Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Lol

Windows 10 is cool and good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:
Microsoft devs should be forced to use the OS they are developing when they at at their desks, after a certain point. I bet 90% of the Windows 8/10 devs brought Mac laptops or some lovely rear end tablet to work.

redm
Feb 20, 2016

Sugartime Jones
windows 10 is total dogshit I concur

bikesonyx
Oct 9, 2014
This thread is figuratively a circle jerk. Yuck

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
My windows 10 start menu doesn't pop up when I click the button anymore and when I right click my pinned items I don't get a menu. But I can right click the start button to get access to anything I actually need. All the potential fixes are complicated and I may apparently need to reinstall windows. But I don't care so I guess I'm right clicking my start button to get to settings and adding a few pins.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

My MAME arcade machine running windows 7 has automatic upgrades set to "never check for updates" but still managed to install gwx.exe
I've uninstalled KB3035583 and disabled the entire windows update service now, hopefully that does the trick.

I don't even browse the internet from that machine, Microsoft! Stop loving with it behind my back! The arcade monitor drivers only exist for windows 7 anyway!

wa27 posted:

Every night Windows 10 restarts my computer to install an update. But apparently it fails every time because it just tries again the next night. It has been doing this for months. I have enabled the group policy that is supposed to prevent automatic restarts for updates; still happens. It doesn't even let me reschedule - those options are greyed out.

The only way around this for me was to download the windows 10 media creation tool and use that to download and install the newer build on top of the existing installation. I have no idea what caused it, the PC that had the problem is completely bog standard and used only for Steam games.
To make matters worse you MUST install that build 1511 update of windows 10 to be able to install the latest nvidia drivers required for the new gtx 1070 and 1080 cards. Otherwise you get an error saying your version of windows is not compatible, without explaining why it thinks that.

Microsoft is such a loving shameful shadow of its former self in 2016. God bless them for firing their QA department a couple years ago.

Knight007au
May 8, 2007
Dealing with windows 10 feels a lot like dealing with those windows update ad viruses from a few years ago.

A ILL BREAKFAST
Jun 9, 2007

*unsheathes katana*
have you guys installed linux yet

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
i have to run windows at work (on one machine, the other has linux) but it's 7 enterprise so it won't auto upgrade

I have been running osx (on pc hardware) or linux on everything at home for a long time save for an old windows box I use for vsphere. why you would gently caress with windows on a personal computer is beyond me (no i do not play video games). you should know that this poo poo will happen eventually. it's pretty funny hearing people at work bitch about it happening to them, it's like you fuckers are system admins how the hell did you let that poo poo happen to your home machines?

that said I look forward to the probable class action suits against ms for the malware-esque upgrade shenanigans

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Jun 6, 2016

ballistics statistics
Nov 27, 2003

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Node posted:

Laffo at the people that don't pay attention to their computer and have it upgrade to 10 on its own.

I am going to laugh so hard when all the people that think they can avoid the upgrade by clicking cancel get megafucked when MS stops letting people delay the upgrade and forces the upgrade next month. They've been saying the upgrade is only "optional" for the first year since it came out. From the start, they've said that the upgrade would be forced this coming July.

PS: windows 10 is fine and I like it. I had the same issue with the start menu and I googled the problem and I think I typed a single line of text into a console and the problem was fixed, sorry that some goons are so invested in wearing diapers and crying until mommy comes and fixes the problem that they can't do the worlds most basic troubleshooting.

ballistics statistics fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Jun 6, 2016

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

ThaGrandCow posted:

I am going to laugh so hard when all the people that think they can avoid the upgrade by clicking cancel get megafucked when MS stops letting people delay the upgrade and forces the upgrade next month. They've been saying the upgrade is only "optional" for the first year since it came out. From the start, they've said that the upgrade would be forced this coming July.

PS: windows 10 is fine and I like it. I had the same issue with the start menu and I googled the problem and I think I typed a single line of text into a console and the problem was fixed, sorry that some goons are so invested in wearing diapers and crying until mommy comes and fixes the problem that they can't do the worlds most basic troubleshooting.

If they do this i hope Bill Gates dies of a worse cancer than Steve Jobs, but is smart and seeks treatment from real doctors, but still dies anyway because it is incurable.

ballistics statistics
Nov 27, 2003

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Kazak_Hstan posted:

If they do this i hope Bill Gates dies of a worse cancer than Steve Jobs, but is smart and seeks treatment from real doctors, but still dies anyway because it is incurable.

Once again, MS has said from the release of Win10 that they would allow people to upgrade in their own time, but next month there wouldn't be an option to delay anymore and the systems would be forcibly upgraded. Not sure if it's the same for enterprise systems, but definitely normal people.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

ThaGrandCow posted:

Once again, MS has said from the release of Win10 that they would allow people to upgrade in their own time, but next month there wouldn't be an option to delay anymore and the systems would be forcibly upgraded. Not sure if it's the same for enterprise systems, but definitely normal people.
Where can I read this? Everything I search for just shows some random tech site showing you how to stop the upgrade process, not that it will be mandatory in July.

A Stupid Baby
Dec 31, 2002

lip up fatty
Its ok but apparently it cant handle different sized monitors or something because it keeps letting cursor clicks go thru onto my second screen which typically minimizes whatever was on the main one???? Its kind of annoying.

But on the Other hand you can play Killer INstinct! with it.

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

I installed windows 10 and it replaced all the pictures stored on my computer with pics of Wyclef Jean wearing a chef's apron and nothing else

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I actually wouldn't be surprised if there actually ends up being a class action lawsuit, mostly due to the fact that clicking cancel/X actually gets submitted as clicking agree lol

All it's going to take is some mom and pop printing place being out of business for a day or two because their printer drivers don't work with 10 or something. "But we clicked X when it asked us to upgrade".

I get pissy when Plex auto updates on my Fire TV because every other version breaks something. Lol that an entire OS revision is doing this.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

ThaGrandCow posted:

PS: windows 10 is fine and I like it. I had the same issue with the start menu and I googled the problem and I think I typed a single line of text into a console and the problem was fixed,

lmfao you dont even need to use the console in competent linux distros anymore, this is completely unacceptable

windows 2016: worse than a linux

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

I actually wouldn't be surprised if there actually ends up being a class action lawsuit, mostly due to the fact that clicking cancel/X actually gets submitted as clicking agree lol

There will absolutely be a number of lawsuits and Microsoft will likely lose some or all of them.

Microsoft knows this and has prepared for it.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

revmoo posted:

There will absolutely be a number of lawsuits and Microsoft will likely lose some or all of them.

Microsoft knows this and has prepared for it.

Yeah I mean even on ios you can turn auto updates off very easily, and even then, selecting "cancel" will NOT install the update lol

It's like Microsoft is forgetting why some people haven't switched to OSX.

I wonder how Microsoft is preparing for it though.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
*uninstallable software

*programs that absolutely should work on an older os but won't out of spite

*forced updates performed without permission from the user

*reboots in the middle of writing an essay at 2am

*(M. Night Shyamalan plot twist) is using Windows 10 and not some mobile os by Apple

Killer Low Life
Sep 6, 2010

Photoshop doesn't play nice with it

Like windows 8 you have to do a bunch of registry tweaks to get it remotely usable

Themes still a total mess

Got to admit it boots fast as gently caress with an SSD tho, so there's that

Overall not that stoked on it

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

Windows 7 boots fast as gently caress with a SSD too

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I just got a new computer and it has Windows 10. It's not as good as Windows 7 but it's definitely not as bad as Windows 8. Welp that's my analysis of Windows 10 thank you god bless you and god bless the United States of America :tipshat:

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
Tried removing the Win 10 software update crap from my pc, but it just came back. Now my pc always says I gotta restart to install updates that aren't even there.

Why won't it die?! :cry:

Connor the Conure
Jun 4, 2016

Spoiled to all hell

Kazak_Hstan posted:

Why do people still think Bill Gates runs Microsoft?

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's like killing the first vampire. It's the only way to finally kill Windows.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
MS DOS was so much better than Windows 3.1

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Windows 10 is walking in on your parents while trying to have sex only your mom is just belittling your dad because he can't get it up.

Setzer Gabbiani
Oct 13, 2004

Blazing Ownager posted:

Enjoy this simple trick to get frothing nerd rage:

1) Go onto a gaming forum for a newly released game, ideally one that SUPPORTS Vista for maximum comedy
2) Post that you are having trouble getting the game working on Vista
3) Add in that you don't want to upgrade

This sounds like something nobody'd give a poo poo about but every time it's a flood of people seeing red and screaming out "VIIIISSSSTA," and you can picture them barely able to control typing through their angry shaking.

The sad thing is that the vista mentality pretty much killed dx10 and made devs wary of dx11 for the longest time, and it was only like 5-something years ago that 7 finally overtook the now-ancient xp in steam hardware surveys, current AAA games being dx11-only without a seperate dx9 executable is still a semi-recent thing

dx12 is probably going to go the same route dx10 did, and because devs hate openGL it makes me worried vulkan will go nowhere because it requires effort, all while dx11 becomes the new dx9

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

Why do devs hate openGL so much it seems fine to me tbh

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

micro$cam winfucks

A ILL BREAKFAST
Jun 9, 2007

*unsheathes katana*
have u guys installed linux yet? install. linux.

gentoo is pretty good. im sure anyone who knows how to use a computer could install it in a matter of mere minutes

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
I upgraded to 10, then GTAV said I had an illegal copy and wouldn't open no matter what I did.

Summary: windows 10 sucks.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps
e: oops

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Ginette Reno posted:

It's been fine for me. Just tell that bitch Cortana to shut up or she won't stop pinging you.

Please tell me how to do this. This is not a joke my laptop is tired of being a hostage.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
for me it's not so much that windows 10 is absolute trash (it kinda is tho) but that 7 was pretty much perfect. like i never had a single issue with that that wasn't clearly the result of some other program or me being dumb

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

reignofevil posted:

Please tell me how to do this. This is not a joke my laptop is tired of being a hostage.

righth click on the start menu bar and say disable...

texasmed
May 27, 2004
I just installed 10 since I'm old and it takes a while to accept new things. It's good after uninstalling Candy Crush and all the other bullshit. You have to disable as much privacy poo poo as possible though because it seems the default settings allow Microsoft to shove their fist up your rear end remotely. It's also about 10gb smaller than a fresh install of Windows 7 which is really nice for my SSD.

Just get the media creation tool, grab a 4gb flash drive, and reformat your boot drive with 10. Upgrading from something else to 10 is for scrubs who want weird complicated poo poo happening to their system.

edit: poo poo

A ILL BREAKFAST
Jun 9, 2007

*unsheathes katana*
hey guesss what if you think the telemetry in 10 can be disabled you are a loving moron. hope this helps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

texasmed
May 27, 2004

A ILL BREAKFAST posted:

hey guesss what if you think the telemetry in 10 can be disabled you are a loving moron. hope this helps

who said it can be disabled

• Locked thread