Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Endless Mike posted:

RIP The Jokester

Again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Did anyone that switched from print to digital have a hell of a time? It just feels weird to buy digital. I'm pulling the trigger on the new DC books, but man I still can't bring myself to pay $1.99 for Justice League Europe #1 when I can order the physical copy plus 29 other comics for $30 and get free shipping on that comic seller site.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Rhyno posted:

Yeah, digital does feel like a huge ripoff.

If older comics had a $1 price point I wouldn't feel this way. $2 just feels too much and I can't explain it.

X-O posted:

Digital is the best. I don't have to worry about where I'm going to put a book when I'm done because single issues are the worst unless you're a collector. I'm a reader, I don't give a poo poo about the collecting aspect of comics.

This is one of my hang ups. I love to collect comics, but they take up a ton of space. I'm going to have to get over it and come face it. I probably will not be able to read certain old series that interest me.

CapnAndy posted:

I can put as many comics on my iPad as I want and it stays the same size, weighs the same, and I can carry literally all my comics all the time because I have one magic screen that is all the media I own all the time, on command, and it glows in the dark so I can read it in bed easier.

I went digital and never looked back.

Yeah I love my Kindle and use Marvel Unlimited which is great, but buying comics digitally feels different.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Teenage Fansub posted:

If I had to go to the shop and get floppies every Wednesday, the reality of how many comics I buy would certainly hit me in a way clicking the 'yup' button in a browser doesn't.

This can be deceptive. Three out of the four weeks you get 1 to 3 comics. That isn't too bad. the last week? BAM 12 comics you read are dropped and you realize someone has a problem.

Not you of course. the publishers for not spreading out your series over the month are the problem.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Teenage Fansub posted:

1-3 comics. You're funny.

Is this low?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Good lord! Even at my peak I wasn't buying more than 6 a week on average and that seemed to be too much. I did break 10 once and it triggered a pull list purge.

My budget is $20 for two weeks or 3 new books a week. Any extra will go into a pot or towards back issues.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

zoux posted:

I wonder if there are people out there, not in the industry, who have read everything one (or both!!!) of the big 2 has ever put out.

There is over 1800 different series on Marvel Unlimited. I'm currently at 1527 left to read. To be far I purged about 50 Star Wars titles from my list. :v:

I would unironically read every DC comic if I had the money and access to them.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

zoux posted:

When I first was big into Marvel U and was just reading tons and tons of books I thought I'd try a heroic read of all the X-men mainline comics. Marvel U is missing a ton of those in the 70s-90s but it didn't matter because I never made it past five books of the original run. That old comic dialogue is to painful to actually read.

When I pick up an old series and start to read it, I will stop if it is missing an issue and hope they add it soon.

Toxxupation posted:

Marvel Unlimited's missing a lot.

It is. Like Zoux said. A lot of 70-90 is missing. The 90's in particular are a desert. They just added most of the X-Men run.

You can read all of Amazing Spider-Man. Which is an epic undertaking.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

DrProsek posted:

I'm torn between being impressed with that level of completionism, and confused why someone would do that. It just sounds like that's going to lead to reading a lot of books he doesn't like and have no impact on the DC books he does like, purely because "they're DC, gotta know what's going on in Doomed".

Same thing with the Marvel guy.

It could be a disorder or he legit enjoys the entire thing. If the latter, good on him for having the money to enjoy his hobby.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Toxxupation posted:

God having just finished The Clown at Midnight there's only one time Morrison actually utilizes the fact that it's prose in a way that's effective or necessitates the form and that's the whole "Joker deciding what personality he wants to be" bit, which could've itself been done with him staring in a mirror or something and it runs through all the various faces he's had. Everything else about the issue felt like what you'd find if you searched for "Batman noir" on fanfiction.net. And it doesn't even end. Like that's the most insulting part. Thousands and thousands of words and it doesn't have a conclusion that feels satisfactory or earned.

What an annoying, annoying issue.

That is the exact issue that made me drop Morrison's Batman. It really is a super lovely comic. Real interesting, but super lovely. Jokers poison blood is hilarious too.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

bobkatt013 posted:

So you dropped it right after Batman and son arc, before the comic began to really become good?

This is what I'm told. At the time the first arc wasn't really good and that prose issue convinced me this was going to be experimental art Grant and not trippy, good comics Grant. Who could have known.

boom boom boom posted:

Is Marvel Unlimited any good? It says it has more than 17,000 comics, but is that just comics they don't think they can sell independently?

It is the greatest thing ever and a steal at $10 a month.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Toxxupation posted:

It felt like the storytelling was too all over the place, where it just bounced from setting to setting with no real explanation. It felt overly complicated.

My biggest issues were with what a Mother Box actually, you know, was, who the gently caress Mandrakk was and why he was suddenly the most important villain, and what the exact point of the whole "man is given the gift of fire" sequences were. Was it just to set up the Batman ending or what?

I mean, I liked Final Crisis, don't get me wrong. Like the whole Batman shooting and killing Darkseid bit was powerful and it makes sense that Darkseid would hate music. It just felt...kinda smug about how clever it was, I guess?

Yeah I just read that run, it helped. I'm following this guide.

Issues.

Have you read the other two major crisis?

PS,
Do not feel bad for not liking FC. I do not like it either and was super pissed when it turned out Superman Beyond and Batman stuff was needed to understand the story and nothing anywhere told you this. Plus everyone always saying it is better with annotations that you have to read outside the story is dumb.

I agree with you though. It does have some good ideas, but is a mess.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jun 5, 2016

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Teenage Fansub posted:

FC doesn't really have much to do with the previous Crisises. Not like Infinite's link to COIE.

This is true but they are the big tent poles of DC. You could also add zero hour, Identity crisis, and flashpoint to that list, but the other two are important.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

And if you read IC you have to follow it up with the stellar 52.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

The IC I'm talking about is Infinite Crisis.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Idran posted:

I can understand if people were saying that something was only good with annotations, that's a mark of a bad story, but what's wrong with something being better with annotations? That's what they're for. Like, Through The Looking Glass is great, but Through The Looking Glass with Martin Gardner's annotations alongside is even better.

Edit: Oh wait, or do you mean it's not actually better with annotations in your view?

The annotations are dumb because you have to hunt through interviews and forum posts. If it was in some big collected edition that is cool.

I also didn't like FC.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

CapnAndy posted:

That mini was written after Identity Crisis and either after Infinite Crisis or with full knowledge of what happened in it, I forget. All the jokes (in addition to Sue constantly being mistaken for pregnant, there's a bit where Max threatens to shoot Beetle in the head) are 100% intentional.

Yeah it was basically the best JLA team going "DC you are dumb."

Giffen's later Ambush Bug was a great satire and parody of DC at that time. Azzarello's Dr. 13 mini took the piss out of the DC architects too.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

For some of us that is the only Boom Boom we know. We are the lucky few.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

CharlestheHammer posted:

80s Boom Boom owns tho.

Someday I plan on tackling the complete X-Men runs. We will see which versions owns.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

All-Star Batman and Robin is an incredible comic and one of the best Batman stories ever printed.

If only Jim Lee could drawn more than one page a month. Have they ever released Miller's scripts for the last issues?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Rhyno posted:

No because Lee insists they will finish the book someday.

That sucks. Should have tossed them into the absolute edition or kicked Lee off for the last few issues.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

https://youtu.be/9aofoBrFNdg

Help! I've gone deaf and dogs are attacking my home!

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Toxxupation posted:

Is world war hulk good?

The Punisher tie ins are incredible.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Sentinel Red posted:

I'm too gutted and angry to care about comic books right now. It's a victory for ignorance, fear, and stupidity, and the ones who will feel it the most are the ones who loving voted for it.

Scotland, London, Norn Iron, Liverpool and Newcastle are cool, burn down the rest.

I mean, Wales! loving WALES! It's gotten more from the EU than it's ever put in, they've funded regeneration programmes while successive governments have left it (and the North) to loving rot.

It is really funny Scotland is on that list.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Alaois posted:

and now due to a clause in their last independence referendum, Scotland can hold another vote to leave the UK since they were removed from the EU by force

This is what makes it funny. Plus they stayed because they figured GB would stay EU.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

WickedHate posted:

I've been having a killer headache contemplating the referendum and as much as I wanna avoid it as much as possible it's kind of frightening to think about, especially if it could be foreshadowing for November here in the US.

"Without a bullet being fired"....class act, the UKIP.

So! To answer the original question, goodbye Captain Britan, hello Captain Airstrip-One.

Don't worry about November. If you have any worries come to USPol aka the bestworst thread on SA.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

WickedHate posted:

I didn't worry about November until the thing everyone said wasn't going to happen across the pond happened. :sigh: Thank god the New 52 is over because if the fantasy escapist world kept being as bleak as the real one we'd probably all :suicide:

Do not worry. Markets should stabilize in the US and Asia by the end of the week. It will hurt the US a bit but it shouldn't cause a global recession. Plus it is nearly impossible for Trump to win. Has this increased his chances? Yes, but we would need a recession, Clinton to die or be arrested, or a 9/11 type terrorist attack for him to win.

VagueRant posted:

I actually had to look this up, I didn't believe Farage could've really said it. Kind of a perfect political move, because his supporters will write off any criticism as political correctness and only make him more popular.

Oh wait, this isn't D&D, is it? Any comic authors respond to this yet? Ton of Brits out there.

It is general chat so why not? :shrug:

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Johns all the way except when he eventually goes "Murder! Blood! Shock!" He can write event books, is good at giving characters their own voice, amazing at revitalizing or expanding comic legacy or lore, and appreciates most b through z list characters.

Bendis event books are garbage, his dialogue is too wordy and seems to spin wheels, and a lot of his characters read the same to me.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jun 28, 2016

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Holy buckets yes! Amazon Prime video is available by itself now and for only $9 a month.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Squizzle posted:

Binge watch BTAS.

It is behind CYE, Veep, and The Wire.

Edit: You know what. I have a 4 day weekend coming up and am home alone. It is being considered now.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Rhyno posted:

So you're paying $9 more a year to NOT get free shipping?

We do not order a ton of stuff from Amazon.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Rhyno posted:

Sounds like you should fix that and save yourself $9.

We only order things in November and December.

I don't get what you guys could be ordering every week. Lol

I YouTube music and buy games digitally 6 months after release in PS4 when they go on sale. We don't really need to buy anything that isn't food and Khols sends us enough coupons to make clothes nearly free.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

CapnAndy posted:

When you are in a store and see something you want, check it on Amazon first because about 95% of the time it's cheaper and you can just push a button and have it in two days.

It could be, but we honestly don't need much that isn't food. Maybe cleaning supplies and toiletries, but then I'd have to compare prices for because my gf is crazy.

X-O posted:

Or better yet, you don't actually have to go to a store after getting off work in traffic. You can save yourself time and frustration by just waiting a day or two. Amazon Prime is the best.

I live in a small town. Traffic is not a problem is everything is 10 minutes from me.

I know I'm difficult, but honest Prime isn't a big thing for me. It probably helps that I don't have the disposable income to buy all that I want. :banjo:

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Skwirl posted:

People who can't manage a 50 dollar splurge once a year probably shouldn't be spending 9 bucks a month on an Internet streaming service.

It is $100, but please tell us more how poor people shouldn't have enjoyment.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

$9 a month is cheaper than Hulu, Netflix, and cable.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Skwirl posted:

Prime is 100 bucks? That's pretty minor savings versus the month to month model, never mind what I said. I think I just misread other people's comments about the yearly service and made bad back of the napkin math.

I wasn't trying to say that poor people don't deserve enjoyment, and just that they shouldn't pay twice as much for it, same reason no one should ever rent furniture unless it's for a specific event or very short term.

Sorry I spend too much time in D&D and they sure hate poor people. It is knee jerk at this point.

Squizzle summed it up well, but for some folks it is easier to budget. It ends up being an extra $18 a year to do it monthly.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jun 29, 2016

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

gently caress yeah dudes. Just secured a five day weekend. The GF and her kids are gone until next Thursday or Friday. Just need to make it past the doctors to see if I go to a urologist and the mojitos will flow.

God drat I'm excited. I don't know what to do. Go to the bar tonight, binge a show, read something, play through some backlog, or head out to the 4th of July carnival.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

WickedHate posted:

Aw, that's great man. I vote show binging. I've still got like, a million things to catch up on.

Same, but it is kinda overwhelming. I haven't been alone and able to do my own thing since 2012.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

WickedHate posted:

Luckily I already watched the manga so i can just enjoy gifs of JoJo on tumblr, but I need to get on the latest episodes of Space Patrol Luluco and Preacher, and I'm a whole season down on Concrete Revolutio.

The last show I really managed to follow along with as it was airing was season 2 of Better Call Saul, which was...disappointing, if I'm being honest.

Watch all of Ouran High School Boys Club or Sabagebu!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

:rowdytrout:
https://youtu.be/OZOD0JxNE_g

• Locked thread