Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Edvarius
Aug 23, 2013

FractalSandwich posted:

If you told me she was destined to be the immortal god-queen of humanity I'd think you were making poo poo up to screw with me. That's so silly. Is it always shown directly like it is here, or is it normally only stated and you have to take their word for it? It's the first I've heard of any of this Neo Queen Serenity Silver Milennium Crystal Tokyo time travel poo poo. It's so stupid, I love it.

The second season/second manga arc is about Princess Usagi Small Lady traveling 1000 years into the past to steal Sailor Moon's Silver Crystal because Neo-Queen Serenity's Silver Crystal suddenly disappeared (she wasn't aware at the time that they were the same person) , and rebels from the 10th planet Nemesis used that as an opportunity to nuke the Neo-Queen from orbit. Chibi-Usa traveled though time by making sad puppy dog eyes at Sailor Pluto, the eternal guardian of the Gates of Time and the Underworld. Meanwhile the rebels chase her down using time machines, and try to mess up the past while they're at it. And yes, the heroes do eventually travel to the future to continue the fight there, and Sailor Moon gets to see her future self (though Serenity is in a coma at the time) and get all of this stuff explained to her. There is much blushing on the parts of her and Tuxedo Mask when they discover that yes, they will be having sex, and a child will be the result of it.

And honestly? The storylines after that are even more insane.

Anyway, thoughts on this game. This game isn't very good, though to be fair it isn't the worst anime licensed RPG I've played (that would be the Inuyasha RPG on the DS), and while most of the plot is just irritating and stupid there are a couple of interesting ideas and characters here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edvarius
Aug 23, 2013
I'm in the ranks of those that prefer the original anime to the manga. The anime characters just have so much more depth to them, both heroes and villains. Not to mention far better humor (the anime version of Professor Tomoe has got to be one of the most enjoyable mad scientists ever). And unfortunately when Crystal was made it seemed like every change they did make from the manga was for the worse. Though I'm only going by the Dark Kingdom stuff as far as that goes. I keep telling myself I need to watch the first episode of the Infinity arc to see if they kept Tuxedo Uranus but it's hard to work up the motivation when season one sucked so badly.

Edvarius
Aug 23, 2013

END ME SCOOB posted:

She's also sort of a pacifist, fighting in self-defense, but generally being the one who goes "Hey how about we hear so-and-so out before we all summon elemental death, what do you say".

To be fair, none of the girls are ever happy about asking the one whose element is Death to do anything.

Edvarius
Aug 23, 2013
I wouldn't say Minako becomes dumber, she just has a tendency to think with what she's got between her legs, and is active while Usagi is more lazy and weepy.

Edvarius
Aug 23, 2013

ddegenha posted:

Also, now I'm kind of wishing that a game like this had a little stealth section where you actually have to follow your friend around on their date and hide behind plants and other random objects.
Tempting an idea as that is, it would sadly have to contend with the fact that you'd have to pull off the same kind of stealth shenanigans the girls would use on each other, and that would be more than a little difficult.

I mean, how could you ever expect players to pull of these kind of maneuvers?

Edvarius
Aug 23, 2013
I can only assume that Saturn's leveling mechanic and stat growth is not her becoming more powerful, but getting better at holding back without completely nerfing herself. Because seriously, this is the magical girl equivalent of the Death Star we're talking about here.

Edvarius
Aug 23, 2013
This game may have some pretty crap writing (though how much of that is a piss poor translation I am now unsure of), but I will give it credit for having some interesting ideas in there, even if they're bungled in the execution. The neat idea in this update is the tempting dreams of what the villains could arrange for the heroes if they allow them to alter fate/destiny/whatever. Specifically Venus' dream, where the big desire they try to tempt her with is... never having been Venus. There's just something incredibly sad about that.

Of course the thing they tried to get Sailor Moon with was just stupid, as she was already fated to wind up with Mamoru. I mean their future daughter was standing right there.

Edvarius
Aug 23, 2013

I feel like a youma just punched me in the soul.

Anyway, Nabu. The reason given for her joining Team Evil is an... interesting one. On one hand, yeah, it's understandable that somebody wouldn't feel comfortable placing their trust and lives in some object that absolutely nobody understands. They don't know how it works, or why, or for what purpose, or for how long. So I could see her wanting to actually study the thing, come up with some answers, find alternatives, something like that. It's deciding to mess with time to destroy the basis of her society because of unanswered questions that is weird.

As for the boss fight with her, I remember this one being a huge pain. In the end, while enough grinding made it so I could beat her eventually, it still wound up being the equivalent of a couple of nerd girls sloppily slapping in each others general direction with one arm trying to protect their face with the other.

Edvarius
Aug 23, 2013

Lady Naga posted:

Well I'm gonna run a Big Eyes, Small Mouth campaign...

In a mecha setting :negative:

Well if you really have your heart set on a magical girl-like game you might still be able to pull of something vaguely Nanoha-ish.

Edvarius
Aug 23, 2013
Moonlight Knight might have been more than a bit weird, but at least it led to the funny moment of Sailor Moon being positive Moonlight Knight and Mamoru were the same person, only for Mamoru to show up at the same time as Moonlight Knight and ask who the weirdo in the lame costume is.

Edvarius
Aug 23, 2013

queserasera posted:

It looks like all of Sailor Moon's enemies from the show are sexy lady/common object hybrids. Is there a reason for this other than anime? Are there any male youma or are they all female?

But of course. Besides the ones already mentioned there was the single best monster of the week the show ever had, though sadly he didn't show up until the fifth season, which only recently made it's way officially to the US. I am of course talking about...

SAILOR GUTS!

Edvarius
Aug 23, 2013

TurnipFritter posted:

One aspect of Crystal that was kinda nice was how it painted Ami/Makoto/Rei as outcasts that Usagi brought together as friends. It's a good concept, you know, to have Usagi as this super friendly person that brings people together and makes them feel like they belong. Unfortunately they didn't really execute it very well, so it ends up being "Usagi is nice to them in their first episode and then never speaks to them again."

The movie for the second season of the first anime did the same thing. The villain claimed that the Sailors could never understand the kind of loneliness he suffered, only for them to flashback to how lonely they all were before Usagi entered their lives.

Edvarius
Aug 23, 2013
While this game has some pretty horrible writing, I do like the concept of Sin. She's actually got a reason to be royally pissed off at the royalty. And while Anshar isn't much of a character I find it fascinating that unlike the others Apsu didn't give him any power. He's just naturally a nearly Sailor-level time mage. Which really makes me wonder just why. <Warning: stupid fan theory beyond this point> I mean, that kind of power isn't likely to just show up out of the blue, and for some reason he has green hair just like the Sailor's time expert. So maybe they're related. Now I doubt that Pluto is the kind of person to sleep around and then just dump an accidental baby on somebody's doorstep. However she's explicitly referred to as "the daughter of Chronos" in the chant to open the path to the Gates of Time Chibi-Usa uses, and let's face it, Mediterranean gods weren't exactly known for keeping it in their pants.

Basically, I think Chibi-Pluto is regular Pluto's half brother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edvarius
Aug 23, 2013
Doorknobdar is kind of tragic in that Sailor Moon didn't actually mean to kill her. She aimed the attack at the witch giving orders rather than the monster, but it got deflected and blew up Doorknobdar anyway.

Regarding Snow Kaguya, the movie with her in it was all kinds of weird as it had Luna crushing on the crazy guy who gave Kaguya her name. I can't really recommend it, except for one part, where Tuxedo Mask makes what was probably the best entrance of his career.

Finally as to the events in this particular update, I do like how the game shows that no, Sailor Moon isn't forcing people to be good with some mind control thing she calls healing. Moon Healing Escalation didn't do a thing to Sin. It's also interesting that while all of the other Opposito Senshi were being controlled or corrupted by dark magic to some extent, Sin really does just hate Sailor Moon/Neo-Queen Serenity that much.

• Locked thread