Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SurfaceDetail
Feb 17, 2016

by Cowcaster
Please respect other, better cultures op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Every term for vagina eventually becomes offensive.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
Do they ever touch on the fact that most successful restaurants exist for 3-5 years only?

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps

Weird BIAS posted:

Do they ever touch on the fact that most successful restaurants exist for 3-5 years only?

The stat is 70% of restaurants that make it past the first year only last another 3-5 years. 90% of restaurants still operating past the 5 year mark stay in business at least 10 years. Plus that data is skewed by the vast numbers of people that are just like the people on Kitchen Nightmares but don't get on TV or have a famous chef help them out.

What is interesting though is doing an internet search on the restaurants in the episodes, many of them end up closing anyway because they are so deep in debt or because the owner just changes the menu back to the old thing as soon as Ramsay leaves.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

In a place where my family often go on holiday there is a restaurant that was on UK kitchen nightmares and it is still open. It's a really drat good restaurant and we still go there every time and that's my gordon ramsay story :)

Also

IT'S RAW RAW RAW YOU loving DONKEY
______________/

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

My favorite is the one with the greasy little Mexican dude running a greasy little Mexican restaurant that is literally the same as the one he had before that failed. And he put his step-daughter into debt with it. They closed temporarily once for unpaid taxes and then finally for good over... unpaid taxes again.

Second best is Burger Kitchen, where a mentally retarded Australian man and his bi-polar slow wife steal from their Goon Lord son's trust fund and Goon Son and Manic Pixie Girufriendo hate them, also the chef is receiving "deferred payments".

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

KiteAuraan posted:

My favorite is the one with the greasy little Mexican dude running a greasy little Mexican restaurant that is literally the same as the one he had before that failed. And he put his step-daughter into debt with it. They closed temporarily once for unpaid taxes and then finally for good over... unpaid taxes again.

Is that the one where the guy used the same menu and just put a sticker over it, lol

cnut
May 3, 2016

evobatman posted:

you cook like old people gently caress

go on...

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.

KiteAuraan posted:

Second best is Burger Kitchen, where a mentally retarded Australian man and his bi-polar slow wife steal from their Goon Lord son's trust fund and Goon Son and Manic Pixie Girufriendo hate them, also the chef is receiving "deferred payments".

Yeah investing $250,000 of your son's trust fund without his knowledge or permission and then turning around and pushing your book about how your dad (the grandpa of said son) was a 'gentle satan' who treated his son with disrespect was loving delicious irony.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Does the son not have a legal claim to the money, given that it was presumably invested with the son's name slathered all over it as the beneficial owner?

SurfaceDetail
Feb 17, 2016

by Cowcaster

Roylicious posted:

The stat is 70% of restaurants that make it past the first year only last another 3-5 years. 90% of restaurants still operating past the 5 year mark stay in business at least 10 years. Plus that data is skewed by the vast numbers of people that are just like the people on Kitchen Nightmares but don't get on TV or have a famous chef help them out.

What is interesting though is doing an internet search on the restaurants in the episodes, many of them end up closing anyway because they are so deep in debt or because the owner just changes the menu back to the old thing as soon as Ramsay leaves.

yea when these people go on the show most of them are literally only a couple months from closing. They get some new decor and some expert advice but you still have the same broken people running it.

SurfaceDetail
Feb 17, 2016

by Cowcaster

Strategic Tea posted:

Does the son not have a legal claim to the money, given that it was presumably invested with the son's name slathered all over it as the beneficial owner?

Assuming it wasn't misrepresented on the show (a distinct possibility) son has a slam dunk legal case if he was over 18 when this happened. And a 5050 shot if his dad did this when he was a custodian. But theres no money to sue for.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I like watching Gordon Ramsay yell at people. It doesn't matter if they actually deserve it or not.

Bobbie Wickham
Apr 13, 2008

by Smythe

kiimo posted:

I think I remember one where he thought the person was an amazing bakery chef and told her to concentrate on that alone. If I remember right his advice was ignored.

The chef didn't follow Ramsay's advice, and the baker jumped ship before the place closed. The episode ends with Gordon visiting the baker's new business, which seemed to be doing well.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

OctoberBlues posted:

Is that the one where the guy used the same menu and just put a sticker over it, lol

Yes. It's also the one where Gordon was going to cook them a meal but the clean plates were literally crawling with roaches. If I'm not mistaken, they also had a garbage can full of refried beans they were scooping servings out of.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Roylicious posted:

Wouldn't those numbers also be skewed in the other direction by places like Applebee's that never close, or are chains not included in the data?

SurfaceDetail
Feb 17, 2016

by Cowcaster

criscodisco posted:

Wouldn't those numbers also be skewed in the other direction by places like Applebee's that never close, or are chains not included in the data?

I think that number refers to non chain restaurants. I know they don't include fast food like McDs, which actually aren't awful investments.

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?
THEY'RE MOLDY YOU PILLOCK

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9b-S7rAeyc

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery

criscodisco posted:

Yes. It's also the one where Gordon was going to cook them a meal but the clean plates were literally crawling with roaches. If I'm not mistaken, they also had a garbage can full of refried beans they were scooping servings out of.
Yes, that was all one episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRk0N-jFVFA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1k7Y-1-w4FA

And the :iceburn:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLGXDRl73ec

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Absolute Lithops posted:

Yeah people who've been on the American version say he's very nice off camera and only acts like that while filming. I like the British version better because it's more chill.

Also he is very good (eggcellent, if you will pardon my french) at scrambled eggs although it's a pain to clean up afterwards. It's best to dump the eggs out of the pan as soon as they're done, then immediately put the pan in the sink and fill it with water.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUP7U5vTMM0

I use his method with cast iron instead and it never sticks at all. You don't have to keep moving the pan on and off heat with cast iron, just keep the eggs moving after you kill the heat. I don't do the creme fraiche thing though. I turn the heat off so early that I don't need to stop the cooking. The residual pan heat finishes it and comes out clean. Just like Teflon.

On another note, his Christmas Turkey recipe is the best in the world. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5PFXhdfVT8

I made that for Thanksgiving last year and it blew my mind when I sliced it. I've never had white meat that's so tender.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

OctoberBlues posted:

Yep. It was great. I loved the congealed refried beans and poo poo.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

cnut posted:

go on...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBh_UpWRyRA

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Man the US edition of this show is so bad. Just yelling and screaming.

The UK edition is great. He's genuinely trying to help folks.

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
Have you guys heard of Amy's Baking Company he did a episode that was real funny

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
You guys post like old people gently caress

supernatural blonde
Mar 15, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

KiteAuraan posted:

Seems like there was a lot more than meets the eye about that bunch, australian mafia or some poo poo. It also seems doubtful the dad stole goony son's money.

This link was posted further back but in case you missed it:

https://themillieblog.wordpress.com/2011/11/06/burger-kitchen-on-kitchen-nightmares-exposed/#comment-899

loving lol at goon son's facebook, he's some kind of bdsm 'master'

https://www.facebook.com/david.saffron.7

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Yes chef!

cnut
May 3, 2016

I'm going to change my name to Chef and get a job as a dishwasher or busboy. The comedy would write itself!

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Who's on first?

Slowpoke
Jul 7, 2007

Also, someone drew a sweet Slowpoke that I wanted to buy for an av but lost the image. I think the thread was people drawing Pokemon? I guess? I don't know. If someone could help find it I would love to buy it. Thanks.

Zzulu posted:

You guys post like old people gently caress

Awesomely while saying "Thank you chef"?

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
gordon funny

Drunk & Ugly
Feb 10, 2003

GIMME GIMME GIMME, DON'T ASK WHAT FOR
while his shows reflect what its like to be in a kitchen, unfortunately, i don't see how you can have cameras in front of customers and crew without them changing the way they act while observed

thusly i deem his shows: fake, like all accusations that my penis is NOT at least 6 inches in girth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Drunk & Ugly posted:

while his shows reflect what its like to be in a kitchen, unfortunately, i don't see how you can have cameras in front of customers and crew without them changing the way they act while observed

thusly i deem his shows: fake, like all accusations that my penis is NOT at least 6 inches in girth

Heisenberg's Kitchen

• Locked thread