Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
They built a gigantic dome over an entire island in service of the world's most boring reality TV show? The cost of such a structure would be astronomical, far beyond the realm of the supposedly lucrative merchandising afforded by the show's popularity.

Not to mention it's completely unnecessary to their purpose. Truman was already not allowed to leave the town, what was a dome gonna do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

insulated staircase
Aug 21, 2014

it's a movie its not real thats how i knew it was bunk

Wall Balls
Jun 3, 2007

Spanish Castle Magic

shut the gently caress up

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps
Forget about the initial capital investment, think of the operating costs. The labor costs alone are staggering.

Applewhite posted:

Not to mention it's completely unnecessary to their purpose. Truman was already not allowed to leave the town, what was a dome gonna do?

Well that's just not true though, it allows them greater control of the environment. Making it storm when they need to, etc.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Who watches a movie and worries about this stuff, oh right goons

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Heres some light reading for you

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Headscratchers/TheTrumanShow

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009
The dome keeps out the radiation and the mutants.

The rest of the world is a hellish wasteland. The Truman show was the only thing that allowed the scavengers living out there to remember their humanity and what the world they lost was like. They were trying to rebuild, but without it they lost all interest and decided that Freedom (to loot and murder) was more important than society.

insulated staircase
Aug 21, 2014

the dinosaur from jurassic world was pretty fearsome looking but i soon realized it posed no threat as it was fictional

Dave_Indeed
Feb 22, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Better go back and change my review from 2.1 stars to 1.6 stars.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Roylicious posted:

Forget about the initial capital investment, think of the operating costs. The labor costs alone are staggering.

Well that's just not true though, it allows them greater control of the environment. Making it storm when they need to, etc.

I think the advantages afforded by being able to control the weather are far outweighed by the aforementioned operating costs of such a facility.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
What do you suppose the meaning of the Truman Show dome is in Tralfamadorian when viewed from above?

Rasta_Al
Jul 14, 2001

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Fun Shoe
More like the falseman show

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Applewhite posted:

They built a gigantic dome over an entire island in service of the world's most boring reality TV show? The cost of such a structure would be astronomical, far beyond the realm of the supposedly lucrative merchandising afforded by the show's popularity.

Maybe the dome was originally built for something else and they decided "gently caress it this is cheaper thsn tearing it down"

Maybe they run weather experiments and the dome is like cern, and the show itself is incidental to the data they collect

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Mange Mite posted:

Maybe the dome was originally built for something else and they decided "gently caress it this is cheaper thsn tearing it down"

Maybe they run weather experiments and the dome is like cern, and the show itself is incidental to the data they collect

See I could sort of accept that.

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

They didn't start with the dome, they built the "set" up gradually as the show became a worldwide megahit. This process culminated in the gigantic dome seen in the movie.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Olewithmilk posted:

They didn't start with the dome, they built the "set" up gradually as the show became a worldwide megahit. This process culminated in the gigantic dome seen in the movie.

I understand that.

How did they conceal the dome's construction from Truman during the years it took to build?

Applewhite fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jun 2, 2016

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
Also all that poo poo seemed HELLA illegal to me

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Applewhite posted:

I understand that.

How did they conceal the Rome's construction from Truman during the years it took to build?

Maybe there used to be a smaller dome inside the big dome

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Like, the dome didn't spring up overnight. For a period of several years the mile-high walls of the half constructed dome would have been visible from anywhere in the town.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

maybe some crazy billionaire was funding the show. or god

Rasta_Al
Jul 14, 2001

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Fun Shoe

Mange Mite posted:

It became the dome in the hit film Biodome.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
Maybe the whole project was a multinational effort to demonstrate that peaceful life is possible. Like a big social experiment the world can take comfort in. At least no matter how bad poo poo gets, you know that somewhere ideal utopia is an achievable dream and you can see it anytime you flip the TV on.

Then Truman escapes and the world devolves into barbarity as despair and disillusionment set in. That's why homie attempted to kill him to get him to not leave.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Roylicious posted:

Maybe the whole project was a multinational effort to demonstrate that peaceful life is possible. Like a big social experiment the world can take comfort in. At least no matter how bad poo poo gets, you know that somewhere ideal utopia is an achievable dream and you can see it anytime you flip the TV on.

Then Truman escapes and the world devolves into barbarity as despair and disillusionment set in.

That doesn't come across in the film.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
mods knew

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

Parallax Scroll posted:

I mean the subtext is basically that a billion-dollar company was playing God with a single person.

It's a good movie

Serious Party Gods
Apr 2, 2009

Everyone should've seen EdTV instead

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

Applewhite posted:

That doesn't come across in the film.

Then why are they so intent on keeping the show going even though they know that Truman knows it's all bullshit? Wouldn't that then defeat the point?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Applewhite posted:

Like, the dome didn't spring up overnight. For a period of several years the mile-high walls of the half constructed dome would have been visible from anywhere in the town.

Maybe before that they restricted his movement since he's a little kid. And during that time they built a smaller dome. Then, shielded by the small dome, they could easily havr worked on a larger dome over it. When time came for the removsl of the small dome, they just gassed him out for like an appendectomy or something while they tore it down.

In fact, this explains the purpose of the domes in the first place - to hide additional construction as the fake town is expanded

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jun 2, 2016

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord

a real jerk posted:

the dinosaur from jurassic world was pretty fearsome looking but i soon realized it posed no threat as it was fictional

I rewatched it recently and my dog was extremely scared and acted funny the rest of the day and seemed to have nightmares.

This is how imagine Applewhites viewing experiences are as well now

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

a real jerk posted:

it's a movie its not real thats how i knew it was bunk

Bad writing= "IT'S JUST A MOVIE, GAAAAWWWWWUUUUUDDD!!!!"

Serious Party Gods
Apr 2, 2009

Remember Jim Carrey's creepy video plea to Emma Stone? That was some poo poo.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Mange Mite posted:

Maybe before that they restricted his movement since he's a little kid. And during that time they built a smaller dome. Then, shielded by the small dome, they could easily havr worked on a larger dome over it. When time came for the removsl of the small dome, they just gassed him out for like an appendectomy or something while they tore it down.

In fact, this explains the purpose of the domes in the first place - to hide additional construction as the fake town is expanded

Hmm. A plausible theory.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Lesbian Bed Death posted:

Remember Jim Carrey's creepy video plea to Emma Stone? That was some poo poo.

Wait in a movie or in real life?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Seems like it would have been more efficient and cost effective to raise Truman up from childhood believing that it's normal for cameras to be everywhere.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Parallax Scroll posted:

the director is god wowowow how did you miss that subtext

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

Applewhite posted:

Seems like it would have been more efficient and cost effective to raise Truman up from childhood believing that it's normal for cameras to be everywhere.

I dunno how would you explain that he is the only one on TV though when he asks?

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

Applewhite posted:

I understand that.

How did they conceal the dome's construction from Truman during the years it took to build?

They did it when he was young and on a different set, so that there was no need for him to have seen the dome's construction. Much like he didn't know he'd gone to a fake Mt. Rushmore, he wouldnt have realised he'd been moved to an identical but larger set under the dome. Perhaps the set wasn't identical and they told him he'd moved house.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
i often think my life is like a tv show cause it seems like its always trying to prank me and temp me with stupid poo poo

Serious Party Gods
Apr 2, 2009

Mange Mite posted:

Wait in a movie or in real life?

IRL! Sorry for the MASSIVE FUCKIGN DERAIL AW

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2e5qfcbtfEI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

hell yeah keeps getting probated over and over by a fyad mod, i wonder what he did to earn such a fate

• Locked thread