Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Nastier Nate posted:

I think Mel B is an ok judge, Howie is hit or miss, especially when he latches on to some really garbage acts as previously mentioned.

Simon Cowell has definitely gotten alot more polite since the 1st season of American Idol, I think having a kid softened him up.

Yeah his soft spot for kid acts is obvious.

He's called more than one the next (popular artist).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Super sad that the dancing dog didn't go through. Poor pup. :(

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Sorry about the dog cute thread. Maybe next year?

Last judge cuts is on. Louis of One Direction is the guest judge. Expect fangirling.

Also, the singers with sob stories just keep crawling out of the woodwork. AND gently caress YOU BOY BAND GUY

Going to watch Fool Us, enjoy this trash.

RAGE EDIT: Or I would, if I was watching during the right hour! Is nothing right in this world.

somekindofguy fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jul 21, 2016

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Why does Heidi keep doing hand binoculars? She does it literally every act, her mannerisms are so annoying.

E: Also we mute the tv whenever Howie talks. Basically Simon is the one good judge and Mel is cute enough to get by.

xov
Nov 14, 2005

DNA Ts. Rednum or F. Raf

somekindofguy posted:

Did they really have to finish on the creep guy? It's nice he got the room silent, and it wasn't bad, but the Radiohead fan in me isn't blown away. Now if he did No Surprises...

I look forward to this guy stealing several spots from the more interesting act, though I'll see if he gets more interesting.

I'm not a Radiohead fan either, but I'm a sucker for voices that are so on-pitch they sound like they're autotuned. That, and the guy's just loving handsome. I like his eyes.
I just wish he hadn't drawn out the song so much. I wanted to hear more words come out of his mouth.
So, I hope he sticks around a while.

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Get ready folks, the first live show is tonight! We are apparently getting one wild card act each week, and I'm happy to say Steven Brundage is one of them :neckbeard:

Good luck to the acts tonight.

Jana: Good for a first act. You wouldn't expect a teen act to do so well, especially in a big theater like that.

Also, what's up with Nick's pseudo man bun?

somekindofguy fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jul 27, 2016

A Big Dark Yak
Dec 28, 2007
It's only the end of the world.

somekindofguy posted:

Also, what's up with Nick's pseudo man bun?

I miss Howard Stern. He would have mocked that.

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Hara: Kenichi plus magic. I hope he will go far. One of the birds got away though :3:

Outlawz: That busting didn't make me feel good. Why the segue into Super Freak as well?

Musical.ly: It was a choir. I'm not sold on them TBH, but THERE SO INSPIRATIONAL

Didn't watch the comedienne.

Deadly duo: Interesting, though possibly soured by how she was guiding him.

Jon: Mentalism eh? Did he get a peek at the cards before he drew them or something?

Daniel: Not impressing me like the first girl. Music felt a bit loud too. Southern block might put him through though, so I don't think he's out yet.

Dorothy: Piss off Nick. I'm the fake nipple tassels.

Sila Sveta: Rez 2 looking good.

Laura: Oy, lot of power there. Can't wait till she steals a spot from someone not a singer, but I tossed her a couple votes.

somekindofguy fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jul 27, 2016

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

somekindofguy posted:

Deadly duo: Interesting, though possibly soured by how she was guiding him.

If throwing morning stars blindfolded at your wife doesn't impress you, then I don't know what to tell you. I had to watch this after it aired so I didn't get to vote but that was definitely vote worthy.

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, they were good enough that I threw them votes, and I'm glad to see they went through. Kind of sucks we lost Hara to the teenage comedienne, though it was amusing how a few of the AGT redditors were pissed at the Trump jokes.

And we're just going to get more kid singers this week, aren't we?

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.
I told myself last season I wouldn't watch AGT after booting all the good acts and put through stuttering comedian and the annoying ventriloquist, but I had nothing better to do.

I regret going back on my decision. Every act I wanted to go through didn't make it. The single singers were obnoxiously loud. Comedians were awfully unfunny. Tapeface was boring and not funny.

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Week 2 of the quarterfinals is up on the East Coast. More pain?

Flipmode: I could take it or leave it. Still better than Outlawz though.

Moya Angelou: Everybody's rooting for her, except maybe me. I've heard there's maybe only 13 singers in the quarterfinals, so they aren't the majority, but the way the producers and editors hype them up compared to some of the other acts is very noticable.

Kind of a lukewarm response from the judges surprisingly. BUT SHE'S SO INSPIRATIONAL AND EVERYONE IS ROOTING FOR HER

Victor Kee: Juggling, and not one dropped ball. Can he step it up? I'd still like to see more of him.

K.D. Lynn: Everybody is rooting for her, except maybe me. While I bitch about the Idolification of the show, Idol and the Voice wouldn't allow singers as young as 12. Sadly, CHURCH plus SMALL TOWN plus THE SOUTH equals a spot in the semis. Having stage presence at her age is cool I suppose.

somekindofguy fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Aug 3, 2016

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Is that couple straight out of deliverance her parents or grandparents?

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Aug 3, 2016

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA holy poo poo a danger act finally went horribly wrong.

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Parents I think.

Ryan and Amber: :stare:

Unfortunately, they done goofed. Sorry guys.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

It took me a moment to figure out if they intended that or not.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Well that went wrong.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA holy poo poo a danger act finally went horribly wrong.

Uh oh, I'm about a half hour behind what happened? I can get a little squeamish and trying to figure out if I should just skip it.

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Selma Bouvier: It's a singer. SO BRAVE Ovarian cancer at her age is incredibly lovely, but Jesus Christ if this isn't a prime example of story over talent. It's like the producers aren't even trying to hide it--note how many times the word "brave" came up. Yay for spot stealing~

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer

lifts cats over head posted:

Uh oh, I'm about a half hour behind what happened? I can get a little squeamish and trying to figure out if I should just skip it.

Nothing bloody, but you might wince a bit when you see it.

Contortionist: Neat bit with the rope, but it seemed a bit similar to the other two auditions afterwards. If she can keep layering on stuff, she should do fine. Hey, at least she didn't nail anyone in the throat.

somekindofguy fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Aug 3, 2016

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

somekindofguy posted:

Nothing bloody, but you might wince a bit when you see it.

Alright, that wasn't too bad. In my head I was imagining him trying to do some weird eyelid thing or something and what sort of accident could happen with that.

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Clarvoriyants: I think I've seen that chalkboard bit before, but not with the mentalism angle. The number of jellybeans thing was cool.

Sal: What the hell did they do with that song choice? After all that hype with the Sinatra, he does a goddamn pop song. Pisssssssss. Sadly, I don't think he hit "Sinatra" level tonight, even with the banter. That buzzer from Simon though.

Brundage: So did he screw with Howie's cube and get it to match his in a few seconds? Goddamn son, that's a fast pair of hands.

somekindofguy fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Aug 3, 2016

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

I think that was one of the best all around episodes.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

somekindofguy posted:

Clarvoriyants: I think I've seen that chalkboard bit before, but not with the mentalism angle. The number of jellybeans thing was cool.

Sal: What the hell did they do with that song choice? After all that hype with the Sinatra, he does a goddamn pop song. Pisssssssss. Sadly, I don't think he hit "Sinatra" level tonight, even with the banter. That buzzer from Simon though.

Brundage: So did he screw with Howie's cube and get it to match his in a few seconds? Goddamn son, that's a fast pair of hands.

From what I've seen of Brundage he is a master of sleight of hand. He either replaced Howies cube with a presolved cube or Howies cube is gimmicked in some fashion. I think it's different depending on the cube Howie picks.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
How did the clairvoyants do the chalkboard part of the trick? Everything else seemed fairly obvious.

Also lol at that guy getting hit in the neck with a flaming arrow.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

How did the clairvoyants do the chalkboard part of the trick? Everything else seemed fairly obvious.

Also lol at that guy getting hit in the neck with a flaming arrow.

Robotics maybe? Or possibly since we got the proof of her showing the board they swapped out the board in the air during the preceding stuff. We couldn't see it at home because of the limited camera and most everyone in the room was paying more attention to the judges table.

Secks
Oct 10, 2002

The city is alive tonight

Victorkm posted:

Robotics maybe? Or possibly since we got the proof of her showing the board they swapped out the board in the air during the preceding stuff. We couldn't see it at home because of the limited camera and most everyone in the room was paying more attention to the judges table.

I'm pretty sure they swapped the board or rotated it or something. I decided to get all curious and compare the corner of the board she revealed with the final reveal. Looks pretty different to me.

Sorry if I ruined the :ssh:

And I always enjoy a danger act ending disastrously. I haven't been that entertained since that guy tried to hurdle that row of chairs seasons ago.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
I think they stacked this show with way too many good acts. At least it might filter out some of the singers.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I gave 5 votes to Brundage and 5 to weird juggler guy

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

Just watched last night's episode, and I wish all of these singers would get sent home. Those who are good have had their exposure now and will probably at least be YouTube famous.

The quick change people hosed up a few times, but I liked actually seeing how it was done.

The dude getting shot in the neck was the best moment from this show. One of my favorite moments in AGT history. Right up there with that guy a few years ago who fell off the stage.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
I actually kind of liked Sal..not enough to vote for him because I don't vote for the singers, but of all the ones competing I can tolerate him the most.

I was kind of meh on Rubix cube this week, his last trick was pretty obvious that he had all 3 of those cubes pre-solved and he swapped out Howie's with one of his behind his back. How is Howie going to call him out on it when he didn't even have time to look at the pattern to see if it was the same cube.

Clairvoyants was awesome, no idea how did they any of that.

There's not enough love for Sofie Dossi in this thread. She can shoot a bow and arrow blindfolded, with her feet, balancing on her hands and it's on fire! What more do you people want!!!

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Hey, so the Olympics are over and AGT returns tonight. This is the last quarterfinals, so 7 more acts move on.

Ready for more pain and inspiring stories?

I certainly wasn't ready for Nick's fro.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

If you are gonna walk with your legs behind your head for 5 minutes please wear a cup so I don't have to stare at your dick.

A Big Dark Yak
Dec 28, 2007
It's only the end of the world.

somekindofguy posted:

I certainly wasn't ready for Nick's fro.

Better than the bun.

Bless Howie for buzzing this dance act.

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Comedian lady seemed to meander a bit at the end for me. The magicians will for sure get a vote or two from me. Singers continue to not interest me, and I skipped Edgar.

EDIT: fuckkkkkk whoever made that arrangment. VAGASSSSSS

More edits: no god please bring big Barry back this is loving twee.mp3 WHY ARE YOU ALL STANDING YOU PISSANTS

somekindofguy fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Aug 24, 2016

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Apologies for the double post, but we just had an obvious BOTH OF YOU and Howie wants this to be the final two so gently caress him.

Third act through wasn't as obvious, but I'm hoping for more singer culls.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
I am officially predicting ukulele girl as this season's winner. I personally have a policy of not voting for singers, but this girl's has been scientifically engineered to win AGT. When her and sparkly jacket singer were up, it was obvious they were both going through.

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer

The Nastier Nate posted:

I am officially predicting ukulele girl as this season's winner. I personally have a policy of not voting for singers, but this girl's has been scientifically engineered to win AGT. When her and sparkly jacket singer were up, it was obvious they were both going through.

Yeah, that had to be a both of you based on how Merica and the judges love them. I still would rather Howie's prediction didn't come true--the thought of Howie Mandel being the show's Kingmaker terrifies me more than an all-singer final.

Semis start next week--save us magic men!

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

The Nastier Nate posted:

I don't know if she knew it but I'm pretty sure Crum did. As they walked over to their spots he winked at her in what I took as a "relax, we're good" kind of way.

I was disappointed to see the jugglers go, but at least another non-singing act beat them through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

somekindofguy posted:

Yeah, that had to be a both of you based on how Merica and the judges love them. I still would rather Howie's prediction didn't come true--the thought of Howie Mandel being the show's Kingmaker terrifies me more than an all-singer final.

Semis start next week--save us magic men!

Howie didn't king make poo poo, and if he didn't hit the golden buzzer I'm convinced one of the other judges would have. She reminds me of a young Zoey Deschenal and America loves its quirky MPDGs.
As much as I hate to praise singers on AGT, she is very good.

• Locked thread