Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Pickled Tink posted:

In my own first run I tended to knock out way too many people. I think the knocking people out with a neural disruptor animation is just so great and did it every chance I got. Now you are saying that is a bad idea? I am sad.

Deeeeeeeepends.

In general, I am very pro-guardKOs, you remove a patrol and you get to loot his body. You can also do a naughty trick where you knock a guy out, pick him up, then move him on top of another knocked out guard. This keeps them both pinned at the cost of forcing an agent to stay in one place. If you can afford it, not a bad strategy! You get rid of two annoyances and get some breathing room for shenanigans.
Unconscious bodies can also make for an excellent distraction when it's time to peace out. Guards tend to not get far when they stop every three seconds to examine unconscious friends. Of course this makes your alarm level go up like loving whoah so you better get going while the going's good.
And of course don't do that to Omni Harbingers. I learned that the hard way :stonklol:

Also, it depends on the mission. Nanofarb, mainframe, vault? gently caress it, go nuts. CEO access hijack? Bad idea since you need to putz around for like 5 turns and you DO NOT want your alarm to rise too high before your hack finishes.

Of course if you're playing on Expert Plus the situation changes. +1 Alarm increase per knockout means zapping people willy nilly becomes infeasible.

ALARM LEVEL INCREASED. SECURITY UPGRADED. MORE ICE TO BREAK.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Jun 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah that right there would have been the perfect time to use the double pin trick. Gladstone wasn't doing anything useful, 2 alarm segments would have been a small price to pay and you'd avoid most of the guard tango.

Well done nevertheless though!

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Bifauxnen posted:

For the double pin trick, do you have someone still holding the 2nd body up while you drag them over the 1st one? I remember getting to pin 2 guards once before sort of by accident, probably on an old Endless (standard) run where I was knocking people out willy-nilly. But I must have convinced myself it was a bug or something and forgot about it by the next time I was knocking out exactly 2 guys again.

In the later days of my Endless run that made it all the way to day 10, I was usually knocking out way more people than that. Gladstone would get these paralysis farms going... :getin:

Yep that's exactly it.
1) Knock out dude with one agent
2) Knock out a second dude who walks by (probably with another agent due to the 2 turn KO limit)
3) Have Agent One pick up the second dude's body
4) Get Agent One to stand on the first dude while still carrying the body
5) Both guards are now pinned as long as the agent stands there. (though make sure your agent is hidden because if anyone finds them, you're not getting out of there easily.)

I'm interested in what you do with Gladstone, she seemed pretty mediocre except for like Faust Brimstone gimmick runs. Though I'm a dirty loving casual who relies on Xu.

Fedule posted:

Honestly the brevity of the campaign is perfect for ironmanning, especially combined with the near complete lack of RNG. Much better for it than Fire Emblem or Xcom or whatever.

This exactly. The game even gives you A for effort if you lose.
Also, if the OP is okay with it, this guy shows that's it's totally possible to Expert Plus Ironman the campaign with a totally fresh file and the default team: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwX6zqCWXiA

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jun 12, 2016

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Started a run on Expert Ironman (I have regrets already, I am nothing without my rewinds) on vanilla Invisible Inc (don't have cashbucks for DLC for now). I got a false start, but the second time was the charm.
Currently on Day 2 with Xu, IntNat and Prism (this will be interesting, I never used her before). I'm rocking Fusion and Parasite and Shopcat has been rather unkind to me thus far.

Standard Disruptors on Xu and Internationale (though IntNat has the Cooker rifle I bought in case poo poo happens) but Prism has Volt Disruptor II.
I also have a smoke grenade and a buster chip. I guess I'll go Keycard Mission -> Money Vault (hopefully) ->Cybernetics lab/Server Farm (haha dealing with Daemons with only 2 programs gently caress me :suicide:) ->Nanofab and then we'll see how it goes.

I also have another detention center mission, though I'm not sure I want another agent.

EDIT: Also, re:Nika Chat, here's my experience with Nika on Experienced:

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Jun 13, 2016

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Welp hosed up that run :v:

Xu and Internationale now on Day 2 and oof. I got no detention centers, I got a Financial Suite and a Vault so that could potentially turn my fortunes around. I got a shitton of security dispatch missions, but eh. And I got a few cybernetics lab. My current idea is to go cybernetics (mod out agents with whatever drops. gently caress it, free is free)->Financial->vault->???

Hopefully I'll find something before Day 3 because goddamn I do not like playing with just two people.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

We've only just begun :unsmigghh:

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

It gives the agent like 3 more AP for that turn, and it has a huge cooldown, something like 9 turns.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I call her "Plan B"

I've actually been having really rotten luck this run. Some good augments but NO Financial Suit missions or Server Farms. I did get Ping and Hunter though, and a security dispatch coughed up a Volt Disruptor III. Gonna see how this vault and subsequent nanofab goes. I am hurting for instant hacks though. Parasite only goes so far.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jun 17, 2016

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Keldulas posted:

Well count me as one who got interested in the game from what I saw initially. Currently trying out a campaign run, loads of fun. Also, I was frustrated about the lack of vault cards, thought they were a random drop. Oops.

Yeah the game does not explain them very well at all. And the random nature of the missions means you could potentially get screwed out of ever finding one.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Lucky duck. Net Downlink is one of the best augments in the game since you always wanna be hacking something.

ALARM LEVEL 6. ELITE ENFORCERS INBOUND. THEY WILL BE YOUR DEATH.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

dscruffy1 posted:

I've played the game approximately once on Easy all the way through the campaign after buying it at launch on a whim. I plan on picking up the DLC and getting into it while I'm on a business trip in a few weeks, between this thread and the ironman expert+ videos someone posted a bit back, I'm getting an itch to STICK IT TO THE MAN.

If you're thinking of trying it again, play it on Expert with 99 Rewinds and try not to use any. Easy mode puts a lotta training wheels on the game, namely the Simplified Guard Patrol option and credit rain erryday. Expert will give you some good habits and the rewinds will help you correct any mistakes. I'm not super into roguelikes cause I always find starting from scratch to be super discouraging, and the rewinds help a lot to alleviate that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Dude don't use Imgur, use LPix with the Rightload add-on. It's way easier :)

http://lpix.org/

http://rightload.org/

http://lpix.org/rightload_v1.4.2.rar

• Locked thread