Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
I have played this game and it's funny enough my only experience of the Sailor Moon franchise. I think the premise of it is that girls with sailor inspired shirt, miniskirt, heels and hosed up leg to body length ratio are given superpowers and have to protect the world or something. Actually, I think the outfits are part of the superpowers for some reason. In this game there's a new entity that will both be the heriones' greatest enemy and ally, the damage algorithm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
My experience with Super Sailor Moon is that it does buff her stats, but she will still not hit as hard as the more offensively inclined characters and she looses her healing. Not that you need her healing spell, healing items soon becomes very cheap.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
The damage algorithm is that weird. Even if you have something like 87 attack or defense, just two more points make a very noticeable difference. Couple that with characters who have vastly different stats. Not even Final Fantasy games have that out of control damage algorithms.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012

quote:

So, let's just take a look at this. I want you to imagine that you have never dealt with this franchise before. Admittedly, you'd probably not be in that state going into this game. But pretend you have. This scene was straight up what every young idiot who went "Sailor Moon is for girls" was imagining in their head, and for some loving reason this is the very first thing we do to introduce our party.
I don't need to imagine that, that was the case for me. I have beaten the game, but I've never seen the anime or read the manga. Other than this game, the most exposure I've had is one and a half minute of cartoon where the girls tried to out-squeak Cream the Rabbit.

I assumed that the dialog was part a JRPG thing, but the scene did make me think that the Sailor Moon girls do talk a lot about boys. As far as who it is for, I pegged Sailor Moon as "probably marketed for girls, but if I had a daughter, I would not want her to watch it". I have since changed my mind towards not making any guess regarding who its marketed towards.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
Hitting the defend command also makes a huge difference, its like a 95% damage reduction. Having more defense makes a huge difference as well. I'm a bit surprised this LP even talks about hitpoints, pretty soon I stopped looking at the HP scores of the characters. If they have high defense, they are durable and if they have low defense, they are squishy, regardless of what their HP is. It tends to be so that characters with high HP has low defense, so having a high HP score is almost a sign of squishyness. That said, I don't remember noticing that early in the game, so maybe this isn't a thing this early in the game.

quote:

I call bullshit, Haruka's first reaction to this would be "SOMETHING'S WRONG, FIRE AT WILL"
There are a lot of JRPGs where the playable characters should take that attitude. I don't know in how many games a villain is taunting them and you know he/she will pull something, but the heroes seem content to engage in a moral debate until the trap is sprung rather than immediately attacking.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
Speaking of Chibiusa, her presence is bad news for Usagi. Usagi is fifteen or fifteen'ish, an age where you don't need a child. On the other hand, if you as an adult do decide to have a child, chance is you want to keep that child, not have it disappear for some time or forever. Every day Chibiusa spends with present Usagi is a day future Usagi will miss out on. The other alternative is that future Usagi does not want her child, but then there's a problem for other reasons. Either way, Chibiusa's presence should be a constant reminder for Usagi that she will face a serious problem in the future.

Well, the Sailor Moon series doesn't seem to go with "everything will be rosy", so I guess that makes sense.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
If Chibi-usa doesn't grow up, that solves the problem of future Usagi missing out on her daughter growing up. It also solves the problem of Chibi-usa's childhood being an insignificant part of Usagi's life and such she is spared from having to keep producing a ridiculous number of children (who would either die before her or also be immortal and face the same dilemma with needing tons of children) if she wants her motherhood to be a significant portion of her life. Freezing chibi-usa's age will have some problems, but I suspect the alternative would be worse. Mixing immortality with having children does have its complications.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
Venus' chapter is the one I have the most memory of and it's not because of a positive reason.

Anyway, I don't recall having to grind that much. I did hit the frame skip button whenever I was grinding, so that shortened the amount of time a lot, but the money count in this LP is way above what I had. I recall not always being able to buy whatever I wanted from shops during the single character chapters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
Something is definitely up with the difficulty. I clearly remember not being level 99 and I had no big problem with the opposite senshi. Either I played a version where the translator also nerfed the enemies or you're playing a troll version. I do however remember filling up every accessory slot that didn't contain a character specific accessory with defense boosting ones. Looking at the screenshot with the Sin fight, it seems to me that the characters with a natural high defense are actually taking the highest damage, so there's definitely some accessory shenanigans going on here. However, if that's the case, then the higher levels (60+ or so) have to give a low stat boost since otherwise the extra levels would have compensated for the lacking defense accessories.

• Locked thread