Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Yeah, the pink haired kid having a crush on her dad is probably the worst part of the anime/manga. I have no idea who that's for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Like the part where they enter a contest for couples?

Or the hand thing?

They could change the dialogue all they wanted but there's only so much to do with the visuals.

Man, hearing those English names is super weird after growing up with the German dub just using the Japanes names (except Usagi becoming Bunny anyway).

esperterra posted:

Yeah Chibiusa's motivation to become Black Lady is always her huge Mamochan boner.

e: and isn't that fueled by how absent a mother Usagi ends up being, too? She wants her approval but always gets her father's or w/e

In the manga it's also because she was stuck being a six-year-old for the last 900 years and people looking down on her for it, so when Wiseman offered up a turbo puberty she jumped on that chance, hence why evil Chibiusa is also all grown up and stuff. From what I remember in the anime it was just because Wiseman brainwashed memories of people throwing a surprise birthday party of her into people forgetting her birthday and that made her turn evil?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Wasn't there an entire season about Chibiusa smoochin' on a Pegasus?

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

Waffleman_ posted:

Sailor Moon: Y'know what we coulda just done without Chibimoon entirely, thanks

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

a cartoon duck posted:

In the manga it's also because she was stuck being a six-year-old for the last 900 years and people looking down on her for it, so when Wiseman offered up a turbo puberty she jumped on that chance, hence why evil Chibiusa is also all grown up and stuff. From what I remember in the anime it was just because Wiseman brainwashed memories of people throwing a surprise birthday party of her into people forgetting her birthday and that made her turn evil?

Wiseman manipulated her happy memories to make her feel anger, basically. It wasn't just the birthday but it was a part of it. I mean, it's not hard to manipulate a five year old but in the anime it felt a bit less... weird than in the manga. The nine hundred years old thing is so dumb. There was the bit about Chibiusa falling and Serenity and Endymion not helping her up. All of this is turbo weird and don't forget Chibiusa running away because Usagi was ungrateful about her mother's pancakes of all things. All sorts of "Nobody loves you!" in another exercise of Wiseman's manipulations.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Makoto/Jupiter is the best Senshi because she has lightning powers and I don't get the appeal of the Outers. I don't know if my sister ever had a favorite or not.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Waffleman_ posted:

There was at least a movie about it for sure.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

There was at least a movie about it for sure.

Most of SuperS is about Chibiusa making googly eyes at a horse astral projection of some space prince.

The SuperS move is about her making googly eyes at a space pied piper.

Star Man posted:

Makoto/Jupiter is the best Senshi because she has lightning powers and I don't get the appeal of the Outers. I don't know if my sister ever had a favorite or not.

To be fair Uranus and Neptune do have a kickin' rad theme song.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

kefkafloyd posted:

Most of SuperS is about Chibiusa making googly eyes at a horse astral projection of some space prince.

The SuperS move is about her making googly eyes at a space pied piper.

Huh, I must be misremembering some things. Probably because I didn't want to remember, why give the six year old a love intrest at all? Best not to think about it.

My favorite outer sailor scout was Saturn, who actually had a pretty sweet friendship with Chibiusa showing that not everything the pink haired one was involved with was creepy.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I'm suddenly glad the thing I'm watching it on only has the first season.

Kacie
Nov 11, 2010

Imagining a Brave New World
Ramrod XTreme
I didn't really see much Sailor Moon until I was in college, in the anime club. Can't remember if we did all five seasons (or if I bailed out) - but S was great. The director went on to do Shoujo Kakumei Utena (Revolutionary Girl Utena) -- which is my favorite anime of all time. (So yes, I'm probably biased on liking S best.) You can see how he progresses if you watch S and Utena, see him testing and trying things out with S, and going on to really run with them in Utena.

This game - I made it a rather long way through? I want to say 2/3rds, during a rather wretched few months after graduating college, alternating between job application and waiting miserably. I think you heal completely between fights? Which eliminates the tension of grinding a bit more or going back for healing that are in most JRPG's.

I've got enough fond memories of S and just enough curiosity to want to see just where this game finishes -- thanks for LPing this, SCOOB, and godspeed on the grind.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Huh, I must be misremembering some things. Probably because I didn't want to remember, why give the six year old a love intrest at all? Best not to think about it.

My favorite outer sailor scout was Saturn, who actually had a pretty sweet friendship with Chibiusa showing that not everything the pink haired one was involved with was creepy.

Chibiusa is a little older when she returns in S, but not by much, she's like, eight or nine. It still makes Pegasus super creepy.

Honestly I don't have much of a problem with Chibi-Usa in general, the new dub actually comes off as... nice with her. The main problem with SuperS is that it repeats the same basic formula of S but Pegasus and the Dead Moon Circus are a pale imitation of the Death Busters. Without Haruka, Michiru, and the Tomoes to wallpaper over that season's formula (it was VERY repetitive too) it would have gotten annoying very quickly too. On the other hand SuperS has a lot of great character moments for the rest of the inners mixed in with some good music. It was a huge slog, though, I don't begrudge anyone for using an "essentials" list to cut out some episodes.

Time also probably has something to do with it too, it's been fifteen years since I really watched the show, and it turns out that the cloying Chibi-Chibi is far worse and more nonsensical.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

when did all the Scouts gather? I'm trying to remember if it wasn't until S that Uranus and Neptune showed up but I honestly can't remember much past the end of R except the S movie. I think Pluto was in that movie but I can't remember if Saturn was part of the team by then or not

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Everyone arrives in S. R is Chibi and Pluto, S is everyone else who doesn't debut in Stars.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
I remember thinking Saturn was super badass when I was a teenager, but then I was also going through a goth phase back then.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

END ME SCOOB posted:

Everyone arrives in S. R is Chibi and Pluto, S is everyone else who doesn't debut in Stars.

well I'm probably gonna find out anyways, because after the I dunno seriousness(?) of Crystal I long for the absurd camp of the DiC/Cloverway dubs

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Anoia posted:

I remember thinking Saturn was super badass when I was a teenager, but then I was also going through a goth phase back then.

Saturn is cool, goth teenage you was correct.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Kacie posted:

Utena talk

Fun fact: a lot of stuff that ended up in Utena was originally from the plot of a Sailor Moon movie starring Uranus and Neptune which he almost got made.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

EclecticTastes posted:

Having recently watched some of the Sailor Stars arc, I can confirm that Jupiter does eventually get a wood-themed attack, "Jupiter Oak Evolution". This is what this thread has done to me so far.
Her third attack, Jupiter Coconut Cyclone (the Inner Senshi skip their third level of transformation and accompanying attacks in the anime because :shrug:, but the attacks made it into a bunch of games also because :shrug:. Including this one, I believe) is also plant-themed.

(I'm not counting Supreme Thunder Dragon here because it's just a variant of another attack and it got used all of two or three times ever. Which is a shame, because it was :black101: as gently caress).

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

U.T. Raptor posted:

Jupiter Coconut Cyclone

Why are all the attack names in this series so drat silly? Sailor Star Maker's attack is goddamn "Star Gentle Uterus" for gently caress's sake.

Jupiter remains the best Sailor, but still, these attack names are ridiculous.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

U.T. Raptor posted:

(I'm not counting Supreme Thunder Dragon here because it's just a variant of another attack and it got used all of two or three times ever. Which is a shame, because it was :black101: as gently caress).
The Azure Dragon is associated with Wood, so that's even on-theme.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

When I was a child I wanted nothing more out of life than to grow up to become Sailor Jupiter.

Adulthood has been crushingly disappointing in this regard.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Shoot this guy in the face.

Fallen Rib

EclecticTastes posted:

Why are all the attack names in this series so drat silly? Sailor Star Maker's attack is goddamn "Star Gentle Uterus" for gently caress's sake.

Jupiter remains the best Sailor, but still, these attack names are ridiculous.

I will fight you over Shine Aqua Illusion. :colbert:

My introduction to the series came when I was 13. My eight-year-old cousin got me to watch the first episode of the Rainbow Crystal arc (so Jupiter's first appearance in the anime) and I was hooked. As a child I was favoriting Rei due to the fire abilities but as I got older I found myself more and more in Ami's camp.

I also tried this a number of years ago but couldn't deal with the grind past chapter 1. I was a bit more impatient back then.

Between this and the SoT stuff, Scoob, you're a braver goon than I. Godspeed.

Miacis
Oct 9, 2012

Get off my lawn!!

a cartoon duck posted:

Man, hearing those English names is super weird after growing up with the German dub just using the Japanes names (except Usagi becoming Bunny anyway).
We had the opposite end of the spectrum here in France, where almost all the names got changed. Although the translators couldn't seem to decide whether they wanted them to sound French or American. Sailor Moon was Bunny Rivière, Jupiter was Marcy Maurane, Chibiusa was just Camille, Tuxedo Mask was Bourdu (a vaguely-hillbilly sounding last name). Sailor Venus changed name from Amélie to Mathilda a few episodes in.
More interestingly, Sailor Uranus and Neptune were not cousins, but the former blatantly changed from a voice actor to a voice actress whenever she transformed. She was also called Frédéric/Frédérique, which simply made it hard to tell what gender she was.

The dub itself wasn't very well directed, so it was probably a clumsy attempt at keeping the romancy parts with Neptune between a man and a woman. But to lil' kid me, that was the first transsex character I encountered in a piece of media. :)

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Those last two episodes, holy poo poo. You weren't kidding when you said this show gets metal as gently caress. I'm a sucker for a good last stand, and I sure as hell wasn't expecting one from Sailor loving Moon. No way I'm passing on R after that.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
If you want an interesting look at the series, and you're willing to read through a bunch of really long threads, try this on for size.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Oh holy poo poo, this game :allears:

I played the poo poo out of this some years back, and I loved it. Despite it's terribleness. I loved how terrible it was.

Seriously tempted to bust out the emulator and play along now.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
Is there any chance that this..erm...project started its life as an NES game?

The reason I ask is that it seems like an odd choice to waste the already-scant number of snes pixels on that weird border that's there at all times. Also, the spritework is garbage, and it would make more sense if they were originally intended to be NES sprites.

EDIT:

Haaaahahahahahahahahaha

The best part is that the enemy simply called "Combater" doesn't actually engage in combat.

Cathode Raymond fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jun 12, 2016

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Watched the first six episodes of Crystal last night. I can actually forgive the CG transformatio sequences, given that they are a faithful shot-for-shot recreation of the originals. I'm also digging the subtle forshadowing they've got going on with the girls getting past life flashbacks with each other and the Four Kings.

Some of the name changes from the DiC dub to the Viz are taking some getting used to for me. Serena to Usagi was a given, and Amy (Long A-Me) to Ami (Ah-Me) isn't a huge change, and Rei is still Rei. Mina to Makoto is just weird as hell to my gaijin ears.

Speaking of Rei, I remember her characterization in the DiC dub being super tsundere towards Usagi. It weird seing her not being a hot-blooded jerk.

Molly to Naru was kind of disappointing. I miss the bad accent, it added a lot of character Naru is now missing.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So the first thing that happens are three unavoidable battles that kick you up to level 6.

...why was there even a level 1, then? Are they trying to tutorialize people that getting more levels makes you stronger?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

A net positive in the new dub is Ben Diskin as Umino. He's wonderful.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Cathode Raymond posted:

Is there any chance that this..erm...project started its life as an NES game?

The reason I ask is that it seems like an odd choice to waste the already-scant number of snes pixels on that weird border that's there at all times. Also, the spritework is garbage, and it would make more sense if they were originally intended to be NES sprites.

I considered that for a moment but the resolution of the NES and the SNES are actually the same

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

RickVoid posted:

Watched the first six episodes of Crystal last night. I can actually forgive the CG transformatio sequences, given that they are a faithful shot-for-shot recreation of the originals. I'm also digging the subtle forshadowing they've got going on with the girls getting past life flashbacks with each other and the Four Kings.

Some of the name changes from the DiC dub to the Viz are taking some getting used to for me. Serena to Usagi was a given, and Amy (Long A-Me) to Ami (Ah-Me) isn't a huge change, and Rei is still Rei. Mina to Makoto is just weird as hell to my gaijin ears.

Speaking of Rei, I remember her characterization in the DiC dub being super tsundere towards Usagi. It weird seing her not being a hot-blooded jerk.

Molly to Naru was kind of disappointing. I miss the bad accent, it added a lot of character Naru is now missing.

You mean Lita to Makoto. Mina just got her ko back.

Naru being bland and forgotten is why one of the directors made Wakaba in Utena and made her a bigger presence. The same director was also responsible for Rei being tsundere to Usagi, iirc.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah, as has been previously established, Ikuhara shipped them hard.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

Yeah, as has been previously established, Ikuhara shipped them hard.

And yet I feel like the shipping is actually worse in Crystal, because now they both are all dreamy eyed.

I knew one of Venus and Jupiter was Lita and the other Mina. Go figure I got those names mixed up. Not that Makoto and Minako are any better.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Makoto and Minako aren't really similar names at all, minus starting and ending with the same letter. The sounds are very different.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

True but reading and writing is different than hearing them. I can see confusing two names based off of reading them

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

END ME SCOOB posted:

- The game is framed with the "Sailormoon" outline, uh... from now until endgame, if memory serves. It's entirely possible I'll cut that off in future screenshots, but the batch processing for the opening sequence made that hard to do since it only shows up in gameplay. It sticks around in menus, too, so I'm unsure why the heck that decision was made to just cut off chunks of screen.
Probably because they expected the CRT TVs they were developing the game to be viewed on would cut off an uncertain amount of that border themselves. And thus wanted to make sure everything important would definitely be in the viewable area in the laziest way possible.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Like the part where they enter a contest for couples?

Or the hand thing?

They could change the dialogue all they wanted but there's only so much to do with the visuals.

That hand scene sounds like one actor giving her gently caress all :effort: and the other one actually giving a drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013
Something that came up recommended after all these Sailor Moon vids was the english cast reuniting after 20 years
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_u4WtVfDno

Aside from the personal stories, it's interesting to hear about the professional ones, specifically how they were made to dub the lines. I'm sure it was a trend back then, but they basically just got fed the lines and told to spit them out without any real idea of what the show was.

• Locked thread