Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Robindaybird posted:

the first season got off to a pretty terrible start - lots of off-model/terrible animation - and the BD "Fixes" ended up looking worse and Usagi ended up coming off as self-centered and obsessive - but I've been hearing they been improving it a lot since then.

because a few of my friends are HUGE Sailor Moon fans they were all over the new series, so I watched a couple episodes. The transformation CG is so loving weird that I ended up wanting to watch the original instead. That and Ami has no sleeves for some reason, what's up with that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Postal Parcel posted:

DiC dubs were great and I won't tolerate any other opinion.

:hfive: I'm not really a fan of Sailor Moon but my cousin was really into it when the original was new, he also made me watch the...S movie? The one where the world gets frozen and Luna falls in love with an astronomer, many times.

I mean you can tell me how much better Crystal is all you want but that's like saying Dragon Ball Z Kai is better than regular DBZ, it's still DBZ so it's schlocky junk tv regardless.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

I dunno, the story beats are still the same...except that part where all of Queen Beryl's champions also were princes in their previous life and were hooked up with each of the other sailor scouts :gonk: that was something I am sure glad was never in the original

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

here's something I've wondered, since I've watched a few subbed episodes: why did they change words for attacks in the dub? All of the names for attacks were in English so your work was already done for you. That and I didn't know what the hell people were talking about when they would shout "make UP" until much later in life :v:

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Lady Naga posted:

Dragon Ball Z got a different opener in Canada, and it is much worse
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEl9skiNc88

say what you will about the Ocean dub for DBZ but it was loving hilarious...just not for the reasons they intended. Also I laugh at all the people flipping their poo poo over the censoring considering this was done in the era where Spider-Man couldn't beat anyone up and could only web them up

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

hopeandjoy posted:

Admittedly, all that would've taken would be the fantranslators actually translating them by calling them "Opposite Soldiers". Or "Opposite Warriors", but current offical translations.

yeah I notice this a lot in subs and it pisses me off. Words like "senshi" don't get translated, they just call them "Sailor Senshi" in English and...that is not true, they are literally Sailor Soliders what the gently caress.

People always tell me "watching them subbed is better than dubbed" but I beg to differ, when you get stupid poo poo like that in subs I will take a poor dub any day because they honestly put more effort into dubbing than whoever wrote the subs.

Also this LP is going to make me go back and watch the anime again...or try, the last time I tried to watch through the whole series (I actually flipped back and forth between the dub and sub because a lot of episodes were cut early in the run) I got maaaybe 2 or 3 episodes into S and just stopped.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

well everyone keeps saying it gets better after season 1 but that can't be saying too much, that was pretty rough

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

so for the new series did they finally give Ami her sleeves back?

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

huh, well things are certainly different in the Black Moon stuff than I remember. I sure don't remember Rini having an Electra-complex

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

when did all the Scouts gather? I'm trying to remember if it wasn't until S that Uranus and Neptune showed up but I honestly can't remember much past the end of R except the S movie. I think Pluto was in that movie but I can't remember if Saturn was part of the team by then or not

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

END ME SCOOB posted:

Everyone arrives in S. R is Chibi and Pluto, S is everyone else who doesn't debut in Stars.

well I'm probably gonna find out anyways, because after the I dunno seriousness(?) of Crystal I long for the absurd camp of the DiC/Cloverway dubs

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

True but reading and writing is different than hearing them. I can see confusing two names based off of reading them

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

FractalSandwich posted:

Because of this thread, I made a dumb thing for randomly generating magical girl and magical girl-like names for another project I'm working on. I also made a quick-and-dirty Javascript port so you can see it for yourself. It'll give you ten at random each time you reload the page.

Black Girl Maria...I, ok there generator I didn't know you felt that way

However that list also contained Electric Scout Kaori :science:

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

What is this Bejeweled clone y'all are talking about?

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

what have you done thread, what have you dooooooone

wwa266e98

Aces High fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jul 5, 2016

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

berryjon posted:

And Edmonton is the one of the capitals of the world in the latest Gundam series - which is hilarious as I've lived there.

why Edmonton of all places? As someone who grew up there I really want to know who thought it would be believable as a world capital

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Kobanya posted:

I can't seem to get your code to work. :(

derp, the 3 is supposed to be an e, my bad :downs:

wwa266e98

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

BioEnchanted posted:

Just wanted to let you know I'm enjoying the thread. I had no idea how high-stakes the Sailor Moon manga got, the only experience I have with Magical Girl stuff was watching the Cardcaptor Sakura anime, where I only went with the subs because of the US censorship rendering the dub incoherent.

so apparently Nelvana dubbed all 70 episodes but then in North America they could only air 39 (and in random order at that) because........................

90s dubbing is a mystery, especially since it seems like Ranma 1/2 escaped all of that nonsense

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nidoking posted:

As I understood it, whatever network they were airing on (Fox Kids, I think?) wanted Sakura and Shaoran to be more like partners than rivals like they actually were, likely because they didn't think a show with a female lead and no male lead would work for American children. Shaoran doesn't even show up until well into the first season, and there's not a lot of working together until some time after that. So they had to rearrange episodes, splice bits of other episodes together, and probably change most of the dialogue to create the narrative they wanted. They also undoubtedly wanted to remove some of the romantic subtext, since almost every bit of it is between couples that would raise flags with children's television censors.

I do find all of this weird because when I got older and started watching the series again I kept hearing people talk poo poo about this dub, saying it was aired out of order and I was like "what? are you telling me the first episode of the series isn't her dropping a baton and poo poo? that was the first episode I saw when it first aired". But apparently only in the US did they have that 39 episodes poo poo, in Canada we got the whole series from the start

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Lady Naga posted:

Canada got a lot of its own dubs, though coincidentally enough we still only got DIC Sailor Moon.

well considering 2/3 of the VAs were Canadian I mean, why would we not just keep that?

And I will hear no more disparaging of the DBZ Ocean dub, they gave that series the seriousness it deserved, once we ignore the early episode "passing to the other dimension" and stuff

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

what I hate about Drops is that every so often it misreads which way I'm swiping and all of a sudden I'm down to 5 moves because I coulda had a prism if you hadn't moved the other way you stupid game :argh:

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

the journey of Mimet seems to lead to all sorts of interesting places https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2WzIfN9wRA

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

hey Scoob, I think your Mercury fascination may be getting a bit out of hand :v: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHbT3RiuQV8

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

sure it wasn't an amazing job but most of the delivery makes it seem like the VAs are at least having fun saying stupid poo poo. Then you get to S and Super S and it gets a little scary since Cloverway did the localizing in 2 months. Not a lot of time to polish takes so you get really bad poo poo like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJNfzQc7bJg

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

yeah "cousin" power unite...and adoptive child: Uranus, Neptune, and Saturn

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

so I've been wondering, when it comes to the anime how much of Sailor Saturn do we actually get to see? We get a lot of Hotaru and Mistress 9 throughout S but I don't recall seeing her in SuperS and we didn't get Stars in North America

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Anyway Jupiter lost in favor of the boring lesbian :arghfist::(

which boring lesbian https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ojs309aDOzE

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Dariusknight posted:

Incidentally, years later, I got to speak to Terri Hawkes (the most notable voice of DIC Usagi) at a convention here and got her to talk about her experiences voicing a character who became so iconic. Nobody on the cast ever expected the show to ever become as big as it did, and most figured that it wouldn't last for more than a season.

it would be kind of cool if some of the original VAs would've gotten another chance with Viz redubbing the series but apparently Viz Media is taking a scorched earth approach to the DiC/CWI dubs. Reading things like this it kind of makes sense why some delivery of lines falls flat in the original dub but if the attitude around the studio really was that they didn't think Sailor Moon would make it big it makes a kind of :smith: sense.

I always had a profound interest in Sailor Moon as a kid and I think it was because it was all girls as superheroes and since I was a huge fan of X-Men I was all aboard seeing girls be the stars and masters (Xena was also a show the my whole family watched together). However I was bullied a lot when I was in elementary school so I never talked about how cool I thought the show was (or talked about the show period at school) and kind of put the series to the side once it went off syndication (or when I stopped having access to channels it was on, didn't always have cable growing up) until I was a teenager. I think around the time I was 14 I realised that it shouldn't matter what other people think about what I like, for all intents and purposes I should just stop affiliating with those people on a regular basis. I was also meeting other people who openly talked about stuff like Sailor Moon.

Another thing about Sailor Moon that I have talked about a number of times before is that I enjoyed the humour of it, the girls are all teens and so they have their own personalities that shine through in certain ways so sometimes the best parts of an episode would be when everyone is just chilling a Serena's house and talking poo poo to each other or when they have spats when facing the monster-of-the-week. I guess I just liked the show because it really felt like kids being superheroes, they would gently caress up and then get a pep talk and go out and kick rear end immediately. It was a nice change from other superhero shows where everyone is already an adult and if there are kids or teens present they're on the sidelines except for their one special episode.

Amy's still my favourite, but that's probably because her sheepish nature and super modesty is how I was raised (well, raised to be modest, acted sheepish as a result because of other crap in my childhood) but when poo poo gets real she can be kind of terrifying, case in point https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBmrbQWSO-0

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

eh, whatever I'm more focused on the Rei event that just dropped (unless it's already done for the Japan version)

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

I have no strong feelings so you can choose for me Scoob.

Also this thread has a) gotten me addicted to SMD b) gotten me to watch the dubs again (although that is also shared with Sailor Moon Says) and now c) has introduced me to Sailor Business. Stop taking away my precious time Sailor Moon :argh:

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Scoob I have been wondering since the beginning of this thread:

what's the story behind your name, pic, and text?

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

END ME SCOOB posted:

Sometimes your franchise just needs a big gay vampire.

well riddle me this Michelle

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

next event probably won't be for another couple days and it looks like we're getting Halloween Michelle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

you don't do well in Race Against Time? I find those to be the easiest ones since you can chain for eternity without having to worry about running out of moves. Now plate monsters, those guys can gently caress right off

• Locked thread