Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I'd have to play the Japanese version to be sure, but gently caress-ups like 'Lord Apsu' and that one conversation making no sense make me think the translator just translated it as they played, and then never bothered going back and editing it. That was surprisingly common in old fantranslations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also funfact, the translator is clearly a super weeb who wants nothing but adherence to the original Japanese, but they got Michie Tomizawa's name wrong.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The 90s anime got a new dub recently that kept the original names and didn't edit Haruka and Michiru to be cousins, or make any other edits. So in a sense, using the original JP names is canon now.

As for Crystal, the third season is a lot better due to a change in character designs and director, but I still don't really like the manga in a lot of ways. Haruka and Michiru are a lot more fun in the 90s anime.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Makoto towers over the rest of the scouts at a staggering 168cm (5'6").
Japanese people are short as hell. she's got like 4 inches on the average grown woman in japan, and she's young enough to still be growing.

That said, the way people react to her is pretty exaggerated. She's tall but she's not like 5'10'' or something.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Jun 9, 2016

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Crystalgate posted:

I assumed that the dialog was part a JRPG thing, but the scene did make me think that the Sailor Moon girls do talk a lot about boys. As far as who it is for, I pegged Sailor Moon as "probably marketed for girls, but if I had a daughter, I would not want her to watch it". I have since changed my mind towards not making any guess regarding who its marketed towards.
it is marketed for girls, and also it owns for young girls

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

same

also if you want to rewatch sailor moon i really recommend finding one of the watching guides that tells you what episodes are skippable. there's some filler episodes that have interesting character beats or are just hilarious, like the one where Usagi spends the entire episode thinking Seiya (xer not appearing in this game) is hitting on her when actually they're just hanging out. and then there are like seven amazing gifs in a row.

but a fair portion of the filler eps are just kinda there and knowing which ones you can safely skip does wonders for the show's pacing

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Makoto and Minako aren't really similar names at all, minus starting and ending with the same letter. The sounds are very different.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

FractalSandwich posted:

It helps that "Haruka Tenou" is a very "heaven-ish" name, but that's not at all apparent in English.
Honestly, everyone's names are super, super on the nose.

Tsukino Usagi: Moonfield Rabbit or Rabbit of the Moon, depending on if you want to go along with the crappy pun.

Mizuno Ami: durr mizu means water

Hino Rei: God she has like three puns going on. Hino is fire field, my favorite f-zero track, but if you take the no as a possessive particle and flip things a little you basically get Ray of Fire. Also Rei is probably going for the 'spirit' meaning of Rei, referencing her shrine maiden stuff.

Kino Makoto: i bet you didn't notice until now that all the inners have 'no' in their last names. Anyway Kino is wood or tree field. the rest isn't really a pun. funfact, her name was originally mamoru but that's a guy's name so takeuchi changed it.

Aino Minako: ai = love. maybe takeuchi spent all her creativity on Rei.

Tsukino Chibiusa: chibi = small

Tenou Haruka: Tenoh = Sky King. the japanese name for Uranus is Tennousei, so Haruka actually gets what her planet is. Haruka is just distant.

Kaiou Michiru: Kaiousei is the japanese name for Neptune. Sea King. Michiru is rising. Rising to meet the sky? hohohoohhoho.

Tomoe Hotaru: hotaru means firefly. fireflies are often associated with death in japan (see hit film, Grave of the Fireflies). to = earth moe = sprouting. fireflies bury their larvae underground, so you can say that when an adult firefly flies out of the ground, it's sprouting. welcome to the grossest name pun ever.

Chiba Mamoru: chiba = local, but the japanese word for earth is chikyuu. mamoru means protect. his name means Protect the Earth. gently caress off

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Torrannor posted:

Very interesting. What about Pluto?
pretty much just like haruka and michiru.

meiou setsuna: japanese name for pluto is Meiousei, or dark/nether king star. meiou = dark king. setsuna just means moment, because time.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Caphi posted:

I'm not at all into Sailor Moon but I sure do like weird old games, weird old anime, and terrible translations! So I do appreciate the anime and manga explanations.

The Mercury, Mars, and Jupiter last names are also based on the Japanese names of the planets (with the "no" attached). Venus' just uses "love" instead of "metal," as far as I can tell. It goes water, metal, (Earth goes here), fire, wood, earth, sea, heaven, hell.
yeah idk what minako's deal is there. since she had the sailor v prequel that might be why she doesn't quite fit the theme? since she was created separately from the rest

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Yeah, why not keep Minako as the main character? Has Naoko ever mentioned why she decided to make the protagonist Usagi instead?
I imagine it was so she could start it as a new manga to attract new readers?

Randomly introducing a ton of characters into Sailor V or making a sailor V sequel series might make some people go 'oh, I never read sailor v, ill skip that' but if she makes Sailor Moon with a new protagonist who can go through the whole magic cat rigmarole again, new people might pick it up.

This'd also explain why Usagi and Minako are fairly similar personality-wise, if Takeuchi was making a new main character for marketing reasons instead of because she was getting bored with Minako.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jun 15, 2016

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

a cartoon duck posted:

On the topic Haruka calling Usagi dumpling head/odango/whatever, the German dub went with "Mondgesicht", literally translating as "moon face" and meaning something like "having a round/chubby face". Doesn't make a whole ton of sense with Takeuchi's rail-thin characters but at least we got a moon joke in.
believe it or not takeuchi specifically notes in artbooks and stuff that usagi is supposed to be chubby, which, lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

END ME SCOOB posted:

But, Uranus...
Sailor Saturn...
(sighs) Sailor Moon...
Honestly, this is worse translation than getting a real-life person's name wrong and completely mangling conversations. At least those can be attributed to lack of knowledge. This is just completely failing to care about making conversations actually flow and vaguely resemble human interaction. Michiru sitting there reminding everyone of their names just makes her seem like an idiot. It would literally take ten seconds to fix, too!

END ME SCOOB posted:

I don't think so. If it's a trap and we know about it, we just destroy it as we walk in, right?
You can't just pretend it isn't dangerous.
But I want to save Chibi-Usa.
I understand how you feel, but we need to plan -
Even when saving the world, I can't just abandon my friends. A universe without the others... I won't accept it!
(sighs) What am I going to do with you all...

• Locked thread