Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
Ya'll ever try 98 ME? Oh my baby Jesus.

A ILL BREAKFAST posted:

there are a bunch of stupid newbie baby friendly linux distros. ubuntu if you like mac osx. mint if you like windows 7... there are so many options. okay, well, really just those two (not really there are more but im just giving yuo the gist). yo u could do LMDE which has rolling updates so you never have to install a new version ever again!!! if it makes it more appealing, some of the crappier games on steam work* with linux

*theoretically

Yeah that's nice. One day, if you're lucky, you'll have a more than full time job(s) and kids an poo poo and you'll suddenly realize that you really just want your OS to work like its supposta.

Anime Blood, Jive honky: y'all got my back, what up.

I use a lot of Adobe bullshit, and Mac don't like it one bit. It's sad because there's some nice quality of life improvements there. OTOH, it's not sad at all because its expensive to upgrade and I like to build my own frankencomputer. In a way Steve Jobs is a Communist in the worst degree. I could go on but i think only Anime Blood would be interested and he likes anime so gently caress that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

nullEntityRNG posted:

Unironically this. Upgrade tends to break all sorts of poo poo. Upgrade, get the key and recovery media, then fresh install. Much better time

that sounds boring as hell

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
Apple makes installing an OS sexy and exciting. I could do it all day.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Airborne Viking posted:

Apple makes installing an OS sexy and exciting. I could do it all day.

Is it sexy when you have to put your password in 5 times in a row and you have no idea what thing you're doing it for?

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

A ILL BREAKFAST posted:

there are a bunch of stupid newbie baby friendly linux distros. ubuntu if you like mac osx. mint if you like windows 7... there are so many options. okay, well, really just those two (not really there are more but im just giving yuo the gist). yo u could do LMDE which has rolling updates so you never have to install a new version ever again!!! if it makes it more appealing, some of the crappier games on steam work* with linux

*theoretically

but what if i want to play video games

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Robo Reagan posted:

:q: https://appdb.winehq.org :q:

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
oh man final fantasy 11 and starcraft 1 time for me to drop wiondows forever

A ILL BREAKFAST
Jun 9, 2007

*unsheathes katana*

DiHK posted:

Ya'll ever try 98 ME? Oh my baby Jesus.

Yeah that's nice. One day, if you're lucky, you'll have a more than full time job(s) and kids an poo poo and you'll suddenly realize that you really just want your OS to work like its supposta.

Anime Blood, Jive honky: y'all got my back, what up.

I use a lot of Adobe bullshit, and Mac don't like it one bit. It's sad because there's some nice quality of life improvements there. OTOH, it's not sad at all because its expensive to upgrade and I like to build my own frankencomputer. In a way Steve Jobs is a Communist in the worst degree. I could go on but i think only Anime Blood would be interested and he likes anime so gently caress that.

I use Mint on my work laptop (for my full time job, you rear end) and it hasn't broken in 4 years? A lot of major programs work flawlessly with CrossOver or other wrappers. Linux has changed a lot in the past 10 years, and the major motivating factor for Mint is literally that it "just works"

I installed 17.3 Cinnamon on a Thinkpad for my wife just this afternoon and I didn't have to install a single driver. All the function buttons work as they should, wireless adapter works, graphics card works, using a TV as a second display (including sound!) via HDMI works, which is more than I can say for 8.1 when it was new. The only thing I did, which was optional, was get a plugin that allowed for the touchpad gestures she's used to using. Absolutely nothing required tinkering in any way, unless I wanted to do so.

If you wanna go full autist you can always install Gentoo (hello desktop environment :spergin:) but if you want something that can do basically everything but bideo james (and even then, it can handle many. Just not all), it might be worth looking into Mint. I mean, I can see you hate Windows a lot, so I'm just trying to help.

Robo Reagan posted:

WINE wrappers, CrossOver, there are ways. A surprising amount of new games offer native Linux support now, it's crazy

A ILL BREAKFAST
Jun 9, 2007

*unsheathes katana*
u made me serious post u piece of gently caress. fart gently caress hell. 5555 golden manbabies and such

*drops a wicked dookie in this thread*

zimboe
Aug 3, 2012

FIRST EBOLA GOON AVOID ALL POSTS SPEWING EBLOA SHIT POSTS EVERWHERE
I'm literally retarded
My system works fine on 7, and I finally got all the apps to work from XP, and it is stable hardly ever crashes.

So I should risk loving it up for an upgrade I neither want or need?
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. It's that simple.

OP is correct.

The Biscuit
Jul 2, 2007
Half of everything is luck.

A ILL BREAKFAST posted:

I use Mint on my work laptop (for my full time job, you rear end) and it hasn't broken in 4 years? A lot of major programs work flawlessly with CrossOver or other wrappers. Linux has changed a lot in the past 10 years, and the major motivating factor for Mint is literally that it "just works"

I installed 17.3 Cinnamon on a Thinkpad for my wife just this afternoon and I didn't have to install a single driver. All the function buttons work as they should, wireless adapter works, graphics card works, using a TV as a second display (including sound!) via HDMI works, which is more than I can say for 8.1 when it was new. The only thing I did, which was optional, was get a plugin that allowed for the touchpad gestures she's used to using. Absolutely nothing required tinkering in any way, unless I wanted to do so.

If you wanna go full autist you can always install Gentoo (hello desktop environment :spergin:) but if you want something that can do basically everything but bideo james (and even then, it can handle many. Just not all), it might be worth looking into Mint. I mean, I can see you hate Windows a lot, so I'm just trying to help.

WINE wrappers, CrossOver, there are ways. A surprising amount of new games offer native Linux support now, it's crazy

You missed the bit where it is (or can be) a oval office to setup first time (x.org drivers and the like), but apart from that, yeah it does work.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
When my computer eventually upgraded itself to win 10 I couldnt login because the mouse and keyboard didn't do poo poo. Gj microsoft

I wiped that crap with a 7 from 2011 and it works fine

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

What does 10 do that 7 doesn't? That an average person would care about?

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
you cant play games on it yet

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Hmm it would have to be a digital fire,, op

Scornful Sexbot
Sep 24, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Windows 10 is trash.

I upgraded and if I leave my computer on around 12hours straight the start bar/all the taskbar bullshit freezes on my desktop. The same thing happens to my girlfriend's different brand and year laptop after upgrading at the deadline. I have tried everything short of pouring my own demonically enhanced blood into the machines and nothing works. replacing the tileset database, close/restart explorer.exe, reinstalling all the windows apps and poo poo in powershell. No permanent solution.Thousands of people seem to have this issue, many claiming to have a fix, and none of which work for very long. You just have to save all your poo poo, sign out, and sign back in to unstick the bar but that is HORSESHIT and MICROSOFT DOESN'T CARE ABOUT ME OR WHITE PEOPLE.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

phantom_dilz posted:

Windows 10 is trash.

I upgraded and if I leave my computer on around 12hours straight the start bar/all the taskbar bullshit freezes on my desktop. The same thing happens to my girlfriend's different brand and year laptop after upgrading at the deadline. I have tried everything short of pouring my own demonically enhanced blood into the machines and nothing works. replacing the tileset database, close/restart explorer.exe, reinstalling all the windows apps and poo poo in powershell. No permanent solution.Thousands of people seem to have this issue, many claiming to have a fix, and none of which work for very long. You just have to save all your poo poo, sign out, and sign back in to unstick the bar but that is HORSESHIT and MICROSOFT DOESN'T CARE ABOUT ME OR WHITE PEOPLE.

Uninstall Dropbox and then install the latest version after rebooting. Seriously, the number of issues with 10 and Dropbox software is p ridiculous.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Is it too late to upgrade?? Did I make it???

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost

Sancho posted:

Security and future support. You don't want the Russians and Chinese stealing your cat pictures, do you?

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Sancho posted:

its got a nice file copy dialog :shobon:

RVWinkle posted:

Security and future support. You don't want the Russians and Chinese stealing your cat pictures, do you?

yeah only ms and the nsa have that right :911:

Illavick
Sep 15, 2012

WHENA MINA RENA VATIVE
But 10 is bigger than 7. It's like 3 more than 7. Why wouldn't you want an extra 3?

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

I've upgraded to windows 10 and hqve not had any problems. Maybe you guys have poo poo computers and/or are bad at computing.

Indy
Mar 30, 2005

Hey guys, what's up?

Panniculus Rift posted:

I've upgraded to windows 10 and hqve not had any problems. Maybe you guys have poo poo computers and/or are bad at computing.

Same

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:
Upgraded, after i clicked the close button like a retard. Everything seemed ok, until I changed the bullshit default privacy settings. Then mysteriously the wifi just straight up refuses to work until I changed them back to default. gently caress that I decide to switch back to 7. Windows does its utmost to near-brick my PC. Windows bluescreens on launch after the downgrade. I transfer what I have using windows recovery and its command prompt, reformat and do a clean reinstall of 7.

gently caress Microsoft.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

DiHK posted:

Is it sexy when you have to put your password in 5 times in a row and you have no idea what thing you're doing it for?

I like spontaneity. I'll put it in all day long.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
It's hosed up OP, but bear with me here: it's fine

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Once I told my win7 to "go on ahead and upgrade" after it asked me like 5 times so it said "OK cool if you're going to twist my arm about it," and then it did its 10gb do and began the process. After the dl it was installing and then hit an error, didn't tell me what the error was, and said it would retry. So it did the 10gb dl again,and restarted the install. Which failed, and didn't tell me why. So it started the 10gb dl again.

That is some amateur hour programming bullshit, which would be funny coming from some upstart challenging the big guy.

cub
Sep 6, 2014

by Shine
i used it one time and now i have loving AIDS

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

ever since updating to win 10, my start button stops working once in a while lol

it's poo poo

Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014
:yikes:

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Last Chance posted:

ever since updating to win 10, my start button stops working once in a while lol

it's poo poo

yep

the whole start menu is a metro app, actually

Stuffguyman
Jun 3, 2007

Illavick posted:

But 10 is bigger than 7. It's like 3 more than 7. Why wouldn't you want an extra 3?

This is why I only use Windows 2000 Server. :frogc00l:

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot
i've seen a bunch of people online bitch about Win10 making Autodesk programs get all hosed up and I need that poo poo for work, i'd give it a shot but I can't risk ruining my home computer wrt autodesk

MS will probably keep supporting 7 for at least a few years, right? maybe I'll just pay for Win10 after it's been out for a couple years and works with everything

Scornful Sexbot
Sep 24, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Boywhiz88 posted:

Uninstall Dropbox and then install the latest version after rebooting. Seriously, the number of issues with 10 and Dropbox software is p ridiculous.

I appreciate your attempt to help but I don't have drop box and Windows 10 is irredeemable. Seems other posters ITT have the same problem. I must live with this pain.

Darkness
Imprisoning me
All that I see
Absolute horror
I cannot live
I cannot die
Trapped in myself
Trapped by Windows 10........

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
I prefer Windows 98

cub
Sep 6, 2014

by Shine

Windows 98 posted:

I prefer Windows 98

hey sandy

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

A ILL BREAKFAST posted:

u made me serious post u piece of gently caress. fart gently caress hell. 5555 golden manbabies and such

*drops a wicked dookie in this thread*

You didn't HAVE to serious post. But I haven't hosed around with linux for 15 years so it's good to know that running it is not a serious hobby anymore.

I haven't had any problems with Autodesk... yet. Adobe stuff and that overcomplex start button will totally drop the ball and hang with that dumb loading circle. At least 7 had the sense to crash and reboot explorer when it fell on it's face. It's not quite as bad as Mac with Adobe products but jesus loving christ. They sold us these machines under the premise that they are creative tools and then they do a poo poo job integrating the most popular creative tools.

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
maybe ill check it out once it can play games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
windows 10 is lame because you literally have to buy a subscription to play solitaire

• Locked thread