot something that isn't a paper target or an immediate danger to their own safety. Norwegian guy I'm buds with was surprised when he did a series of war games with US Marines a few years back and realized that there was very little culture difference between the active duty USMC infantry (most of which had been to Afghanistan recently) he was training with and his unit of mostly conscripts who were just waiting out the clock to be done with their obligated service time.

Reality is most people in are just there for the benefits and/or the steady job

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Professor Shark posted:

Tell that to those students

Most military members weren't even alive when Kent State went all Columbine. Plus, the National Guard got overhauled quietly afterwards and I'd say the likelihood of something similar going down would be exponentially smaller than the chances of a random mass shooting at said school. Just look at what the Natty G wasdoing during the St Louis riots recently, just putting out fires, picking up trash from protestors and standing around waiting for cops to tell them what was going on.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
Fact of the matter is, if the US military ever started shooting US citizens, it would most likely be drones popping milita-men in Idaho instead of minorities in Detroit

or US Citizens in Yemen, they HATE those guys

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

paul_soccer10 posted:

oh i didnt even finish reading your post sorry for mansplaining at you

If it had been womansplaining would it just have been a pinterest list for falafel and hummus recipes in his honor?

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Last Buffalo posted:

How much of the fact that the Military isn't super prepared to start killing civilians comes from the fact that most people in the military don't have a combat role as a job. I only ask this because I know a few infantry marines that would not shut up on facebook for the longest time about how much they'd like to "protect" Ferguson from the protesters.

Chances are they aren't or never were infantry and just had some idiotic POG job they are too ashamed to claim. We had guys in our unit fix up some helicopters for MARSOC and SEALS to use for training at the NTC and they wouldn't shut up how they were now MARSOC by proxy, when in reality they were our shittiest crew sent to do a job so easy they couldn't gently caress it up while everyone else took the weekend off.

They bought T-shirts and everything

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
I hope the cops catch the valor thief and return it to the rightful owner, a robotic airplane

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
Did you shoot black people or just loot their homes?

• Locked thread