Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer
i make sure not to have too many apps open it helps longer battery life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

It's because they want you to have to buy a new phone instead of paying to repair the phone you broke. They don't want you to just keep the same phone for 10 years like you could with those flip phones.

Eh, yes and no. there isn't some grand tinfoil conspiracy, but there are probably intentional design decisions: primarily to reduce manufacturing cost while secondary benefit is to make it easy to gently caress up/hard to fix problems. and it wouldn't be impossible to make components like batteries easier to replace or phones some level of water-proofing up to a small amount of pressure as well.

But yeah I had a samsung dumb phone since like 2004 and that thing was a loving tank. I probably dropped it so many times from pretty high up onto concrete and in water and that thing kept going. I only "upgraded" because my boss wanted me to be basically be always on 24/7 and able to read his stupid emails while i'm working out in the field, so work bought me an iphone 6s and put it on the company plan so being a hold out worked in my favor :toot:

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Y'know when we had clamshell phones you could snap 'em shut and drop 'em on the ground in the parking lot and they wouldn't get all hosed up and cracked and require $100 to fix, they'd just hit the ground and not lose any functionality at all.

Then again, the touchscreen works fine even with a million cracks so I guess maybe this is better after all

I agree with Xaris that this is fuckery. Why? The smooth glass corners = break points. The glass is very strong in all other instances and is hard to gently caress up, but I recently went through replacement hell when I dropped my phone literally 5" (inches, not feet, that is not a typo) and it shattered like i hit it with a sledge because of the amazing obliteration-corners.

There's got to be a way to shield the corners with something that's not glass or re-enforce them, but it's a racket that brings them millions. The more you upgrade the more you extend the contract on your cell phone soul if you're with a big carrier and warranty uses do not come cheap.

PS: gently caress Motorola support now and forever, every call of serious importance turns into "Try to get through their Indian call center before 4PM Central when the US Department says gently caress it heads home, since they are the only ones that can do anything not on the script." It's shitastic.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 23:19 on May 29, 2016

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Grant DaNasty posted:

Why don't they just make the outer phone casing out of the same poo poo they use to make Otter Boxes?

You don't buy a car and then have go out and shop for bumpers and air bags for it afterwards.

People have been sold on the idea that phones should be as thin as possible. Which sucks. A wafer thin phone is no easier to hold than one twice as thick, and they sacrifice a bigger battery and durable case to get it that thin.

Anyway, I got one of these for my phone: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00YB1PIY2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Could it be any uglier? I don't think so. It has a silicon cover and a plastic cover over that to redistribute force and stuff. It also has a removable faceplate cover with a belt clip, but I don't use that.

Yep. My dirt cheap Moto e is pretty well protected. :smug:

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
You can make a phone out of simple items like recycled pallets and a raspberry pi and a hand mirror.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

The Pony Incident posted:

has anyone else literally never broken their phone? and kind of looks down on all the people who have broken it like a ton of times or currently have a phone that is broken?

Every waking moment

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw phones

us vs also us
Jul 8, 2007

Hello! I hope you are having a nice day!

TontoCorazon posted:

Every waking moment

Like is it that hard to not break your phone lol. All I'm gonna say on the subject

us vs also us
Jul 8, 2007

Maybe don't throw your phones? Also try to avoid stepping on them

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Facebook Aunt posted:

People have been sold on the idea that phones should be as thin as possible. Which sucks. A wafer thin phone is no easier to hold than one twice as thick, and they sacrifice a bigger battery and durable case to get it that thin.

Anyway, I got one of these for my phone: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00YB1PIY2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Could it be any uglier? I don't think so. It has a silicon cover and a plastic cover over that to redistribute force and stuff. It also has a removable faceplate cover with a belt clip, but I don't use that.

This is why my giant glass phone doesn't have a case at all. The whole reason I bought the phone I have is because it's visually appealing and so thin that it cheats the wind. Why would I want to attach more ugly body cladding than a Pontiac to it?

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Like is it that hard to not break your phone lol. All I'm gonna say on the subject

I mostly look down on iphone users for having a pinata for a phone.

us vs also us
Jul 8, 2007

I-I'm running out of advice for all you phone breakers out there. Um- don't use your phone as a wedge to pry open something stuck ? Also don't use it as a thing to put under a table leg to make it slightly higher.

us vs also us
Jul 8, 2007

*to the tune of Electric Ave.* I'm gonna put this phone under that table leg, to make it slightly higher

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Don't let idiot women get mad at you cause the first thing they do is spike your phone like they just scored a touchdown at the superbowl.

us vs also us
Jul 8, 2007

TontoCorazon posted:

Don't let idiot women get mad at you cause the first thing they do is spike your phone like they just scored a touchdown at the superbowl.

Guess that would explain why my phone isn't broken ;) PM me

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
I wonder if Naomi Campbell has taken to throwing other things at her household staff now that cell phones are so expensive.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

TontoCorazon posted:

I mostly look down on iphone users for having a pinata for a phone.

Iphones are full of candy?

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Facebook Aunt posted:

I loving hate this

God forbid we use the advances in miniaturization to make better phones in the old profile, gotta make fragile pieces of poo poo that bend in your pocket so poors can watch youtube on them

us vs also us
Jul 8, 2007

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

I loving hate this

God forbid we use the advances in miniaturization to make better phones in the old profile, gotta make fragile pieces of poo poo that bend in your pocket so poors can watch youtube on them

I'm gonna look through the smiley list so I can post that one where it makes your post look like a goon is saying it haha brb

us vs also us
Jul 8, 2007

gently caress I CANT... FUCKIN FIND IT!!!!

subhuman filth
Nov 1, 2006

Why would a male buy an Iphone.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

subhuman filth posted:

Why would a male buy an Iphone.

You're confusing male and sexually active person who goes outdoors again. By which I mean I have sex with my phone device in parks.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

has anyone else literally never broken their phone? and kind of looks down on all the people who have broken it like a ton of times or currently have a phone that is broken?

Yeah

I have a Galaxy S6 Edge and it has a completely useless curved screen that makes the edges really thin, it really seems like absolutely no attention was paid to how easy it is to drop this thing. I don't even use the case because it could fall, I use it because it makes it possible to hold onto the drat thing. It's a shame.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

yeah i hate my cell phone and everyone who is addicted to them, my middle of the road option is to use the same one for 4 years at a time without ever throwing it in a river or whatever other american's seem to do yearly

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
I just want genuine buttons again. gently caress this swiping and sliding crap, I need something that actually provides feedback to my brain.

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

Good luck getting someone who owned an old school Nokia to shut the gently caress up about how tough their phone was.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

gently caress I CANT... FUCKIN FIND IT!!!!

What kind of idiot doesn't have every smilie memorized? It's goon say. :goonsay:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Skeleton Ape posted:

Good luck getting someone who owned an old school Nokia to shut the gently caress up about how tough their phone was.

Objectively superior hardware deserves to be talked about and even bragged about if it is so far-and-away better as that

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

I had one and it was good for about two years, but then one day it crashed or something and then every time I restarted it would just have a single horizonal line across the screen :dance:

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer
another fun thing you can do is to set songs as ringtones for your friends and family. pick a song that says something about thier personality or encapsulates how you feel about them. Sometimes you can just pick a song that is about the persons name such as "Brandi, you're a fine girl" by Looking Glass.

Have fun with your phones and be safe out there! :keke:

Have Blue
Mar 27, 2013

Panther Like a Panther
It took flipping an atv hooning around to even slightly bend my phone (htc m9) and it still looks/works fine, just looks like one corner is pulling away. Lol if you're some bumbling infomercial klutz that actually manages to break your phone during daily use. If you are, look into the s6 active which is p much indestructible.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Facebook Aunt posted:

im the series of thick chinese plastic bits that render you unable to use the heart rate monitor app that could save your life

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer
did you know there is an app for your phone that allows it to act as a flashlight? It's great for when you drop your keys in the dark or need to read something in bad lighting conditions.

Have Blue
Mar 27, 2013

Panther Like a Panther

JiveHonky posted:

did you know there is an app for your phone that allows it to act as a flashlight? It's great for when you drop your keys in the dark or need to read something in bad lighting conditions.

What of you drop your phone in the dark???

cnut
May 3, 2016

My phone is made of tin and string. Only dents! LOL!

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

i recently broke my first one ever by dropping my iphone 6 from a sitting position onto a perfectly flat and smooth surface and the screen just happened to crakk. i think that's what happened at least. fuckin xanax is a bitch. sometimes you just get unlucky i guess ive dropped the phone way worse and it had a case although not a great one

wit
Jul 26, 2011
I identify as a broken phone with a big glass screen btw.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum

I don't get how people can break their phones and just keep using them for months with giant spiderweb cracks in them. OK, technically I get why they do it, but it just makes me glad I'm not a poor. I've never cracked a screen, but if I didn't I'd be getting a replacement ASAP.

us vs also us
Jul 8, 2007

I would like to distance myself from this poor-hating scum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

us vs also us
Jul 8, 2007

JiveHonky posted:

another fun thing you can do is to set songs as ringtones for your friends and family. pick a song that says something about thier personality or encapsulates how you feel about them. Sometimes you can just pick a song that is about the persons name such as "Brandi, you're a fine girl" by Looking Glass.

Have fun with your phones and be safe out there! :keke:

good loving poo poo. need more high quality advice and suggestions like these. Even gave a specific song example god drat.

• Locked thread