Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

MonoAus posted:

Give it another week, we'll soon forget.

Forget what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/ellencoulter/status/737810543235371009

MonoAus
Nov 5, 2012

hooman posted:

Forget what?

The libs aren't good for us.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

MonoAus posted:

The libs aren't good for us.

Oh right.....

wait, forget what?

MonoAus
Nov 5, 2012
Ah :thejoke:

Take pity on me, I'm West Australian.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

MonoAus posted:

Ah :thejoke:

Take pity on me, I'm West Australian.

No worries, you are two hours and ten years behind the rest of Australia :v:

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

You Am I posted:

No worries, you are two hours and ten years behind the rest of Australia :v:

Still 20 years ahead of Queensland.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbgShiaal6E

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

They should at least have a ranger but a sniper loadout seems a bit extreme. A pistol with all the perk ranks in gunslinger and quick draw would do.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

iajanus posted:

Still 20 years ahead of Queensland.

We already did!

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Fight fire with fire fight fur with fur. maremmas at every beach

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZJwWDmclSk

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Arm all penguins with pistols.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

hooman posted:

Arm all penguins with pistols.

Pretty sure they shoot well enough already

:smug:

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Birdstrike posted:

NOICE

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Birdstrike posted:

NoIcE

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

How the hell did Australia manage to vote a Trump-esque dickhead like Tony Abbot into Premiership anyways? Are things that bad down under compared to here? Have there been worse PMs before?

Just to check, is it basically impossible to watch anything on youtube because of the draconian internet laws?

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Grouchio posted:

How the hell did Australia manage to vote a Trump-esque dickhead like Tony Abbot into Premiership anyways? Are things that bad down under compared to here? Have there been worse PMs before?

Just to check, is it basically impossible to watch anything on youtube because of the draconian internet laws?

The media here is massively in the tank for the Liberal party except for the two or three left wing papers we have which simply give both parties equal time because they're terrified of being called bias. So if Labor aren't on their A-game, whoever is in charge of the Liberal party (our right-wing party) has a huge advantage. Labor were seriously not on their A-game in the last election. Abbott happened to be in charge.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Starshark posted:

The media here is massively in the tank for the Liberal party except for the two or three left wing papers we have which simply give both parties equal time because they're terrified of being called bias. So if Labor aren't on their A-game, whoever is in charge of the Liberal party (our right-wing party) has a huge advantage. Labor were seriously not on their A-game in the last election. Abbott happened to be in charge.
You mates seriously need state media reforms around so the press can actually have differing opinions for once. Talk about poo poo luck with that Tony short stick.
Are there no internet demonstrations and underground stuff trying to call the media out on this poo poo or what? Who watches the watchmen after all.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Grouchio posted:

How the hell did Australia manage to vote a Trump-esque dickhead like Tony Abbot.

What about Tones do you find to be comparable to Trump?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

60 Minutes review will say producer sacked over 'terrible misjudgments'
Internal Channel Nine review alleges Stephen Rice made a litany of mistakes, including failing to spot a CCTV camera at the location of the planned abduction

:allears:

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Journalist: But what if the Commission though says we should cut penalty rates. Will you accept that decision?

Shorten: They aren’t going to.

Journalist: But what if it does?

Shorten: Well, sorry — what if alien life makes contact with Earth?

Shorten is so sassy these days I kinda like it.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Zenithe posted:

What about Tones do you find to be comparable to Trump?
A neo-fascist poo poo-spewer with high levels of international infamy whose actions are set to embarrass his country for a long time as a global laughingstock?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3IaKVmkXuk

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Grouchio posted:

You mates seriously need state media reforms around so the press can actually have differing opinions for once. Talk about poo poo luck with that Tony short stick.

The last government (Gillard, not Abbott) tried, and the papers responded by literally photoshopping the communications minister's face onto a picture of Mussolini and comparing him to the Nazis.

Yeeeeeah.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Grouchio posted:

Are there no internet demonstrations and underground stuff trying to call the media out on this poo poo or what? Who watches the watchmen after all.

We have the ABC, which is one of the most trusted sources of news in the country, and its state based. Which is why the LNP try to gut it at every chance. They have a thing where they have to be neutral though, so every centrist ALP members has to be balanced by a cockhead tory. The LNP has this big witchhunt every so often and they accuse the ABC of leftwing bias, which inevitably fizzles out when the reports come back, again, about how neutral they are.

There is a senator for the greens who raises internet based questions a whole bunch, and has been doing cryptoparties round the nation, showing people how easy it is to dodge the data retention laws.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Grouchio posted:

Abbott got in because the previous government had a massive internal fight that lasted several years. Abbott and Trump are nothing alike, and anything you read that tries to push the comparison is worthless.

Things are okay, but it's hard to think of areas the current government isn't loving up to one extent or another. There have been worse PMs than Abbott (but not for decades), and the jury is still out on Turnbull ( it he's an improvement unless you are a right wing nutter).

The only issue with watching stuff on YouTube are a few geoblocked things.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The only issue with watching stuff on YouTube are a few geoblocked things.

Aren't the internet speeds there notoriously strangled by national law?

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Grouchio posted:

A neo-fascist poo poo-spewer with high levels of international infamy whose actions are set to embarrass his country for a long time as a global laughingstock?

I just feel they are two very different types of total idiots.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Grouchio posted:

It's an infrastructure issue, and the program to fix it (the NBN) is one of the major points of debate over the last few years.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Grouchio posted:

Sort of. The internet speeds are strangled because the biggest telco, Telstra, had a monopoly on the communication infrastructure for a very long time, and had no reason to upgrade its copper pipes. Then the previous ALP government came along and said "This poo poo is hosed, we are going to build a fibre to the home network which will last for the foreseeable future". The LNP came along and said "No, thats going to be too expensive, we can build fibre to the node, and then use copper for the last run, and that will save money and time". The LNP won the election, took over the network and proceeded to gently caress it good and proper. Telstra, on the assumption that it was going to lose its copper network, did exactly zero maintenance beyond using duct tape and hope to keep it running for a few extra years and now thats what the LNP bought off them and are hoping to use to deliver poo poo internet speeds with.

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

I have nothing of value to contribute
Ham Wrangler

Zenithe posted:

I just feel they are two very different types of total idiots.

Abbott would draw a lot of parallels with any straight line and religious representative or senator of the Republican Party. More religious than John McCain but less religious than Huckabee. I think Bush II would be an apt comparison but I also lack imagination. He's not as belligerent and actively subversive as Ted Cruz but he's also more aggressive than Marco Rubio and Jeb Bush so I'm struggling to compare him to any currently running Republican.

E: I see the word filter is still in effect...

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Frogmanv2 posted:

Telstra, on the assumption that it was going to lose its copper network, did exactly zero maintenance beyond using duct tape and hope to keep it running for a few extra years and now thats what the LNP bought off them and are hoping to use to deliver poo poo internet speeds with.
This differs in no way to what was done before the NBN was even a thing.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
The big issue with Australia's infrastructure is that we had a national telephone and (just starting) broadband provider, who all things considered did a pretty good job given their mandage was "Make sure all Australians have access to a phone, even if they live in Outer Bumfucksville, Nowhere". The government then decided that selling off this profitable provider was a good idea and also handing them all the infrastructure (rather than just privatising the resale wing and keeping the infrastructure nationalised) while simultaneously handing them the requirement to provide service to literally every person in our enormous hugely spread out country.

Trapped between the requirement to service everyone and the requirement to produce profit Telstra became a huge pile of poo poo because they did no maintenance and didn't bother to upgrade anything and even installed super subpar tech which throttled the hell out of internet speeds (which they also made deals with new developments so Telstra was the only provider they could use!).

The government then decided to build a national broadband network to replace all the hosed copper wire in asbesdos filled pits that our current broadband chugs over except the government changed half way through and decided that instead of new infrastructure we should keep using all the old hosed infrastructure and bought it all back off telstra for fuckloads of money basically spending a massive amount of money for negligable benefit to any consumer. So now our original broken infrastructure that we privatised in order to hand out tax cuts during a mining boom has been bought back 20 years later and 20 years more degraded instead of the planned fibre to the premises rollout.

That's kind of the summary of why our internet is so poo poo.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Santorum maybe?

Abbott is fundamentally an establishment man. He left the seminary because he liked the institution of the church but felt it spent too much time helping people. He's a hardcore monarchist half a world and half a century away from it being a mainstream position. You can make superficial comparisons to Trump (like the way they talk about their daughters) but their life story, personality and ideology are intrinsically different.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

quote:

Liberal supporters refusing to donate over super changes
The Turnbull Government's superannuation policy has upset its base so much that Liberal MPs say some supporters are refusing to donate to the Coalition's election campaign.

As my colleague Eliza Borrello reports, the Government's May budget outlined a $1.6 million cap on the amount of money that can be held in a tax free retirement phase account by people 60 and over.

Under the plan anything beyond $1.6 million has to go into a separate account, with earnings to be taxed at 15 per cent. The budget also outlines a plan to introduce a $500,000 lifetime cap on after tax superannuation contributions, back dated to 2007.

Both policies have upset the Liberal base, with many seeing the $500 000 lifetime cap as retrospectively punishing people who made contributions in line with the rules at the time.

WA MP Ian Goodenough told the ABC that he and several other Liberal MPs plan to raise the concerns in the party room after the election.

quote:

I have received a volume of correspondence from constituents objecting to the changes, it is a significant issue in this election, however the dilemma is to identify another area of revenue to target given the constraints with the budget situation.

Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull says the changes will make the system fairer.

Whoa! After the election! This guy has balls, make sure he gets your vote.

hawaiian_robot
Dec 5, 2006

And I'm happy just to sit here,
At a table with old friends.
And see which one of us can tell the biggest lies

I guess Chicken Parmigiana is wrong, because reasons?

Also: http://www.greenliberaldeal.com.au :qq:

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

You Am I posted:

Another poo poo month in a bullshit country whose mindless fuckwits will vote the Liberals back in next month because they are completed hosed in the head.

Maybe, and this is just a guess, if Labor's leadership ranks weren't amoral scumbag lawyers who do hostile takeovers of small unions to become players and instead were actually representing the majority of Australians then the general public might vote for somebody who isn't a complete rightwing shitlord. As it is you have a choice of rightwing shitlords in the rightwing shitlord party, rightwing shitlords in the notionally leftwing party, anti-science lunatics who hate organised sport and vaccinations but coast by on inner city melbourne being filled to the brim with middle class pearl clutchers and an assorted batch of insane or pointless independants. Its another election voting for the sting-ray that got steve.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Byolante posted:

anti-science lunatics who hate organised sport and vaccinations but coast by on inner city melbourne being filled to the brim with middle class pearl clutchers

fun fact, this group is actually the most likely to listen to scientists, and is the least ideologue party around.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Abbott was bad but he's not a Trump. Donald is like 17 Abbotts.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
Off-topic but how did the internet discover the phrase 'pearl clutchers'? Six months ago it's no-where to be seen and now it's everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Serrath posted:

Abbott would draw a lot of parallels with any straight line and religious representative or senator of the Republican Party. More religious than John McCain but less religious than Huckabee. I think Bush II would be an apt comparison but I also lack imagination. He's not as belligerent and actively subversive as Ted Cruz but he's also more aggressive than Marco Rubio and Jeb Bush so I'm struggling to compare him to any currently running Republican.

E: I see the word filter is still in effect...

I think Cruz is a good analogue. Lies as easily as breathing. Made his name in politics by just saying No! to the opposition (and to any weak-kneed politicians on his own side). Is actually quite smart but plays the demagogue, is completely self-centered and narcissistic and simply cannot fathom how anyone could be better as leader than him. Plays up the religious angle when it suits but would drop it in a heartbeat if it would get him more votes, - could go on and on.

• Locked thread