Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
Man, I was just shamefully invested in Sailor Moon back when I was about nine years old until I was around twelve (however long it took for them to get to the end of the Sailor Saturn storyline). I never missed an episode back when it was running on Cartoon Network in the late nineties and early aughts, I'll admit it was something of an obsession at the time. When I tried watching it more recently, though, I can't seem to recall what I liked about it. It might be that because the vast majority of kid-focused media at the time was episodic in nature (especially on the two "main" kid channels of Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network), I just ate up anything that presented an ongoing storyline that called for even a small amount of personal investment (I recall seasons 3+ of Reboot and Pirates of Dark Water also being must-see series for me at the time, as some non-anime examples). It was certainly unlike anything I'd seen up to that point. It marked my descent into semi-weebdom (I only say "semi" in that I never had a "rejects all other forms of entertainment/animation as inferior" phase) that lasted right up until high school, when the plots of Naruto and Bleach stalled out and stopped giving screentime to any of the interesting characters, and I realized that lots of anime is actually bad and I should maybe exercise discretion instead of wasting my time on crap.
:goonsay:

Anyway, embarrassing anime confessions aside, I look forward to seeing where this game is going. I remember the overall plot of Sailor Moon making very little sense but making every little thing seem vitally important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Robindaybird posted:

Man, The Pirates of Dark Water was so cool, but they never finished the show, story aside, just the general aesthetics wasn't like anything else on TV - and the ships were just amazing.

I think least for me and lot of other girls at the time is this was a show where the girls did all the fighting and protecting, when other shows you have maybe at best two token female members at best and tend to get kidnapped/put in distress more than the guys.

Yeah, that was the big draw for boys, too, in a much different sense. In sixth grade, I recall some of the other boys in my class that watched it pretty bluntly admitting they watched it solely because it was about girls in miniskirts and stuff. Kind of left me the odd man out, since while young me did enjoy that part (I may have had a small crush on Sailor Jupiter :negative:), I was in it mainly for the story.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

One wonders what lovely anime dubbers' obsession with making specific characters sound like they're from Brooklyn is all about. Between Molly, Joey Wheeler from Yu-Gi-Oh, and the 4Kids version of Sanji from One Piece (among others I'm likely unaware of), that's a lot of completely out-of-place New York accents.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

RickVoid posted:

Is this now the Sailor Moon confession thread?

Chalk me up as another young boy who was just as into the show for the chicks in mini-skirts as I was for the insane plots and, yes, the will they won't they romance.

And yeah, the DIC dub did a really lovely job of trying to hide that Uranus and Neptune were loving.

If anything, DiC made it worse by claiming they were cousins, because it added a disturbing new dimension to the remaining romantic overtones. DiC was just not very good at what they did, in any respect.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

You know, call me crazy, but speaking of poo poo this game "borrowed" from Chrono Trigger (such as dual/triple techs), the general proportions and effort put into shading the character sprites in this game looks pretty reminiscent of Chrono Trigger, which would immediately explain why Luna and Artemis look so cheap (the cats in Chrono Trigger were also oddly simplistic in their coloration compared to their surroundings, though they had the advantage of not being completely monochromatic).

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Didn't Darien Mamoru get, like, double-amnesia once in the second arc and his lost memories turned into Minwu from Final Fantasy 2? Sailor Moon's goddamn weird.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

ddegenha posted:

I think that nearly killed me, from the starting guitar riffs to the hard-core action sequences accompanying the music and trying with considerable success to make the show look bad rear end.

Also, I completely blame this LP for causing me to end up humming the original Sailor Moon opening at work today. It's amazing the things that being a teenager in the 90s embedded in your brain.

I only recently learned that the American opening theme is the actual melody for one of the Japanese intros. Too bad DBZ got stuck with the generic buttrock (still better than most Toonami series, they didn't get their OPs played at all).

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Lady Naga posted:

Dragon Ball Z got a different opener in Canada, and it is much worse
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEl9skiNc88

:stare:

That... that sure is an attempt at music, there.

So, I decided to hit up Hulu and watch some Sailor Moon, and it turned out there was a story arc that never aired on Toonami (the one with the Sailor Starlights where the bad guys are Sailors that turn people in fake Sailors and everything is Sailors), and that's how I've just learned of Sailor Chibi Chibi Moon. It's like they looked at Rini Chibiusa and were like "Eh, let's make a smaller and even more annoying version of that". Also, I looked it up and there are way more Sailor Soldiers than I realized, and the continuity makes next to no sense. Though, I can understand that, given that any long-running comic that makes frequent use of time travel inevitably sees that entire portion of its continuity collapse into incomprehensible nonsense (SEE: X-Men, particularly the many alternate versions of Nate Summers).

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

MechaCrash posted:

Makoto's elemental association of wood does sort of come through. Aren't there oak leaves when she uses some of her attacks? I know in the live action one they had her do some magical sensing thing and showed trees rustling in the wind.

Having recently watched some of the Sailor Stars arc, I can confirm that Jupiter does eventually get a wood-themed attack, "Jupiter Oak Evolution". This is what this thread has done to me so far.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Crystalgate posted:

I don't need to imagine that, that was the case for me. I have beaten the game, but I've never seen the anime or read the manga. Other than this game, the most exposure I've had is one and a half minute of cartoon where the girls tried to out-squeak Cream the Rabbit.

I assumed that the dialog was part a JRPG thing, but the scene did make me think that the Sailor Moon girls do talk a lot about boys. As far as who it is for, I pegged Sailor Moon as "probably marketed for girls, but if I had a daughter, I would not want her to watch it". I have since changed my mind towards not making any guess regarding who its marketed towards.

To be fair, they do talk about boys quite a bit in the original anime, just not so much that they'll ignore that all their old enemies seem to be coming back.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Acne Rain posted:

So I have a question
Why are these characters called sailors. There are no sailboats so far in the game, I've never seen anything with them sailing anything :confused:

The most common form of Japanese schoolgirl uniforms (with the white-on-blue scheme) are called "sailor clothes" because they were based on the British Royal Navy's uniform at the time, most notably the collar and the ascot. So, yeah, it's just because Sailor Moon, et al are wearing Japanese schoolgirl outfits some dude in the 1920s decided to base off a foreign Naval uniform.

e:fb

EDIT: I was just watching an episode of Sailor Moon (174, in case anyone wants to see for themselves), and I paused to check out something in English Ami was printing out. Best decision I made all day. Usagi. Usagi! USAGI!

EDIT2: Oh, wait, just to add to it, as she handed it off, Ami identified it as astronautics data from Columbia University she downloaded from the internet. And offers to translate it! Guess English is her weak subject and she's just too proud to admit it.

EclecticTastes fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jun 9, 2016

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Color Printer posted:

The past and the future have changed places.

:psyduck:

I assume it's something like this.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Poil posted:

Hmmm, the opposite of sailors are landlubbers, aren't they? Landlubber Moon?

The opposite of the Navy is the Air Force, I think. Pilot Moon?

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Endorph posted:

same

also if you want to rewatch sailor moon i really recommend finding one of the watching guides that tells you what episodes are skippable. there's some filler episodes that have interesting character beats or are just hilarious, like the one where Usagi spends the entire episode thinking Seiya (xer not appearing in this game) is hitting on her when actually they're just hanging out. and then there are like seven amazing gifs in a row.

but a fair portion of the filler eps are just kinda there and knowing which ones you can safely skip does wonders for the show's pacing

I just watched that episode, since I'm working my way through Sailor Stars (it never got dubbed for Toonami). I second that it's pretty hilarious. I'm starting to remember why I liked this series when I was a kid, though not quite to the same degree (I don't think I'm as enthusiastic about anything as I was about Sailor Moon back then).

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

U.T. Raptor posted:

Jupiter Coconut Cyclone

Why are all the attack names in this series so drat silly? Sailor Star Maker's attack is goddamn "Star Gentle Uterus" for gently caress's sake.

Jupiter remains the best Sailor, but still, these attack names are ridiculous.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

there wolf posted:

I don't know why Babylonian mythology is the evil one, but I feel like I missed the chance to write a bullshit college essay on cultural imperialism about it.

I'm no theologian, but the Babylonian pantheon was the primary rival faced by early Judaic people, so they ended up portrayed in Judaic mythology as demons and such, which ended up tainting their reputation in modern pop culture as that trickled down through the thousands of years and two major offshoot religions. Plus, when it comes to obscure Judaic lore, anime and Japanese games have way the hell more of it than you'd expect (a good way to get blackout drunk is to play a drinking game of watching different anime and spotting the Kabbalah Tree of Life), I wouldn't be surprised if the Opposito Senshi were, in fact, named more for the Judaic interpretations of the Babylonian pantheon than for the original pantheon.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

When you think about it, Trump is basically Queen Beryl.

Wow, somebody has a very low opinion of Queen Beryl.

By the way, been watching Sailor Stars and, thinking about it, just how much magical crystal crap is inside a person's body? Star Seeds, Heart Crystals, pretty sure there were one or two other things, it's like people are just macguffin pinatas in the Sailor Mooniverse.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

KataraniSword posted:

But those macguffins are what allow said people to feel feelings, apparently, since there's always got to be some sort of emotional impetus to withdraw those items.

Without Star Seeds, we'd all apparently turn into wacky Sailor Senshi caricatures of our respective professions or favored hobbies, so I guess we should be thankful for them.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

FractalSandwich posted:

Excuse you, that's "sei naru Nihongo".

Sailor Moonspeak. :buddy:

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

In maybe related news, Chibi-Usa is real.

:stare:

Turns out anime was real all along.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Oh god, the obligatory "dude who has ideas about women" for Jupiter's sub-chapter is gonna remind her of her "old boyfriend" who I kinda think never existed in the first place, isn't he? I mean, at least they commit to the lame running gag.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Robindaybird posted:

God drat it, add me to the pile: ww2365311 - same username as here.

Given how rarely Canada's used outside of North America, it'd be interestin to see what Japan thinks Canada is.

According to G Gundam, it's nothing but lumberjacks. :canada:

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Edvarius posted:

But of course. Besides the ones already mentioned there was the single best monster of the week the show ever had, though sadly he didn't show up until the fifth season, which only recently made it's way officially to the US. I am of course talking about...

SAILOR GUTS!

I only recently saw that and it was pretty glorious. It's too bad none of the other men who got turned into Fake Sailors looked anywhere near this silly.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Venus' sub-chapter is obviously starting with a fakeout and the bullshit will commence shortly. There are three things that serve as evidence of this:

1. She hasn't found her second piece of gear, and a game this formulaic would never break from the established pattern by placing it in a later chapter.

2. As bland as the game is, the devs clearly have a basic grasp of RPGs, so they're clearly going to give you a chance to grind Venus' level.

3. Scoob already said Jupiter's story was the best. If Venus' story was really just two minutes long, you can bet that would be the hands-down favorite of anyone to come in contact with this game.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

For my vote: END HIM SCOOB

Also, yeah, he was so fine in the anime that he actually went back to raising Hotaru himself during the brief filler arc that kicked off Stars where Nehelenia came back and stuff, though for the rest of Stars, Hotaru was seen more or less exclusively with the other Outer Sailors, which silently implied the manga's "they adopt her" angle, which I assume wouldn't have sat well with the mainstream audience at the time, had it been made explicit (mainstream Japanese society is rather socially conservative, by all available information).

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Jupiter, Uranus, and Neptune. Best Sailors all day every day.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

FractalSandwich posted:

I don't know what a Superflat enthusiast is, but I think I feel the same way

Superflat is a style of post-modern art that's become big in Japan, and the animation team for Madoka drew a lot of inspiration from the movement when designing the Witches.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

RMZXAnarchy posted:

So we ended up with the exact same team as last time except we exchanged a meat shield for the exact opposite of that.

It's got Jupiter and three of the four Outers, that's pretty much the best possible team, mathematically speaking.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Ryushikaze posted:

Artemis's lover and its sequels have been mentioned.

This sounded so familiar, until I finally remembered where I'd heard of it. Back when I used to watch stuff from Channel Awesome (back then it just just That Guy With the Glasses), my favorite series there was Masterpiece Fanfic Theater (where a guy did dramatic readings of bad fanfic, he even got LittleKuriboh in to do character voices for a Yu-Gi-Oh fic), and Artemis' Lover was featured in one episode. It was gloriously terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Jupiter and Mercury

Your favorite sailor, and everyone else's favorite sailor. Fair compromise.

• Locked thread