Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I liked Wraith in Annihilation: Conquest. I mean, he was super duper forgettable, but I liked him.

I just really liked Annihilation: Conquest in general, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I need to check my pull lists but I'm around sixish a week and just started reading comics.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Rhyno posted:

I knew a guy who obsessively bought every Marvel book printed. He had a complete collection of North America released Marvel comics from 1971-2009. 2009 is when I lost touch with him so I assume he has soldiered on.

That's gotta be worth a pretty penny, considering he's got...what, a complete collection of every Ultimate Universe comic ever printed, for starters?

Did he have every 90s variant? Because even though they were created for the sole purpose of being collected having every single one would actually be pretty loving rare.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Mr Hootington posted:

There is over 1800 different series on Marvel Unlimited. I'm currently at 1527 left to read. To be far I purged about 50 Star Wars titles from my list. :v:

Marvel Unlimited's missing a lot.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

CapnAndy posted:

He's got an Action Comics #1 and Detective Comics #27 and every other million dollar holy grail? Really?

The man basically made it big by exploiting a whole bunch of boy bands to the tune of millions of dollars. And if I remember correctly he only has a confirmed complete collection post-Crisis.

For reference, this dude pays people who used to be The Doctor to star in his fan films of Doctor Who that he wrote and only he is able to see. That's how much money he has. Getting a complete DC collection would "only" run, at most, a couple million dollars in comparison.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I'm reading The Black Casebook (because I'm doing a Morrison Batman readthrough) and Golden Age Batman is the craziest loving poo poo ever.

About halfway through I was like "I bet Batman dressed up as 'Wingman' for no good loving reason" and YEP. But I guess weird emotional torture of Robin is worth any amount of impersonation.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

So I'm on The Clown at Midnight in Morrison's Batman run, and I have to ask - is this comic just a product of its time or something? Like did anyone here read it back in 2007 when it came out and was the whole lovely sub-SFM/Garry's Mod-quality graphics good and/or effective, or the unbelievably purple prose impactful and interesting? Because man this issue comes across as actively repellent when reading it nearly a decade removed as part of a run.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

God having just finished The Clown at Midnight there's only one time Morrison actually utilizes the fact that it's prose in a way that's effective or necessitates the form and that's the whole "Joker deciding what personality he wants to be" bit, which could've itself been done with him staring in a mirror or something and it runs through all the various faces he's had. Everything else about the issue felt like what you'd find if you searched for "Batman noir" on fanfiction.net. And it doesn't even end. Like that's the most insulting part. Thousands and thousands of words and it doesn't have a conclusion that feels satisfactory or earned.

What an annoying, annoying issue.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I liked the first arc. Damian comes across as Jason Todd except with a justified reason for being the way he is and not "No, gently caress YOU dad!"

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Did The Black Casebook come out right before Morrison's Batman RIP run? Because I'm trying to see how anyone could reasonably remember a bunch of super obscure Golden/Silver Age Batman stories (and Robin Dies At Dawn) without it, or how the run makes any loving sense whatsoever if you don't have those stories fresh in your mind. Or is Bat-Mite/Zur-En-Arr/Club of Superheroes more memorable than I assumed?

But yeah these issues might be the straight-up densest comics I've ever read. Seriously trying to envision anyone reading this comic monthly and making heads or tails of what's going on.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

That "red and black" reveal for Jezebel Jet is crass. Even for comics, and by comics standards, that's a crass reveal.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Thoughts:

Final Crisis is too complicated for its own good and felt like it was actively trying to make its readers feel stupid for not getting it.

"Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader?" is a really, really powerful Batman story.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

redbackground posted:

What didn't you get?

It felt like the storytelling was too all over the place, where it just bounced from setting to setting with no real explanation. It felt overly complicated.

My biggest issues were with what a Mother Box actually, you know, was, who the gently caress Mandrakk was and why he was suddenly the most important villain, and what the exact point of the whole "man is given the gift of fire" sequences were. Was it just to set up the Batman ending or what?

I mean, I liked Final Crisis, don't get me wrong. Like the whole Batman shooting and killing Darkseid bit was powerful and it makes sense that Darkseid would hate music. It just felt...kinda smug about how clever it was, I guess?

Teenage Fansub posted:

Jump to Batman 700-702 now (Time and The Batman trade) where Grant hopped back on the title to fill out a bit more of Batman's Final Crisis story and clearly (I think? Been a while) links it to RIP.

Yeah I just read that run, it helped. I'm following this guide.

quote:

Did you read FC in trade or issues? There's a two-parter called Superman Beyond, which shows what Superman was up to after Lois got blown up, introduces the multiverse Supermen squad and that final villain (e: who is 100% metatext. Literally representing a corruption of DC storytelling.)

Issues.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Reading Battle for the Cowl I'm reminded how much Jason Todd is just the WOOOOOOOOOOORST holy poo poo he's the worst, he's just the loving worst.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Question for you guys:

What's the worst speech bubble placement you've ever seen in comics? Because this is my nomination:

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I liked Battle For the Cowl. At the very least, it had Dick Grayson beating the unholy poo poo out of Jason Todd, so it's not all bad.

redbackground posted:

What lovely list are you using that didn't include Morrison's own comics but had BFTC included?

This one.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Mark Waid sounds like a cool dude, especially considering it was very clear from what we got in 1 that something was up.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yea this is about how everyone who's met him seems to fall out. He's a perfectly happy and nice guy but he seemingly has no thought at all at nice ways to put his views or opinions.

So he's blunt then. I see absolutely no problems with this. Continuing to believe that Mark Waid is, in fact, a cool dude.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I see no problem with not cutting any slack to the company that, to this day, insists that identity crisis was an important and affecting and powerful comic and reflective of the stories they want to tell. Especially when they go "hey draw a woman most well known for being in one of if not the most horrifyingly abusive relationship in comics history TOTALLY NAKED AND COMMITTING SUICIDE DOGS WOO-HOO!"

I see absolutely zero problem with doing that.

Mark Waid continues to sound like a cool dude.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

So I finished Morrison's pre-New 52 Batman run (ending with Batman, Inc volume 1).

I feel like the strongest part of his run was from Batman and Son through The Black Glove and Batman R.I.P. (R.I.P. is, in my opinion, the absolute best bat-story Morrison's ever written), with The Black Casebook for necessary context. Those three stories form a really neat arc, and everything after is...distinctly lesser. Final Crisis is pretty confusing and very, very convoluted, Batman 700-702 were all really fantastic stories but felt like a sort of band-aid posthumously explaining the more opaque elements of Batman's story in Final Crisis, so kind of suffered as a result. Batman and Robin actually was distinctly lighter, so that was nice - and Damian's growth as a Robin is really fun to read. The Return of Bruce Wayne I still don't exactly get as a story, but the payoff for both it and Batman and Robin with the Joker/Thomas Wayne reveals was pretty great. And finally, I think Batman, Incorporated was just kind of a mess from top to bottom, this really confusing and convoluted mess that doesn't really end satisfyingly or feel that significant outside of the Leviathan stuff, which kind of comes out of nowhere as suddenly The Most Important Deal.

Also that cyberspace issue of Batman, Inc was loving trash.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Aww. Not even the Japan and Native American team stories?
I remember being a little confused about the Batwoman history stuff and Spyral as the issues were coming out, but Inc vol1 is the height for me.
Yanick Paquette is great.

I really liked the Japan story and that gave me the misguided hope that it'd be more of stuff like that (Batman going to some foreign country and setting up a Batman there) and instead it became a convoluted mess with like, the British superheroes and I'm still not exactly sure about all the Batwoman stuff and how it tied in or didn't. And yeah, the Spyral stuff was even worse.

Also again, cyberspace issue was traaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaash.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Lurdiak posted:

Look, Toxxupation. Grant Morrison writes convoluted garbage like it's his religion. I don't think you should listen to people telling you to read more Morrison stories so you stop hating his awful writing.

I think when he's good, he's really, really good; again, really liked Batman and Son/Black Glove/R.I.P., especially the last one (which is probably the best Batman story I've ever read). I just think that as a writer he comes across as self-satisfied and he lapses into his own internal language and themes, so reading his stuff becomes more about translation then comprehension. Which isn't very fun, because then I have to sort of figure out what the gently caress he means, and it's just some prosaic mess of theming.

Travis343 posted:

Well to be fair you have not read the entire story. The rest of Batman Inc post new 52 does answer some of those questions.

Yeah but I'm gonna read Snyder's run first until I hit Batman, Inc's publication date.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Hot Take: Zero Year is better than Year One.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Outside of "Yes father, I shall become a bat" and the dinner scene - which, admittedly, are two of the greatest scenes ever printed in comics - Year One didn't really do much for me.

Also I really liked the recontextualization of Bruce Wayne as an angry and very headstrong young man over Year One where he's basically the Dark Knight the instant he arrives in Gotham. Like I really loved his open conflict and disdain he had for both Alfred and Gordon to start with, and Alfred calling him a coward/telling Bruce that he's the Batman to force everyone in Gotham to bear witness to how they abandoned him felt really effective.

Also, Bat Blimp.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

redbackground posted:

Almost every line hits like a fist, and Mazz just made you feel like Gotham was a real damned place; the cityscapes, the face-work, the cinematic, but not "widescreen" paneling...a pure delight.

I prefer Capullo to Mazz, gotta say. Also the coloration on Zero Year is just incredible- the encroaching darkness punctuated by so much stark neon giving it a sort of nightmarish fantasy feeling, like a drug trip gone bad.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

redbackground posted:

Toxx, have you read the other Miller/Mazz team-up, Daredevil: Born Again?

No. I'm in the middle of New 52 Batman right now, so it'll be a while before I'm reading anything else.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I have...mixed feelings about Ennis. I really like Crossed (volume 1), but I dunno if I actually like like it or if I like Ennis going "gently caress you Robert Kirkman, you want to do a GRITTY AND REAL post-apocalyptic comic? I'll loving show you a post-apocalyptic comic."

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Jordan7hm posted:

Crossed just felt... gross.

I think that's why I liked it. That moment where as they're being raped/disemboweled and their daughter is torn apart by cannibals behind them where the wife tells the husband in issue 1 how much of a worthless stupid piece of poo poo he is, as they're dying, and the font of the text reveals that it's her sincere opinion over having Crossed...it's affecting. Like, I dunno if it's good, and it's probably not, but there's something sincerely black and dark and very empty about the sort of "noble sacrifice" death that post-apoc comics like to trade in, where a character refuses to abandon their spouse and they end up both dying, that Ennis shuts down very flatly with that sequence. That "No, that's idiotic, not beatific" counterpoint that feels more honest than...well, really anything about TWD. Like, if you're gonna do a post-apocalypse, do a loving post-apocalypse over Kirkman's carnival funhouse.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Does anyone here listen to comic book podcasts? I'm trying to find one that's basically just a week in review where the participants run down the major releases and talk about if they liked them or not. So far, War Rocket Ajax is the only one I've found that fits that form and has hosts that aren't completely loving intolerable to listen to, and since they only review three comics a week and they're almost always all DC since Chris Sims works for Marvel now it's not really doing it for me.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

site posted:

Ah, so that's why ask chris is pretty much DOA. That's kinda funny since all he ever did was talk about DC books.

Ask Chris is still going really strong. But yeah, it switched to exclusively DC since X-Men '92...around this time last year or so, for obvious reasons.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Saying his personality is poorly defined implies he has a personality.

He was retconned into being a founding member of the justice league out of the most half-assed move at diversity ever, because DC realized how bad of a look it would be if their main book was a group of white guys (and one white lady) saving the planet. He's a glorified checkbox superhero, okay we have a POC supe on the main team so we don't have a race problem anymore, and his whole character reflects how he's included more to avoid controversy then for any real reason. He just...exists there. They never do anything that could be even somewhat construed as racist or offensive with him, and they desperately avoid any possible characterization that could be viewed as charged, so he just sorta exists as a formless gray void off to the side, technically a founding justice league member and that's it.

It's very obvious that editorial edict made him a founding justice league member, because cyborg as written in the new 52 mine as well not exist. Even beyond whether or not Johns was interested in the character (I'm gonna guess that he wasn't) , he comes off as a diversity quota superhero and, more than any other, had his storylines monitored heavily to remove any possible point of potential conflict. Designed by committee in its purest sense.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Jun 10, 2016

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yeah none of this racist poo poo is true.

Your complete and total lack of reading comprehension is impressive, considering you interpreted " N52 Cyborg is DC totally half-assedly acknowledging that black people exist in the most penny-ante and spineless way possible" as "racist poo poo"

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

TwoPair posted:

He does, writers just don't use it. Here, let me tell you his (or at least a version of his) personality based solely on half-forgotten memories of a cartoon I watched 13 years ago: Cyborg is a guy who likes hanging out with his friends, bad jokes, video games, and cars. He also knows a lot about technology, probably because he's half robot, and he's had to kind of learn about how his parts work. He has a lot of issues with being half-robot, but he hides those behind a facade of being a loud jokester.

Like, I get that you have a hateboner for the guy and that's fine, but there is material to work with to make an actual character rather than just the Justice League's boom tube machine and black guy. Maybe Cyborg does suck now, but he doesn't have to. There are no bad characters, only bad writers. Except for Deathstroke. He's a bad character.

Why the hell are you comparing an animated interpretation of the character to the New 52 version, when I was complaining about the New 52 version and addressing a question that specifically asked why the New 52 version sucked?

He didn't ask "has Cyborg, the character, ever been good", he asked "why does New 52 Cyborg suck". I explained why he sucked, or at least why I think he sucks. It'd be like if he asked why New 52 Harley Quinn sucks and I went "because she's a crazy homicidal maniac who kills kids with video games and is completely reprehensible and they regressed her relationship with Joker from one of clear victim and abuser to this weird pseudo-true wuv poo poo, but she's still super popular so the comic constantly waffles between portraying as her irredeemable villain and a wacky crazy goof lady (who also happens to be a mass-murdering child killer)" and you responded "YEAH BUT BTAS HARLEY QUINN IS GOOD, QUIT WITH THE HATEBONER FOR HARLEY". It's not relevant to what the discussion was about at all.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jun 10, 2016

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Ferrule posted:

90's X-Force is the pinnacle of bad characters.

Not even the best writers can spin the straw that is Boom Boom

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Why do you own a copy of the All-Star Batman and Robin trade. In hardcover, no less.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

That Yellow room panel is a loving incredible panel (one of the best of all time - the fact that Robin's ice cream was painted yellow never fails to make me laugh), and if he just said it once instead of all the loving time throughout the book (and the first time it was said wasn't in the context of an awful speech where he calls Robin "retarded"), "I'm the goddamn Batman" is a fist-pumping line of dialog.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I know people love Chris Burnham, but I think he might be the artist I dislike the most who's not actively "bad".

I just find his artstyle really repulsive, a weird sorta R Crumb knockoff where all of his faces look just weird and flat and wrong and his body proportions look just off, but unlike Crumb where it's intentional it just comes across as Chris drawing bodies oddly. If I'm being honest it's probably why I don't like Batman, Incorporated very much, because I find his style really kind of grotesque.

I know that he's a good, popular artist, and I'm not claiming he isn't, I'm just wondering if anyone feels the same way, or more generally if anyone has a pet dislike of an artist that they know on an "objective" level is good and talented.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

It's also that my first exposure to Burnham was his E is for Extinction SW tie-in, which is in my opinion the single ugliest story I've ever read.

Really, really, really hate the art in E is for Extinction.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

They should make a new Batman game except with not-poo poo combat and a new developer, and they should use the whole Nemesis system from Shadow of Mordor via copying the Night of the Owls storyline (so instead you're taking on Talons who can't die and regenerate, justifying why they constantly come back and develop immunities to previous tactics you used when defeating them).

You're welcome WB games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I, too, think playing Simon Says is "good combat".

The Batman games had really visceral combat that sort of replicated how Batman would approach it - assessing threats to the point that he'd view them all as icons which he would then effortlessly dispatch - but it wasn't good. It just really worked for Batman, and only Batman, to sort of replicate how this genius detective would approach fighting enemies.

The best combat was, as with all Batman stuff, in the preparation. Scoping out all the enemies, tagging them, and then taking them all down one by one, as criminals got increasingly freaked out and you ziplined and glided from gargoyle to gargoyle, always in the shadows, spreading fear and terror. The combat itself was icon matching, and simplistically dull. Especially after three games of it and countless ripoffs.

Travis343 posted:

Out of everything to criticize about the Rocksteady Batman games, you picked the combat?

The combat was the by-far weakest portion of Asylum, the by-far best Batman game. The gliding/trapping/tagging/stealth mechanics were all far more fun and interesting gameplay then any time you got into combat, since it was very, very easy to the point of being lifelessly dull.

• Locked thread