Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Amberlyn
Jan 5, 2010
I'm looking after my daughter's cat for a while. I am not a cat person. I don't dislike them or anything, but I've only ever had dogs. We had cats when the kids were growing up (the ex liked them) but other than buying what they needed and paying the vet bills, I just left their care to my kids and the ex. Now though, I'm watching this cat for my kid, and I don't really know what I'm doing. I mean, I've got the litter box thing down, and I scoop it twice a day, and there's always fresh water and a full food bowl. She's not a glutton though, so I don't have to worry about regulating her food like I do my dogs who'd end up as balloons with legs if I left food out for them.

Here's the cat in question....meet Amelie.

She's sweet I guess, but she also is just way too friendly. Almost overbearing. Seems very needy. She always wants to sleep on my chest. I don't WANT her on my chest, so I gently move her, but dammit she just keeps coming back. Over and over and over again. And she does this thing with her paw where she reaches for my neck, and she does that over and over again too, no matter how often I move her paw. It wouldn't be too bad except she keeps pricking me with her claws, I'm not sure whether it's accidentally or on purpose. And when she finally gets tired of that, then she does this thing with her paws, I think it's called kneading? She presses down over and over again with each paw alternately. That wouldn't be so bad, except she does it with her claws out, or extended, or whatever the right term is. And it loving HURTS! But she seems SO contented when she does it, she's purring so loud I can barely hear the TV.

I don't know what to do with this loving cat. I really don't. Am I doing something wrong? Is she punishing me by clawing me and refusing to listen to me? Or are cats just naturally assholes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
This post reads like opposite day to me. That is the only type of cat I would have any interest in owning. It is a good cat.

Amberlyn
Jan 5, 2010

Slugworth posted:

This post reads like opposite day to me. That is the only type of cat I would have any interest in owning. It is a good cat.

Oh.

So, you like when your cat does this to you? This is acceptable cat behavior? It hurts though :( so do you just endure it?

I guess primarily I just wanted to make sure it wasn't something I needed to train out of her, like you would unacceptable behavior in a dog. Though it seems like cats can't really be trained. They just sort of...are.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Amberlyn posted:

Oh.

So, you like when your cat does this to you? This is acceptable cat behavior? It hurts though :( so do you just endure it?

I guess primarily I just wanted to make sure it wasn't something I needed to train out of her, like you would unacceptable behavior in a dog. Though it seems like cats can't really be trained. They just sort of...are.

The cat is doing this because they love you. Flexing their paws is something they would do while nursing so it's a very positive behavior.

How long will you be watching the cat? You could try getting them stuff to scratch like a sisal post or disposable cardboard that may help keep their claws shorter. You can trim cat claws but not every cat is a fan of that.

Ferryll
Sep 16, 2013

<3

Clip that cat's claws asap and enjoy the "making biscuits" without the pain!

Rhymes With Clue
Nov 18, 2010

It's possible she's just a very affectionate cat, and it's possible she's a needy cat because she misses your daughter. I have a cat like this, and he wasn't like this until we lost our other kitty a couple of years ago. He was affectionate, now he is clingy. He always wants to be on a lap.

So I recommend either trimming the claws yourself or this is something any vet can probably handle in five minutes. If you have the right kind of cat it's easy enough and if you have the wrong kind of cat--well, have the vet's assistant do it. Then sit back and enjoy your purr massage.

She's a gorgeous cat by the way. I loves me a black cat.

Amberlyn
Jan 5, 2010
She is pretty, thanks. Those green eyes are killer...I had no clue cats could have green eyes.

My daughter says that between the two of us we can trim her claws. I think we need to. She's started clawing at the carpet and ripping threads of it up. I got her one of those things that cats are supposed to claw on..the cardboard thing that Reik mentioned. She won't use it. :( She claws and scratches near it but not on it. I put catnip on it, sprinkled it liberally, but she still ignored it.

Isn't catnip supposed to be like crack for cats? Am I doing it wrong?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
My cat is just like this, except she always goes for my nipples

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Amberlyn posted:

She is pretty, thanks. Those green eyes are killer...I had no clue cats could have green eyes.

My daughter says that between the two of us we can trim her claws. I think we need to. She's started clawing at the carpet and ripping threads of it up. I got her one of those things that cats are supposed to claw on..the cardboard thing that Reik mentioned. She won't use it. :( She claws and scratches near it but not on it. I put catnip on it, sprinkled it liberally, but she still ignored it.

Isn't catnip supposed to be like crack for cats? Am I doing it wrong?

If it's the catnip that came with the cardboard thing, it might not be as potent as fresh catnip is since we don't know when it was bagged. Even fresh though, some of our cats don't care for it. Try moving it around or take it away for a day or two and bring it back. Cats love new things and investigating things that change. We have a set of toys we rotate through.

If you have furniture you need to protect from scratching you could try some of this stuff:

http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-Pet-Sticky-Furniture-Deterrent/dp/B0006NE4QC

Put it on things you don't want the cat to scratch and they'll learn what surfaces they enjoy scratching and which they don't. Once they've been redirected successfully you can remove the tape.

Rhymes With Clue posted:

It's possible she's just a very affectionate cat, and it's possible she's a needy cat because she misses your daughter. I have a cat like this, and he wasn't like this until we lost our other kitty a couple of years ago. He was affectionate, now he is clingy. He always wants to be on a lap.

So I recommend either trimming the claws yourself or this is something any vet can probably handle in five minutes. If you have the right kind of cat it's easy enough and if you have the wrong kind of cat--well, have the vet's assistant do it. Then sit back and enjoy your purr massage.

She's a gorgeous cat by the way. I loves me a black cat.

Seconding having a vet do it if the cat is freaking out at home. Our girl Tipper is a fighter at home, but she's a scaredy-cat at the vet and doesn't put up a fuss at all.

pandaid
Feb 9, 2004

RAWR
Not all cats react to catnip, so she could just be one of those. And different cats have different scratching personalities. Some want horizontal surfaces, some want vertical. Some like cardboard, some like carpet, some like sisal rope, some even wood. I try to stay away from carpet scratchers because I think they can get confused between that and regular carpet. The idea is make the scratcher more appealing than the non appropriate things like door trim and chairs. Putting a scratcher in every room is a good idea, because when they scratch are the putting down scent from their paws and it makes them feel safe. I had to show my cat how to use the cardboard scratcher by pretending to scratch it myself.

Trimming nails is a must, in my opinion. It keeps them from getting caught on things and makes it more pleasant for lap time. You can train most of them to tolerate it, by playing with the paws without nail clipping and trying to trim just one claw when they're sleepy and tolerant. two people make it must easier than just one. Make sure you read up about how not to hit the quick (the blood supply inside). I usually trim every 2-4 weeks.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Its just trying to figure out how best to rip your throat out when it grows tired of you. I recommend trimming its nails followed by many treats and head scratchings to appease it. (But echoing, dat is a good cat and it seems to really like you.)

Haji
Nov 15, 2005

Haj Paj
That's not scratching behavior. She's being SUPER affectionate. The reaching out and touching your neck thing is her letting you know she's totally relaxed and happy with you. The kneading thing is a left over nursing behavior. She probably also rubs her face on you and sometimes sort of wraps her tail around you a bit. She sounds like an amazing cat.

Also, you can definitely train cats and if that's your goal you're doing it right. Just pick them up and put them where you want them and be super consistent about it. We had cats and dogs and we had to feed the cats on the kitchen counter to keep the dogs away from their food. Which meant they had a designated corner of the counter away from everything else. The cats knew exactly where their spot was and left the rest of the counter alone. All we did was pick them up and put them on the right part of the counter anytime they were on the wrong part. That's it. Easy peasy. We had to clean the counters a lot until they got it down, but whatever.

One of our cats also learned to put her own toys away this way. Only she decided that she would rather store her toys with the dog toys instead of in the cat toy basket. She would also catch mice and then put them in any of the garbage cans around the house when she was done with them. I can't tell you how many times I ended up dumping live mice out of the garbage cans. If she was saving it to eat later it would end up in her food bowl. And the place she decided to play with her mice was the bathtub so they couldn't get away from her. That cat was a trip.

I also taught my cat to sleep next to my pillow since I didn't want to kick him in the middle of the night by accident. Same way. Pick up cat, put cat down where he should be instead.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.
What a cutie! I'm jealous! Such pretty eyes!

Just trim her claws and enjoy your time with such a good cat!

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Another option is taking her to a groomer, who will trim her claws for cheap plus show you how to do it in the future.

If you only have one scratcher, get another of a different kind. Some cats only like scratching on vertical surfaces, some only on horizontal. They also like different textures.

What color did you think cats' eyes were?

Haji
Nov 15, 2005

Haj Paj

Amberlyn posted:

This is acceptable cat behavior? It hurts though :( so do you just endure it?
It's a preference thing. I don't let my cats draw blood, but other than that, I don't care. If they draw blood, I gasp and put them down. Which is the universal signal of, you were too rough with me and now I'm going to ignore you until you can be nice. They figure it out. Might take a couple months. If the cat is actually hurting you, make a pain sound and then put the cat down and ignore it for a while. Just be really consistent. Training cats is entirely about consistency. Loud noises, spray bottles, hitting; none of that crap works. Being gentle and painfully consistent at all times will get your the furthest, the fastest.

Amberlyn
Jan 5, 2010

quote:

The reaching out and touching your neck thing is her letting you know she's totally relaxed and happy with you. The kneading thing is a left over nursing behavior. She probably also rubs her face on you and sometimes sort of wraps her tail around you a bit. She sounds like an amazing cat.

Yes!!! How'd you know? She pushes her face into my face repeatedly, purring loudly the whole time. And walks on me when I'm lying down in ways that make her tail snake around my face, or my ankles if I'm standing.

This cat behavior stuff is SO different than dog behavior which is what I'm familiar with. When she pushes her face into mine, I kind of felt like is was a thing, so I just sort of let her do it and wait not so patiently till she's finished.

quote:

What color did you think cats' eyes were?

Honestly I have never given it much thought. Just...dark, I guess. Are cats' eyes typically colors?

Haji
Nov 15, 2005

Haj Paj

Amberlyn posted:

Yes!!! How'd you know? She pushes her face into my face repeatedly, purring loudly the whole time. And walks on me when I'm lying down in ways that make her tail snake around my face, or my ankles if I'm standing.

I grew up around LOTS of different species of animals. My mom's cats (a siamese and her bobcat) used to sleep in my crib when I was an infant even. I worked on my grandma's ranch. I shadowed a veterinarian for 3 years while I was considering getting a DVM. I just know mammal behavior patterns. I used to tame ferals of pretty much any mammal species and rescued tons of injured animals, brought them back up to health and then released them. My grandma also used her ranch as a horse rescue. We took in tons of horses that were "dangerous". She'd set me and my cousins loose on them when we were kids. I've only actually met 2 horses that were dangerous out of the hundreds I've worked with. One just hated people and the other was a true sociopath. I used to have a colony of marmots that LOVED me. The alpha would sit in my lap and they'd all gather around me and lounge about. I had a flock of crows that would follow me everywhere I went when I was a kid. I used to play with wild skunks (was never sprayed). Have deer that adore me and visit frequently. I can and do "hug" wild geese (it's really funny - they make such a fuss at first and then they realize I'm holding food and then they're totally fine). I trained the iguana to come when called and do stupid tricks for me. My parents started taking me camping as soon as I was only a week old. Apparently, as soon as I reached my toddling age, I would pet and hug wild animals in the forest too. Scared the crap out of my dad when when I completely tamed a stag when I was only 3 (it's his favorite story to tell me, but I don't remember it at all).

Mostly, this is all observing animal behavior. If you watch animals long enough, you see how the act and react to different stimuli. You can send the "I'm not dangerous" signal to most animals by just acting totally relaxed and kinda sleepy (complete with full body language!). Most animals don't like being looked at or looked at directly. Some perceive you as a predator, some perceive you as challenging them.

From what you're describing, you are broadcasting the "I'm totally safe" message to the cat in spades. Laying down, not paying attention to the cat, when it does approach you and interact, you "tolerate" it and don't actively seek it out. Cat loves you. Cat doesn't have a choice. That cat will now follow you into hell and back. Friend for life. I imagine that the cat is utterly beside itself in pure joy when you do choose to pay it attention now. You may not be a "cat person", but for cats, you really are the ideal person to be around.

Amberlyn
Jan 5, 2010

Haji posted:

From what you're describing, you are broadcasting the "I'm totally safe" message to the cat in spades. Laying down, not paying attention to the cat, when it does approach you and interact, you "tolerate" it and don't actively seek it out. Cat loves you. Cat doesn't have a choice. That cat will now follow you into hell and back. Friend for life. I imagine that the cat is utterly beside itself in pure joy when you do choose to pay it attention now. You may not be a "cat person", but for cats, you really are the ideal person to be around.

Yeah, you're pretty much described my life with this cat at this point. I hadn't been able to figure out what the gently caress I did for the obvious adoration she's showing, but your descriptions cleared that up for me. Your life, by the way, sounds amazing!!!!

So now I'm all worried about how things will go when I don't have to look after her any more. I mean, this arrangement was set up to be temporary, till the repairs on the basement playroom area in my kid's house are finished. Her cats, including Amelie, mostly live down there, but this cat has been very disturbed by the work and started peeing and pooping outside the litter box. Hence her temporary new home with me.

Is she gonna adjust OK when I give her back?

Haji
Nov 15, 2005

Haj Paj

Amberlyn posted:

Yeah, you're pretty much described my life with this cat at this point. I hadn't been able to figure out what the gently caress I did for the obvious adoration she's showing, but your descriptions cleared that up for me. Your life, by the way, sounds amazing!!!!

So now I'm all worried about how things will go when I don't have to look after her any more. I mean, this arrangement was set up to be temporary, till the repairs on the basement playroom area in my kid's house are finished. Her cats, including Amelie, mostly live down there, but this cat has been very disturbed by the work and started peeing and pooping outside the litter box. Hence her temporary new home with me.

Is she gonna adjust OK when I give her back?

It'll most likely go one of two ways.
A. Cat will go back home and settle in fine and be all over you whenever you visit.
B. Cat will go back home and settle in fine but will now hate you and hiss or actively avoid you (since you abandoned it).
There are other options but the 2 I listed are most common and the 1st is what I would put money on.

She's going to be fine and she's lucky that she landed in such a good situation. You may not understand cat behavior, but you are actively doing everything that makes cats relaxed and comfortable.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Orrrr you could bond enough that you don't want to send her back to spend the rest of her life in a basement without a full-time heated human cushion.

Amberlyn posted:

Honestly I have never given it much thought. Just...dark, I guess. Are cats' eyes typically colors?
Yes!

What might be cool sometime is if you went to a shelter to pet ("socialize") random cats, so you can get a better impression of like the concept of cats. And also so you know what a prize you got.

Haji
Nov 15, 2005

Haj Paj
I taught cat behavior to my friend/exboyfriend and now his cat loves him so much that she actually guards him. She will almost always position herself between him and the front door and stare down the door. Apparently it's dangerous out there. That cat cracks me up.

She went from hiding and avoiding him to full on best cat ever. A little understanding goes a long way.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Amelie updates?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Man, I dunno about you, but cutting a cat's claws is not as easy as you guys make it sound. You have to pick the cat up and put it in your lap, then kinda turn them around and push out the claw. That's restraining the cat and messing with their claws at the same time. Doesn't that really piss cats off? Mine hates it when I have to cut his nails, and for good reason.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Start them young, use two people if possible, be fast, give them treats at the end. You can also use whatever position works for you. My parents' previous set of cats would be cradled on their backs like babies in my mom's arms while I trimmed. Their current cat is having none of that, but if he falls asleep next to you on the couch, you can do anything to his paws while he's asleep. You don't have to do them all at once, either. If yours gets pissy after two nails, you can do two nails at a time to get him used to it and avoid a bloody battle. But if nothing is working, there's no shame in taking them to a groomer either.

Haji
Nov 15, 2005

Haj Paj
After years of working with my vet, I mastered the cat burrito. 1 towel, 1 pissed off cat, 1 paw out at a time and the rest of cat + forces of destruction contained. Oh cat burrito. How I love you.

Rhymes With Clue
Nov 18, 2010

Some cats take to it, some don't. I think the advice to accustom them to it as kittens is pretty good, but I typically acquire cats when they're past kittenhood. So, when I had two cats, one of them was mellow. Catch him when he's napping (which is not at all hard) and you can do anything to him for a couple of minutes, so trimming his claws is over with before he wakes up. My other kitty, sadly deceased, took two people, a towel, and several minutes to get trimmed, and we still got scratched. She weighed 7 pounds. Very humbling that it took two full-sized adults to give her her pedicure. In fact we usually took her to the vet (although it also could take both of us to get her into her carrier).

Haji
Nov 15, 2005

Haj Paj

Rhymes With Clue posted:

Some cats take to it, some don't. I think the advice to accustom them to it as kittens is pretty good, but I typically acquire cats when they're past kittenhood. So, when I had two cats, one of them was mellow. Catch him when he's napping (which is not at all hard) and you can do anything to him for a couple of minutes, so trimming his claws is over with before he wakes up. My other kitty, sadly deceased, took two people, a towel, and several minutes to get trimmed, and we still got scratched. She weighed 7 pounds. Very humbling that it took two full-sized adults to give her her pedicure. In fact we usually took her to the vet (although it also could take both of us to get her into her carrier).

There was this one cat that this lady would bring into the vet office all the time. It's like she was a hypochondriac for her freaking cat. Saw that poor thing monthly. Every time we saw it, we'd do blood draw too. That cat HATED us. That is how I learned the cat burrito. This tiny furball of pure hatred and anger. I know the cat burrito very well now. That cat took 2 to 3 people every visit. Nail clipping and blood draws every time. It was a full on terror machine. Can't blame the poor thing though. It's owner was full on crazy pants. I still flinch when I hear angry cat sounds and that was about 25 years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miss Bean
Jun 5, 2005

Don't spill the beans!!
Both of our cats are thankfully great about having their claws trimmed. I'll accept the grudging compliance as opposed to a whirling ball of teeth and claws. We have conditioned them both to expect treats if they put up with the indignity, so I usually hold the victim while my husband trims. Afterwards, they circle and cry pathetically until they get their treats.

• Locked thread