Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
If the option exists to, via noninvasive gene therapy, eliminate disease and genetically inherited sickness and deficiency, and even improvements like limited calorie absorption which would lead to a healthier and more economically verdant society, are we not ethically and morally obligated to utilize said option?

Basically, if the capability to improve humanity exists by our own intervention, is there any cogent argument to be made for keeping around "God's children" or those who would undoubtedly steadfastly refuse such helpful interventions, ala vaccines?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

I would say yes because there are already too many loving people I have to deal with

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009
Only if access and treatment are distributed equally among the population otherwise rich people would become a new subspecies and there would be a formalized slave race in those who could not afford treatment thanks for listening

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
gently caress off nazi

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Boomstick Quaid posted:

Only if access and treatment are distributed equally among the population otherwise rich people would become a new subspecies and there would be a formalized slave race in those who could not afford treatment thanks for listening

hmmm, this sounds a lot like you aren't down with capitalism BQ

could it be that capitalism is hollow of answers for the new millennium?

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009

The Protagonist posted:

hmmm, this sounds a lot like you aren't down with capitalism BQ

could it be that capitalism is hollow of answers for the new millennium?

I think it's the plot to the book the time machine or something let me double check

Edit: yeah eloi and morlocks

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

like for instance right now if I'm on the bus and I don't want people near me I just start coughing and sneezing up a storm, but imagine those people need not fear my germs, how would I keep part of the bus safe from others

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Nigmaetcetera posted:

gently caress off nazi

okay check off one for keeping around fat people and degenerates when given the choice

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
If that means we can phase out the white menace that has plagued this planet for millennia I'm down with it.

Aug 4, 2010

sounds good to me, lets do it

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Celluloid Sam posted:

like for instance right now if I'm on the bus and I don't want people near me I just start coughing and sneezing up a storm, but imagine those people need not fear my germs, how would I keep part of the bus safe from others

the bus would be replaced with single-serve autos

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

The Protagonist posted:

the bus would be replaced with single-serve autos

I want to live in that world so bad. I can't wait for the technocratic dictatorship of the future.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

I can't wait for the technocratic dictatorship of the future.

good news friend, it's coming

i hope you're not attached to voting though

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

Anyone who uses the word "degenerate" is a nazi and should be subjected to heinous tortures. Same for "neoeugenics". If you want it to sound benign and not fascistic call it "genetic engineering". I'd be 100% behind genetic engineering.

Captain Splashback
Jan 1, 2007

BY APPOINTMENT TO HER MAJESTY
QUEEN ELIZABETH II
SPLASHBACK HOLDINGS LTD
PUCKINS AND PRINTERS PURVEYORS
I would think it's a social imperative to do better for one's self and for others, yes. Depending on who you ask, though, different social groups have different opinions on what doing better for one's self and for others really is. If we could all reach a consensus, could we absolutely trust that we were doing the right thing?

I dunno. I'm far too sleepy for this, so I'll resign with:

I'm never having kids. Do what you want OP.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Nigmaetcetera posted:

Anyone who uses the word "degenerate" is a nazi and should be subjected to heinous tortures. Same for "neoeugenics". If you want it to sound benign and not fascistic call it "genetic engineering". I'd be 100% behind genetic engineering.

that's what it is you goofball

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Celluloid Sam posted:

wait i lied, your anti-social tendencies may be removed in lieu of a new transit system, pending a comparative budget review

Digital Fingers
Sep 2, 2012

Nigmaetcetera posted:

gently caress off fatty

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

The Protagonist posted:

that's what it is you goofball

The word "eugenics" has connotations of people getting their nards chopped off, not retroviruses rewriting people's DNA so they produce hyper-intelligent children that are immune to all disease. Language matters!

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

Digital Fingers posted:

gently caress off fatty

Shut up I'm losing weight.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Nigmaetcetera posted:

The word "eugenics" has connotations

thats why i added the neo- prefix geeze

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry
Make it so that in order to get improved sight, cognition, respiratory and musculature function, etc. you also have to get brown or black skin. That'll filter out plenty of racists.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

The Protagonist posted:

thats why i added the neo- prefix geeze

That just makes it sound like neo-nazism

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

Nigmaetcetera posted:

That just makes it sound like neo-nazism

I was thinking more like Neo-Tokyo.

Digital Fingers
Sep 2, 2012

*a man is busy dropping cinder blocks on the head of some babies*

"thats NOT cool dude, infanticide is wrong"

"actually it's not infanticide, it's googagojakyoyomanohongen"

"o well... carry on then"

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

eliminating neurodiversity is obscene

*drops pants, takes a huge poo poo, rolls in the poo poo*

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

Digital Fingers posted:

"thats NOT cool dude, infanticide is wrong"

"actually it's not infanticide, it's googagojakyoyomanohongen"

"o well... carry on then"

googagojakyoyomanohongen is Dutch for "dropping cinder blocks on the heads of babies who have been genetically engineered to thrive upon such treatment"

Digital Fingers
Sep 2, 2012

Nigmaetcetera posted:

googagojakyoyomanohongen is Dutch for "dropping cinder blocks on the heads of babies who have been genetically engineered to thrive upon such treatment"

lol

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

why even bother if you're not going to commit some genocide as well

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

The Protagonist posted:

If the option exists to, via noninvasive gene therapy, eliminate disease and genetically inherited sickness and deficiency, and even improvements like limited calorie absorption which would lead to a healthier and more economically verdant society, are we not ethically and morally obligated to utilize said option?

Basically, if the capability to improve humanity exists by our own intervention, is there any cogent argument to be made for keeping around "God's children" or those who would undoubtedly steadfastly refuse such helpful interventions, ala vaccines?

No because it's triggering and invading snowflakes safe spaces.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Digital Fingers posted:

that sounds pretty invasive and therefore not relevant to the discussion taking place in this thread Hope This Helps

Digital Fingers
Sep 2, 2012

The Protagonist posted:

that sounds pretty invasive and therefore not relevant to the discussion taking place in this thread Hope This Helps

i was criticizing the thought that changing what term you use to describe an action turns that action into something different from what it is not comparing your OP to killing babies. calm down retard

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Removing suffering suggests that living in tortured agony is 'better' than living in blissful comfort.

And that's just not okay.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Digital Fingers posted:

i was criticizing the thought that changing what term you use to describe an action turns that action into something different from what it is not comparing your OP to killing babies. calm down retard

oh okay then consider me calmed, it's just that your post was easily connoted with an "olde-style" understanding of what eugenics was, not what it Could Be

wit
Jul 26, 2011

The Protagonist posted:

"any argument for keeping around..." I read this out loud and every dog in the neighbourhood woke up and started barking crazily as if they heard some shrill noise just above the range of human hearing.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

maybe consider reading the rest of the sentence wit

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
Ever see the movie Gattica? I watched it in high school astronomy class

wit
Jul 26, 2011

The Protagonist posted:

maybe consider reading the rest of the sentence wit
That's what a dogwhistle is though, something with a little "uhoh" phrase embedded in an otherwise reasonable sounding polite and rational sentence. People have been perfecting it for years to play within the rules of political correctness while getting a horrible politically incorrect message across.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

wit posted:

That's what a dogwhistle is though, something with a little "uhoh" phrase embedded in an otherwise reasonable sounding polite and rational sentence. People have been perfecting it for years to play within the rules of political correctness while getting a horrible politically incorrect message across.

both of you should shut up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

wit posted:

you probably think eliminating sickle cell anemia is racist

• Locked thread