Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
They didn't motherfucker your blind rear end been sitting there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

You're supposed to pull into the intersection and make the left turn when the light turns red.

I yelled this at a woman in a parking lot about a week ago and she flinched.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Novo posted:

i've adopted a really chilled out driving style as i've gotten older and i still make great time. pretty much every pushy idiot i run across on the highways or off ends up at the next red light with me.

You gotta go fast to have a chance at getting through the light but when it pays out you don't just make it through one light you make it through a bunch of 'em. It only get spoiled when you bang into the next group of Slothful Susans.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

XMNN posted:

last week I was waiting next to a Mercedes at some lights going on to the slip road for the motorway

he pulled away really slowly so I passed him because I was in the outside lane and accelerating normally then merged and moved out into the middle lane

about two minutes later the guy passes me on the inside and pulls out right in front of me so I go over into the outside lane, then he pulls out in front of me again so I just go back in and slow down

then he moves back in front of me and is just driving really aggressively in super heavy traffic on a really dangerous stretch of road as I tried to avoid driving into him/anyone else

which went on for about 5minutes then for some reason when we hit free flowing traffic and could drive fast he goes into the inside lane and starts doing 60 mph

I have no idea what it was about my guess is he didn't like being overtaken by someone driving a smaller car or something to do with all the chemical plants in the area poisoning the locals

There is no such thing as a "super dangerous" stretch of paved road in the United States.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

This never actually happens

The only city I've ever been in where you couldn't somehow time the lights was Vegas.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Kaedric posted:

No... only idiot morons do this. This only makes sense if you can guarantee that the people in the oncoming traffic lane won't ever ever ever run a red light, else your stupid rear end is stuck in the intersection for ages while cross traffic plows into you out of spite.

You're wrong and a baby

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

TheBizzness posted:

About 6 months ago I was waiting to turn left at an intersection that doesn't get an arrow light, just solid green.

The car on the inside lane stopped, so I proceeded to turn, but the dude in the outside lane ran the red light and smashed me.

I was ticketed and he wasn't. Tow truck driver told me he has seen multiple deaths at that intersection. That's my story!!!

Drive better

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

TheBizzness posted:

The police weren't waiting at the intersection which made it my word against his, and as its been stated he had the right of way regardless.

Someone earlier in this thread was saying once the light turns red you're cool to turn left and my story was my way of saying "nah, it's still your fault if you get in an accident".

If you can prove the light is red then it isn't your fault but absent a dash cam or whatever you have to assume he came in on a yellow. Anyway you need to see both lanes stopping not just one before going left but if you're not in the intersection trying to go left you're a scummy fairy pussbag.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Vince MechMahon posted:

I drive for a living and can confirm this is also true in Minneapolis.

In places like Oregon with an extreme amount of zoned out hippies and shithead law loving hicks (who will imagine regulations where there are none) you get person after person stopped behind the line in the left turn lane refusing to go into the intersection and getting into an I'm Being Bullied hysteria when someone tells them to stop being a piece of poo poo.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Also fine: The New York left, where you, being first in line in the left turn lane, bang out out a left just when the light changes before the oncoming traffic gets up to speed to fill the intersection.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

bar88537 posted:

Real question that I need goon advice on. There's an intersection on my commute where the light will never change green unless it's tripped, and the sensor for the trip is much closer to the intersection than you'd expect. About twice a month, someone sits at the intersection too far back and the light never changes. How do I communicate to them that they need to inch forward a bit?

Honking doesn't work cause they think I want them to run the red but I can't think of anything else useful. The situation usually resolves after like 5 min when the person decides to turn right which changes the light for me to go forward.

Double tap honk then when they look in the mirror make a pushing motion. If that doesn't work then it's actual honking time just to make them mad.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Prude posted:

So what the gently caress, from a planning perspective, is the benefit of not installing a left light + left hand turn phase at an intersection?

-cheaper
-not necessary if people drive right, apart from pantwaisted faggots who can't handle this earth, but gently caress them
-you don't have to wait for the red arrow to go green meaning 95% of the time you have to wait less at the intersection
-no turn lane means you don't have to gently caress up the bike lane or parking or whatever if space is tight

You only need a turn light when the volume of traffic turning left is bad enough that the turn lane (or left lane) fills up to a degree that it interferes with traffic going straight in the same direction.

raton fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jun 5, 2016

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Pvt.Scott posted:

Who are they blocking the intersection for? If traffic is currently heading north-south on a green light and both left and right turns are legal and we assume it's one lane, the people behind anyone in the intersection attempting to turn left wouldn't have been getting past that car until it turned left anyway.

Once the lights go red for the direction that had been going, at least around here, there's a quick beat where all the lights are red and someone in the intersection waiting to turn left has time to clear before the light turns green for cross traffic. The reason for idling in the intersection is because it allows more opportunities to turn left and get the gently caress out of peoples' way so everyone can enjoy the terrible urban planning along with you. A lot of the intersections without dedicated left turn lanes and signaled, protected turns in my town, you can squeeze one to three left turns into a light cycle, not counting the gimmie once everyone stops and the holdouts clear the intersection. Maybe it's madness, but we all seem to be used to it.

San Fransisco is great. Just no left turns, ever, from memory. Though that was ten years ago so who knows what the techy shitlords have done around there.

Anyway, yeah, honking in the Midwest is either a sign of near collision or actual collision (you hear a horn followed by crunching if a wreck happens nearby), sometimes, often in small towns and older neighborhoods, a honk can be used at low speeds on uncrowned streets as a casual greeting/attention grabber for pedestrians, or it's a pretty good indicator that you're an out of state rear end in a top hat who needs to chill the gently caress out.

People will pull their cars into the intersection as the light goes yellow even though the traffic ahead is backed all the way back to the intersection and not moving. They are hoping/expecting that traffic to move before the lights cycle and cross traffic gets going (so like in literally two seconds). This blocks the intersection completely for cross traffic, then a block back the people on that street fill the intersection and block it for cross traffic on that block. This is how actual traffic jams form -- not just "oh the traffic is slow" but literally no vehicular motion as the lights cycle over and over.

I'm some large cities they paint trouble intersections with white crisscross diamonds and put a sign saying "don't block the box, $XXX fine." People still do it unless a cop is around though.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Drunk Nerds posted:

- Honking at people who have the right of way. I saw several times people turning on a green light being honked at by someone at a red light who wanted to turn into the same lane.

You can't swing into the lane nearest the curb when you turn left if someone has turned or wants to turn right into it. It doesn't matter if you have the light or not. Fault is decided on which lane contact occurs in -- if the person turning left has swung into the right lane it's their fault, just as it would be if someone in the right lane swung into the left and hit someone already in that lane. People making big Calhoun lefts into the farthest lane because there's a In and Out they want to go to there are the assholes, not the people trying to turn right.

http://articles.latimes.com/1998/sep/25/local/me-26241

California allows turns into any lane when making a left "when safe." It's not safe to turn left into the far lane if someone has made / is making a right turn and is in it.

raton fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Jun 7, 2016

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Drunk Nerds posted:

Interesting. Wish what I saw was that ambiguous: I saw either people making a right honking at left turners moving into a completely different, legal lane, or right turners honking at people making legal u-turns that had to go over into the rightmost lane a little.

Still good to know, though, thanks

You should also be aware that in some other states you are mandated to turn into the nearest lane and make lane charges afterward, so California is actually very lenient about this. It amounts to the same driving in practice but I prefer the way other states phrase the rules because it makes it apparent that a bad lane change is the issue, not a turn into a different lane, whereas the California way of putting it confuses people with a green arrow who think they have rights to any lane they want. The reason other states have it this way, of course, is that there's sometimes no way for a right turning person to know if the left turner has a green arrow or not (sometimes it's obvious but if it's just one car making a left how do you know unless you've memorized the sequence at that intersection?), and right of way is useless if both people aren't able to know who has it.

I would not honk at someone turning left into my lane when I was turning right unless they didn't see me there (but in that case I wouldn't turn to begin with -- I jam into the right lane all the time when other people want to go into it on their arrow and have a free lane to do it into but I always do it in such a way that I either have eye contact so I know they know I'm coming or so I'm in between cars so I have a good shot to make room to avoid them swinging into me), I would probably honk at someone swinging into my lane on a U-turn if they weren't obviously doing it timed behind it in front of me.

raton fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jun 7, 2016

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Roylicious posted:

... is this not the way it is everywhere?

I thought it was but before I posted I checked and in California you are technically allowed to Calhoun into any lane you want on a left turn so long as no one is in the way

This is fine in spirit but leads to people making lefts thinking they have the right to interfere with the traffic flow of people turning right into the near lane when there's a lane they could turn into and not cause other drivers problems.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Relin posted:

i can see how it would confuse due to how i worded it but i mean pulling into the intersection on a left turn at a light (while green/yellow) then sitting in the middle of the 4 way intersection while you wait to turn left, now during a red light

You're supposed to do that dumbass. You have plenty of time to go left once oncoming traffic stops due to their red, as do the two or three people in the intersection behind you. You're loving everything up waiting to turn left from behind the line like a pee drinking woman

Doing this causes no accidents.

raton fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Jun 9, 2016

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

cheerfullydrab posted:

You should only ever have to brake to stop for signs or signals or to not hit people who are driving wrong. You shouldn't ever have to brake when you're just driving. You should be able to look at what's coming along the road and adjust your use of the gas pedal to traverse any section of the road at an appropriate speed. A good fast speed, or at the very least, one that keeps up with traffic.

No, you should be using your brake regularly in traffic. If you aren't you're stringing enough slack into the lineup that its going to gently caress up traffic behind you.

If it's night and there's no traffic you can see that you'll hit the red way down the road and just stop giving your car gas. If there's traffic you need to do the speed limit and catch up to it to make volume on the road for other cars behind you to fill.

People who drive the way you do are what causes most traffic congestion to begin with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Suugn-p5C1M

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

The image caption is poor, but when driving on narrow curvy roads, it's common practice to honk your horn when approaching a curve. It's to let someone that might be on the other side of the curve going in the opposite direction know you are there :D

They do this in mountain roads in Thailand too but it's because Thai truckers think it's normal to use both your lane and the oncoming lane as your space so you can hit apexes better when driving curvy roads, so you're basically begging them not to do this and kill you.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Relin posted:

it varies by area and some states will ticket for it and may have a dont block the box marking, and it lowers visibility etc. one more car length 'saved' isnt going to make much of a difference. and it has lead to accidents around here

No it's always correct to do this. States that prohibit it are wrong and it makes a huge difference in traffic flow.

It cannot possibly lead to an accident. You are literally stopped. Everyone else in the intersection is stopped. Someone would have to suddenly go blind and then stomp on the gas randomly to hit you.

If the turning lane has had enough median removed to make space for three cars and the cars don't go into the intersection on the light those three cars will never move. Then someone will try to pudge into the turning lane space and block one of the oncoming lanes. Doing what you think is the right thing to do royally fucks up traffic and you're a howling idiot and a wuss for defending it.

raton fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Jun 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Dogmeat posted:

He's talking about people who slow down as they execute the merge regardless of the speed of traffic in the lane they're merging into. It's really dumb but I see it constantly.

That shock wave is caused by people hitting their brakes and it then cascading behind them. If you stop worrying about cramming the most cars into the smallest space you can actually get those cars to move at respectable speeds. Traffic isn't caused by there being too many cars on the roads, it's erratic driving that causes the shock waves that are multiplied when lots of people are on the road. It's weird, there are places in LA where you can be in bumper to bumper traffic but everyone is doing 70 mph no problems. Or you can be an a not particularly busy road but the flow of traffic is really slow because some people keep starting little shock waves behind them.

http://trafficwaves.org/trafexp.html

So what you're saying is that the guy I addressed the video to shouldn't drive bizarrely and gently caress everyone up behind him, which is what I said, so ok.

Fitting cars into the space available is exactly the situation you see when cars are a second away from eachother on an LA freeway and moving right along at 70. The putz who thinks you're never supposed to use your brake in traffic is preventing this from happening. Irregularities are inevitable, you pay for them in advance by going fast and staying up with traffic or you pay for them retroactively with a traffic jam as the slack propagates backwards.

raton fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Jun 9, 2016

• Locked thread