Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Aww. Not even the Japan and Native American team stories?
I remember being a little confused about the Batwoman history stuff and Spyral as the issues were coming out, but Inc vol1 is the height for me.
Yanick Paquette is great.

I really liked the Japan story and that gave me the misguided hope that it'd be more of stuff like that (Batman going to some foreign country and setting up a Batman there) and instead it became a convoluted mess with like, the British superheroes and I'm still not exactly sure about all the Batwoman stuff and how it tied in or didn't. And yeah, the Spyral stuff was even worse.

Also again, cyberspace issue was traaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Well to be fair you have not read the entire story. The rest of Batman Inc post new 52 does answer some of those questions.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Look, Toxxupation. Grant Morrison writes convoluted garbage like it's his religion. I don't think you should listen to people telling you to read more Morrison stories so you stop hating his awful writing.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Toxxupation posted:

Also again, cyberspace issue was traaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaash.

And it had such a good tease, too. :negative:

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
I always got the feeling with the way Batman Inc ended even Grant was tired of it all.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Madkal posted:

I always got the feeling with the way Batman Inc ended even Grant was tired of it all.
Don't forget that Flashpoint hit right in the middle of Batman Inc and left him writing characters that technically didn't exist any more. Can't have been fun.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Lurdiak posted:

Look, Toxxupation. Grant Morrison writes convoluted garbage like it's his religion. I don't think you should listen to people telling you to read more Morrison stories so you stop hating his awful writing.

I think when he's good, he's really, really good; again, really liked Batman and Son/Black Glove/R.I.P., especially the last one (which is probably the best Batman story I've ever read). I just think that as a writer he comes across as self-satisfied and he lapses into his own internal language and themes, so reading his stuff becomes more about translation then comprehension. Which isn't very fun, because then I have to sort of figure out what the gently caress he means, and it's just some prosaic mess of theming.

Travis343 posted:

Well to be fair you have not read the entire story. The rest of Batman Inc post new 52 does answer some of those questions.

Yeah but I'm gonna read Snyder's run first until I hit Batman, Inc's publication date.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Yeah, I feel like what ever plans Morrison had set up for Batman Inc had to be scrapped and rewritten because of the loving reboot. Morrison's idea was suppose to involving a bunch of character's from Batman's past, even the Outsiders. (Which by the end was basically the dumping ground for characters that DC had zero idea what to do with.) New 52 Happens and all of the sudden A bunch of people from Batman's past are unusable because they never happened. Despite the fact that Inc was a pre 52 story that was going to be allowed to continue in a new continuity. I think there was a few books that wen't into the reboot just continuing as if nothing happened, which gave the impressing that the N52 reboot was really half assed and a desperate attempt to boost sales. I kind of agree with Morrison being sick of it by the end. The ending is Batman being told he's a little boy playing with his toys in his parent's basement.

I do want a series of the Native American Batman and Robin though. Batman without the limitless budget and in the country? Yes Please.

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jun 6, 2016

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Toxxupation posted:

I think when he's good, he's really, really good; again, really liked Batman and Son/Black Glove/R.I.P., especially the last one (which is probably the best Batman story I've ever read). I just think that as a writer he comes across as self-satisfied and he lapses into his own internal language and themes, so reading his stuff becomes more about translation then comprehension. Which isn't very fun, because then I have to sort of figure out what the gently caress he means, and it's just some prosaic mess of theming.

Yeah but I'm gonna read Snyder's run first until I hit Batman, Inc's publication date.

You should read Tomasi's Batman & Robin from the reboot alongside that, it's really good and dovetails nicely with the last bit of Inc. It's the most consistently good Batman book in the reboot and I say that as a horrible Scott Snyder apologist.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I loved what Batman Inc turned into. I thought it was great having two Batman and Robin series while Snyder was avoiding Damian like the plague.
Reading Toxx's impressions, I think he'll like it a lot more than vol. 1.

BAT.
COW.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I read Identity Crisis last night for the first time (I think, I have vague memories of some of the scenes but not the story... assume that's because I've seen them elsewhere). Yikes. The random rape scene is just awful and pointless considering where they took (or didn't take) the story.

Just... Bleh. I knew it had a reputation but I still expected it to be a bit better than that.

Also read Kingdom Come. I'm not a huge Alex Ross fan but it was pretty good.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Just ran across the issue of Harley where she and power girl end up killing manos, wielder of the infinity rings and suitor of mistress d, and his kids just sit there not giving a poo poo cuz they hate him.

Thanos deserves such a fate.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

My favorite issue of Batman Inc is where he goes to Japan with Catwoman and lets her steal some incredibly priceless antlantean diamonds because they melt when taken out of the water so she didn't steal anything after all.

Yeah I'm sure the owner of those things is super thrilled you let her melt his priceless artifacts there Batman. It's not stealing if you destroy the thing you stole, right?

it sounds like Catwoman stole a bunch of squand

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Jordan7hm posted:

I read Identity Crisis last night for the first time (I think, I have vague memories of some of the scenes but not the story... assume that's because I've seen them elsewhere). Yikes. The random rape scene is just awful and pointless considering where they took (or didn't take) the story.

Just... Bleh. I knew it had a reputation but I still expected it to be a bit better than that.

Also read Kingdom Come. I'm not a huge Alex Ross fan but it was pretty good.

It took Doctor Light to rape city. Did you know he likes to rape? Did you know he was killed by spectre during Rape role play of prostitutes that are dressed like teen titans? Did I mention he likes rape?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I blame Dr Manhattan.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bobkatt013 posted:

It took Doctor Light to rape city. Did you know he likes to rape? Did you know he was killed by spectre during Rape role play of prostitutes that are dressed like teen titans? Did I mention he likes rape?

I thought everyone liked to rape?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Rhyno posted:

I thought everyone liked to rape?

It's only okay if you are on a job interview with Hedley Lamarr

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

bobkatt013 posted:

But what are his views on Sexual Assault?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

bobkatt013 posted:

It was really weird to go directly from Wildman / Perez Teen Titans, which is the only time I've really ever even heard of Dr Light, to this.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Jordan7hm posted:

It was really weird to go directly from Wildman / Perez Teen Titans, which is the only time I've really ever even heard of Dr Light, to this.

My previous exposure to him was an issue in Suicide Squad where he goes to hell and there is a demon and poo poo. It's played for laughs. Then the next time I saw him he was a rapist. It was jarring.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Having not been much of a DC reader, it was actually the first I saw of him, so there's that.

Then there was one of the Superbuddies minis where Sue Dibny is pretending to be pregnant and says something about inviting Dr. Light to the baby shower. (Obviously she was talking about good guy lady Dr. Light but it was still awkwardly funny to read at the time.)

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Endless Mike posted:

Having not been much of a DC reader, it was actually the first I saw of him, so there's that.

Then there was one of the Superbuddies minis where Sue Dibny is pretending to be pregnant and says something about inviting Dr. Light to the baby shower. (Obviously she was talking about good guy lady Dr. Light but it was still awkwardly funny to read at the time.)
That mini was written after Identity Crisis and either after Infinite Crisis or with full knowledge of what happened in it, I forget. All the jokes (in addition to Sue constantly being mistaken for pregnant, there's a bit where Max threatens to shoot Beetle in the head) are 100% intentional.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

CapnAndy posted:

That mini was written after Identity Crisis and either after Infinite Crisis or with full knowledge of what happened in it, I forget. All the jokes (in addition to Sue constantly being mistaken for pregnant, there's a bit where Max threatens to shoot Beetle in the head) are 100% intentional.

Yeah it was basically the best JLA team going "DC you are dumb."

Giffen's later Ambush Bug was a great satire and parody of DC at that time. Azzarello's Dr. 13 mini took the piss out of the DC architects too.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

CapnAndy posted:

In fact, I'm pretty sure that after he heard about the ending of Countdown to Infinite Crisis, Kevin Maguire went back to the last issue of said mini before it went to print and changed the art on the last page to show Blue Beetle and Max Lord sharing a friendly laugh.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Wheat Loaf posted:

In fact, I'm pretty sure that after he heard about the ending of Countdown to Infinite Crisis, Kevin Maguire went back to the last issue of said mini before it went to print and changed the art on the last page to show Blue Beetle and Max Lord sharing a friendly laugh.
Yup.

edit: from the comments below:
"He (Maguire) mentions in his Masterworks interview Dan Didio excitedly showed him the art from Countdown to Infinite Crisis of Lord blowing Beetle’s head off and thinking Maguire would dig it like him."

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Hot Take: Zero Year is better than Year One.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Toxxupation posted:

It's not, but it's a solid, long-form story I was expecting much less from initially. Ridder is where Snyder shines, not his oooh, spooooooooky Joker poo poo.

The concentrated greatness of Year One over its four issues is a hell of a beast.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Outside of "Yes father, I shall become a bat" and the dinner scene - which, admittedly, are two of the greatest scenes ever printed in comics - Year One didn't really do much for me.

Also I really liked the recontextualization of Bruce Wayne as an angry and very headstrong young man over Year One where he's basically the Dark Knight the instant he arrives in Gotham. Like I really loved his open conflict and disdain he had for both Alfred and Gordon to start with, and Alfred calling him a coward/telling Bruce that he's the Batman to force everyone in Gotham to bear witness to how they abandoned him felt really effective.

Also, Bat Blimp.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Zero Year is absolutely going to go down as one of the best Batman stories ever and probably Snyder's best work. He is still writing Batman so who knows, he might top it, but it doesn't seem likely. I was completely unprepared for it to be as good as it is the first time I read it.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Toxxupation posted:

Outside of "Yes father, I shall become a bat" and the dinner scene - which, admittedly, are two of the greatest scenes ever printed in comics - Year One didn't really do much for me.

Also I really liked the recontextualization of Bruce Wayne as an angry and very foolish young man over Year One where he's basically the Dark Knight the instant he arrives in Gotham. Like I really loved his open conflict and disdain he had for both Alfred and Gordon to start with, and Alfred calling him a coward/telling Bruce that he's the Batman to force everyone in Gotham to bear witness to how they abandoned him felt really effective.

Also, Bat Blimp.

I'm cool with the Bruce coming back in Y1 being a Bruce has already been doing his globetrotting preparation for his war on crime, so yeah, he's ready to get started. I also still underestimate, every single time, just how much more of a Gordon story it is, overall, and his relationship to his wife is simply crushing. Also, I am struggling to find it online, but it has the single best panel Mazzuchelli ever drew, the perfectly timed moment of Bruce pushing the homeless woman out of the way as Gordon grabs for control of the truck bearing down on them. I could re-read Year One over and over again and never get tired of it. Almost every line hits like a fist, and Mazz just made you feel like Gotham was a real damned place; the cityscapes, the face-work, the cinematic, but not "widescreen" paneling...a pure delight.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jun 7, 2016

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Toxxupation posted:

But what about Batman: Earth One?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

redbackground posted:

Almost every line hits like a fist, and Mazz just made you feel like Gotham was a real damned place; the cityscapes, the face-work, the cinematic, but not "widescreen" paneling...a pure delight.

I prefer Capullo to Mazz, gotta say. Also the coloration on Zero Year is just incredible- the encroaching darkness punctuated by so much stark neon giving it a sort of nightmarish fantasy feeling, like a drug trip gone bad.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Toxxupation posted:

I prefer Capullo to Mazz, gotta say. Also the coloration on Zero Year is just incredible- the encroaching darkness punctuated by so much stark neon giving it a sort of nightmarish fantasy feeling, like a drug trip gone bad.

The coloring of zero year is probably my favorite part of the whole thing.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Zero Year is great a top-notch action movie, while Year One is great as character study with action bits (though the action in the "abandoned" building was brilliant and tense). As much flack as Miller gets now, Year One is a masterclass in well paced storytelling. Zero Year is probably the most fun out of the two, but Year One was the better told story in my opinion. Also, it is definitely just as much (if not more) a Gordon story than a Batman story.
Also, Bruce wasn't fully formed when he got back to Gotham and made a poo poo load of mistakes. The one that stands out the most was the confronting the thieves on the outside staircase. Also confronting the pimp on the sidewalks and getting stabbed.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Toxxupation posted:

What version of year one did you read? There is one trade were the coloring ruins it.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Oh my god yeah, that scene in the abandoned building with the swat team is absolutely incredible.

I honestly can't decide which one is better.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Toxx, have you read the other Miller/Mazz team-up, Daredevil: Born Again?

bobkatt013 posted:

What version of year one did you read? There is one trade were the coloring ruins it.
This is true, avoid all newer printings of Year One since like, 2012.

edit, added link.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

But what about Batman: Earth One?
I have literally never heard anyone offer any kind of opinion, passionately negative or positive, about it. It has failed to make any sticking impact whatsoever.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jun 7, 2016

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Travis343 posted:

Oh my god yeah, that scene in the abandoned building with the swat team is absolutely incredible.
It's telling that Batman Begins basically ripped those pages out and used them as a storyboard.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

redbackground posted:

No. I'm in the middle of New 52 Batman right now, so it'll be a while before I'm reading anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

redbackground posted:

This is true, avoid all newer printings of Year One since like, 2012.

edit, added link.

gently caress

• Locked thread