Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The only time I read digital is if I bought a big collection in a Humble Bundle or from a sale. I like physical books way too much.

Still haven't worked out a good way to store singles on shelves, but I mostly buy trades anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Teenage Fansub posted:

If you're reading in singles, remember to skip the Resurrection of Ras issues coming up. Bit of a useless crossover. Dunno if they removed them for trades.
The Resurrection of Ra's is in its own trade, which makes it easy to ignore if that's how you're reading them.

quote:

e: And don't give up! There's a JH Williams III drawn arc around the corner.
It rules.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Toxxupation posted:

Did The Black Casebook come out right before Morrison's Batman RIP run? Because I'm trying to see how anyone could reasonably remember a bunch of super obscure Golden/Silver Age Batman stories (and Robin Dies At Dawn) without it, or how the run makes any loving sense whatsoever if you don't have those stories fresh in your mind. Or is Bat-Mite/Zur-En-Arr/Club of Superheroes more memorable than I assumed?
Bat-mite had been in a few other things as a joke character, but it's mostly incredibly obscure stuff.

The story only really needs you to know the broad strokes, namely that the Batman stories of 50 years ago were weird and silly. Morrison hadn't read everything in the Black Casebook before he wrote RIP.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Teenage Fansub posted:

Jump to Batman 700-702 now (Time and The Batman trade) where Grant hopped back on the title to fill out a bit more of Batman's Final Crisis story and clearly (I think? Been a while) links it to RIP.

e: Unless it spoils the Return stuff? I don't remember.
Nah, it doesn't spoil it. If you're reading it in trades you can go

B&R book 1
Time and the Batman
B&R book 2
Return of Bruce Wayne
B&R book 3

and get everything in a reasonable order.

Time and the Batman also has some of my favourite Batman lines ever, with Bruce's internal monologue about how he can barely keep up with all the crazy poo poo and how the only way he can do anything is to become a part of the story.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Burnham reminds me a lot of Quitely, for better or worse (generally the former).

Toxxupation posted:

or more generally if anyone has a pet dislike of an artist that they know on an "objective" level is good and talented.
Frazer Irving's art has never done anything for me, and I can't put my finger on why.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Bulgaroctonus posted:

Is that playable on PS3? I'm poor, and still rocking a PS2, but have a decent line on a cheap 3. Also, is poo poo playable off line these days, or is that a thing of the past?
Arkham Knight is PS4 / Bone / PC.

Most stuff is playable offline.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Gaz-L posted:

If you're counting Ms Marvel as an Inhuman, you need to count Squirrel Girl as a mutant, because they're about equally connected to those titles, which is to say not in the least bit.

:colbert:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

WickedHate posted:

I didn't worry about November until the thing everyone said wasn't going to happen across the pond happened. :sigh:
Hindsight Is 20:20 and all but the result wasn't incredibly out of line with what the polls were predicting.

This will probably ensure the conservative fuckwits win the election here in a week though.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Toxxupation posted:

The big problem with Batman, Incorporated was how boring all the alternate Batmans were. The only ones I really liked were Knight and Squire, or rather Beryl's Knight.

I thought the Native American ones were pretty good. Lots of the others were just Morrison throwing around ideas with a vague hope that someone might do something with them (see The Multiversity, Seven Soldiers, New X-Men, etc).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

JoshTheStampede posted:

Seriously, the only times I can remember people actually making fun of Aquaman are Seanbaby's stuff about Superfriends and one sketch on The State. Was there more or are writers still really up in arms about a couple dumb jokes from the 90s?

Nah, he gets used as as the butt of a joke a bit eg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuvcNGud-hE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsMZ6XxEfDU

• Locked thread