Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
Problem description: As of ~3 days ago, opening pages on my browser randomly fails to connect. In Chrome, the error displayed is ERR_CONNECTION_RESET. In Edge, it's even more useless ("Hmm, we can't reach this page"). Spamming refresh usually clears it up after a few attempts and it'll keep working as long as I keep browsing/loading new content. Ongoing connections (i.e.: streaming Netflix, Google Music, Spotify) don't get interrupted while this is happening, and the website's domains still respond to pings while they fail to load in a browser. A tracert also does reach the domain.

This seems to happen on certain domains more than others, with SA and certain Google subdomains (Google Music, Google Hangouts, YouTube) being the worst offenders. While it's happening on one domain, another might work fine. It seems to only affect HTTP connections. While it's happening, trying to load the same website in an Incognito window does seem to help temporarily, then it has the same issue after some inactivity.

It's also worth noting that my router is a gentoo Linux gateway, with a simple set of iptables rules to get DNAT working and act as firewall. While I don't have an X server on this gateway, I can use links to load failing websites while it's happening on my desktop PC.

Attempted fixes:
-Factory reset cable modem.
-Rebooted Linux gateway.
-Tried different DNS servers. (Google, ISP, followed by ipconfig /flushdns)
-Cleared Chrome browsing data.
-Disabled all Chrome plugins.
-Reinstalled Chrome.
-Ran MalwareBytes, Windows Defender.
-Tried the steps here: https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/113910?hl=en

Recent changes:
-Verified that no recent Windows Updates might've caused this (most recent one is 2016-06-13, which seems a bit old)
-No recent updates to Linux gateway

--

Operating system: Windows 10.0.10586

System specs:
Gigabyte P55-USB3
Intel Core i7-875K
8GB RAM
Wired connection

:quebec:

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

I'm going to try a different computer when my partner gets home. I'm 95% certain this is an issue specific to my PC, but I'm at a loss as to where to troubleshoot next since this doesn't seem to be a simple connection/routing problem.

e: Bah, I lost the tag I'd set after having to spam refresh in order to get the post page to load again. Sorry, it was SysAdmin. :(

Jan fucked around with this message at 21:36 on May 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Can you confirm what motherboard you have? You said Asus but that's a Gigabyte model. Either way, install the latest network adapter drivers from the adapter manufacturer's webpage.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Alereon posted:

Can you confirm what motherboard you have? You said Asus but that's a Gigabyte model. Either way, install the latest network adapter drivers from the adapter manufacturer's webpage.

You're right -- I edited my post to reflect that.

Going to try drivers -- that could be a problem, considering I had to install Windows 7 drivers on top of the built-in ones early on to get wakeonlan to work. The stock Windows 10 ones had broken that back then. Just strange that it'd act up now, but computers, man. :v:

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
That actually is a known-issue with certain versions of the Realtek Ethernet drivers for Windows 7, weird it would just start happening but Realtek adapters are very problematic.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

No dice on the drivers. I fiddled with the advanced NIC properties, too, disabled any option that sounded "green" or otherwise might put the NIC to sleep.

I'm starting to think my motherboard might just be showing its age. I have been putting off upgrading for basically 2 years now. :toot:

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I'd probably try connecting the computer directly to the modem temporarily just to rule the gateway out completely. Even if the issue isn't readily showing up on other devices.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Zogo posted:

I'd probably try connecting the computer directly to the modem temporarily just to rule the gateway out completely. Even if the issue isn't readily showing up on other devices.

Yeah, I vaguely remembered direct connection working fine when I was rebooting the gateway to faff around with some settings... I just tried it for a few minutes and it seems to work fine. :suicide:

So, ugh. Something changed in between gateway + desktop computer that makes the latter seemingly hate actually connecting to things. There used to be a time when I'd enjoy diagnosing this, now I'm just wondering where to even begin. What are some tools to start with that might be higher level than sniffing packets with wireshark?

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Jan posted:

Yeah, I vaguely remembered direct connection working fine when I was rebooting the gateway to faff around with some settings... I just tried it for a few minutes and it seems to work fine. :suicide:

So, ugh. Something changed in between gateway + desktop computer that makes the latter seemingly hate actually connecting to things. There used to be a time when I'd enjoy diagnosing this, now I'm just wondering where to even begin. What are some tools to start with that might be higher level than sniffing packets with wireshark?

It's been awhile since I've done anything with Linux firewalls etc. I'd make sure you were using the latest version of Gentoo at least. And then I'd go through all the gateway settings to see if anything was amiss.

From your posts your network topology isn't very clear. Does the gateway have a lot of NICs or just a couple? If it had many you could try a different port.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

My basic iptables rules have been the same for essentially 10 years now, the only thing that ever changes is what ports get opened or forwarded... I'll compare with a recent iptables HOWTO and see if it's similar.

Zogo posted:

From your posts your network topology isn't very clear. Does the gateway have a lot of NICs or just a couple? If it had many you could try a different port.

It goes: Cable modem -> Gateway NIC 1 -> (DNAT/iptables) -> Gateway NIC 2 -> Wireless router passively acting as switch -> Computer. So that doesn't leave me with an available NIC unless I just try swapping both...

I did try changing all cables involved and a different router port to no avail. I'll try getting a PCIe NIC for the desktop, I suppose.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Jan posted:

It goes: Cable modem -> Gateway NIC 1 -> (DNAT/iptables) -> Gateway NIC 2 -> Wireless router passively acting as switch -> Computer. So that doesn't leave me with an available NIC unless I just try swapping both...

Have you tried modem -> gateway -> computer and removed the wireless router?

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

I didn't -- I thought I needed crossover cables but I guess NICs have been smart enough to do that for decades. :downs:

Sadly doesn't help -- but it did give me an idea: I just plugged in my Nexus 5X as a USB tether and disabled the wired connection. When the 5X is connected through Wifi (i.e.: through the gateway), the problem persists. When disabling Wifi and using data instead, it works fine.

Workstation -> Cable Modem: OK
Workstation -> Data/LTE: OK
Worktation -> Gateway -> Cable Modem: Fail.

Narrowing it down...

e: Doesn't seem to be iptables -- issue occurs with all rules set to ACCEPT.

Jan fucked around with this message at 20:11 on May 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Another lightbulb and odd discovery today -- I tried a SSH SOCKS proxy through my gateway (ssh -D) and connecting through that instead. The problem also goes away.

:wtc:

• Locked thread